Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

If somebody sends you a bill, it ain't free.

If you don't have to pay the bill and can't be compelled to pay the bill, sounds pretty free to me my dude. The money has to come from somewhere, and it's not from the people who don't have money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Johnny Sack might want to edify himself on the history of health insurance premiums and the rising cost of healthcare in the United States.  ACA has actually slowed growth rates and, this year, as I posted on another thread, has actually LOWERED premiums:

https://www.thebalance.com/causes-of-rising-healthcare-costs-4064878

My 2019 health premiums went from $265 a month down to $199 for 2 adults. I'm pretty happy with that, and didn't expect it. Dental and Eye stayed the same. 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Dems had all three branches plus a filibuster proof senate.  

And gave us the piece of shit ACA.  Which absolutely butt fucks the middle class

Serious question, what income range would you yourself classify as middle class?

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No, it doesn't. No matter how many times you say it does.

Johnny knows all about the middle class. He is a man of the people. Well, I mean, he is probably a man. And some people live near him. So, close enough. 

Random question: why is a Medicare for all where Medicare is available for a premium (in the insurance sense) not doable? The main advantage Medicare has is its ability to enforce pricing, so extending that to anyone that wants it seems reasonable. It avoids the problems associated with just completely subsidizing everyone's healthcare. And it preserves the ability of private industry to provide competing plans. I would think, based on my own knowledge of the pricing in the industry, that it would put substantial pricing pressure on the market and lower premiums. Plus, Medicare already has like the worst possible pool of insureds, so introducing a healthier population to the mix of insureds could actually help the financial condition of Medicare, right?

5 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Johnny Sack might want to edify himself on the history of health insurance premiums and the rising cost of healthcare in the United States.  ACA has actually slowed growth rates and, this year, as I posted on another thread, has actually LOWERED premiums:

https://www.thebalance.com/causes-of-rising-healthcare-costs-4064878

Now do that for deductibles and out of pocket maximums. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Johnny knows all about the middle class. He is a man of the people. Well, I mean, he is probably a man. And some people live near him. So, close enough. 

Random question: why is a Medicare for all where Medicare is available for a premium (in the insurance sense) not doable? The main advantage Medicare has is its ability to enforce pricing, so extending that to anyone that wants it seems reasonable. It avoids the problems associated with just completely subsidizing everyone's healthcare. And it preserves the ability of private industry to provide competing plans. I would think, based on my own knowledge of the pricing in the industry, that it would put substantial pricing pressure on the market and lower premiums. Plus, Medicare already has like the worst possible pool of insureds, so introducing a healthier population to the mix of insureds could actually help the financial condition of Medicare, right?

I have never heard the description of "Medicare for all" being the option to sell Medicare as insurance.

Just now, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The fact that it "sounds pretty free to me, my dude" doesn't make it free. It only means that you're wrong.  

Let me be more precise - if the people receiving the service aren't paying for it, say like folks without insurance going to an ER and not paying the bill because they're broke, then that service is effectively free to that person. It's not a free lunch, and everyone with money to spend else ends up paying for it. It's a shittier, less efficient version of insurance and socialized healthcare.

Just now, troph said:

Lines in lakeway ... def looked mixed, and not surprisingly more of a Cruz crowd. I suspect high enthusiasm and fear factors in play. Who this favors I dunno.

i thought that too in Bee Cave but as we were walking out an older well-dressed couple made their way to their car in front of us. I told my wife that it was unfortunate that the older couple's vote probably canceled ours out. I started nodding my head as the older couple approached an S series Mercedes sedan. As the older gentleman opened his door, i saw he had a BETO sticker. and then I saw BETO stickers all across his bumper and on his passenger door. He caught me looking, smiled, and gave me a thumbs up. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

It's amazing how Republicans think it's totally normal to wish for any politicians who don't agree with them to be locked up in a prison.  

They really should just move to some place like Russia or China where they'd feel much more at home.

• Like 1

Just called Cruz's Senate office to ask what his position is on locking people up without due process and the person on the phone first said they can't comment on comments by a candidate while campaigning. When I pushed them asking generally what his stance is on due process as a legislator, she said that he made that clear during the kavanaugh hearings. Fucking astounding.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, relapse98 said:

I'm waiting on the IRS to pull his tax exempt. Also, he can start paying SS.

I find that prayer disgusting too. But he can say that sort of thing out of the pulpit.

Also, unless he opted out by claiming he had a religious objection to taking govt funds, he pays SS. I’m sure some clergy have opted out under false pretenses, but none I know of. And, actually, they pay double-SECA, not FICA.

21 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

What was it back in 2010?

What is the point? Healthcare costs have been very high for decades, both before and after 2010.

I assume most on here have never been on the ACA since  we have college degrees and thus our healthcare is through our employers.