Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

15 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The insane thing is that for how big that wave is the water he was falling into was probably only a few feet deep and likely on a massive rock bed or reef.  I would bet that one tore him up a bit.

It's a nasty shallow coral reef.  When we were in Tahiti late'82-early '83 my brother and I hooked up with a few locals who took us to a few surf spots on the south part of the island.  We drove past Teahupo'o and it was firing. They pointed it out but said that no one to their knowledge had ever surfed it.  I was 15 and a flounderer so we were hunting beach breaks in the reef openings.  It wasn't until a few years later that people started riding it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

It's a nasty shallow coral reef.  When we were in Tahiti late'82-early '83 my brother and I hooked up with a few locals who took us to a few surf spots on the south part of the island.  We drove past Teahupo'o and it was firing. They pointed it out but said that no one to their knowledge had ever surfed it.  I was 15 and a flounderer so we were hunting beach breaks in the reef openings.  It wasn't until a few years later that people started riding it.

csb is actually a dam cool story bro.  and a legit humble brag.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

It was featured in that early 2000s surfing documentary, Riding Giants.  

If you’re going to surf it, you better be one of the best on earth because it’s supposed to be hella dangerous.

• Like 1

Steve McQueen performed all of his own motorcycle stunts in The Great Escape with the exception of his characters final jump over a 6ft barbed wire fence. The final jump was performed by his stunt double, Bud Etkins [1].

The bike used by McQueen in the film was a modified TT Special 650 Triumph which was painted olive drab and made to look like a german wartime BMW. As McQueen explained in a 1963 interview,

"We had four bikes for this film. I was running a TT Special 650 Triumph. We painted it olive drab and put on a luggage rack and an old seat to make it look like a wartime BMW. We couldn't use a real BMW, not at the speeds we were running, since those old babies were rigid-frame jobs, and couldn't take the punishment." [2]

Not only did McQueen perform his own stunts during filming, but he also performed stunts for the films stuntmen themselves.

Before moving to California to pursue a career as an actor, McQueen got his start in the 1950's as a professional motorcycle racer in Long Island, NY. Due to his skill on a bike, during filming he kept outrunning the less skilled stuntmen who were supposed to be chasing him. As a result, McQueen did his own riding as Virgil and then dressed as a German soldier and shot separate chase scenes. Thusly, all of the motorcycle  scenes in The Great Escape effectively show McQueen chasing himself.

As if that wasn't enough, the entire motorcycle sequence was never actually in the film's original script. It was only included at McQueen's suggestion to the film's director, John Sturges. McQueen reportedly was unhappy with his characters scripted escape by train and propositioned Sturges with, "an idea that will put more juice into this...."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

OK, I didn't see this before.  WTF happened here?

supposedly the room isn't vented worth shit, which you can see by all the smoke and gun powder dust in the air.  they shot a fuckton of rounds.  not all the gunpowder ignited during the initial shots and accumulated on the ground and as dust in the air.  something ignited the gunpowder on the ground and eventually in the air.  

17 hours ago, crash_davis said:

supposedly the room isn't vented worth shit, which you can see by all the smoke and gun powder dust in the air.  they shot a fuckton of rounds.  not all the gunpowder ignited during the initial shots and accumulated on the ground and as dust in the air.  something ignited the gunpowder on the ground and eventually in the air.  

Also, Dragon's Breath rounds.

18 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Steve McQueen performed all of his own motorcycle stunts in The Great Escape with the exception of his characters final jump over a 6ft barbed wire fence. The final jump was performed by his stunt double, Bud Etkins [1].

The bike used by McQueen in the film was a modified TT Special 650 Triumph which was painted olive drab and made to look like a german wartime BMW. As McQueen explained in a 1963 interview,

"We had four bikes for this film. I was running a TT Special 650 Triumph. We painted it olive drab and put on a luggage rack and an old seat to make it look like a wartime BMW. We couldn't use a real BMW, not at the speeds we were running, since those old babies were rigid-frame jobs, and couldn't take the punishment." [2]

Not only did McQueen perform his own stunts during filming, but he also performed stunts for the films stuntmen themselves.

Before moving to California to pursue a career as an actor, McQueen got his start in the 1950's as a professional motorcycle racer in Long Island, NY. Due to his skill on a bike, during filming he kept outrunning the less skilled stuntmen who were supposed to be chasing him. As a result, McQueen did his own riding as Virgil and then dressed as a German soldier and shot separate chase scenes. Thusly, all of the motorcycle  scenes in The Great Escape effectively show McQueen chasing himself.

As if that wasn't enough, the entire motorcycle sequence was never actually in the film's original script. It was only included at McQueen's suggestion to the film's director, John Sturges. McQueen reportedly was unhappy with his characters scripted escape by train and propositioned Sturges with, "an idea that will put more juice into this...."

Steve McQueen...certified badass...