Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Ehlinger -- he might not win the Heisman or be a pro QB but he will leave the 40 as one of the most beloved players ever. 

He's got the perfect backstory, bred to be a Texas QB. Dude is so badass.

Ehlinger dancing to Mo Bamba on the field before personally scoring the first TD of the day. Confidence for days, I remember when VY used to dance on the field. It electrified the team. This dude bleeds burnt orange so fucking hard, it rules. He's gonna make wearing UT stuff cool again.

Edited by BigXII
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, hornian said:

About 275 a game. 

These numbers are all good and everything but the important thing is that the team feels like they can win any game. They get a lot of that because it’s coming from him. He has a winners mindset and it impacts the team. That said, he’s showing it on the field as well with his play. He’s not a gunslinger, but he’s really beginning to impress in that area as well. He has a will to win,, ability, shows good judgement (the majority of the time) and never backs down. In other words, what we’ve lacked. Add that to the fact he has two more years (most likely) and it’s hard not to believe in a bright future for the team. Plus, “take the loss pussy” will live forever in Longhorn lore. 😎

55 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

he's becoming like colt where i just expect him to make a play when it's absolutely needed.  

he's not quite to colt's level of certainty, but he's closer than you'd think he'd be at this point. 

Yeah, but Colt wasn’t the Colt that we fondly remember as being absolute nails when he was in his second year on campus, as Sam is. 

There is a lot to be said for development in a system, which we haven’t had since Colt. 

I’m expecting the next two years of Sam to be glorious.

Just need to get the goddamn defense fixed.

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He's a born leader. It just comes naturally to him. Some dudes are assholes about trying too hard to be leaders but it he just is. If we can surround him with the talent he needs he is capable of taking us all the way, but that's a tall order in a world where Bama exists. 

Agreed, and obligatory FUCK BAMA.

• Like 2

So I've never really been a fan of Tom Herman to be honest, but wasn't his reputation coming into Texas that of a QB guru? I wonder how much of Sam's development is due to Tom Herman supposedly molding him into this QB? Anybody wiser care to chime in?

1 minute ago, BigXII said:

So I've never really been a fan of Tom Herman to be honest, but wasn't his reputation coming into Texas that of a QB guru? I wonder how much of Sam's development is due to Tom Herman supposedly molding him into this QB? Anybody wiser care to chime in?

I think of him more as an offensive scheme guy that knows what he wants in a QB to fit his scheme. 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Hopefully for Sam's continued progression in 2019 we get some WRs to step up and ball when we lose CJ and LJH. Those guys have been keys to Sam's improvement this year, which is not to say that Sam is doing a lot of the work himself.

Brah the young guys look like they are going to be awesome. Improved line play under Hand, improved running game with a 100% healthy ingram with a year of real S&C. 

Hopefully we get some depth on D so we can really increase the tempo too next year. 

3 hours ago, #1Texasfan said:

Sam is the third best qb in 21st century for us, thoughts?

He’s not done yet. Freshman year marred by injury and Beck, sophomore year better than Colt’s without Jamaal Charles. I don’t know that it will change the next 2 years, but it’s nice to have a real QB vs. Gilbert, Case, Heard, Swoopes, Buechele and the eternal question mark Ash.

1 hour ago, bigcigar said:

He’s not done yet. Freshman year marred by injury and Beck, sophomore year better than Colt’s without Jamaal Charles. I don’t know that it will change the next 2 years, but it’s nice to have a real QB vs. Gilbert, Case, Heard, Swoopes, Buechele and the eternal question mark Ash.

yeah how does Sam rank to the others in their sophomore years? probably number one.

58 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yeah, I think I had a post calling him a fullback playing QB; I'm an idiot. 

It's all good from shagsters, but I heard it a few times from the guys on TV it kind of pissed me off. They kind of mean it as a positive I guess but its actually a shitty thing to say about the kid. He runs tough but hes got more elusiveness and quickness than a FB. Damn, a full backs main job is blocking, and they've been kinda erased from modern offenses. 

SO	QB	13	276	424	65.1	3303	7.8	6.9	22	18	139.2

SO	QB	10	205	319	64.3	2483	7.8	8.8	20	2	149.1

One is a RS SO the other a true SO. One is a fucking legend. The other is writing his story. I thought Ehlinger was nothing but a meathead after last year and the MD game this year. He's made a believer of me at this point, though.

It's all good from shagsters, but I heard it a few times from the guys on TV it kind of pissed me off. They kind of mean it as a positive I guess but its actually a shitty thing to say about the kid. He runs tough but hes got more elusiveness and quickness than a FB. Damn, a full backs main job is blocking, and they've been kinda erased from modern offenses. 

Ain’t you heard? If you don’t play with a fullback, you’ll get your ass kicked.

Lldogg, the last two sentences of your post are where I am.

At the game last night, the tech fans surrounding me were yelling for Kliff to run the clock down before they tied us up. They didn't want to leave Ehlinger too much time. 

I haven't heard that concern from opposing fans for 9 years. 

It was great to see him drive us downfield. 

He has improved light years from last year. 

I think Duvernay is growing leaps and bounds and could be the go to target next year if LJH and CJ leave.  He's starting to become a good route runner in addition to the deep threat.

And I think both Jake Smith and Whittington could be immediate impact players like Waddle and Moore.

Not worried about the offense. And it feels so good to write that sentence .

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Duvernay is a good one, but nothing beats the luxury of two 6'5" guys with above average speed and body control. Eagles and Epps have a chance to step up into that jump ball role next year.

Great receivers fall off trees in Texas. Sam will make a lot of guys look good next year.