2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

19 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I know Overshown was getting some reps with the 1s, but wasn't he considered the backup in reality? It sucks not to have him, but the 1 should be available.

Overshown's injury hurts for his development. We need to groom him for next year when Gary leaves, because it's quite possible he's our future rover.

Dele's injury hurts more for this season.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I know Overshown was getting some reps with the 1s, but wasn't he considered the backup in reality? It sucks not to have him, but the 1 should be available.

He was moved due to the injury of another LB. Hopefully McCulloch can return and get some snaps against Maryland.

26 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Welcome LTtxfan. I know you from over on 247, but I (seldomly) post and read via a different handle here so I can openly say things like "FCB," for instance. You're going to like it here.

Thanks MuellerHorn

Been reading Surly for awhile, just decided it's time to come out of the shadows..... lots of good stuff here, and enjoy how folks can be honest about crap from certain media covering HORNS.

Btw.....FCB  and FBohls💥💥💥

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Are the USC tickets automatic with this purchase? I bought the pass but didn’t see where to select the games. 

http://desktop.expapp.com/txfb/pass_select (under FAQ) - i think you need to wait until the 31st to be able to reserve your vouchers. I couldn't log on from my mobile. 

Edited by TXs

Regarding Flex Pass, as noted, it seems you can’t do anything until August 31st.

I never saw anything guarantee USC tickets: but if you do get tickets to the Trojans, you’ll be limited to two. Since there is the two ticket limit, and they presumably kept the Flex Pass to 199 users, that should only be a 398 ticket pull for these purchasers, so they will hopefully have enough on reserve for those of us who pulled the trigger.

Again, as I understand it, you don’t have to go to the USC game, but if you do get the max two tickets to that one, then you can get 8 more the rest of the season. If you want to use all 8 vouchers on one game (other than SC), you can do so.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Regarding Flex Pass, as noted, it seems you can’t do anything until August 31st.

I never saw anything guarantee USC tickets: but if you do get tickets to the Trojans, you’ll be limited to two. Since there is the two ticket limit, and they presumably kept the Flex Pass to 199 users, that should only be a 398 ticket pull for these purchasers, so they will hopefully have enough on reserve for those of us who pulled the trigger.

Again, as I understand it, you don’t have to go to the USC game, but if you do get the max two tickets to that one, then you can get 8 more the rest of the season. If you want to use all 8 vouchers on one game (other than SC), you can do so.

This. The 2 USC tickets pretty much pays for the entire thing. I'll use the rest to take the wife and kiddo (who don't even watch the game), or just invite some buddies. The FAQ even mentions you can transfer a voucher - I wonder if you can "transfer" (ie sell) to anyone. 

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Before anyone considers posting any fictitious $9.95 updates tomorrow, consider this:

FCB_School.jpg 

My CFB withdrawal has led me to read his practice reports the last two days but I have refrained from posting them here because I wouldn't do that to you guys. Nothing interesting anyways. FCB. 

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Right, because we're the only team in football dealing with injury issues.

The key is avoiding injuries to starters. Not to say that injuries to "depth" doesn't have an impact but what really killed us last year were injuries to starters. By week 3 last year we were already down 3 likely starters on offense (Beck, Rodriguez and Williams). Knock on wood but we haven't lost a projected starter yet unless the Davante Davis injury is more serious than expected. 

As for LBer, I wouldn't be shocked if Bimage is moved back to LBer as depth for a few games. The top 3 DEs are likely Omenihu, Hager and Graham. Christmas-Giles is apparently having a good fall camp too. Bimage is at best the 4th or 5th option at DE right now. 

Bimage is at 255 but he's not much larger than Adeoye. Bimage was also recruited at LBer and has already got some reps at LBer in practices/camps in Orlando's system. It seems to me that moving Bimage to LB is a logical move at this point. 

• Like 1

I think I just read the article that will finally make CTJ jump. Suzanne at the local paper writes:

We’re taking a tour of the top quarterback, running back and wide receiver of every Big 12 team.

Today’s triplets: Texas.

QB: Sam Ehlinger (2017 — 158 of 275 for 1,915 yards, 11 TDs and 7 INTs; Texas history — Started 6 games as a freshman and also was the Longhorns’ leading rusher, becoming the first UT player to lead the team in passing and rushing in the same season since Colt McCoy in 2008).

RB: Kyle Porter (2017 — 83 carries for 261 yards and 4 TDs; Texas history — Has played in 23 career games, with 3 starts).

WR: Collin Johnson (2017 — Led the team with 54 catches for 765 yards and 2 TDs; Texas history — Started 9 games in 2017, when he also passed the 1,000-yard career mark and became the 24th player in UT history to have more than 50 catches in a season).

Her pick for “top” running back is the obvious WTF? I mean, WTF.

https://www.hookem.com/story/triplets-big-12-texas-xxxxx/?utm_source=newspaper&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5560864&ecmp=newspaper_email&

Wheeler is only out the first half right? Wouldn’t it be Johnson, Wheeler, Roach?

If so, you only need Mcculloch to play a half before we have all our starters on the field. Then maybe by USC week you have the depth again.

as far as injuries go it sucks that it’s to a position group with little depth, but it’s not starters or anything or injuries on the OL.

Wheeler is only out the first half right? Wouldn’t it be Johnson, Wheeler, Roach?
If so, you only need Mcculloch to play a half before we have all our starters on the field. Then maybe by USC week you have the depth again.
as far as injuries go it sucks that it’s to a position group with little depth, but it’s not starters or anything or injuries on the OL.

You will be held responsible if you jinx the OL.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

The main thing is we need Johnson, Wheeler, Roach and McCulloch to say healthy.

Even before the other injuries/attrition that was the case because of inexperience (Adeoye/Overshown) and a drop off in talent (Townsend, Boyd, and so on). 

Which is why if capable I would move Bimage to LB. It would give us a 5th capable body at the position that's 1) not a true fish and 2) isn't a complete jag. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

I think I just read the article that will finally make CTJ jump. Suzanne at the local paper writes:

Her pick for “top” running back is the obvious WTF? I mean, WTF.

https://www.hookem.com/story/triplets-big-12-texas-xxxxx/?utm_source=newspaper&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5560864&ecmp=newspaper_email&

Suzanne Halliburton is less informed than the majority of this board. I’m guessing she got her news on this one by reviewing the print version of all of the box scores from last season. She did that over a nice cup of black coffee and a bran muffin, for fiber.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Im thinking we should call the Tulsa game the Red Shirt bowl. And only play freshmen and others that arent in the 2 deep just as soon as we get up by 3 scores. Or sooner.