Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

19 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I think Shane can beat Kansas. He's a solid QB if the line gives him even average time. 

Suggesting that he's the reason we lost to Kansas is absurd. That was a team loss in the smelliest sense of the word loss.

Agree.

How soon people forget as if  they didn’t watch the horror.

The losses this year also were due to the D , mostly, as opposed to last year.

The fake tunnel vision is strong with the Surly.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bmbmd said:

My grandson played peewee football on a team that was assistant-coached by a former NFL long-snapper-Fred Durst of the Redskins.  One of the little dudes got roughed up pretty good on a play, and came over to the sidelines crying his nine-year old eyes out.  Six foot four  bald headed Durst kneeled down and got right in his face. Pointing vigorously at his little heart, Durst said "Son-embrace the pain!  Embrace the pain!"  The little dude said through his tears  "Okay" and turned around and ran back out to the field.  

Just gotta have faith

• Like 1

Sam, for the sake of my beleaguered heart from watching Texas football from 2010 until now, please master the art of the slide even if that means sliding 1 yard short of the sticks on 3rd down. Our Big 12 title hopes rest on your health.

Edited by Texas25

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Is that what that means? He is cool and does not even need a week or so to rehab?

my guess is we are starting Shane and Sam will be ready if needed.  

We all have CS PTSD as it relates to Kansas. Shane had 3 picks(including a pick 6 and and OT pick), we had 3 fumbles, and a missed FG and the game went to OT.

Shane has some actual real football players and an OL that can pass block fairly well.  KU is probably the same team they were then and we are light years better.

If we play our normal game as it relates to TO's and D this is a 20 point win.  OU gave up 40 but their D is a complete shitshow for 4 quarters every game.  we seem to play good D for at least 2 or 3 quarters every game.  that should be good enough to beat Kansas.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

We all have CS PTSD as it relates to Kansas. Shane had 3 picks(including a pick 6 and and OT pick), we had 3 fumbles, and a missed FG and the game went to OT.

Shane has some actual real football players and an OL that can pass block fairly well.  KU is probably the same team they were then and we are light years better.

If we play our normal game as it relates to TO's and D this is a 20 point win.  OU gave up 40 but their D is a complete shitshow for 4 quarters every game.  we seem to play good D for at least 2 or 3 quarters every game.  that should be good enough to beat Kansas.

They probably are the same team, but they lead the league in turnovers, it's the one thing they do really well.  We lead the league in turnovers given up, though I believe 25% of them are with Shane under center for 1.5 games.  Here's to hoping to buck that trend.  

5 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I don't remember seeing him with playsheets until the end

I know. We all had such great hopes for the offense last year. It is called cognitive dissonance. It would be great if it were so simple as Herman suddenly deciding to start calling plays. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Ehlinger offseason 2018: mastery of avoiding dumbass interceptions

Ehlinger offseason 2019: mastery of the slide

I dont think Herman design those plays to ask Sam to slide, he called those plays hoping Sam can make palys with his legs, not to slide. He slides in the open field, but in short yardage situation he gotta run and break tackles.

17 minutes ago, #1Texasfan said:

I dont think Herman design those plays to ask Sam to slide, he called those plays hoping Sam can make palys with his legs, not to slide. He slides in the open field, but in short yardage situation he gotta run and break tackles.

It was 3rd an 14 right before the half with .07 seconds to go and he gained 13 yards trying to lower his head and get 14. He needs to learn to just slide in certain situations like that. I'd rather have a 17-3 halftime lead with Sam playing QB the rest of the game than a 17-3 lead without Sam (because him lowering his head didn't accomplish what he was going for and being up 21-3 doesn't make up for losing him). Love his moxy but he doesn't need to prove his toughness to anybody, want him to be smart tough. It is one thing to not slide knowing the hit is coming from the side, it is another to know you're lining a guy up with every intention to imitate Earl Campbell to try and get a 1st down.

4 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

It was 3rd an 14 right before the half with .07 seconds to go and he gained 13 yards trying to lower his head and get 14. He needs to learn to just slide in certain situations like that. I'd rather have a 17-3 halftime lead with Sam playing QB the rest of the game than a 17-3 lead without Sam (because him lowering his head didn't accomplish what he was going for and being up 21-3 doesn't make up for losing him). Love his moxy but he doesn't need to prove his toughness to anybody, want him to be smart tough. It is one thing to not slide knowing the hit is coming from the side, it is another to know you're lining a guy up with every intention to imitate Earl Campbell to try and get a 1st down.

Yes. He needs to up his situational awareness. Texas wasn't going to score a TD on that drive, unless Sam raced untouched into the EZ. Even had he picked up the 1st down, you'd have time for 1 more play. Slide take the 3 points and take the opening drive of the 2nd half down for a TD and push the lead to 24-3.

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Pretty much every central Texas actor had a small part in Friday Night Lights

I was in the stands for Smash's injury and I was at the "Austin Indie Festival" pantomiming to Heartless Bastards when Julie and Matt broke up. *cries*

Edited by Tired of Lurking

Here's what I'm thinking. Right now, Herman is tempted to start Shane to see how it goes. He's thinking that maybe if Sam sits on the bench for a quarter that it might make him think twice the next time he tries to run over a safety.

That said, I'm guessing our defensive alignment is going to have a tough time stopping a good running team, which Kansas appears to have become. If they can combine an effective ground attack with some play-action long balls, we could be in for a long night. Sam should be playing by the second quarter. Nothing is going to come easy to this team for the rest of the season. But that's okay- that's how you become champions.

Hook 'em.

26 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Here's what I'm thinking. Right now, Herman is tempted to start Shane to see how it goes. He's thinking that maybe if Sam sits on the bench for a quarter that it might make him think twice the next time he tries to run over a safety.

That said, I'm guessing our defensive alignment is going to have a tough time stopping a good running team, which Kansas appears to have become. If they can combine an effective ground attack with some play-action long balls, we could be in for a long night. Sam should be playing by the second quarter. Nothing is going to come easy to this team for the rest of the season. But that's okay- that's how you become champions.

Hook 'em.

Kansas is averaging 2.74 ypc against the 3 best rush defenses in the conference (WVU, ISU, and TCU). We are the 4th best rush defense in the conference. There is no reason we shouldn't stop the run and force them to pass. They really have no threat at WR outside of Stephen Sims Jr. who is 5'10.

Protect the ball and this game shouldn't be close. I also believe Orlando will be creative enough to force one mistake. Surprisingly their QBs have comined for 17 TDs and only 3 INTs but part of that is a product of how conservative they are in the passing game. Kansas pretty much sits back and hopes you beat yourself because they know they have no chance winning straight up.

TCU out gained Kansas by 200 yards in Kansas' only win in conference this year... Turnover on downs on the KU 1 yard line, interception on their own goal line that led to a Kansas FG, fumbled on the KU 9 yard line, and let time expire on the KU 28 yard line at the end of the half. Meltdown of epic proportions by TCU. Similar to us in 2016.

Shouldn't need Sam to win; however it will definitely be a more comfortable win if Sam plays.

Edited by Texas25

5 hours ago, Texas25 said:

Kansas is averaging 2.74 ypc against the 3 best rush defenses in the conference (WVU, ISU, and TCU). We are the 4th best rush defense in the conference. There is no reason we shouldn't stop the run and force them to pass. They really have no threat at WR outside of Stephen Sims Jr. who is 5'10.

Protect the ball and this game shouldn't be close. I also believe Orlando will be creative enough to force one mistake. Surprisingly their QBs have comined for 17 TDs and only 3 INTs but part of that is a product of how conservative they are in the passing game. Kansas pretty much sits back and hopes you beat yourself because they know they have no chance winning straight up.

TCU out gained Kansas by 200 yards in Kansas' only win in conference this year... Turnover on downs on the KU 1 yard line, interception on their own goal line that led to a Kansas FG, fumbled on the KU 9 yard line, and let time expire on the KU 28 yard line at the end of the half. Meltdown of epic proportions by TCU. Similar to us in 2016.

Shouldn't need Sam to win; however it will definitely be a more comfortable win if Sam plays.

That sounds good in theory, but Kansas may be a team that is peaking. Last week they had 250 yards rushing. That's trouble in anybody's book. I have a hard time envisioning any team scoring forty plus points with Shane behind Center.

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

That sounds good in theory, but Kansas may be a team that is peaking. Last week they had 250 yards rushing. That's trouble in anybody's book. I have a hard time envisioning any team scoring forty plus points with Shane behind Center.

Lots of offenses peak against Oklahoma this year.

• Like 5

Donaldtrumpwrong.gif

Get the ball to Lil’ Jordan in the flats, that’s all it takes. He has done it to every team Texas has played, no reason to think he can’t against a basketball school.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, po elvis said:

we are pretty good against one dimensional offenses that rely on the run and have an immobile qb. i looked up their stats and their qb has -145 yards for the season. 

As long as he's not 6'4-6'6/230ish with a knee brace, we should be okay.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, dcar00 said:

i think this is my preferred plan of attack as well.  let's just see if we can get through this game without sam having to play at all and getting an extra week of rest. 

4 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

We won't have to score 40. Why? Because we don't have one of the worst defenses in football like OU does.

Look, I get we are shell shocked from the last 5 years, but people need to fucking sack up. This is a pretty poor Kansas team.  They are the worst team we've played since Baylor, their offense is pretty meh, the defense is bad. Could we lose?  Sure.  But it's pretty unlikely. If they can keep the pass rush off Buechele, there's no reason to believe he can't deliver the ball to CJ and LJH and we win by at least 2 touchdowns.

If Sam can play, he'll play.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sigh. If he’s healthy enough to play then he’ll play. We’re not “saving” our starting quarterback in an absolute must win game. If Sam doesn’t play it’s because he can’t throw.

Cool to live in a black and white world where the injured qb is either healthy or can’t throw. Some of us assumed he’d be experiencing some pain and how he can manage it is up in the air. Playing through pain in your throwing shoulder could obviously result in bad qb play and risk further injury on a short week. 

I don’t have a crystal ball but suggesting Sam sits out against Kansas shouldn’t be eye roll inducing.