Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

People worrying about the 2021 recruiting class crack me up. That shouldn’t be a factor in any of this. If we hire the right coach, the talent will flood here and a 2021 transition class won’t matter. 

If Meyer can come on board quickly, then we should absolutely do it, and he could probably save the 2021 class, but it’s not as simple as CDC just going out and hiring him today. There’s a ton of internal roadblocks he’d have to navigate, and who knows if Meyer would even want to start right now.

otherwise, firing Herman now or later won’t matter for recruiting or transfers, because we won’t have a new coach in place until the damage has already been done. Having Ash or whoever as interim coach will be just as bad for recruiting and transfers, if not worse, than leaving Herman in place til November and then bringing on the new coach right after you fire Herman. Whether it’s Herman or having an interim coach for the next few months, we’re going to see a ton of attrition and the 2021 class tank.

Best case scenario we hire urban and only one class is effected. Reality is if we don’t get urban 2022 is going to be a cluster fuck as well. That’s two recruiting classes then and that’s horrible for a program trying to turn the page. 

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Why would Sam return regardless? 

I've never considered it.

Maybe his love for his hometown U is just that great? Maybe this isn't how he wants his Texas career to end? Maybe he's not doing as good as he thought he'd be doing and his draft stock isn't going to be where he'd like it. 

Still don't see it, but there are reasons. Just depends on where he's at in his head. Longshot.

Edited by UncleBuck

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

People worrying about the 2021 recruiting class crack me up. That shouldn’t be a factor in any of this. If we hire the right coach, the talent will flood here and a 2021 transition class won’t matter. 

If Meyer can come on board quickly, then we should absolutely do it, and he could probably save the 2021 class, but it’s not as simple as CDC just going out and hiring him today. There’s a ton of internal roadblocks he’d have to navigate, and who knows if Meyer would even want to start right now.

otherwise, firing Herman now or later won’t matter for recruiting or transfers, because we won’t have a new coach in place until the damage has already been done. Having Ash or whoever as interim coach will be just as bad for recruiting and transfers, if not worse, than leaving Herman in place til November and then bringing on the new coach right after you fire Herman. Whether it’s Herman or having an interim coach for the next few months, we’re going to see a ton of attrition and the 2021 class tank.

Also, Texas' average recruiting class ranking from 2007-2016 was 7.6 and that included the dip when Mack got fired and Charlie got hired and had to cobble together a class. Those ten recruiting classes produced 27 draft picks with only 4 coming in the first two rounds.

The biggest problem at Texas is player development. It has been for a decade. If they don't get a coach that can turn good-to-great recruiting classes into NFL Draft players it doesn't matter how well Texas recruits.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Maybe his love for his hometown U is just that great? Maybe this isn't how he wants his Texas career to end? Maybe he's not doing as good as he thought he'd be doing and his draft stock isn't going to be where he'd like it. 

Still don't see it, but there are reasons. Just depends on where he's at in his head. Longshot.

Feel like that scene after the game would crush any of that love for this team in just about anyone. Don’t blame players for not singing, but I could see that whole situation making him say “fuck this”

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Feel like that scene after the game would crush any of that love for this team in just about anyone. Don’t blame players for not singing, but I could see that whole situation making him say “fuck this”

It looks like he's already done so.  As mentioned, that post-game interview with him was as telling as it could get.

Wish it could be posted but nowhere to be found.  

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

What I can't believe is that not a single player (other than that one walk-on) was willing to stand with the undisputed leader of this team and the only one who leaves zero questions as to whether or not he gives a fuck. Not a single one. That blows my mind. I have a hard time believing it's because Sam isn't as good of a leader in the locker room as we think he is, so I really have to believe that the rest of the team barely gives a fuck, if at all. 

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Ugh... all right in front of OU after their shittiest team in two decades beat us. I hate this

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

These were all my thoughts.

and I didn’t feel like replying to those that haven’t been paying attention. 😊

Just now, trythisathome said:

What I can't believe is that not a single player (other than that one walk-on) was willing to stand with the undisputed leader of this team and the only one who leaves zero questions as to whether or not he gives a fuck. Not a single one. That blows my mind. I have a hard time believing it's because Sam isn't as good of a leader in the locker room as we think he is, so I really have to believe that the rest of the team barely gives a fuck, if at all. 

See people say this shit based on the photo but the Twitter video of the OU fans talking shit to Sam after the game showed him walking off with other players. What Herman is guilty of is not saying to the players they need to go over and acknowledge what little fans were there. 

17 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

What a fucking chode. Shouldn't you establish an identity from day one?

Absolutely this. He’s conned his way to two HC jobs. He’s just interviewing for his next inevitable failure. He is in year four with back to back to back top ten recruits. His hand picked staff. His players. And he sucks. He is a gimmick a fraud a charlatan but he knows how to finesse dumb rich people. They are still unwilling to admit they picked a fraud and got pantsed by UConn Tom. His record at U of H should have been a warning sign. He’s doing the same thing here he did there. It’s obvious to anyone that has half a brain. 

What I want to happen:
Fire Herman this week
Hire Urban within 2 weeks

What I think will happen:
Herman stays on through the end of season
We go 5-5 with 3 ugly wins against teams we should easily dominate
Herman fired end of season
Coaching search results in a lackluster hire that we try to get excited about
Lackluster new coach hires his mediocre buddies to fill out the staff
2023 rinse and repeat

The last 10 years have conditioned me to expect the worst, until the powers that be prove otherwise. I hope I’m one day wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Best case scenario we hire urban and only one class is effected. Reality is if we don’t get urban 2022 is going to be a cluster fuck as well. That’s two recruiting classes then and that’s horrible for a program trying to turn the page. 

Right, but acting as if firing Herman mid-season or after season will matter re recruiting/attrition is nonsense.

If we don’t get Urban, 2021 recruiting is fucked and there will be lots of attrition regardless of when we fire Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mossyhorn said:

It’s year 4, Tom. It should be cleaned by now. 
Fine-tuning should be taking place. 

Urban Meyer took an Ohio State team that went 6-7 in 2011 and went 13-0 in 2012. Good coaches instill a good culture and get results right away. If you're still working to create a disciplined culture on and off the field in year 4 of your tenure, you should be held accountable as the head coach. I understand comparing one of the GOAT College Coaches to Tom fucking Herman is comparing apples and orange, but there's NO excuse for these results with the best roster we've had since 2009.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

What I want to happen:
Fire Herman this week
Hire Urban within 2 weeks

What I think will happen:
Herman stays on through the end of season
We go 5-5 with 3 ugly wins against teams we should easily dominate
Herman fired end of season
Coaching search results in a lackluster hire that we try to get excited about
Lackluster new coach hires his mediocre buddies to fill out the staff
2023 rinse and repeat

The last 10 years have conditioned me to expect the worst, until the powers that be prove otherwise. I hope I’m one day wrong.

This is my best-case, fairly realistic scenario: 

Baylor Gets postponed. We lose to or beat OSU, doesn't really matter. 

Herman loses to WVU and gets fired ahead of the bye week. 

Giles becomes interim. He seems to have had the fewest issues with players, plus he's an alum and he's been here for awhile. This allows the other coaches to stay with their responsibility and maintains at least one coach with each position group. Giles just needs to keep the players from transferring. 

Get Urban (or whoever) lined up. Announce him the second week of December once our season is done. 

Let the staff keep coaching through bowl season if we make a bowl. 

After the bowl game, Urban takes over. I imagine he may keep Drayton and Ash. Valai and Giles are the only others I could see surviving. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas