Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

This is just a stunt by the Rs to "clear" him, they will stay see he is the most vetted justice ever in history of country. When the d complain it's bs due to the scope they will yell see the ds don't like the FBI 

one week isn't a lot for fbi

i think they also could be doing this as a out for not confirming him and go seee he isn't qualified 

Edited by Gengs1

11 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

It's a little jacked up that if BK is confirmed, two Supreme Court members out of nine (Gorsuch, Kavanaugh) will be graduates of the same small, private high school.  Tuition at Georgetown Prep is $37,000 per year; $60,000 if you are a resident -- with an enrollment of about 500.  In a country that is supposed to be a meritocracy, this hints at elitism.

Care to hazard a guess as to how many Supreme Court justices may have attended St. Paul's School, or Phillips Exeter Academy, or Phillips Andover Academy, or Choate Rosemary Hall?

I don't know either, but I bet it's more than two apiece.

1 minute ago, Gengs1 said:

This is just a stunt by the Rs to "clear" him, they will stay see he is the most vetted justice ever in history of country. When the d complain it's bs due to the scope they will yell see the ds don't like the FBI 

i think they also could be doing this as a out for not confirming him and go seee he isn't qualified 

It is absolutely your first paragraph. The situation will not have changed in a week.  There will be people screaming at Flake when he goes to the Senate floor to vote.  Wouldn’t matter one bit even if the FBI produced a report that said Kavanaugh was actually Bill Clintons son.

27 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Ashley K. went to UT so there is no way that is true for her. I've never seen the winged horses from the south mall fountain fly around the tower as was rumored to occur if a female virgin ever graduated. Just too many fine-assed charming dudes on campus for that to happen back in the day. Got damn, where is the fucking hot tub time machine to send me back?! 

She didn't tell him how she fucked Matthew McConaughey and he didn't tell her about the Yale strange he pulled.

The difference is now is that his is coming to light and it's tawdry.

27 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I'm an ex pro, and while it is difficult without effort to get to that level on standard light american pilsners, it is quite possible if you add in drinking games, ice beers, heavier "real" beers, and malt liquor.  The best hammered level is Mexican pilsner all morning on the beach, all afternoon at the pool, and then the late night hours at a trashy bar like Bernie's in Port A.

My man. 

Best day drunk I have had in many years is annihilating the bar supply of Tecates poolside at a Cancun resort. 

10 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

What’s funny is people think the FBI just started from scratch today.  I’m all but certain they’ve been getting tips and collecting information over the last two weeks.

Kavanaugh's appearance yesterday was a disaster. It screamed, "I'm not fit to be on the Supreme Court!" He launched into an unhinged rant, lied, cried and was disrespectful to Senators. And evasive. Eating up the 5-minute increments lauding the same accomplishments repeatedly. That alone disqualifies him from the office. Just as Trump's treasonous war on the govt to discredit a counter-intel investigation makes him unfit for the office of potus. 

• Like 4

Just now, zzzz said:

Kavanaugh's appearance yesterday was a disaster. It screamed, "I'm not fit to be on the Supreme Court!" He launched into an unhinged rant, lied, cried and was disrespectful to Senators. And evasive. Eating up the 5-minute increments lauding the same accomplishments repeatedly. That alone disqualifies him from the office. Just as Trump's treasonous war on the govt to discredit a counter-intel investigation makes him unfit for the office of potus. 

I was waivering until this showed up.

A solid thank you. Patriot zzzz

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I been around the block in HS. Blacking out wasn't ever part of that.  And we use to drop kegs and roll blunts that looked like tree limbs. 

Like Mark Judge, my high-school drinking buddy was an alcoholic. Consequently, I developed the same drinking patterns. I took pride in how fast I could slam a beer and never barfing. Because of that I can tell you it's possible to get blackout drunk on beer. 

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Care to hazard a guess as to how many Supreme Court justices may have attended St. Paul's School, or Phillips Exeter Academy, or Phillips Andover Academy, or Choate Rosemary Hall?

Phillips Exeter Academy: Peyton Cabot Harrison III

Phillips Andover Academy: William Henry Moody, Anthony Stark

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The myth of America as a classless society is pernicious.

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

True but the calendar entry says ‘skis’ not ‘skiing’ unless we’re looking at different dates. 

Dude was partying like every day that summer. Hard to tell what happened when. 

What I find most interesting is the lack of detail on beach week days. Surely a baseball team played then that would warrant a recorded score. Or maybe some "skis," a game or two of "devil's triangle'", or even "Suzanne" who finds her way onto the calendar many other days when she is helping Brett study for football. Yet its simply "beach week."  A solemn alcohol free time where a beach exists for a week and God's glory is contemplated in silence. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
5 hours ago, Aphelion said:
I answered your question, but you avoided mine.  You’ve simply disappeared when pressed in some of our previous exchanges, including one in this thread.  In your mind I’m the dancer.  

I didn't disappear and I didn't avoid your question. The answer to your question was literally the first sentence of my reply. Look for the sentence in quotation marks. It is even conveniently separated into its own paragraph. How did I avoid answering it?

The disappearing was refering to previous exchanges.  Regarding your answer, I thought you were giving that statement as what you would have said if you were Kavanaugh.  But if that was intended as your answer to the question I asked, then I take you at your word and admit that I was mistaken (this is meant to be genuine, by the way; I’m not suggesting that you didn’t mean it that way as Brisket might assume since I said the word “if”). 

Regarding your answer, this is effectively the same as answering “yes.”  If you refuse to answer such a question in that setting, then obviously it would be assumed that you are a homosexual by the jury.  This is also of course the known outcome of the dilemma and the reason you would be asked in the first place.  As for how they will perceive you, you cannot sidestep with a refusal to answer.  Your effective choices are to deny it or decline to answer/admit.  

I’m not suggesting that this is a perfect comparison to the situation Kavanaugh is in.  It’s obviously not.  I’m using an extreme case to highlight my point, which is that when examiners abuse the power they have and make a mockery of the process and the oath itself, people tend to care less if one violates the oath.  

I’m not claiming that this exonerates one from lying under oath.  What I would have liked is for Kavanaugh to come in less amped up and to answer honestly and admit that he would get hammered from time to time.  But if he is a consequentialist and believes that his best way to prevail against dishonest politically motivated wedge questions is to answer as he did, then I have a hard time really giving a shit.  

36 minutes ago, zzzz said:

Well I think it's a woooonderful story... and You tell it With such enthuuuuusiam...

Edited by Onboard 2.0

36 minutes ago, zzzz said:

Like Mark Judge, my high-school drinking buddy was an alcoholic. Consequently, I developed the same drinking patterns. I took pride in how fast I could slam a beer and never barfing. Because of that I can tell you it's possible to get blackout drunk on beer. 

And if anyone knows a thing or two about blacking out, it’s zzzz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mole said:

Phillips Exeter Academy: Peyton Cabot Harrison III

Phillips Andover Academy: William Henry Moody, Anthony Stark

I guess judges don't make enough money.  Still, the pool of "applicants" for Supreme Court justice is entirely too narrow, by both schooling and experience.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What’s funny is people think the FBI just started from scratch today.  I’m all but certain they’ve been getting tips and collecting information over the last two weeks.

"Flake and Coons squeezed into an oversize phone booth—few still exist on Cap Hill—to call the FBI to see if a probe could be done in a week. Wray wasn't available, so they called Rosenstein. Rosenstein said it could. "

There's your answer.  And I agree, I do not believe they are starting from scratch.  If by chance, Brett has been part of a developing plan dating back to 2017 to be a fixer for Trump on certain legal matters in exchange for the SCOTUS seat, which may have also included financial incentives for their indebted mark and a GOP money trail, there's a fair chance the FBI already has been treading in familiar territory.

Just now, triplehorn said:

If by chance, Brett has been part of a developing plan dating back to 2017 to be a fixer for Trump on certain legal matters in exchange for the SCOTUS seat, which may have also included financial incentives for their indebted mark and a GOP money trail, there's a fair chance the FBI already has been treading in familiar territory.

Yes. The government apparatus that just demonstrated a total and complete inability to make a first down on 3rd and 1 has been effectively executing a grand scheme to manipulate the next SCOTUS appointment, coordinating the resignation of Kennedy (Russia!) and the appointment of Kavanaugh, and the FBI is already hot on this case and will roll this into the investigation of the Ford allegation. Blunts like tree limbs. 

• Like 2