Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

If only we had a LJ thread..... j/k

Some of the passes the last couple of weeks have been as good as it gets at any level.  Two TD from last week that he just dropped right over a defender to the receiver.

From last night:

Throw to LJ to win the game obviously.

The other LJ circus catch on the right sideline where he high pointed it over the defender and tipped it with one hand back to himself

The back shoulder throw to Epps

The TD to Duvernay at the back, left end of the endzone

The throw to Heard along the left side line where Jerrod runs straight up and stops.  Good coverage, better throw.

The low and away pass where only Heard could catch it to pick up a first down late in the game.  

Throw to Beck over the middle to convert 1st down by 1/2 yard.

Other TD throw to LJ - almost no window at all and he snuck it in there.

Great throws but still required a great catch so Sam got some help.

In almost all of those examples (and I am sure there were more I can't remember), the coverage was actually very good.  Well defended but still converted.  Sam's a baaaddd man. 

• Like 1

I hope Sam bulks up like Colt did between his junior and senior seasons. He already looks like a strong guy, but he could use more protection and strength due to the way he plays. Sam needs some of that south american jesus shit that Colt got strong with.

Edited by BigXII

I hope Sam bulks up like Colt did between his junior and senior seasons. He already looks like a strong guy, but he could use more protection and strength due to the way he plays. Sam needs some of that south american jesus shit that Colt got strong with.

He’s 230 now. Doubtful he gets any bigger. Colt topped out at 210 on a good day and is probably 2 inches shorter.

I hope not. Get some more flexibility and explosiveness. Cant see him doing that at 6’2 250

Obviously the defense, or lack thereof, has been the talk of the town, but Sam has been absolute money since OU. Still takes too many sacks but you can live with that given everything else he's done well. Would never have seen this coming after Maryland, hats off to Sam and the coaching staff. I do expect ISU to slow him and the offense down a bit because they are very good, but wanted to get that in before the knee jerk reactions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 11/10/2018 at 8:50 PM, Goo Punch said:

He's a difference maker? How? We just went into half time with 170 total yards of offense vs Texas Tech. You think we'd be putting up the same stats with Murray, Grier, or Tua at QB? Because those guys are difference makers. Sam is an above average QB who is consistently solid, and who definitely benefits from having two matchup nightmare, future NFL WR's to throw to. He isn't out here turning broken plays into huge gains with his legs, he isn't out here throwing darts on precision routes to the tune of 380 yards a game, he isn't out here running the ball like he's a wide receiver, he's out here moving the chains and not turning the ball over, occasionally missing wide open guys and occasionally dropping spectacular passes into tight coverage. He's a good quarterback. He does not meet my definition of "difference maker". 

You can never be happy or satisfied with anything can you?  Just sit back and enjoy it instead of criticizing every damned thing Sam has done.  Maybe the bolded part extends to your life outside of Surly, maybe that's your whole problem.

..and no one gives a red headed fuck what your definition of "difference maker" is, or any other of your definitions for that matter.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 5

His confidence is inspiring. His running is well above average - especially when it comes to getting the tough yards, and apparently he is learning to read defenses, something that could become his biggest strength. He's the kind of cornerstone you can build a championship team around.

Our future looks bright with him at the helm.

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Obviously the defense, or lack thereof, has been the talk of the town, but Sam has been absolute money since OU. Still takes too many sacks but you can live with that given everything else he's done well. Would never have seen this coming after Maryland, hats off to Sam and the coaching staff. I do expect ISU to slow him and the offense down a bit because they are very good, but wanted to get that in before the knee jerk reactions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'd rather him take a sack than throw up a prayer that gets intercepted. 

5 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You can never be happy or satisfied with anything can you?  Just sit back and enjoy it instead of criticizing every damned thing Sam has done.  Maybe the bolded part extends to your life outside of Surly, maybe that's your whole problem.

..and no one gives a red headed fuck what your definition of "difference maker" is, or any other of your definitions for that matter.

What you have to understand is that he should have completed 100% of his passes, he still just misses to many throws. He should have gone 36/36 for 500 yards against that awful Tech defense, we should expect nothing less.

• Haha 1

He's climbing the charts nationally.  Looking at pass efficiency, he's at #28.  However, he's behind the QB at most schools that are higher ranked, including the top 8 in the current AP poll.  He is ahead of the QBs for LSU, Washington State, Kentucky, and Syracuse.
Most are ahead of the KY QB.

58 minutes ago, Zavala said:

4th down pass to Beck was brilliant, the SEC announcers are so surprised at going for it on 4th down, then so surprised again at competent QB play. Great fucking pass, they replay it like 10 times. 43:58

You know, we all thought last year that Tom Herman went for it on fourth down so often because of a total lack of confidence in his kicker.  It turns out that he just has huge testicles. 

• Haha 1

Helps when you got a QB who can pick up a first downs his legs but also hit a dime at 10 yards, two grown ass men in CJ and LJ, a fast guy with good hands and physical after the catch like Duvernay and oh yeah a really good pass catching TE as his 4th option and Heard as a fifth.  Percentage of picking up 4th downs this year has been really favorable. 

34 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You know, we all thought last year that Tom Herman went for it on fourth down so often because of a total lack of confidence in his kicker.  It turns out that he just has huge testicles. 

and mild autism - you look at the percentages and momentum isn't real ya NEVER punt lol

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

4th down pass to Beck was brilliant, the SEC announcers are so surprised at going for it on 4th down, then so surprised again at competent QB play. Great fucking pass, they replay it like 10 times. 43:58

The best thing is going to the 2:34:15 mark, seeing all those happy, excited faces and hopeful hearts, and knowing that Sam's about to eviscerate them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1