Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Even if Flake votes no in committee, it doesn’t stop Kavanaugh from going to the floor for a full vote.

Right.  But every defection matters at this point.  I think there are a handful who want to vote "no" for their own sakes, but won't cross the line alone.  Maybe?

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Johnny sacks thinks your niece should just quit and get a new job. Problem solved. No more harassment there.

Lindsey graham thinks she should just call the cops. Again problem solved. Easy peasy. 

No, Johnny Sack doesn't think his niece should have a job at all.  If she was just staying at home with her mother learning home economics this wouldn't have happened.  Her father would have married her off to one of his business partner's sons. Maybe even one that is age appropriate. They'd learn to love one another.  His niece really just needs to learn that education and work is for menfolk.

Really though, that situation sucks. Not much the police, her manager, or anyone else except make matters worse for her.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Are they winning? Then you know the answer. They’d shoot a man in the middle of fifth avenue, so long as they’re winning. It’s the only think that matters. The opposition better start playing that game, or it’s all over.

No need.

If your answer doesn’t include “bloody violence,” you’re not reading the tea leaves well. There’s no ending to this that isn’t red.

That’s reality. Shining city on the hill my ass. We’re hellbent on fully converting to an oligarchic shithole. And, American go-getters that we are, we’re progressing at breakneck speed.

I hope to God it doesn’t happen. But I can also do math. There’s anywhere from a 25-35% chance it happens, statistically. And there’s pretty close to a 90% chance she won’t speak up about it. It’s probably higher, in her case. Her head of household is rather clearly not hospitable to such matters.

What are you prepared to do?  What is the hypothetical event that would cause you to say 'no more'?

6 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Wow, I think it’s time to log off champ. 

Why don't you?  You offer nothing of value and also don't seem to get anything of value from here.  So why are you here in the first place?

You are a terrible fucking person, whether you're a troll or this is your true persona.  I know you don't lose sleep over it.  So again, why are you here?  Do you jerk off to trolling or something?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Here's an exercise any of us can do.

Suppose a coworker falsely accuses you of raping her after the company holiday party.  You didn't touch her; in fact, you were never even alone with her at any point.  All of your colleagues now know about the accusation.  Your career and your reputation are on the line.

What do you do?

Me: I demand a police investigation.  And I demand that I be given a polygraph exam and request that she submit to one, too.

You?

Right.  That's what I thought, you fucking hypocrites.

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Right.  But every defection matters at this point.  I think there are a handful who want to vote "no" for their own sakes, but won't cross the line alone.  Maybe?

I think Flake wants to cross the line alone or at least lead the way. He needs a John McCain moment in the worst way.  I really don’t think he’d get a better opportunity than this.

I mean, Flake has been nothing but a disappointment so far so I dunno, maybe but I doubt it.

Regardless, the democrats gain from this.  Also, Kavanaugh isn’t as far right as he’s made out to be.  He’s voted with Merrick Garland plenty. There are much worse radical judges out there but probably with less history in rape culture.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

21 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Here's an exercise any of us can do.

Suppose a coworker falsely accuses you of raping her after the company holiday party.  You didn't touch her; in fact, you were never even alone with her at any point.  All of your colleagues now know about the accusation.  Your career and your reputation are on the line.

What do you do?

Me: I demand a police investigation.  And I demand that I be given a polygraph exam and request that she submit to one, too.

You?

I was captain of my basketball team and worked my butt off to be number one or two or something in my class! I was either working out or mowing lawns or, sniff, reading my Dad's diaries for tips on how to, sniff, start my own. I asked for a hearing the day after these allegations were made. Weep. My life is hell. A number of women that I didn't rape signed a petition. 

I like beer. I drink it. What do you drink?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Why don't you?  You offer nothing of value and also don't seem to get anything of value from here.  So why are you here in the first place?

You are a terrible fucking person, whether you're a troll or this is your true persona.  I know you don't lose sleep over it.  So again, why are you here?  Do you jerk off to trolling or something?

He offers reasonable sounding trolling. Why he hasn’t been negged to oblivion is a mystery. He contributes absolutely nothing to the board. No substance. Just your standard every day trolling fare. 

4 hours ago, Dolemite said:

She looks acts and acts like she suffered abuse but it wasn't by Kavanaugh. It would have turned up in first FBI background check. If not the first one, surely for the one before he worked in the white house. 

I'm sure others have enlightened you about this, but for fuck's sake, do a little homework before making such grand pronouncements.  I mean, try to be a little more informed.  You're just flat fucking wrong.  Neg rep.

What are you prepared to do?  What is the hypothetical event that would cause you to say 'no more'?

When the upcoming elections are not free and fair. They will be meddled with. The GOP will cover for it and allow it. After that, the rest is inevitable.

When the trust of a people in their institutions is irreparably broken, the outcome is what it always has been.
Yeah not a real mental healthy place to be....

Reality is indeed an unhealthy place in which to reside these days. But it seems to be the only one we’ve got. I’ve tried to alter it with whiskey, but they haven’t made one strong enough to actually alter reality, just my perception of it. But I’m not giving up....

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

*watches Kavanaugh get confirmed*

"Great news... FOR DEMOCRATS!"

lol

It's not a zero sum game. Democrats will be in power again. Democrats will name justices to the Supreme Court.

Conservatism always loses in the long run in this country. The change progressives want happens. 

They are good at gumming up the works, but they cannot stop change. They never can.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Reality is indeed an unhealthy place in which to reside these days. But it seems to be the only one we’ve got. I’ve tried to alter it with whiskey, but they haven’t made one strong enough to actually alter reality, just my perception of it. But I’m not giving up....

The struggle is real, and the quest for strong bourbon is always a noble calling.... so ya got that going for ya !

I've said before, maybe in this thread, but it's unreal how fast teenagers in DC suburbs get exposed to shit. I'm friends with a girl from Chevy Chase MD and the stories about her 2 youngest brothers partying balls because their parents "already took care of the girls" is way harder than most people partied at UT. 

One brother came to Chicago and partied with us in Chicago at 14 with a fake and I thought nothing of it except an awesome fucking story. He intentionally wrapped his car around a pole at 18 trying to kill himself and I can only think it was coke fucking his head up from early exposure. There's a reason nobody stays there

Just now, TexArcher said:

Right.  That's what I thought, you fucking hypocrites.

I hire a prosecutor to grill her until she is in tears.  After she's done, I come out in a rage yelling I didn't do it.  I don't give a definitive answer to hardly any question and instead answer every question with an unrelated story in an angry put-upon tone.  I then dismiss the prosecutor and have the COO who has had his own questionable actions come in and scream that the whole thing is a sham.  Then I expect to get promoted.

24 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Johnny sacks thinks your niece should just quit and get a new job. Problem solved. No more harassment there.

Lindsey graham thinks she should just call the cops. Again problem solved. Easy peasy. 

What she shouldn’t do is wait 36 years to make the allegation and then name 3 witnesses who won’t corroborate her story.  Because if she does that, she won’t be believed.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Who did Sotomeyer and Kagan rape?

ME!!!! It was awfull!!! Only one problem.

Don't know what day of the week?

Don't know what day of the year?

Don't know what year this happened.

Don't know who was there? Four people I think were there but they don't remember or deny?

At this point I'm not sure what country or even what planet this happened or how I got there or got back? 

I hope this doesn't make people doubt my story. Do I have case?

my fiancee was abused by a family member who then killed himself when his wife asked him about it.  not a lot of people in her family believed her.  some of them are trumpers.  she's been fuming all day and where I usually am the one telling her not to go nuclear emasculating her loser uncle on social media (cause family).  I've been unsure about today.  I need to remind her tomorrow that I'm on her team.

51 minutes ago, Crusher said:

President Barack Obama made two successful appointments to the Supreme Court of the United States. The first was Judge Sonia Sotomayor[1] to fill the vacancy created by the retirement of Justice David H. Souter.[2] Sotomayor was confirmed by the United States Senate on August 6, 2009, by a vote of 68–31. The second appointment was that of Solicitor General Elena Kagan to replace the retired John Paul Stevens. Kagan was confirmed by the United States Senate on August 5, 2010, by a vote of 63–37.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_Supreme_Court_candidates

Sotomayor was confirmed in 2009. The Senate at that time was 57 Dems - 2 Independents -and 41 Republicans. 1 vacant.  She got 68 votes. That means at least 9 Repugs voted for her.

Kagan was confirmed in 2010 and the Senate was 51-2-47 for the dems. That means she got 10 Repugs votes.

How many Dems do you think will vote for Kavanaugh next week?

It should be noted that Preident Obama consulted with Republicans on his selection to replace Scalia before announcing his choice. He also chose in Justice Kaegan someone some Republicans had supported to be solicitor general. There has been no such attempt to even feign collegiality in the nomination process by Fat Nixon or the White House counsel.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/271286-no-signs-of-breakthrough-in-scotus-stalemate

21 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Wow, I think it’s time to log off champ. 

Yeah that’s some pretty wild posting. 

Being on Twitter today has been fascinating. Entertaining, but really sad honestly. People are absolutely losing their shit over politics. 

It’s crazy. Same testimony, and each side sees it totally different. 

It really is like people are watching two different movies on the same screen 

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

It should be noted that Preident Obama consulted with Republicans on his selection to replace Scalia before announcing his choice. He also chose in Justice Kaegan someone some Republicans had supported to be solicitor general. There has been no such attempt to even feign collegiality in the nomination process by Fat Nixon or the White House counsel.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/271286-no-signs-of-breakthrough-in-scotus-stalemate

Other than nominating two appellate court judges who had no problem being confirmed.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

AMDG, brothers.

The D in that washed His hands of us a while ago. We’re on our own. And we’re doing about as poorly as you’d expect.

Brisket has been going on like the second coming is just days away for about a year now.

Days? No. Probably take 2-4 years for things to get bad enough to where everyone realizes it’s over, but of course by then it will be too late.

It’s kind of like ingesting a lethal dose of Polonium. Once you’ve ingested it, you’re going to die. But you will feel okay for a couple of days. Then you’ll feel sick for a couple of weeks. Then the end stage hits hard, and you die.

We’ve already guzzled the Polonium tea. It’s just a waiting game, now. And yes, it will be more than days. But not more than a few years.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The problem is more people believe her than believe him.

Including the 51 Senators who are about to vote to confirm him.  Even Lindsey Graham, whose scripted tirade seemed very sincere, most likely believes that Kavanaugh attempted to rape Ford.  He certainly knows that Kavanaugh sat there and lied openly about many other things. Graham doesn't care though.  It was never about the truth.

Edited by FondrenRoad

Just now, GRHorn said:

Yeah that’s some pretty wild posting. 

Being on Twitter today has been fascinating. Entertaining, but really sad honestly. People are absolutely losing their shit over politics. 

It’s crazy. Same testimony, and each side sees it totally different. 

It really is like people are watching two different movies on the same screen 

But some of us know who's gradually losing power in this country. They look like Brett Kavanaugh and it scares them. He even said so in his opening statement. He's terrified.