Perfect Casting

Goo Punch

Robert Duvall in pretty much everything.  Great Santini, Godfather I & II, Apocalypse Now, Lonesome Dove, Tender Mercies, The Apostle, and for a change of pace, Colors with the no-talent Sean Penn.

I was an extra in Tender Mercies... /csb

Both of them

928585ce198a9ebbe81a3dfceaa49dc9.png

12 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I was an extra in Tender Mercies... /csb

Both of them

928585ce198a9ebbe81a3dfceaa49dc9.png

Fats for damn sure.  Fast Eddie could have maybe been a very short list of a couple guys, but damned if Newman wasn't amazing.

Cool hand Luke would be my choice for his career in the perfect role.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

16 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

And in honor of Robert Redford retiring I submit the greatness of Jeremiah Johnson. You young guys that haven’t seen this masterpiece, do yourself a favor...

5269f494195d328aad9af4c2021195e6.jpeg

A movie I saw in the theater when I was 12 or so.   I was ready to put on the buckskins and head out west. Asked for a Hawkins for about 3 Christmas's never did get one.  Penneys sold a Hawkins build a gun kit I think. 

Definitely my favorite movie as a kid, and still one of my top 10 favorites.  That was a perfect role for him then for damn sure

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

there's a whole bunch of answers in here that are naming popular roles that could have been played by any number of actors. way too many to quote. 

While this is true, the thread isn’t called “roles that could only have been played by ....”. So just go with it.

Or better yet, start a thread called “iconic roles that could have been just as kick ass with another actor playing it”.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRArxpePk19bXuID-iTADJm6YHmE2eya4OTdosuqPs_CwG5l-kJ

Everything he did was gold. EVERYTHING. Would be considered an all-timer had cancer not ended him too early. Perfect example of an actor who makes the role - he often stole scenes despite being a secondary character. (Probably not a great casting, but a stellar actor who makes directors look good regardless of the role.)

My list of actors and performances that define the character:

F. Murray Abraham (and lifetime Longhorn) - Salieri, Amadeus (takes a villain without arc and infuses depth and sympathy in one of the most masterful performances ever to the point that another actor, Hulce, with a clumsy and trite performance gets elevated to an Oscar nomination just for being within Abraham's Salieri gravity sphere)
Tim Curry - Frankenfurter, Rocky Horror Picture Show (good luck getting ANYONE else to turn in a comparable performance)
Ryan Reynolds - Deadpool, Deadpool (there is no movie, much less franchise, without this casting)
  • Like 1

My list of actors and performances that define the character:

Hulce, with a clumsy and trite performance gets elevated to an Oscar nomination just for being within Abraham's Salieri gravity sphere)

Hulce was amazing as well. He played him as a manic depressive, whimsical then sullen. Joyful, then cruel, finally leading to the tragic conclusion. You could make the argument that Abraham was the lead, with Hulce the supporting actor. But to disparage Pinto’s is off the mark.