2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

995 report (OB)

Spoiler

Texas held its second scrimmage of the pre-season this morning and I was able to talk to a couple sources to get some notes. Let’s get right to it … some of the highlights …

First off, I’m told the atmosphere was “great.” Families of the players were in attendance and one person told me there was a sense of ease in the air, but the scrimmage was also very serious, very organized.

“There was a lot of intensity,” one source said. Tom Herman emphasized several times that he wanted intensity on every single rep.

Sam Ehlinger was the first QB to take reps in the pre-scrimmage positional drills, but it was Shane Buechele who took the first-team reps on the first drive of the scrimmage. I’m told he led the offense down the field for a short field goal on that drive and did a good job of mixing in short and intermediate passes and screens.

Collin Johnson, Devin Duvernay and Lil’Jordan Humphrey started at receiver and all caught balls on the drive, mostly Duvernay and Humphrey.

The run game on the opening drive was pretty stagnant. One person told me Tre Watson looked the best and he was the first back on the field, followed by Daniel Young.

Calvin Anderson and Denzel Okafor both got work at first-team left tackle.

One source said the scrimmage seemed to be about establishing depth, as Cam Rising and Casey Thompson seemed to take the majority of the reps. Of the two freshmen, I’m told Rising looks more comfortable in the pocket and he throws a much nicer ball. In fact, one source said of all four QBs, Rising threw down the field the most by far. One viewer did say Rising is holding the ball a bit too long though … his reads were on point, but the ball would sometimes arrive a tick late, resulting in a few drops or pass break-ups. 

No shock here, but Thompson looked like the most athletic QB on the roster. One person said he runs “smooth as silk.”

Ehlinger was described as “scrappy and so competitive.” From what I’m told, Ehlinger took the fourth series (it was the second series of the scrimmage with the first-team offense), and after converting a 4th-and-2 on his own side of the field with a QB sweep to the right for about 15 yards, he later hit Tre Watson in the end zone for a touchdown. On the play, Watson was lined up wide and apparently made a very good catch. I’m told the pass was a bit of a floater but Watson made a nice adjustment to make the play.

Buechele got a few more series after the opening drive. One was a 3-and-out and another stalled pretty quickly. He did finally get things going again on his last series, connecting with a screen pass to the right to Jerrod Heard who made a nice move at the line of scrimmage and ended up turning it into a sizable gain. Several plays later, Buechele connected again with Heard on about a 40-yard pass down the sideline. I’m told the play would have been a TD Heard stepped out a couple yards shy of the end zone.

Kyle Porter finished that drive off a couple plays later for the TD. I’m told Porter didn’t get a ton of PT and most of it seemed to be short yardage and goal line stuff.

Ehlinger got one other drive and it resulted in another touchdown. I’m told on that drive, his biggest play was a running play where he went head up with Cameron Townsend and “floored” him. That play actually let to a brief scuffle between both sides of the ball.

As I said earlier … intense scrimmage.

I’m told Ehlinger looked very good in the short passing game today. He didn’t really attempt much downfield. I’m also told Ehlinger continues to sense pressure much better than Buechele.

One observer told me D’Shawn Jamison made an impression on offense. 

“He's skinny but fast as hell and even shiftier,” the source said.

On one play, Rising hit him with a pitch behind the line of scrimmage and Jamison shook free for about a 70-yard TD. I believe he scored a second TD in the scrimmage as well.

One observer said the running game overall “looks a bit of a work in progress” and there weren’t a lot of holes for the back. Watson had the best day overall.

Caden Sterns and Brandon Jones started at safety. Good news there since Sterns was banged up a little earlier in the week.

Andrew Beck moved around quite a bit and lined up all over the place. I’m told he had a couple catches.

Defensively, I’m told the QBs faced quite a bit of pressure and the front seven looked really good today.

“Hager is a complete badass. Just has another gear from everyone else on the field,” one observer said.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Plus Ehlinger is limited in the running game which is probably his strength. These type settings definitely favor Buechele. 

This isn't Simms/Applewhite. The knock on Buechele is not only that he has happy feet, but that he can't stay healthy more than two games at a time. 

58 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

yeah, i won't be surprised if Carter transfers either. Based on the TFB report above he might be the 5th string RB right now. 

In today's college football world players transfer if they aren't getting 1st team reps so yeah. 

RBs get banged up a lot though. With Kirk Johnson's injury history, Porter's general ineptitude, and our constant rotation of RBs it's not hard to imagine Carter getting significant touches if he could hold on to the football. Would be unfortunate to lose him.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

RBs get banged up a lot though. With Kirk Johnson's injury history, Porter's general ineptitude, and our constant rotation of RBs it's not hard to imagine Carter getting significant touches if he could hold on to the football. Would be unfortunate to lose him.

I think it has more to do with than just "fumbles". 

It's known that Herman likes RBs that can catch the ball out of the backfield. Just see the RBs in recruiting (Brown and Ingram). Ingram, Watson and Johnson are probably the best 3 pass catching RBs on the roster. 

That TFB report above screams to me that Herman wants guys that can be involved in the passing game. Beyond just fumbles I think Ingram, Watson, Johnson are better fits with what Herman wants to do. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Buchele has always been a practice superstar. Swoopes was the same. Once the big lights come on, and pressure comes, they fold like a cheap suit. Buchele can’t throw over the middle, self sacks every other play, and if his first read isn’t there, we fucked. I’m not buying any of this shit. There are 3 fucking years of evidence. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Buchele has always been a practice superstar. Swoopes was the same. Once the big lights come on, and pressure comes, they fold like a cheap suit. Buchele can’t throw over the middle, self sacks every other play, and if his first read isn’t there, we fucked. I’m not buying any of this shit. There are 3 fucking years of evidence. 

Yeah can't help but think bout all the bs that was being fed about Tyrone turning corner every fall camp. Now it sounds like the same is being done with Buechele. Guess we'll find out for sure but I'm not holding my breath

22 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yeah can't help but think bout all the bs that was being fed about Tyrone turning corner every fall camp. Now it sounds like the same is being done with Buechele. Guess we'll find out for sure but I'm not holding my breath

Practice is where Shane can shine. He can’t get hit and doesn’t have to  scramble, and as such keeps his eyes up and shows off his passing ability. 

Practice is where you get to see what Shane could do if gifted a good OL and rushing attack. This is also the second year in a system where Shane is actually reading a defense instead of the simplified stuff of the V/S.  He’s getting better at it  

The games are where Ehlinger’s game is better suited to shine given our current roster makeup. 

Both will play a lot of snaps. 

Gotta feel for Curtis as he was all burnt orange all the time and by all accounts a positive influence on the team. The writing was on the wall for him with Dshawn switching over and Moore being better than expected earlier. Good luck to him, I bet he'd kill at a place like Arizona under Rumlin.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The o line has been below average for 3 fucking years

hes been lucky to get a first read.

if the Oline improves so will his play.

SB needs more than 1 second from his oline.

but hey

Sure. any other quarterback can play behind a bad oline and still have stellar numbers.

if the oline can give SB time to play to his strengths he will do fine.

Edited by TexasTroll
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TexasTroll said:

but hey

Sure. any other quarterback can play behind a bad oline and still have stellar numbers.

He had a 2K rusher is 1st season and a QB friendly offense. He still lost to fucking Kansas.

• Like 1

He also crushes it in qb camps and will destroy you in a skills competition, but bring a little back side pressure and cover that first read in a live game? Hard to coach the jitters out.

59 minutes ago, TexasTroll said:

but hey

Sometime a QB can make the Oline look better. This is not one of those cases.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think it has more to do with than just "fumbles". 

It's known that Herman likes RBs that can catch the ball out of the backfield. Just see the RBs in recruiting (Brown and Ingram). Ingram, Watson and Johnson are probably the best 3 pass catching RBs on the roster. 

That TFB report above screams to me that Herman wants guys that can be involved in the passing game. Beyond just fumbles I think Ingram, Watson, Johnson are better fits with what Herman wants to do. 

The one thing that Carter has demonstrated is the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.  

21 minutes ago, cafe society said:

The one thing that Carter has demonstrated is the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.  

He had 6 catches for 31 yards last year.

Now maybe the staff underutilized Carter in that role but I have a hard time believing a guy with fumblitis has all that great of hands in the receiving game. 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

yeah, i won't be surprised if Carter transfers either. Based on the TFB report above he might be the 5th string RB right now. 

In today's college football world players transfer if they aren't getting 1st team reps so yeah. 

He shouldn’t , Watson and Johnson are both gone next year. This is the kind of attrition we don’t need 

24 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

He shouldn’t , Watson and Johnson are both gone next year. This is the kind of attrition we don’t need 

Johnson is a JR. He isn't "gone" unless you mean injury issues or a transfer. 

I don't want Carter to transfer and think he can get some reps in the future. I won't be shocked if he transfers though. A guy that wanted playing time as a true fish likely isn't pleased with being the 5th string RB (if the TFB reports are correct). 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Practice is where Shane can shine. He can’t get hit and doesn’t have to  scramble, and as such keeps his eyes up and shows off his passing ability. 

Practice is where you get to see what Shane could do if gifted a good OL and rushing attack. This is also the second year in a system where Shane is actually reading a defense instead of the simplified stuff of the V/S.  He’s getting better at it  

The games are where Ehlinger’s game is better suited to shine given our current roster makeup. 

Both will play a lot of snaps. 

God I hope not. If this is true its going to be another terrible season. Shane is not good. He had a few good games in Gilberts Offense, but once DC's started figuring out how to take the 1st read away. He would get hit and the deer in headlights look ever since.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

He had 6 catches for 31 yards last year.

Now maybe the staff underutilized Carter in that role but I have a hard time believing a guy with fumblitis has all that great of hands in the receiving game. 

Then you haven't paid close enough attention.  Carter demonstrated good hands before he ever got here.  The staff didn't underutilize him so much as Young outperformed him in assignment reliability.  The passes Young caught?  Those routes were all plays that Carter excels/excelled at, too.  Young blocks better and doesn't fumble.  And now is not the time to express confidence in Beck merely in order to bolster a false narrative about Carter.  He is a dynamic receiver out of the backfield.

27 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

God I hope not. If this is true its going to be another terrible season. Shane is not good. He had a few good games in Gilberts Offense, but once DC's started figuring out how to take the 1st read away. He would get hit and the deer in headlights look ever since.

Shane isn’t terrible. We’d hate him if he played for OU and had a better supporting cast  

The V/S is by design a 1-2 read offense to one side of the field on probably 80+ % RPO’s. He wasn’t supposed to make more reads than that. It’s why it’s a QB friendly offense. 

Last year was Shane’s first year reading defenses in a conventional offense in college. It showed. I don’t think he’ll be the starter once Ehlinger’s legs start making a differenxenfor our hopefully average OL, but  the season isn’t tanked if he has to start 4-5 games either. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 5