Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Anyone else reading this as though it's directed to anyone at osu having second thoughts about their decision, vs directed to the general public?

That's my thought on a gut level with a warning shot to OSU but especially to try and prevent one or more trustees to resign as well.  It makes little sense strategically for the general public to me.  

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I assume that's on Twitter? People who twitter should simply respond with:

"The Investigative Report also found that YOU WIPED YOUR PHONE to hide incriminating evidence, YOU LIED TO INVESTIGATORS, and YOU FALSELY ACCUSED Courtney Smith of recanting her allegation."

Done and done.

1znlzcm.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chili dog said:

He’s feeling this on the recruiting trail. He’s hoping recruits and their families will read his words and not the report. What a lying slime ball. 

This stuff is like a Scientology press release. They know the people with half a brain non-believers see through the bullshit, but it's done to minimize cognitive dissonance among the people who've already chugged a healthy helping of tOSU Kool-Aid and keep those poor idiots committed to the cause.

• Like 1

urban's statement reminds me of the directv commercial that's been coming on non-stop, where the installer kinda hears what he wants to hear and repeats it.

it's pretty ugly.

yep, it's pretty right.

nope, it's super ugly.

super too.  yep.  can you go online and put that in a review?

yeah, i'm gonna do a review all right.

but with those words?

yeah, i've got words.

look at (parts of) the internal report!  they say i'm (sort of) innocent!

10 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

This stuff is like a Scientology press release. They know the people with half a brain non-believers see through the bullshit, but it's done to minimize cognitive dissonance among the people who've already chugged a healthy helping of tOSU Kool-Aid and keep those poor idiots committed to the cause.

To me, it reminds me of a classic alcoholic.  The first step is admitting you have a problem.  Urban doesn't believe he has a problem.   

A classic narcissistic arrogant prick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

The thing about fake heart disease is that it can result in fake heart attacks anytime. Very hard illness to predict sometimes.

And on top of that, the medicine he takes for his fake heart disease leads to fake memory loss.  This guy has a rough life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stella Link said:

To me, it reminds me of a classic alcoholic.  The first step is admitting you have a problem.  Urban doesn't believe he has a problem.   

A classic narcissistic arrogant prick.

Agree 100%.

My psychologist/psychiatrist friends would probably throw a fit over my "diagnosing" Meyer from afar, but yeah - his behavior is a classic example of why narcissists and people with ASPD are so freaking hard to treat. He just appears to be psychologically incapable of realizing that he fucked up at all, let alone fucked up REALLY REALLY bad.

• Like 1

So many good quotes to chose, so much circular logic. This is my favorite part:

"While those denials were plainly not accurate, Coach Meyer did not, in our view, deliberately lie."

Wait...no, no.

I like the line about being sure that if Urbs knew about the domestic violence, he would have fired Coach Smith on the spot.

Uh, why?  He didn't fire him at Florida when it happened, and he re-hired him at OSU.  Why would he fire him now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Some of you guys are misreading the situation. The OSU story isn’t gaining momentum. A groundswell isn’t happening. All that’s happening are a few lingering comments and questions. This is over and done with. OSU and Meyer are totally in the clear. The only thing that re-ignites the issue is some additional, new, major fact that comes out that demonstrates another major error. We live in an ADHD news world. This story will burn out shortly.

What's funny is that you would probably be right if we didn't have the Zach Smith day drinking show on Twitter, osu announcing more document releases, the poorly planned Herman story, and Urban releasing statements every few days to keep this at the top of the headlines.

For those reasons, it is absolutely not dying, and if anything is gaining momentum. 

What's funny is that you would probably be right if we didn't have the Zach Smith day drinking show on Twitter, osu announcing more document releases, the poorly planned Herman story, and Urban releasing statements every few days to keep this at the top of the headlines.
For those reasons, it is absolutely not dying, and if anything is gaining momentum. 

OSU document release is right according to their plan. They have to release it all because of FOIA. They are just sneaking it all out the best they can.

Herman story is part of the diversion plan and the best they could come up with given the circumstances.

Urban statements are part of the plan, meant to build support for him.

The one wrench in the plan, and it’s a big one, is the drunken tweeting by the wife abuser. That isn’t part of the plan but probably won’t hurt them because it’s drawing attention to him rather than OSU or UM.

If you still believe this thing is going somewhere, just tell me where. Urban gone? No way. OSU probation? Nope. What then? AD fired? Who gives a shit. That isn’t a big deal.

I don’t see anything more significant coming out of this.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

OSU document release is right according to their plan. They have to release it all because of FOIA. They are just sneaking it all out the best they can.

Herman story is part of the diversion plan and the best they could come up with given the circumstances.

Urban statements are part of the plan, meant to build support for him.

The one wrench in the plan, and it’s a big one, is the drunken tweeting by the wife abuser. That isn’t part of the plan but probably won’t hurt them because it’s drawing attention to him rather than OSU or UM.

If you still believe this thing is going somewhere, just tell me where. Urban gone? No way. OSU probation? Nope. What then? AD fired? Who gives a shit. That isn’t a big deal.

I don’t see anything more significant coming out of this.

I'm not sure if it ever amounts to anything or not.  I am sure that anything that bumps this story up in the headlines again is a bad thing for osu, so if this is according to plan, it's a bad plan. 

3 hours ago, Eddyline said:

For this, and Corch working to get rid of texts on his phone, he and Smith should be fired.

--------------------

“We attempted to, but were unable to retrieve text messages for certain witnesses,” the report states, “including AD Smith, Brian Voltolini, Chief of Football Operations, and Zach Smith.”

Think about that: Investigators could not access relevant records from Ohio State’s athletic director, head coach, chief of football operations or the assistant coach at the center of the scandal. To a man, they are paid by state money. And subject to public records laws.

Ohio State’s own website stresses that under the law, “public records are the people’s records, and the officials in whose custody they happen to be are merely trustees for the people.” It would appear that certain of Ohio State’s athletic staff are pretty lousy stewards.

“At Ohio State, we hold public records in trust for the people we serve,” the website states. “Providing prompt access to the public records we create and receive in the course of our work is a fundamental compliance responsibility.”

• Like 1

Interesting move to re-state why you were suspended when the reasons have already been released by the party performing the suspension on you.

If you parse the words from the investigation, I read it that Urban Meyer did not tell the truth to the media but he provided the investigation board with cover information to say he unintentionally did not tell the truth.  in other words, he lied but had reasons.      

""Coach Meyer, in our view, did not deliberately lie."

• they admit he did not tell the truth
  • they can understand why others will believe he lied hence the "in our view"

In earlier parts of the findings they state that Meyer falsely made a statement to the media.  How is that not lying?

My guess is that Meyer's and his attorney attempted to get the board to say he didn't lie.  The board countered with that in their view, he didn't deliberately lie.  Meyer most likely fought that statement but the board wouldn't budge further.  Now he is pushing his view even though it doesn't match the board findings.

13 hours ago, Lhorn said:

So this was released by OSU, not NCAA?  That to me suggests that are not concerned that there was any NCAA violations.  Therefore they are releasing this for what?  Seems like to spread the shit around.  Bring anyone not currently valuable to Ohio State into their shit storm.  Nice!  They need to own their own dirt.  They gave Urban a slap on the wrist for covering up spousal abuse to save freakin' WR coach, but "Tom Herman went to a strip club everybody!  Look at him!"

Deflection/distraction : standard PR operating procedures.

Not surprised, the schills in the pro OSU media will also play it up.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Interesting move to re-state why you were suspended when the reasons have already been released by the party performing the suspension on you.

If you parse the words from the investigation, I read it that Urban Meyer did not tell the truth to the media but he provided the investigation board with cover information to say he unintentionally did not tell the truth.  in other words, he lied but had reasons.      

""Coach Meyer, in our view, did not deliberately lie."

• they admit he did not tell the truth
  • they can understand why others will believe he lied hence the "in our view"

In earlier parts of the findings they state that Meyer falsely made a statement to the media.  How is that not lying?

My guess is that Meyer's and his attorney attempted to get the board to say he didn't lie.  The board countered with that in their view, he didn't deliberately lie.  Meyer most likely fought that statement but the board wouldn't budge further.  Now he is pushing his view even though it doesn't match the board findings.

It depends on what is  deliberately is.  

4 hours ago, Chili dog said:

I hope their whole athletic department implodes over this. 

Dude, if Baylor, Michigan State and Penn State are still in business, Ohio State has nothing to worry about. It *might* cost them Urban Meyer at some point, though.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 2

Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone LIES, DESTROYS EVIDENCE, COVERS UP ABUSE, DISCOURAGES FILING CHARGES, whatever. I think that people need a second chance, and I've always looked up to COACH MEYER, and I always will.

tpOSU wisdom from another great, edited for application here

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm not sure if it ever amounts to anything or not.  I am sure that anything that bumps this story up in the headlines again is a bad thing for osu, so if this is according to plan, it's a bad plan. 

Exactly. And it keeps the very reporters he lied to focused on OSU. If they see even a bread crumb of a story they will post/print. He lets this die they find something else to do. 

Though I also believe the trustee that cut and run is a problem for OSU. That guy has a legitimate resume, and doesn’t need the attention. By submitting his resignation along with a statement reiterating that the punishment was not severe enough is a very big deal to me.

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If the Buckeyes fail to win the B1G east, or lose to Michigan, it will lay at the feet of Urban getting this whole situation in a mess, when he could have avoided it all years ago in releasing Zach of all duties to the university, and dissociating himself from the guy...

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Dude, if Baylor, Michigan State and Penn State are still in business, Ohio State has nothing to worry about. It *might* cost them Urban Meyer at some point, though.

I'd still say about a 45% chance Meyer will get fired, the Buckeyes have dug themselves in a corner...

4 minutes ago, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

And backed themselves into a hole

Yes...

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

And shit an egg.

And laid the bed.

And yes again, the current administration is screwed, if Meyer is fired, it shows the lack of judgemental competency of the school who kept him in the 1st place, in my opinion...