Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

18 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, attack Brenda Tracy, rape survivor and generally unassailable person in general. Great idea. What's the matter, he couldn't get Jesus Christ to bad mouth him on twitter so he could call him a stupid piece of shit? Maybe he can throw some shade at Mother Theresa's ghost next. 

Mother Theresa was a heartless bitch

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Artie Fatso said:

Why is it amazing? It sounds like par for the course. Look no further than OSU defensive coordinator, Greg Schiano - a Penn State guy who personally witnessed sexual abuse by Sandusky and did nothing... 

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Or their offensive coordinator who was fired just last year for abusing players. Meyer will hire anybody that helps him win football games. 

and then there's Tim Beck!

You've got to question Urban Meyer's sanity for keeping a guy like this on his coaching staff so long.  Would you want Zach Smith coaching your son?  The guy is certifiable.

Nothing surprises me. Les Miles kept Les Miles on staff and he’s nuts.
  • Like 1

You've got to question Urban Meyer's sanity for keeping a guy like this on his coaching staff so long.  Would you want Zach Smith coaching your son?  The guy is certifiable.

Nothing surprises me. Les Miles kept Les Miles on staff and he’s nuts.

9 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

How long until osu wises up and pays ZS a chunk of money to stop tweeting?

Honestly, how was this not a part of the list of shit to do when they initially conceived of this farce to save Urban Meyer's job in the first place? The list should have included paying Smith off with a signed gag order, paying Courtney Smith off with the same, hiring a private investigator to dig deeply into McMurphy, and then having a sit down with him afterwards, with an offer to shut up or the info would be fed publicly through someone like Snook. That's basic corporate corruption strategy when a cover-up needs to happen. 

Given the amateur hour appearance of this stuff, I assume there's a bigger division in the rank and file of the power regime at OSU than we believe. Mary Jo White is not an amateur. I don't know what in the fuck is going on up there, but there's more to this ineptitude than we think.

I agree.  I have to think there is a faction in their BOR or administration that is trying to lead the university and fanbase down the path of eventually firing Meyer because they don't believe they can keep the details secret or simply don't want to.  Releasing all of this damning information just doesn't make any sense otherwise.  This is past the point where incompetence explains all of their actions.

Edited by kevwun

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I agree.  I have to think there is a faction in their BOR or administration that is trying to lead the university and fanbase down the path of eventually firing Meyer because they don't believe they can keep the details secret or simply don't want to.  Releasing all of this damning information just doesn't make any sense otherwise.  This is past the point where incompetence explains all of their actions.

It's my understanding that this info is coming out because they're finally complying with FOIA requests.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Honestly, how was this not a part of the list of shit to do when they initially conceived of this farce to save Urban Meyer's job in the first place? The list should have included paying Smith off with a signed gag order, paying Courtney Smith off with the same, hiring a private investigator to dig deeply into McMurphy, and then having a sit down with him afterwards, with an offer to shut up or the info would be fed publicly through someone like Snook. That's basic corporate corruption strategy when a cover-up needs to happen. 

Given the amateur hour appearance of this stuff, I assume there's a bigger division in the rank and file of the power regime at OSU than we believe. Mary Jo White is not an amateur. I don't know what in the fuck is going on up there, but there's more to this ineptitude than we think.

I think that they thought he would keep his mouth shut due to the shameful nature of the whole affair, like any "normal" person would.  They did not however take into account that he is far from "normal".   I also think that if they had paid him off to keep his mouth shut, it would have given him more ammunition to fire off during his current and/or upcoming  breakdown(s).  "Hey, see I told you I was right, now they're trying to give me hush money to keep quiet, the PROVES I'm telling the truth, yadayadayada.

This is going to turn out to be a long running shitshow that will stink more and more as the layers are peeled back, imo.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It's my understanding that this info is coming out because they're finally complying with FOIA requests.

That explains the 2nd information dump, but not releasing the investigation's report.  If you are planning to keep Meyer, making the report public was beyond stupid.

Edited by kevwun

Just now, kevwun said:

That explains the 2nd information dump, but not releasing the investigation's report.  If you are planning to keep Meyer, making the report public was beyond stupid.

They're not Baylor.  They're a public entity.  They were going to have to release the report one way or another.

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Yeah. This isn't some sort of counter-subcounter espionage going on to nudge UM out at the end of the year. It's the school complying with federal law and it demonstrates how "thorough" their "investigation" was. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I think they are being overly generous with the information now to try and smooth over the fact that that one of the key phones in the investigation was purposefully wiped clean to hide information.

Guys they are running this playbook perfectly. Do a quick and dirty half ass investigation to ensure he gets cleared quickly. Then drip out all of the unsavory information after the fact in slow drips so that people don’t work up into a frenzy over the information, thus ensuring he stays employed.

They are totally controlling the process in the most optimal way to ensure public scrutiny doesn’t take him down. They NEVER really intended to really investigate this. All they are doing is trying to look responsive in the eyes of the public.

39 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Guys they are running this playbook perfectly. Do a quick and dirty half ass investigation to ensure he gets cleared quickly. Then drip out all of the unsavory information after the fact in slow drips so that people don’t work up into a frenzy over the information, thus ensuring he stays employed.

They are totally controlling the process in the most optimal way to ensure public scrutiny doesn’t take him down. They NEVER really intended to really investigate this. All they are doing is trying to look responsive in the eyes of the public.

Ironically, I believe it is doing the opposite. Most people are focused on Saturday and by dripping this out in small doses, they are keeping the story alive.

36 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Ironically, I believe it is doing the opposite. Most people are focused on Saturday and by dripping this out in small doses, they are keeping the story alive.

It gives plenty of talking points to ask the coach before the game, and stuff to talk about during halftime if the Buckeyes are blowing the teeth off the Beavers...

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I assume that OSU concluded that paying off Smith in connection with his termination for domestic violence would have looked worse than him making a fool of himself on twitter.

Hiring a PI to dig for info on McMurphy is a non-starter for a public institution in the FOIA world.  Even through surrogates, the risk of leaks is too significant.

Courtney Smith probably isn't interested in signing an NDA at this point.

The bottom line is that Meyer, his program and much of tOSU leadership believe that Courtney Smith is at least as culpable as Zach Smith.  The entire saga is comprehensible through that lens, misguided as their conclusion may be.

22 minutes ago, bamachine said:

At least one person with ties to the program has a shred of integrity...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/sports/ohio-state-trustee-resigns-urban-meyer.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytsports

I think the real reason that trustee resigned is because Tom Herman went to a strip club.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, alincoln said:

I assume that OSU concluded that paying off Smith in connection with his termination for domestic violence would have looked worse than him making a fool of himself on twitter.

Hiring a PI to dig for info on McMurphy is a non-starter for a public institution in the FOIA world.  Even through surrogates, the risk of leaks is too significant.

Courtney Smith probably isn't interested in signing an NDA at this point.

The bottom line is that Meyer, his program and much of tOSU leadership believe that Courtney Smith is at least as culpable as Zach Smith.  The entire saga is comprehensible through that lens, misguided as their conclusion may be.

What I was referencing would be shit that is done at beyond arm's length from the university. I mean way away from being able to link back to the school. None of it would be above board. It happens quite often anyway.