Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

I won't be shocked if one of our 2 Freeman QB's burns one of their 4 games Saturday. Like others said, Sam's injury wouldn't be a BFD if he played any other position, and his accuracy was hit or miss before. And as much as I like Shane, not totally certain he can beat the pokes in Stoolwater..

9 hours ago, ousux said:

I won't be shocked if one of our 2 Freeman QB's burns one of their 4 games Saturday. Like others said, Sam's injury wouldn't be a BFD if he played any other position, and his accuracy was hit or miss before. And as much as I like Shane, not totally certain he can beat the pokes in Stoolwater..

Ahem ... that's the Pokeys in Stilly, coached by the Mulley.  Get it together man.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ousux said:

A little racist

• Like 3

12 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Oklahoma State probably has the worst secondary in the Big 12. Their DL is decent at getting pressure but our WRs will do bad things to their secondary if Texas can just get the ball to them. 

I'm excited to watch either QB find new and exciting ways to miss Devin Duvernay on wide open deep routes.

• Like 5

On 10/22/2018 at 8:34 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Oklahoma State probably has the worst secondary in the Big 12. Their DL is decent at getting pressure but our WRs will do bad things to their secondary if Texas can just get the ball to them. 

Meh, we said the same thing about Baylor and we didn't exactly light up their depleted secondary.  I expect a dog fight to the very end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Meh, we said the same thing about Baylor and we didn't exactly light up their depleted secondary.  I expect a dog fight to the very end.

Baylor's weakness was their run defense. That completely changed when Ehlinger was injured because they didn't have to worry about Buechele's legs.

Not to mention we would have probably lit up Baylor's secondary with Ehlinger. 

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

You might not have noticed, but our starting QB didn’t last a whole quarter. The gameplan changed at that point. It was a subtle shift. 

• Like 1

Obviously, a game plan is just that - a plan for the game. The Texas coaches looked at the Baylor defense and started planning on how RB runs would draw up safeties. Those safeties could then be exploited by combo routes. When the LBs re-deployed, that could be targeted with zone reads and RPOs. The important point is that one play set up the defense to be victimized by the next series.

We've discussed the relative skill sets of Sam and Shane. When Sam exited so quickly, the staff just sort of lopped off part of the playbook. They were confident that Baylor was a leaky defense, and just trusted to overall skill. In the 2nd quarter, Texas jumped out to a wide lead.

When they came back for the 2nd half, the offensive staff chose to ride the defense. If I have one criticism of the Texas OC, it's the tendency (with the head coach's assent) to minimize risk too early. They did not rebuild the playbook for Shane at halftime, but rather operated under the same limits as in the 1st half. Clearly, they also wanted to minimize the risk of injury to Shane - having the lead and no experienced backup.

Once again, the tendency to minimize risk led to an opponent throwing into the endzone for the win at the end. The Texas coaches are still learning their craft on the big stage, and must guard against this tendency.

This week, if the coaches know Sam may not go (they may be fully confident right now that he's 100% OK - no one really knows), then they have a book ready for Shane to run the entire game. This book uses his skill set (more precise passing and less, but not no, running) to set up plays to exploit oSu's defensive tendencies and adjustments. For instance, the Cowboys love to blitz similar to Orlando's defense. Running screens, motioning TEs to tip off coverages and re-balance protections will play to Shane's strengths and punish that level of aggression. If they abandon pressure, see how they handle "trips right" route combinations.

Our offense has a diverse skill set. With two weeks to answer the "what if Sam can't go" question, I'm confident they'll have the answers.

Edited by GoldAppleCorps
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I felt a measure of "cautious optimism" this morning after a night of overrated IPA's and Mexican food.  I was wrong.  Never trust a shoulder injury and post-Mexican food & beer shart....

If the shart from Mexican food and beer injures your shoulder, you really ought to look into regularly taking a probiotic.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 8:37 PM, jdhorn92 said:

Yep. If we have Shane, we will likely lose. 

What's the line now? Last I saw was 3 1/2. 

I got a coupla Franklins saying we cover.

Maybe RadiologyHorn guarantees, but all the Radiologists I know are quacks... both of 'em.

Yeah, I know he's gone - at least under that name, but he may have infested Snacks.

Edited by Tex Long

On 10/25/2018 at 8:47 AM, GoldAppleCorps said:

Obviously, a game plan is just that - a plan for the game. The Texas coaches looked at the Baylor defense and started planning on how RB runs would draw up safeties. Those safeties could then be exploited by combo routes. When the LBs re-deployed, that could be targeted with zone reads and RPOs. The important point is that one play set up the defense to be victimized by the next series.

We've discussed the relative skill sets of Sam and Shane. When Sam exited so quickly, the staff just sort of lopped off part of the playbook. They were confident that Baylor was a leaky defense, and just trusted to overall skill. In the 2nd quarter, Texas jumped out to a wide lead.

When they came back for the 2nd half, the offensive staff chose to ride the defense. If I have one criticism of the Texas OC, it's the tendency (with the head coach's assent) to minimize risk too early. They did not rebuild the playbook for Shane at halftime, but rather operated under the same limits as in the 1st half. Clearly, they also wanted to minimize the risk of injury to Shane - having the lead and no experienced backup.

Once again, the tendency to minimize risk led to an opponent throwing into the endzone for the win at the end. The Texas coaches are still learning their craft on the big stage, and must guard against this tendency.

This week, if the coaches know Sam may not go (they may be fully confident right now that he's 100% OK - no one really knows), then they have a book ready for Shane to run the entire game. This book uses his skill set (more precise passing and less, but not no, running) to set up plays to exploit oSu's defensive tendencies and adjustments. For instance, the Cowboys love to blitz similar to Orlando's defense. Running screens, motioning TEs to tip off coverages and re-balance protections will play to Shane's strengths and punish that level of aggression. If they abandon pressure, see how they handle "trips right" route combinations.

Our offense has a diverse skill set. With two weeks to answer the "what if Sam can't go" question, I'm confident they'll have the answers.

I certainly hope you are right that they've designed - and will implement - variations that enhance Shane's skill set should the need arise. Tom's comments to Craig Way on Longhorn Weekly last night is disconcerting though. Mensa went on about the plays being atomic and not relevant to the consistency or relevance to the plays that follow. Like his take that momentum is not real.

I hear this philosophical BS from him, and I really can't decide if he is being serious or not. Really? Like if you draw up a run play that nets 2 yards vs. 7, you don't think that has any relevance to the 4-down series in what you think should be called next? Extend that to overall series-by-series and second-half adjustments, and given our diverse skill set - as you rightly note - and this staff is playing with fire by minimizing risk and relying on the defense. It damn near cost us against OU. Orlando is making those adjustments, but the offense continues to underwhelm with their lack of aggressive exploitation of situational mismatches.