Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

1 hour ago, bigcigar said:

Need to win some games first. And I don’t see WVU beating OU

i don't understand why people say stuff like this.  ou has a garbage ass defense and wvu is playing at home (and FOR something).  it's, at worst a 50/50 game and so many on this site are just conceding it to ou for some reason that i just can't understand. 

• Like 2

http://daveyobrienaward.org/2018/11/semifinalists-for-2018-davey-obrien-award-announced/

Sam Ehlinger getting snubbed yet again.

Thrown for over 2100 yds, 16 Tds, 2 ints and has ran for 9 TDs . Hasn’t thrown an Int since week 1. Yet he’s not even a semifinalist over guys like Ian Book who didn’t even start the season as starter & Jake Fromm who has less yds, more ints, and -26 yds rushing. Idk man

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

http://daveyobrienaward.org/2018/11/semifinalists-for-2018-davey-obrien-award-announced/

Sam Ehlinger getting snubbed yet again.

Thrown for over 2100 yds, 16 Tds, 2 ints and has ran for 9 TDs . Hasn’t thrown an Int since week 1. Yet he’s not even a semifinalist over guys like Ian Book who didn’t even start the season as starter & Jake Fromm who has less yds, more ints, and -26 yds rushing. Idk man

If we won either of the last 2 weeks I guarantee that he would have made the semifinalists. 

4 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

None of those losses were because of Sam

Agree - but compare the storylines:

"Ehlinger leads Top 10 Texas back for gritty wins in back-to-back weeks" 

vs

"Ehlinger can't bring Texas back two weeks in a row, Texas drops out of Top 10" 

52 minutes ago, hornian said:

Agree - but compare the storylines:

"Ehlinger leads Top 10 Texas back for gritty wins in back-to-back weeks" 

vs

"Ehlinger can't bring Texas back two weeks in a row, Texas drops out of Top 10" 

Ehlinger has been handed a defense with piss-poor depth featuring a bunch of freshman that don't know how to win games yet. The only reason OSU and WVU didn't ass rape us is because Ehlinger slung it around to keep us in both games late. 

Ehlinger has been handed a defense with piss-poor depth featuring a bunch of freshman that don't know how to win games yet. The only reason OSU and WVU didn't ass rape us is because Ehlinger slung it around to keep us in both games late. 

I haven’t watched the WVU game yet, but osu didn’t ass rape Texas because of Gundy. That’s not a popular thought around here but it could have been really ugly had he not turtled up.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:02 AM, BigOrange1 said:

i don't understand why people say stuff like this.  ou has a garbage ass defense and wvu is playing at home (and FOR something).  it's, at worst a 50/50 game and so many on this site are just conceding it to ou for some reason that i just can't understand. 

Probably because OU is 6--0 against WVU since they joined the Big 12, in other words, OU has beat them 6 times now with a garbage ass defense. 2016 in essence has zero relevance to this game but it was the only time in Big 12 play that these teams have played with something on the line. WVU was ranked 10th, OU was ranked 8th, night game in Morgantown, in the snow, if WVU wins and they are in the drivers seat to win the conference and be the Big 12's new years bowl representative, they get their doors blown off 56-28...

Sure they have a punchers chance but that is about it.

Edited by Texas25

Sam Ehlinger has become my favorite thing about Saturdays, the same way I used to look forward to watching Colt and Vince play. I don't want the season to end, just because I want to see this dude ball out more. He's entertaining as hell.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Texas25 said:

Probably because OU is 6--0 against WVU since they joined the Big 12, in other words, OU has beat them 6 times now with a garbage ass defense. 2016 in essence has zero relevance to this game but it was the only time in Big 12 play that these teams have played with something on the line. WVU was ranked 10th, OU was ranked 8th, night game in Morgantown, in the snow, if WVU wins and they are in the drivers seat to win the conference and be the Big 12's new years bowl representative, they get their doors blown off 56-28...

Sure they have a punchers chance but that is about it.

Yeah I'm not holding my breath. Most of the other teams in this conference seem to like taking it in the ass from OU.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:52 PM, BigXII said:

Sam Ehlinger has become my favorite thing about Saturdays, the same way I used to look forward to watching Colt and Vince play. I don't want the season to end, just because I want to see this dude ball out more. He's entertaining as hell.

man, this thread has gone full homer retard. somebody needs to be the voice of reason here and i've never had a problem being that guy. Sam Ehlinger is solid. He doesn't turn the ball over, he picks up some yards with his legs, he's tough, and he's really likable- but now he's worth tuning in for like Vince and Colt?! What?! 

Y'all are getting carried away. Y'all have been getting carried away. Sam is not spectacular. Sam is not some dynamic play maker. Sam still misses a bunch of easy throws every game- see him missing the same wide open seam route three times vs WVU last week, all three on plays that would have been TD's for us. Sam is a super solid bus driver, closer to David Ash or Major Applewhite than he is Vince or Colt. I mean come on- Kyler Murray is spectacular. Will Grier is a crazy good passer in a wide open offense. Tua Tongaviloa is an exciting QB who is worth tuning in for. Sam is, again,  more of a really solid bus driver than he is some spectacular "must see tv" kind of player. He's not out here making plays like Colt and VY did. Not even a little bit. 

We've established that Sam is better than Shane, and that he gives us the best chance to win. The fact that he doesn't turn the ball over is outstanding. But let's not do what this site always does and get carried away with the smallest amount of success to the point of being completely self deluded. I mean we had fans who expected Texas to win 7 games this year, but then we beat OU, we move up to no.6 in the country, obvious warts and all, and all of a sudden those same fans expect us to stay in the top 10. Now those same fans are losing their collective shit as we revert to the mean, losing a close game on the road and then losing another one point game to a top 10 team. Now all of a sudden we suck and we need to fire all of our coaches, even though like 8 weeks ago nobody thought we'd be this competitive. Don't do the same thing with Sam. Don't get carried away to the point of delusion. I've seen people talking about the Heisman next year. Come on. Sam is good, but he is nowhere near great, and he's damn sure not some spectacular playmaker who demands your attention every Saturday. Let's keep it real around here. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

and for the record, my last post is not solely in response to the post i quoted. You'll notice that I referenced having seen Heisman talk about Sam. That's crazy, even for next year. I mean where do y'all think he ranks as far as college QBs go this year? Is he even one of the 20 best QBs in the nation? Maybe. Maybe not. He's certainly not in the discussion of best QBs, nor is he an apparent Heisman contender for 2019. He's a mid tier Big XII QB who doesn't kill his team with turnovers, but who also doesn't pull off any individual heroics to push his team over the top, particularly in this day and age of QBs who are as athletic as wideouts but who can also really throw them ball. I sincerely hope that Rising or someone else can be a step above where Sam currently is whenever it's his turn to be our QB.

12 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I don't  know man, he's getting increasingly accurate and I think they are holding back the number of runs they call for him.

He's good, no doubt. But he's nowhere close to being on the same level as Kyler Murray, Tua, Grier, etc. He's a borderline top 20 QB in America, but when you come to this thread you see "Heisman favorite for next year" and "i want to watch him play like I wanted to watch Colt and VY". That shit is straight up crazy, delusional, homerism. There is zero shortage (and in fact there's really an abundance of) electrifying, play making QBs in college football. Even smaller schools from smaller conferences have some outstanding playmakers, whether they are traditional passers or dual threat guys. Sam is not near the top of the list of best QBs in America, yet to read this thread lately you'd think he's an All American and Davey O'Brien finalist. It's classic shaggy/surly and I'm just pointing out that we can both love and praise him *and* be realistic about what kind of player he is. 

Edited by Goo Punch

24 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

and for the record, my last post is not solely in response to the post i quoted. You'll notice that I referenced having seen Heisman talk about Sam. That's crazy, even for next year. I mean where do y'all think he ranks as far as college QBs go this year? Is he even one of the 20 best QBs in the nation? Maybe. Maybe not. He's certainly not in the discussion of best QBs, nor is he an apparent Heisman contender for 2019. He's a mid tier Big XII QB who doesn't kill his team with turnovers, but who also doesn't pull off any individual heroics to push his team over the top, particularly in this day and age of QBs who are as athletic as wideouts but who can also really throw them ball. I sincerely hope that Rising or someone else can be a step above where Sam currently is whenever it's his turn to be our QB.

Posting-Tip-Elle.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I think he's in the running for best QB returning in the Big 12 next season. A lot of that will depend on one of, but hopefully both, his top targets returning. But there are some damn good quarterbacks leaving for the pros next year.

yeah that's my biggest concern for Sam going forward; i'm afraid he'll be without both LJ and CJ next year, and that's going to be really really difficult to replace if they do indeed both leave. LJ's stock is going up, up, up so I'm assuming he's gone, and CJ is going to wow scouts with his physical attributes; if he has a good pro day there's no reason he couldn't be a third round pick, which even the posssibility of that happening would probably be enough for him to bolt as well.

2 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

He’s damn good for a true sophomore with a marginal OL and not much of a run game. 

He’s much more than a game manager, he’s a difference maker making an average team a semi-good team. 

He's a difference maker? How? We just went into half time with 170 total yards of offense vs Texas Tech. You think we'd be putting up the same stats with Murray, Grier, or Tua at QB? Because those guys are difference makers. Sam is an above average QB who is consistently solid, and who definitely benefits from having two matchup nightmare, future NFL WR's to throw to. He isn't out here turning broken plays into huge gains with his legs, he isn't out here throwing darts on precision routes to the tune of 380 yards a game, he isn't out here running the ball like he's a wide receiver, he's out here moving the chains and not turning the ball over, occasionally missing wide open guys and occasionally dropping spectacular passes into tight coverage. He's a good quarterback. He does not meet my definition of "difference maker". 

5 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

He’s damn good for a true sophomore with a marginal OL and not much of a run game. 

He’s much more than a game manager, he’s a difference maker making an average team a semi-good team. 

Two months ago, this post would've given me fits of laughter and incredulity. But today? Hell, yeah. Sam's growth has been extraordinary.

also, re: "true sophomore". It's not 1995 anymore; freshmen and sophomores are all conference and all american players now with regularity. I keep referencing Kyler Murray and Tua, a freshman and a sophomore, both of whom are actual legit difference makers and Heisman contenders. There's nothing particularly noteworthy about being at Sam's performance level as a sophomore. He's good, and that's fine. I doubt you'll find anybody outside of this fan base who thinks he's "a difference maker", or "must see tv".

Edited by Goo Punch

Holy Jesus.  If you can't see the massive improvement from last year to this year, both in terms of his understanding of the offense as well as his ability to throw the ball, then I don't know what to say.  He's immensely improved.  Can you confidently extrapolate?  Here's a true pro tip:  you can't.  Extrapolation is the most ill-advised and silly things one can do given whatever is in front of their face.  You have no idea where Sam will end up, but I will tell you this:  he's currently good, and the arc is up.  THAT'S indisputable.  

You just want to create controversy.  Congratulations, you did it.

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

This is a really odd hill to die on, dude. Sam has been balling. He hasn't been perfect, but he's arguably been our best and most consistent player since OU. And he is flat-out carrying the team (and its coaches) today.

really? saying that sam isn't spectacular and isn't a heisman contender is "a weird hill to die on"? okie dokie. how silly of me to try and be rational with longhorn football fans. the team coaches and players are all either fucking terrible or are unbeatable all american studs with no flaws in their game. nothing in between. no nuance, no shades of gray. oh and it changes by the week. after maryland our team is terrible and we need herman's head on a spike; then we beat OU and Texas is now unbeatable and anyone who questions this is a beta boy cuck pussy; then we lose back to back one-point games in conference and everbiyd fucking sucks again and all the coaches need to get fired. that's how we do at a texas.

this is honestly my bad for even posting on the football board. i knew it was like this before i posted. i need to learn my lesson. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy Jesus.  If you can't see the massive improvement from last year to this year, both in terms of his understanding of the offense as well as his ability to throw the ball, then I don't know what to say.  He's immensely improved.  Can you confidently extrapolate?  Here's a true pro tip:  you can't.  Extrapolation is the most ill-advised and silly things one can do given whatever is in front of their face.  You have no idea where Sam will end up, but I will tell you this:  he's currently good, and the arc is up.  THAT'S indisputable.  

You just want to create controversy.  Congratulations, you did it.

you literally didn't address a single fucking thing i've said, and i never once have tried to refute anything you just said, so wow, great post. 

it's spectacular, your ability to do this. and save the fucking dramatics. "you just want to create controversy". oh my fucking god you're such a girl. if that's what i wanted then i'd be posting on the football board saying incendiary shit every day, as opposed to just chiming in with my two cents every few weeks or so. get over your retarded dramatics already, jesus.

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You sure do but you won't. 

that is a fact. and i'm okay with it. we all have little vices, and one of mine is that i have a hard time holding my tongue when i see this fan base doing what it always does and sensationalizing everything that's good or bad about our program.  

bottom line, nobody outside of this fan base is anywhere near as smitten with Sam's consistently solid play to the point of tuning in to watch him ball out, or saying that he's a heisman contender. these sentiments are delusional, and are held only by members of this fan base.

Edited by Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

really? saying that sam isn't spectacular and isn't a heisman contender is "a weird hill to die on"? okie dokie. how silly of me to try and be rational with longhorn football fans. the team coaches and players are all either fucking terrible or are unbeatable all american studs with no flaws in their game. nothing in between. no nuance, no shades of gray. oh and it changes by the week. after maryland our team is terrible and we need herman's head on a spike; then we beat OU and Texas is now unbeatable and anyone who questions this is a beta boy cuck pussy; then we lose back to back one-point games in conference and everbiyd fucking sucks again and all the coaches need to get fired. that's how we do at a texas.

this is honestly my bad for even posting on the football board. i knew it was like this before i posted. i need to learn my lesson. 

One thousand one...one thousand two...

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

you literally didn't address a single fucking thing i've said, and i never once have tried to refute anything you just said, so wow, great post. 

it's spectacular, your ability to do this. and save the fucking dramatics. "you just want to create controversy". oh my fucking god you're such a girl. if that's what i wanted then i'd be posting on the football board saying incendiary shit every day, as opposed to just chiming in with my two cents every few weeks or so. get over your retarded dramatics already, jesus.

Dammit

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Shut the fuck up.  You step in it and start scolding people and you expect no pushback?  Fuck that.  You're the epitome of a high school drama queen, trying to stir up controversy.

Here's the deal:  you know jack.  You like to pontificate and then you get your panties bunched  when people don't react in deference.  You'll never learn.

You are absolutely trying to create controversy where none is warranted.  It's your stock in trade.  Don't act like we don't know exactly what you are.

• Like 3