2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, Teddy Tucker said:

I wonder how long it’s going to take some of y’all to realize how good Giles is

He needs to prove it in the playoffs first. I still don’t trust him to get the job done in October. He is doing well now and it’s great to see.

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Oooh show me please. Lucky for you guys, a Yankees sweep would mean that they'd leave Houston on a 12 game winning streak, which is pretty damn impossible for a non-Indians team to do. I'm feeling a split or a 3-1 Yankee series win if they catch some breaks. P.S. good luck keeping Stanton out of the Crawford boxes. 

YawningAgedBasil-size_restricted.gif

How ya feeling now bitch

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Oooh show me please. Lucky for you guys, a Yankees sweep would mean that they'd leave Houston on a 12 game winning streak, which is pretty damn impossible for a non-Indians team to do. I'm feeling a split or a 3-1 Yankee series win if they catch some breaks. P.S. good luck keeping Stanton out of the Crawford boxes. 

YawningAgedBasil-size_restricted.gif

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Roles are always evolving in Hinch’s bullpen, and Ken Giles’ recent improvement better frees up Devenski for the dangerous lefties. In a 1-2-3 ninth against Giancarlo Stanton, Gary Sanchez and Aaron Hicks, Giles struck out the side in a dominant 13-pitch frame. He induced four swing-and-misses on his slider, matching his total in his first 10 appearances.

“I went out there with a mission and just threw everything with conviction and just trusted my stuff overall,” Giles said. “That was one of the better feeling days all season. All I’m happy about is I’m trending the right way and all of the hard work I’ve been doing in between games and all of my learning experiences I’m finally putting to use.”

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

How many fans were killed by 300 mph Stanton missles into the boxes tonight? Just checking. 

Apparently none. However, up in section 325 we could certainly feel the breeze from his swings and misses. 

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Ken Fucking Giles. 7 straight appearances without giving up a hit or walk. 

Very happy for him. And us. I like it when our players play well. I like winning. I like the Yankees losing. This is nice.

I love this baseball team.

7 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

He needs to prove it in the playoffs first. I still don’t trust him to get the job done in October. He is doing well now and it’s great to see.

We proved last year he isn't key to playoff success. It would make things a lot more comfortable but not 100% necessary. 

However over the course of a long season he is absolutely essential and has performed well so far.  Keep it up big man. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teddy Tucker said:

I wonder how long it’s going to take some of y’all to realize how good Giles is

I'm willing to be persuaded, for sure.

I was riding the hell outta Marwin in that opening series of the year, and it was justified.  He was being a little bitch at the plate to the point that he even got ejected.  Dude is playing his butt off.

Players are gonna have bumps in the road.  It's awesome seeing them work through it.  It's even awesomer to see the team carry them and maintain expectations.

I’m happy for all our guys when they play well. We all know that won’t be every day of their Houston careers. The idea obviously is to have enough studs playing near their talent level at any one time that we’re always competitive. When that happens, I like our chances...again.

The problem starts when the only guy who truly controls the game (the one with the ball in his hand between plays) can’t execute. It was true when we were screaming for Gerg to be pushed aside in favor of Giles. The day will come when Giles gets pushed aside for someone else. But the way he’s pitching right now, I hope that day is far off. He’s been lights out lately. 

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

Looking back, we should have won that game handily. Need to score when we have those opportunities, good thing we can try again today

Yeah. Glad to have won, the pitching was great, but the bats weren't impressive. Gray isn't that good and we left a lot of guys on base. It happens.

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

Looking back, we should have won that game handily. Need to score when we have those opportunities, good thing we can try again today

It's always fun to score a lot of runs but I get a lot of satisfaction out of winning close low scoring games also.  It'll make the team better down the road to win these types of games consistently.

31 minutes ago, huge said:

The guy reached over the fence and interfered?

7 minutes ago, mbtex said:

It looked like to me at the time that the ball hit on top of Piscotty's closed glove. It would not have been a catch.

And why was his glove closed?  Maybe because when reaching up it hit the guys hands, maybe?

52 minutes ago, WBT said:

Good win last night.  Josh Hader would sure look good as our lefty in the pen right about now.  F'ing Fiers and Gomez man.

I had the same exact thought seeing this headline this morning: “Hader's gonna 8: Brewers closer's K feat never seen before”

12 minutes ago, WBT said:

The guy reached over the fence and interfered?

And why was his glove closed?  Maybe because when reaching up it hit the guys hands, maybe?

No.  Dude said he also interfered in left field.  Not sure how the hell that would be possible.

51 minutes ago, WBT said:

Good win last night.  Josh Hader would sure look good as our lefty in the pen right about now.  F'ing Fiers and Gomez man.

Mike Fiers was absolutely essential to this team when LMJ and Keuchel were hurt last year.  He pitched more innings than anyone on the team during a 101 win campaign that culminated in a WS win.  You’d think that most Astros fans would appreciate that more.   

Gomez can go screw a porcupine.  

• Like 2