2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Counting on arlington.

Waking up tied for first.

West feels very 2017 at this point (albeit slightly closer on our heels).
By that I mean Angels were on a tear in April.
Now M’s in May
Next month maybe the A’s
Then repeat the 2nd half.
None will be good enough to overtake Houston over the long haul, but maybe one will stay hot long enough to grab the 2nd wild card

54 minutes ago, Tailleur17 said:

Yes, keep bragging about a meaningless May victory fuckboi. Houston will own your ass again in October when it matters. 

Tonight’s win clinched the season-series victory for the Yankees over the Astros. That could become a factor in some postseason tiebreaker scenarios come October, if it comes to that. So not meaningless.

I’m not even mad about last night’s game as I have become numb to the fact that we will find a way to lose close games this year whether it’s due to a lack of clutch hits or a shitty bullpen performance or both.  We’re terrible in close games which does not bode well for a deep postseason run unless something changes.

10 hours ago, huge said:

I know stats are for losers but we have the 3rd least blown saves in the AL

6th best save %

Losing sucks

It's good for perspective. Frustrating right now because we've blown 2 9th-inning leads in 3 games against good teams on the road - games that are usually wins (up 2+ runs in the 9th).

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Tonight’s win clinched the season-series victory for the Yankees over the Astros. That could become a factor in some postseason tiebreaker scenarios come October, if it comes to that. So not meaningless.

honestly asking, when would this become a factor?  if we both win our divisions and have the same record i assume?  any other instance?  if the red sox win the division and the astros and yankees have the same record, we still have a higher seed as a division winner, so it shouldn't matter.

someone feel free to correct me.  i'm not talking shit, just curious.

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

honestly asking, when would this become a factor?  if we both win our divisions and have the same record i assume?  any other instance?  if the red sox win the division and the astros and yankees have the same record, we still have a higher seed as a division winner, so it shouldn't matter.

someone feel free to correct me.  i'm not talking shit, just curious.

I think you nailed it. I can see this being a factor only if we both win our divisions and have the same record. Also curious to know if there is another scenario where this would matter. 

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I think you nailed it. I can see this being a factor only if we both win our divisions and have the same record. Also curious to know if there is another scenario where this would matter. 

This appears to be the correct answer.

League Championship Series (ALCS and NLCS)

The winners of the Division Series then advance to the best-of-seven American League and National League Championship Series. The team with the best record in each league will have home-field advantage.

In the event that a wild-card team has the better record than the other qualifying team that is a division champion, the division champion still gets the advantage and hosts Games 1, 2, 6, and 7.

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-mlb-playoffs-work-321331