Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

20 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Sam had as many rushing attempts vs OU as he AND Ingram combined for yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand not running Sam as much normal.  They didn't want him to re-injure his shoulder which is very easy to do by all accounts.

10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

For me, it is the most frustrating thing about this offense. I just don't get it. 

Ingram is a superstar.

I do notice that young does find a guy to block on Sam's runs. Ingram hasn't quite been consistent with that.  Watson does a lot of little things well and has value but lacks that big play skill. 

Just now, Butch Had Not said:

I do notice that young does find a guy to block on Sam's runs. Ingram hasn't quite been consistent with that.  Watson does a lot of little things well and has value but lacks that big play skill. 

Neither Young nor Watson are garbage by any stretch, but it's obvious Ingram is a stud and should be a focal point of the offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yeah, you’re an idiot. 

and you are the most insufferable poster on the planet, one who has handled being right about something for the first time ever about as well as i handle someone talking shit to me. almighty christ you are the worst version of your already pathetic, insufferable self in this thread. sam turning out to be really good has *almost* not been worth it solely because of the way you comport yourself in this thread. thank god you're almost never right about anything ever.

also, feel free rebut anything i said in my post with even a modicum of substance, if that's even possible for you. sam was not "great" last night, he was pretty typically sam- a few bad misses, some really great throws, no turnovers, easily played well enough to win us the game, not on the list of reasons we lost. you reacting to an honest, measured post that's 95% praise and 0% damning as if i was trashing the kid is pathetic and typical of you in this thread. put a fucking sock in it dude.

or dont. maybe instead you can just keep running around this thread thumping your chest every third post and creating false narratives about all of the scores of people who want to bench sam for shane. that'll really help add substance to this thread.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

22/42 for 283 yards seems more "good" than "great", and I bet Sam would be the first to tell you that as well. He took a couple ugly sacks and missed on some throws, but was also maybe the biggest reason UT had a shot at the win. The bottom line is he played more than good enough to get a victory. It's a team effort of course, but I'd put the lion's share of this L on the defense. 

5-6 drops easily bumps that number and his percentage higher if the damn receivers do their job.   How many folks did he hit in the hands and they dropped it?  LJH, 2 to Duvernay, 1 to Johnson?    The first half was littered with them.

1 minute ago, HuntinHorn said:

5-6 drops easily bumps that number and his percentage higher if the damn receivers do their job.   How many folks did he hit in the hands and they dropped it?  LJH, 2 to Duvernay, 1 to Johnson?    The first half was littered with them.

Sam also had a similar number of really poorly thrown balls that weren't caught so it pretty much evens out. and if we're calling it "5 or 6" drops then we need to acknowledge that a few of these balls that hit guys in the hands were thrown low to the ground and away from the receiver, where a better throw would have resulted in a completion.

like i've said a million times already, sam is not on the list of reasons we lost the game, but we don't need to act like he was perfect when he wasn't. i'm sure he'd be the first to tell you there's a couple throws he'd like to have back, same as LJH would like to have a couple of those drops back. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Sam deserved the criticism he received last year for his mistake prone play. 

He is also currently having one of our best qb seasons since Colt, is a perfect fit for Herman's system, and looks primed to leave UT as the qb who helped bring us back to national relevance.

He's not perfect as a true sophomore qb, but if you didn't see shades of something we haven't seen since Colt with that second half rally, I don't know what to tell you.  Yes, we lost, but the offense did their part after the half.

Somewhere around the missed safety against usc, a switch flipped for him and he has been the backbone of our team ever since.  If we had a leader for the defense to rally around like the offense does Sam, we might just be a solid team. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Sam also had a similar number of really poorly thrown balls that weren't caught so it pretty much evens out. and if we're calling it "5 or 6" drops then we need to acknowledge that a few of these balls that hit guys in the hands were thrown low to the ground and away from the receiver, where a better throw would have resulted in a completion.

like i've said a million times already, sam is not on the list of reasons we lost the game, but we don't need to act like he was perfect when he wasn't. i'm sure he'd be the first to tell you there's a couple throws he'd like to have back, same as LJH would like to have a couple of those drops back. 

The only thing that is annoying is that you and some other always come at the angle that he should complete 100% of his throws every game. It's always the "well he missed some throws today as well", well no shit, Tom Brady misses throws.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

and you are the most insufferable poster on the planet, one who has handled being right about something for the first time ever about as well as i handle someone talking shit to me. almighty christ you are the worst version of your already pathetic, insufferable self in this thread. sam turning out to be really good has *almost* not been worth it solely because of the way you comport yourself in this thread. thank god you're almost never right about anything ever.

also, feel free rebut anything i said in my post with even a modicum of substance, if that's even possible for you. sam was not "great" last night, he was pretty typically sam- a few bad misses, some really great throws, no turnovers, easily played well enough to win us the game, not on the list of reasons we lost. you reacting to an honest, measured post that's 95% praise and 0% damning as if i was trashing the kid is pathetic and typical of you in this thread. put a fucking sock in it dude.

or dont. maybe instead you can just keep running around this thread thumping your chest every third post and creating false narratives about all of the scores of people who want to bench sam for shane. that'll really help add substance to this thread.

Like I said, idiot. 

16 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

If you press the SHIFT key on your keyboard, it capitalizes the first letter of the first word in a sentence. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

The only thing that is annoying is that you and some other always come at the angle that he should complete 100% of his throws every game. It's always the "well he missed some throws today as well", well no shit, Tom Brady misses throws.

yeah, i didn't day anything remotely close to this, and i've never seen anybody insinuate that he needs to hit 100% of his passes. someone posted that he had some drops that would have raised his completion percentage, and i pointed out that he missed some guys as well which also impacted his pass accuracy numbers. and to be honest i blame the coaches for poor play design more than i blame sam for poor throws on at least a few of them. this is called objectivity, and it's nowhere near as annoying as people freaking out literally every time someone says anything that hints that Sam didn't play like he was VY in the rose bowl. NCAA stands for no criticism at all in this thread. 95% of the post praises Sam and absolves him of blame, and you lot latch onto that neutral (note that it's not even negative) 5% for dear life. It's dumb. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, i didn't day anything remotely close to this, and i've never seen anybody insinuate that he needs to hit 100% of his passes. someone posted that he had some drops that would have raised his completion percentage, and i pointed out that he missed some guys as well which also impacted his pass accuracy numbers. and to be honest i blame the coaches for poor play design more than i blame dam for poor throws on at least a few of them. this is called objectivity, and it's nowhere near as annoying as people freaking out literally every time someone says anything that hints that Sam didn't play like VY in the rose bowl. NCAA stands for no criticism at all in this thread. 95% of the post praises Sam and absolves him of blame, and you lot latch onto that neutral (note that it's not even negative) 5% for dear life. It's dumb. 

No it is just annoying when he gets criticized for not being perfect when nobody is perfect. Every QB is going to miss throws, you don't expect your receivers to drop 6 passes. 2 or 3? Sure it happens, receivers aren't perfect either but the amount of passes they dropped last night was a joke.

4 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

No it is just annoying when he gets criticized for not being perfect when nobody is perfect. Every QB is going to miss throws, you don't expect your receivers to drop 6 passes. 2 or 3? Sure it happens, receivers aren't perfect either but the amount of passes they dropped last night was a joke.

dude, nobody is criticizing him. again, it's called objectivity. i didn't run in thread going, "aw geez guys, sam missed a bunch of throws and cost us the game", i merely pointed out that the drops and bad throws were essentially a  wash, all while pointing out that Sam was really good and repeatedly saying that he "was not on the list of reasons we lost" and that "he played well enough for us to win." and yet just like i pointed out in my last post you choose to ignore all of that as if it weren't even there, latching on to the one thing i said that wasn't outright praise as if i were blaming him for the loss. take it from someone who is hypersensitive- you are reacting hypersensitively to something that doesn't even qualify as criticism.

Edited by Goo Punch

38 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

also, feel free rebut anything i said in my post with even a modicum of substance

I don’t think the stat line reflects how accurate he was last night. Drops, pressure forced throw aways, a couple batted balls, etc. He’s not Colt, but few college qbs are. He’s also starting to step into the pocket to avoid pressure and deliver strikes.

His big misses are less frequent and his deep passes have significantly more touch than earlier in the year. He overthrows beck and Ingram if it was week 1.

Your opinion is wrong and I’m not surprised someone called you a dumbass for it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

dude, nobody is criticizing him. again, it's called objectivity. i didn't run in thread going, "aw geez guys, sam missed a bunch of throws and cost us the game", i merely pointed out that the drops and bad throws were essentially a  wash, all while pointing out that Sam was really good and repeatedly saying that he "was not on the list of reasons we lost" and that "he played well enough for us to win." and yet just like i pointed out in my last post you choose to ignore all of that as if it weren't even there, latching on to the one thing i said that wasn't outright praise as if i were blaming him for the loss. take it from someone who is hypersensitive- you are reacting hypersensitively to something that doesn't even qualify as criticism.

You’re correct. You didn’t run into the thread screaming aw geez man. But what you did do was attempt to be the smartest person in the room......and you’re not. Not even fucking close.

Just cuz your mother worked in the lunchroom doesn’t trump those that actually have suited up and played the fucking game. Asshole...

• Like 3

I don't think Derka watched the game at all. Most of the balls he claims were inaccurate weren't. Some he was throwing away because of pressure and others he put in places on his WRs could make a play on the ball in tight coverage. Much like basketball he doesn't understand the nuances of the game and the QB position enough to have intelligent reactions to game situations.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

dude, nobody is criticizing him. again, it's called objectivity.

crit·i·cism - the expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes.

i don't think he was "great" but he certainly wasn't bad, and he's not on the list of reasons we lost the game. i'd describe sam more as "typical sam" than great. he made some poor throws, but he also dropped some drew brees-like dimes for some big plays.

sam was not "great" last night, he was pretty typically sam

...and your criticism gets a lot worse the further back you go.  I don't ever see you complain about or dissect the play of any of our other players, but you're constantly here bashing Sam when he's been one of the best and most consistent players on our team.  What is your beef with Sam?  Saying a bunch of negative crap, then saying "but I don't think he's the reason we lost the game" doesn't not make it criticism.  No one here called him perfect or said he's Heisman-worthy or a 1st round NFL draft pick.  You just seem angry that Sam is getting praise.  Sorry your son is QB2, Mr. Buechele.

Edited by OU Sucks

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Well no shit he had a few poorly thrown balls.   Hell every QB does.  If not, then I would have said all his incompletions were drops.  How many throw aways did he have?  It is what is is.  QBs miss throws every game but the drops I listed were hit them in the hands drops.     All I'm saying was that his percentage and his yards would have increased to a much better level had his receivers done their part....   None of that "evens out"..

Edited by HuntinHorn

23 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't think Derka watched the game at all. Most of the balls he claims were inaccurate weren't. Some he was throwing away because of pressure and others he put in places on his WRs could make a play on the ball in tight coverage. Much like basketball he doesn't understand the nuances of the game and the QB position enough to have intelligent reactions to game situations.

I think he was reading up on basketball and twittering for his football hot takes.

• immamac unfeatured this topic
4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Wish the rest of this team played as hard/as well as Sam.

Dude continues to progress and impress. I am humbled.

Except for needing a better push on a few plays from OL, the entire offense had a good game.....Tre, LJH, and Sam were outstanding!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Except for needing a better push on a few plays from OL, the entire offense had a good game.....Tre, LJH, and Sam were outstanding!!

Same here.  I thought this was one of our best games as an offense this season.  Made big plays and limited mistakes.  Duvernay, LJH, Beck, Sam and Watson had solid games. 

35 minutes ago, victory88 said:

One more thing.  Sam now holds the record for most pass attempts without an interception in the big 12.  Impressive improvement on one of his weaknesses.

TV guy said he took the record from an aggy.  Jerrod Johnson I think.  It seems like only the week before OU that we were still having the debate as to whether he was improving or a dumbass who will never be any better because Maryland.  The extent to which his play has decimated the detractors is astounding.  So proud to see the development he's made.  

1 minute ago, Lhorn said:

TV guy said he took the record from an aggy.  Jerrod Johnson I think.  It seems like only the week before OU that we were still having the debate as to whether he was improving or a dumbass who will never be any better because Maryland.  The extent to which his play has decimated the detractors is astounding.  So proud to see the development he's made.  

Unfortunately, when Johnson finally threw a pick, he tried to set a new record for most interceptions per passes attempted.

• Haha 1

He had one throw last night in the 4th q that should have been picked off because he made a poor choice (into coverage). But other than that, I can’t think of a throw in a while that was a bad decision. He’s missed some throws for sure,  but to go that long without  him making the wrong choice of where to go with the ball is the most impressive thing about his improvement. 

Been a long time since our QB was a major plus for the entire team. Sam looks like the heart of the Longhorns. The rest of the team feeds off of him. He sets the tone with his hard play. We got ourselves a star QB at Texas again. I can't wait to see what Ehlinger morphs into over the next 2 years.