Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Listening to cdc I am more than confident this guy will be the one that will fly out to Clemson at seasons end and convince a guy like dabo to come here. Not having a competent AD in place years ago is why we hired Charlie and Herman and not someone that can handle the pressure of being the head coach at Texas. 

CDC sounded monotone and defeated during the game tonight compared to how upbeat he was on lhn pregame show, of this continues there is no way he won’t make a change at seasons end.

Not Dabo, but maybe Venables.

51 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Herman is doubling down big time, He isn't making offensive play caller changes and has circled the wagons around Beck, He isn't making changes at QB with Ehlinger when they are painfully obvious Shane at the least deserves a series or two.

When you are dealing with a Arrogant know it all this is what happens, You can't question him because he knows all and when things get tough he doesn't admit it he keeps doing the same thing hoping something will change so he can give a middle finger to everyone. 

I'm not saying I want a knee jerk decision maker that is all over the place but Beck needs to be gone last year and Ehlinger and Shane should be splitting time at QB. Ehlinger is not heads and shoulders better than shane and shouldn't be the only one taking snaps.

What, no.

Neither is a great QB so let's not go the revolving door approach, please. BUT, if you pick one, call the offense to his strengths and make use of the attributes that set him above the other guy. Ehlinger is a homeless man's Tebow, make use of that fact.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Talent is a big problem if you’re comparing us to Bama, Ohio State, and OU level teams.  We are flat out subpar at QB, OL, DL (i.e., the three position groups that really matter), and also at TE.  Plus RB when we don’t play Ingram.  That’s a lot of fucking holes in the lineup at important spots.

However, when the comparisons are Maryland, Tulsa, and Texas Tech, our talent blows them out of the water.  We shouldn’t struggle like this with good coaching.

FSU recruits better than Samford, but should've have lost the game, were outplayed.  It's amazing what a solid staff can do and how shitastic a program becomes when the staff is garbage despite top meat at most positions. 

35 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

A new OC isn't fixing our issues.

Actually that's one of if not the main jobs of the HC, to hire good assistants, and replace them when they leave or send them off if they aren't getting the job done.  This is where Herman has failed miserably, so this is all on him.  

i think Herman has too many shortcomings to get us to the top even in the best circumstances, but hiring a good OC would certainly help improve this team.  He reminds me a lot of franklin at pedo, both seem smart yet really insecure, though franklin hired better assistants   Another problem is there are several dead weights on staff that also need gone.  Beck is actually a plus recruiter and should be moved to WR coach where he was for mangino at KU when they were good.  Fire meh-ringer  

There are a lot of problems and hiring a new OC is one of them, firing our WR coach another   DL recruiting another   Fixing any or all of these will improve our team, but Herman either isn't aware there's a problem or doesn't have the chops for it, otherwise we would have seen action by now   

It's a shame I know what a lot of our problems are but the guy making $5.25M doesn't. 

Talent is a big problem if you’re comparing us to Bama, Ohio State, and OU level teams.  We are flat out subpar at QB, OL, DL (i.e., the three position groups that really matter), and also at TE.  Plus RB when we don’t play Ingram, and LB when we play Roach in the middle and ask him to cover or run down WRs on jet sweeps.  That’s a lot of fucking holes in the lineup at important spots, and coaches misusing personnel is not the main factor in a number of them.
However, when the comparisons are Maryland, Tulsa, and Texas Tech, our talent blows them out of the water.  We shouldn’t struggle like this with good coaching.

Yeah, we’ve been able to get the top skill players outside of RB but not the top trench guys. That has been “the”recruiting issue for the past 13 years or so. Herman should have gone the Juco route or grad transfer route very early in recruiting esp for d-linemen. I know we missed on a lot but it was too late by the time he made a push.

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

CS wasn't Perrin's guy either. And Fedora isn't gonna win big this year either, but maybe some coach on his level will, so your larger point might still stand. 

OMG NOOOOOOOO. Ask our resident recruiting junkies about the garbage he was assembling in the last couple of classes that weren't. 

All coaches have the same trick bag of excuses, but it is undeniable that we had upperclassman NFL talent last year. We put seven dudes in the league this year. It's been forever since we did that. Maybe, just maybe, the cake was baked last year, but Herman left it out in the rain. Maybe some of those dudes would have stuck around for one more year under the coach they signed with and loved. 

Shit, "Coach Potato" just took down GA Tech today. No, the Yellowjackets are not a powerhouse, but they are a solid P5 school (and USF is not) and the supposed special teams moron CS won via two KO return TDs. CS had a shitty long-snapper who cost us some games. That's flukey and weird. That dude got the yips and there isn't much you can do about that. What big special teams plays has Herman brought us here? Any game changing returns? Blocked kicks? That's where you make your bones on special teams. Worked for Frank Beamer and Mack Brown. It hasn't for Tom Herman, nor, admittedly, CS at Texas, but it seems like it is working for him at USF for whatever reason. 

Man, where are all those posters now? And where were all the anti-Hermanoids then? As Sweetjones on the old board, I was pretty much all alone with cdt in our belief that Herman was a fraud. Even after all those embarrassing losses against teams like UConn, SMU and Navy. 

It's a myth that Herman turned Ward into a QB. Levine benched O'Korn in October of his final season at UH (2014) and Ward was the starter for the last eight games. And Ward was way more than "serviceable." Dude was a stud at that level, even if he regressed a little in his second year under Herman's QB whispering. 

Stats:

Passing Rushing
Year Team GP Cmp Att Pct Yards TDs Int Yards Avg TDs
2013 Houston 10 19 29 65.5 310 1 0 176 3.9 2
2014 Houston 13 177 263 67.3 2,010 12 7 573 4.9 6
2015 Houston 14 231 345 67.0 2,827 21 6 1,114 5.7 21
2016 Houston 12 319 469 68.0 3,557 22 13 518 2.6 10

You were pretty much all alone with that idiot cdt in Charlie support. He lost to Kansas, he disappeared, and you changed your name on the new board. But after a couple of poor performances, here you come, and we all hear incessantly how you used to be sweetjones. 

Meant to post here...

if you recall, the pillar of a Tom Herman program, according to him, would be mental and physical toughness. I’d love for him to talk about that, within the context of him being hard on them at halftime and them completely wilting because of it. 

His quote after the game about “having to remember that about these players” (in terms of them not responding to him being hard on them) was shocking. Tom, are you at all aware these players won’t play hard for you?

First time poster, longtime lurker.  I always feel so much better about myself when we lose after I come to these boards.  Everyone here knows so much about football and running a program, I'm surprised UT didn't start the coaching search here.  Losing sucks, I get it it, but you people are acting like irrational toddlers.  You people aren't smarter than Mensa.  Couldn't tell you how smart he is because getting into Mensa is easy as shit, but I can say you aren't that smart.  Continue to wallow in you misery.  3, 2, 1...  I know what's coming!

• Fuck You 27

It feels like Herman really gets involved in play calling when we HAVE to have a good drive- like right before halftime at Maryland and the last 2 drives of the 4th quarter last night. We actually had a fairly coherent plan and attacked the opponents weaknesses. There was a stark difference between play calling in the 3rd quarter and last couple drives in the fourth. Keeping my fingers crossed that Herman was letting Beck call the 3rd to see if he could get his shit straightened out, realized that’s not happening and decided to call the end of the game to prevent a loss (much like the Mizzou bowl game). I’m hoping he learned his lesson, will take over play calling the rest of the season and demote Beck to QB coach only until December bowl game is over before firing him and Mehringer.

I know it won’t happen but a guy can dream can’t he?

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

1 minute ago, fuckyoufuckers said:

First time poster, longtime lurker.  I always feel so much better about myself when we lose after I come to these boards.  Everyone here knows so much about football and running a program, I'm surprised UT didn't start the coaching search here.  Losing sucks, I get it it, but you people are acting like irrational toddlers.  You people aren't smarter than Mensa.  Couldn't tell you how smart he is because getting into Mensa is easy as shit, but I can say you aren't that smart.  Continue to wallow in you misery.  3, 2, 1...  I know what's coming!

Ah, the traditional "You aren't a coach, don't question the coaches!" phase of going down with the ship.   A time-honored classic. 

Ya know, this whole “another OC won’t fix this” is total and complete utter bull shit. Good coaching f’ing matters. Having a feel for personnel, game flow, what opponents are doing and situational playcalling matters. And watching this staff operate is an object lesson in why it matters.

Sterlin Gilbert shows up after a two year unmitigated disaster on offense and suddenly we play passable ball on O. 

Todd Orlando shows up after the two worst defensive years in school history and promptly lays down the best defense in conference and one that was relevant nationally. 

Herb Hand shows up after last year’s BS fest under Warehime and suddenly we can pass block and even run block decently. 

Good coaching makes a difference right the hell now no matter what your talent level is because it’s not just Jimmy’s and Joe’s OR X’s and O’s. It’s BOTH. 

Great players make any coach look good, but only 5-8 programs have great players littering the field, so it’s the coaches’ job to make all their players look good. 

Tom Herman picked his hill to die on the minute he hired his B team offensive staff. And like a true stubborn, arrogant asshole he’s gonna kill his career there rather than admit his mistake. He’ll come out $28M ahead, but he will never again be the head coach of a school that could compete for MNC’s. 

The real pisser in all this is that we don’t need a new system and install. The offense we have works fine. It just kicked KSU’s ass and is lighting things up in Columbus. Oh, btw, OSU is another example of why good coaching makes a difference right the hell now. Anyway, we just need a competent OC so that Herman can be this great CEO coach that he seems to think that he is instead of this below average OC with substandard help in the booth and in his ear that he is now. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

You were pretty much all alone with that idiot cdt in Charlie support. He lost to Kansas, he disappeared, and you changed your name on the new board. But after a couple of poor performances, here you come, and we all hear incessantly how you used to be sweetjones. 

Lots of people changed their handles for various reasons....And if by "incessantly," you mean "twice" (and once more on the politics board), you have me there. 

2 minutes ago, fuckyoufuckers said:

Tell’em bout da rabbits, George!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Lots of people changed their handles for various reasons....And if by "incessantly," you mean "twice" (and once more on the politics board), you have me there. 

I’ve counted 3-4 times and I try to avoid your dumbass. 

6 minutes ago, fuckyoufuckers said:

sarcasm alert, guys. 

Dabo finds a way to get two qbs into the game and one of them a true freshman. Rising is probably the most talented qb on campus and we'll end up watching him transfer because tom stubbornly sticks with the turnover machine.  Sam has made it quite clear he doesn't have "it" in fact he's got negative "it" especially during crunch time.  

I wonder if shane is hurt, or is herman that fucking stupid and stubborn

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'm pretty sure mensa called plays last night. He had a play sheet in his hand and the camera caught him a couple of times reading it and then speaking into the headset. I'm almost certain we're past the issues of Timothy Beck and are staring squarely at the real problem here. 

That the QB isnt D1 level yet the HC, who's supposed to be a guru of offense,  is refusing to try the others? That the HC,  knowing the limitations of his QB room,  failed to bring in a JUCO/grad transfer for competition?

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

One, CDC has not made a major football hire that I’m aware of. (Although he appears to be a wizard with understanding gameday atmosphere and raising money) Two, for those of you that keep mentioning Dabo, just stop. He ain’t coming here.

Dabo would come here no question if the money is right in my opinion. He’d choose his alma mater, Alabama, before us, but would jump at the chance to coach at Texas 

At this point there's not much to say or do.  Over the next four weekends everybody in the US will see how good of a coach Mensa is.  I'd hope to be wrong and his abilities will kick in and we'll win the Big XII but I'd say it's more likely we get blown out by USC, TCU, and OU.

I wonder what he'll be like by the time WVU and OSU are done scoring on his team.

Edited by Bullneck

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

First it wouldn't matter who we put in, save perhaps Vince Young, we aren't winning with this staff calling plays. I'm not saying youre wrong, I'm saying it doesn't matter.

As to your last question/statement, do you really need to ask?

Shane isn't hurt.

Completely agree.  As much as we suck, we actually have enough talent to be an 8-9 win team.  The problem is this staff is getting constantly out coached.  They got out coached by an interim head coach at Maryland and they got out coached by fucking Tulsa.  Tulsa would have fucking won that game had they made their FGs or not had a case of the drops.  I have no confidence in Herman/Beck/Mehringer/Warhime/Drayton to out coach OSU, TCU, OU, WV, ISU.  All those teams have good coaches that can gameplan.  Hell fucking Kingsbury out coached us last year with his job on the line.  I think USC will be a toss up and if we win, Herman is going to sell false hope right before we get our butts fucked by TCU, OU, OSU, WV.  I think ISU beats us this year.  Matt Campbell is a 10x the coach Herman is.  I think we can squeak out wins against USC, KSU and should beat Kansas, Baylor, Tech.  Looking at 6 wins again...

Edited by victory88

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

He’ll come out $28M ahead, but he will never again be the head coach of a school that could compete for MNC’s. 

Actually, the real pisser is that he is young enough to go to some mid-major, light it up again, and get hired somewhere else where, as unbelievable as it has looked since the second he hired Tim Beck, he could be competing for them as a late 50 to early 60 year old man.

He'll obviously never compete for one here, though. He needs his ass kicked by a good old fashioned pink slip experience.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:35 AM, Eugene11 said:

If aggy wins this weekend, we should go ahead and fire TH monday

Why do y’all think this is dumb? The joke that is Aggy football and their bimbo coach just took Clemson down to the wire. We can barely beat Tulsa. We supposedly have talent. Plenty of coaches come in and show results in first and second years. Jumbo and Aggy are one of them. Alabama. Osu. Ou, Georgia. Washington of all schools who has been a door mat of the pac.  How many others? We aren’t getting it done. This weekends results show it. This isn’t a dumb response. 

Edit: And we just lost more recruiting ground after the results in the state of Texas this weekend. 

Edited by Eugene11
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Actually, the real pisser is that he is young enough to go to some mid-major, light it up again, and get hired somewhere else where, as unbelievable as it has looked since the second he hired Tim Beck, he could be competing for them as a late 50 to early 60 year old man.

He'll obviously never compete for one here, though. He needs his ass kicked by a good old fashioned pink slip experience.

It would have to be a blue blood with no institutional memory. 

No idea what the offensive staff was doing during the fall camp, but it seems like every other division 1 offensive staff spent that time actually installing some concepts that their players could execute.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a football expert, but our offense seems to lack any sort of timing. On running and especially screen plays, even when the blocking seems like it's there it still arrives way before the play. Sam's screen passes take forever, and he seldom throws to receivers that aren't wide open. While there were a few times where it seemed clear that we called the wrong play or protection (e.g. extra blitzers have a free run to the QB), most of the time our offense just looked like it was just plain bad at execution. I don't know what we're good at, other than Sam occasionally leaving the pocket finding someone downfield, or one of the playmakers making someone miss.

We suck at the same things we've sucked at for years. Herman's not the guy. We need a coach that can mask our deficiencies and accentuate our strengths. Seems like Herman is masking our strengths and accentuating our deficiencies. I can't help but to get the sense that we're about to plunge into a free fall.

1 hour ago, Eugene11 said:

Why do y’all think this is dumb? The joke that is Aggy football and their bimbo coach just took Clemson down to the wire. We can barely beat Tulsa. We supposedly have talent. Plenty of coaches come in and show results in first and second years. Jumbo and Aggy are one of them. Alabama. Osu. Ou, Georgia. Washington of all schools who has been a door mat of the pac.  How many others? We aren’t getting it done. This weekends results show it. This isn’t a dumb response. 

Edit: And we just lost more recruiting ground after the results in the state of Texas this weekend. 

Thanks for the bump.  I missed this idiocy the first time around.

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

That the QB isnt D1 level yet the HC, who's supposed to be a guru of offense,  is refusing to try the others? That the HC,  knowing the limitations of his QB room,  failed to bring in a JUCO/grad transfer for competition?

You're on the right track but not looking at the much bigger picture. 

The fact of the matter is that we, yet again, have a HC who's stubborn at making changes, particularly as it relates to the offensive side of the ball. Call it QB competition, personnel WTFs, coaching, play calling, etc. Whatever you want to call it, Tom made it painfully clear before a snap was taken this season that this is his show. Remember? "Fans. [stares into camera] FANS! I'm the one to blame."

Well guess what time it is. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic