Old Disney feature films

deadshank

Hell yeah. Swiss Family Robinsons, Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Old Yeller, Apple Dumpling Gang, all the Herbie the Lovebug movies. We had an old 2 screen cinema in Garland off Walnut Hill that would show old Disney live action movies during the summer in the 80s. Went there every Wednesday with the daycare my mother took us to. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Any of you grow up on the old school films like The Sword in the Stone, Charlie the Lonesome Cougar or The Living Desert (True-Life Adventures)?

Those films are burned into my memory.  Always enjoyed them.

Waaaart!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Who cried when old Yeller died ?

Scared me so much, I had to go out back and shoot our dog.   I dread the day I have to make my son watch Old Yeller and then tell him to go shoot our dog, but it’s one of the few rites of passage to manhood left in our society today. 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 10:18 PM, CooterBrown said:

Always thought the parks have missed out by not having a land themed on the old live action movies. Lots of fodder for rides and attractions.

Wasn't that the initial idea behind Frontierland and Adventureland? Frontierland was supposed to mimic the Davy Crockett movies, even down to the Indian village. And the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride at WDW back in the day was pretty kickass. 

30 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Wasn't that the initial idea behind Frontierland and Adventureland? Frontierland was supposed to mimic the Davy Crockett movies, even down to the Indian village. And the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride at WDW back in the day was pretty kickass. 

That sub ride is a fading nemo ride now and it’s pretty neat. 

My son loved the Davy Crockett movie so much when he was 4 that we wore out two VHS copies. He had a coonskin cap and his mom made him a little buckskin outfit, complete with fringes.

open-uri20150422-12561-1u4ejka_58118441.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1000%2C1500&quality=8

CSB: Fess Parker had a winery and was doing an appearance at Spec's in Houston. We took my son, in full regalia, and got a picture with him. Fess thought it was awesome.

10 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

CSB: Fess Parker had a winery and was doing an appearance at Spec's in Houston. We took my son, in full regalia, and got a picture with him. Fess thought it was awesome.

Fess Parker's winery is the scene in Sideways when Miles loses his shit and chugs the spit bucket.  Oh, and Fess was a Texas graduate.

49 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

The post Walt / pre Eisner Disney produced some unique and interesting movies. 

Tron could only ever have been produced by Disney at that time. Neither Walt nor Eisner would have bought it, and I can't think of a studio that would've otherwise tried the risk.

Maybe 20th Century Fox in the mid-1970s? But then they wouldn't be around today...

I saw Song of the South at the local theater when I was a kid in the late 60s or early 70s. 

Also, embarrassingly, Darby O'Gill and the Little People scared the shit out of me for some reason that I couldn't recall.  Then some shag poster put up a picture of that wraith/banshee and it all came back to me.  Fucker

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

51NSQCG0CDL._SY445_.jpg

I was just going to add The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes.

That was one of the best parts of the last week of school in grade school and junior high, the Disney movies they would show us in the afternoons.

I'll add these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td389xjjENA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDAm3vxMrg0

Oops, it didn't work. The video would not embed, The Absent Minded Professor & Son of Flubber

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

I saw Song of the South at the local theater when I was a kid in the late 60s or early 70s. 

Also, embarrassingly, Darby O'Gill and the Little People scared the shit out of me for some reason that I couldn't recall.  Then some shag poster put up a picture of that wraith/banshee and it all came back to me.  Fucker

They were playing Song of the South in theaters back in the 80s when I was a kid. Loved that movie because back then I had no idea what the undertones meant. Still makes me chuckle that there’s a ride based on the cartoon characters.