Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

In theory, shane's the better passer.  You don't need a spy to deal with the threat of a qb run, plus the Texas running game is much more potent with Sam in.  If you know it's gonna be Shane, you spend your whole week working on your pass defense.

Nope. You spend the entire week stacking the box, working on your run fits, and make Shane make plays in the passing game (in 3rd and long/medium situations) by rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage. When Shane leaves the pocket or checks down in a clean pocket you make the tackle and watch Texas punt. Rinse and repeat. I guess you can occasionally send a blitz and watch Shane hold onto the ball and take a sack.

Edited by HtownHorn

Sam wouldn’t pull himself to the sideline voluntarily when the injury was fresh. I kind of doubt he’s going to let Shane start 2 weeks later, barring some kind of weirdness. A few anecdotes notwithstanding, dude had a grade 1 sprain of a non-weightbearing joint. NCAA guys play through that all the time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bluto said:

Despite his plug and play bs, surely they installed some extra pkgs/wrinkles with wildcat or something in case Sam doesn't go and the offense stagnates

Watch our last offensive drive against Baylor. My guess is we'll see more of that. Instead of using the QB as a runner, using WR screens as a substitute for the running game when the defense puts numbers in the box.

Not very optimistic that'll succeed. 

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

Sam wouldn’t pull himself to the sideline voluntarily when the injury was fresh. I kind of doubt he’s going to let Shane start 2 weeks later, barring some kind of weirdness. A few anecdotes notwithstanding, dude had a grade 1 sprain of a non-weightbearing joint. NCAA guys play through that all the time.

Oh OK, it's a non-weightbearing joint.  Should be no problem.

• Like 1

Having it on the throwing arm makes a difference.  Any other position would definitely play through it.  The throwing motion compresses then stretches the joint.  Jimmy Garopollo is the only other throwing-arm Grade I sprain that I remember and he missed 1 week and it was a Thursday night game.  Some NFL data-

QB average return time:

Overall: 17 days

With surgery: 56 days

Grade I or II: 11 days

Grade III: 31 days

All players:

Grade I: 0-1 day

Grade II - no injection: 15 days

Grade II - injection: 2 days

Grade III - injection: 16 days

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Having it on the throwing arm makes a difference.  Any other position would definitely play through it.  The throwing motion compresses then stretches the joint.  Jimmy Garopollo is the only other throwing-arm Grade I sprain that I remember and he missed 1 week and it was a Thursday night game.  Some NFL data-

QB average return time:

Overall: 17 days

With surgery: 56 days

Grade I or II: 11 days

Grade III: 31 days

All players:

Grade I: 0-1 day

Grade II - no injection: 15 days

Grade II - injection: 2 days

Grade III - injection: 16 days

Source for this data? I'm 99% sure NFL teams do not disclose this level of detail about managing injuries.

Edited by Llogg

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

What about the weight of the chip on his shoulder?  Doesn't that change things?

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Watch our last offensive drive against Baylor. My guess is we'll see more of that. Instead of using the QB as a runner, using WR screens as a substitute for the running game when the defense puts numbers in the box.

We are all shocked. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Not super-optimistic, but I do realize it's a viable game-plan. If you're scared to ask him to be a playmaker on Saturday, then put the ball in the hands of your 3 proven playmakers and let them work. CJ and Lil' J on the outside and Keontay inside. Shit, that's what Sterlin Gilbert used to free up room for D'Onta to run for 2,000, it just took us 3 and a half quarters to use it against Baylor's defense.

34 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Source for this data? I'm 99% sure NFL teams do not disclose this level of detail about managing injuries.

Actually, they are forced to by the league rules.

Data is from AJSM, Lynch 2013.

Here's a link, but you'll need access: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0363546513504284

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Just wondering.  Have you ever been very optimistic about anything?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluto said:

Despite his plug and play bs, surely they installed some extra pkgs/wrinkles with wildcat or something in case Sam doesn't go and the offense stagnates

yeah I watched the press conference, he's playing it very close to the vest.  No way he thinks there is not a big dropoff in skill set.  Shane cannot run any of the QB run plays Sam scored on vs OU.

Check that, he can run them, I just don't see the execution to the level and effectiveness of Sam.

Edited by jdhorn92

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

yeah I watched the press conference, he's playing it very close to the vest.  No way he thinks there is not a big dropoff in skill set.  Shane cannot run any of the QB run plays Sam scored on vs OU.

Coach speak. Herman has played this entire thing well because he knows Texas needs Buechele as a back up this year. 

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Oklahoma State probably has the worst secondary in the Big 12. Their DL is decent at getting pressure but our WRs will do bad things to their secondary if Texas can just get the ball to them. 

1 minute ago, the idoit said:

While I get the sarcasm and, frankly, share your concern, Magus is the only orthopedic surgeon participating in this thread as far as I’m aware.

It’s true we won’t know if he can go until he goes. With that said, the largest forces sprained ligaments typically face are in the lower limbs for athletes in cutting and pivoting sports. Basketball players are routinely returned to participation within the first two weeks for grade 1 ATFLs. The AC is not going to progress from a 1 to a 2 from throwing. Theoretically there exists a hit which is just energetic enough to inflict a serious grade 1 repeat injury after his healing is complete but which could cause a 2 if he rushes back. And he could also get hit by lightning on the way to the bus. The real issue is pain and performance. This is why high-level athletes return to sport faster than a lot of weekend warriors return to selling cars. I don’t know Sam personally, but my observations and reading tell me that he has a good chance to be ready for this week. Press conference statements do not convince me that his backups, as glad as we should be to have a scholarship backup (hi Nebraska!), are plug and play.

• Like 5