Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

31 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

okay, so i didn't predict it, i said i wouldn't be surprised if it happened, and i was admittedly waaaay off on that one. my level of respect for Sam has grown tremendously since that time, and i've made dozens of posts which irrefutably show as much. I was wrong about Sam. He has turned out to be much better than I thought he would be, even as recently as those posts you've quoted. but i think that some are going too far with their praise for him now, and really i'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong once again. i will gladly take all of the abuse that comes my way a year from now if Sam Ehlinger is a Heisman contender. I think that he's a super solid QB who's been really really good for us, and I certainly don't think he sucks, as so many here seem to be gleaning from my posts. 

What exactly is a super solid QB?

Edited by ckhorn

Sam is proving my previous post wrong and he has won me over. He is a QB that doesn't play scared. We haven't had that since... Case McCoy. We haven't had a QB that doesn't play scared AND can actually throw the ball since Colt McCoy. His decision making is getting better, but he still got away with a couple tonight.

for the record i love ehlinger as a person, and i can admit that every week that goes by i like him more and more as a qb. part of me wants to keep doubting him because it's been going so well thus far, but i mean i really can't anymore, can i? okay, only a few of you will understand this, but here goes-

right now i feel like devin from MTVs The Challenge. I've felt very strongly about something, I've stood firm on it, but now I've been shown some video tape that's pretty much impossible to deny. In devin's case it was a video of his teammate assaulting someone else, and in this case it's Sam Ehlinger proving me more and more wrong, week after week after week.

I totally concede. Say whatever you want about him. Call him a future Heisman contender, call him a difference maker, call him a total badass, because that's what he is. And I once again find myself in the wrong side of this argument. I think i'll go have a nice big glass of STFU with a slice of humble pie and leave this thread for the night. Sam is the man. Derka is stupid. Good luck, and goodnight.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

for the record i love ehlinger as a person, and i can admit that every week that goes by i like him more and more as a qb. part of me wants to keep doubting him because it's been going so well thus far, but i mean i really can't anymore, can i? okay, only a few of you will understand this, but here goes-

right now i feel like devin from MTVs The Challenge. I've felt very strongly about something, I've stood firm on it, but now I've been shown some video tape that's pretty much impossible to deny. In devin's case it was a video of his teammate assaulting someone else, and in this case it's Sam Ehlinger proving me more and more wrong, week after week after week.

I totally concede. Say whatever you want about him. Call him a future Heisman contender, call him a difference maker, call him a total badass, because that's what he is. And I once again find myself in the wrong side of this argument. I think i'll go have a nice big glass of STFU with a slice of humble pie and leave this thread for the night. Sam is the man. Derka is stupid. Good luck, and goodnight.

Not sure if serious.gif 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

If Ehlinger finishes strong he should honestly get an invite to NYC for the Heisman ceremony. He's been carrying us. 

26 TDs and 0 interceptions since week 1? That's insane. 

Not with 3 losses, but this will set him up to be on the initial “lists” next year. 

17 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiit

On 10/13/2018 at 6:50 PM, gurt said:

I know he was thrown into a game he wasn’t expecting to be in but has Shane gotten worse over his career? He used to have decent touch and an ok deep ball, today he had one good throw that I can remember (TD to CJ). Even his screen throws were behind the receiver and he overthrew duvernay by 5 feet on a 10 yard throw.

He just isn’t good at a single facet imo. Doesn’t read coverage well, won’t or can’t throw over the middle, self sacks, seems to be a poor leader. I can’t really fathom why people ever really preferred him over Sam at any point. Just my two cebts

He got drilled in his right armpit by some dude in the Cal game years ago and he hasn't been the same since. 

Ehlinger -- he might not win the Heisman or be a pro QB but he will leave the 40 as one of the most beloved players ever. 

Sam's stats would have been even better if not for 5-6 dropped passes by receivers tonight (to be fair, we also had a few spectacular 50/50 wins as well by the same group).

Look, Sam was an average game manager through the first three quarters of the Maryland game, and was subpar in the final quarter.

He was a plus game manager from Tulsa through KSU.

From the OU game onwards, he's been winning games for us, and has been playing well as any QB in the country.

Player development is a thing.

• Like 2

Sam is only going to continue to get better. He’s a fucking true sophomore for fuck’s sake. Keep improving his help and the upside is huge. We have some very nice playmakers on the way that will be on the same field with Sam before he’s done here (I think he goes 4). The kind of leadership he already exudes is priceless for any team. He’s a winner and a competitive alpha we’ve been missing. I don’t know how far we’ll actually go on his watch, but I believe he will be remembered as a major reason this team will find it’s way out of the abyss it’s been in for most of the past decade. JMO.

40 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Can someone lend me an Orsen Wells clapping gif.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Yep. If he had a reliable running game that he wasn't the center of and not a shitty interior OL, Sam would have NCAA football type numbers.

Sam with a sturdier Ingram and hopefully another really good RB like Noah Cain could be dynamite in 2019. Even more so if a couple of the backup OL such as Imade, Okafor, or Angilau break through.

Edited by Machinator

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Yep. If he had a reliable running game that he wasn't the center of and not a shitty interior OL, Sam would have NCAA football type numbers.

1 minute ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Since the stats probably won't be updated till midweek, I think these are his new totals (math isn't my subject):

205-319 - 2483 yards - 64ish% - 20 TD - 2 INT
345 rushing - 9 TD

Purty good.

That's not including about a dozen drops over the last three games.

One thing to criticize Sam on today, as good as he was - his pocket awareness was not up to his usual standard. Two or three of the sacks given up were on him for waiting way too long to get rid of it and trying to spin out of pressure. Props to David Gibbs as well for scheming up some damn good pressures.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

248 passing yards per game isn’t all that great in this conference relative to the other qbs, but we are one of two teams that try to slow the game down instead of speed it up. 

Its nice knowing that we have a seasoned qb to count on for the next two seasons. 

You really need to divide by 9 since he only threw 3 passes against Baylor and then sat out the final 50+minutes. So it’s closer the 275 yards a game. And he’s been over 300 last few weeks, so he’s trending in the right direction. 

Edited by hornian

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

248 passing yards per game isn’t all that great in this conference relative to the other qbs, but we are one of two teams that try to slow the game down instead of speed it up. 

Its nice knowing that we have a seasoned qb to count on for the next two seasons. 

I will take Sam over any QB in this conference besides Grier and Murray. Well I'd take Sam over Murray since Murray is going to play baseball. There's more to sports than just stats. We don't run the offense most of the Big 12 runs. We want to be physical and run the ball. We aren't going to be throwing for 400 yards a game. Sam has grown so much from last year to this year. If we actually had a defense worth a damn, we would be a playoff contender.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I will take Sam over any QB in this conference besides Grier and Murray. Well I'd take Sam over Murray since Murray is going to play baseball. There's more to sports than just stats. We don't run the offense most of the Big 12 runs. We want to be physical and run the ball. We aren't going to be throwing for 400 yards a game. Sam has grown so much from last year to this year. If we actually had a defense worth a damn, we would be a playoff contender.

Yes, Grier and Murray could not replace the physical inside running presence that Sam brings game in and game out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, Grier and Murray could not replace the physical inside running presence that Sam brings game in and game out.

Yep. And Sam went head to head and should have beaten both of them easily. I like our style of play. It wears down these soft defenses in today's football. 

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I’d take him over all of them. But I’d also take some better D scheme. If we only had one more stop per quarter (or even per half) on D, things would be entirely different looking .

Edited by Wishbone
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Play-off contender yes, but play-off winner, no. We need some studs on the Offense and Defensive lines, plus more depth. We could get there by adding a couple of grad transfers and good jucos. Probably not still going to happen. Need to finish this recruiting cycle strong and keep building.

1 minute ago, ckhorn said:

Play-off contender yes, but play-off winner, no. We need some studs on the Offense and Defensive lines, plus more depth. We could get there by adding a couple of grad transfers and good jucos. Probably not still going to happen. Need to finish this recruiting cycle strong and keep building.

If we had a good defense, I think we are right on par with Michigan and Notre Dame. Hell I think we can match up with them right now.

Just now, markstanco said:
17 minutes ago, Wishbone said:
Again, this is the leader this team has been missing since Colt. And it’s growing more all the time. He won that game tonight. 

Next year he will be full on beast mode with the offense. Will be so much fun to watch.

Yes sir. Anyone who isn’t looking forward to what can happen isn’t paying attention.

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What's the average if you take out the Baylor game?