Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

12 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

New Beto ad I just saw for the first time. It’s just him in a pretty close shot addressing the attack ads against him. I don’t know if this is the right ad but I love the overall strategy. Address the ads directly but stay positive and continue to get your message out.

Beto filmed the ad during a Facebook live video at the time he was originally scheduled to debate ted.  Basically free formed 3 takes to get the timing right.  I imagine many other candidates will have a script and test it with focus groups before releasing it.   He looks to film it within a few minutes and then release it. 

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This works if you assume all women are idiots and incapable of using basic logic. 

Or that they will believe anything if it’s man’s word vs woman’s word. Kind of like how they treat minorities. Trying to protect them from themselves. 

Everywoman I talk to thinks it complete bullshit even though they hate Trump and vote Democrat. They are embarrassed by their reps

i'm assuming these are the type of "women" you know...

Edited by achooloco
  • Fuck You 1

Sorry this might be a dumb question, but are they registering people to vote during those Beto rallies on college campuses?

It would probably help. I bet a lot of those kids aren’t registered. A good rule of thumb for democrats is “the higher the turnout, the better.”

16 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Sorry this might be a dumb question, but are they registering people to vote during those Beto rallies on college campuses?

It would probably help. I bet a lot of those kids aren’t registered. A good rule of thumb for democrats is “the higher the turnout, the better.”

Yes.   They have trained and put in the field a lot of volunteer voting registrars.   I bet they had 30 there at Rudder.   Most of the block walker groups have a registrar close by if needed.

Watch the Willie video, they had tables set up all over and blue balloons aloft over each to help people find them.

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

Ted cruise is what baseballs thinks about when it doesn’t want to cum 

I’m not a fan of bill maher but that’s a good lesson that many democrats don’t understand.  Nothing wrong with yelling (not in restaurants) or protesting but if you’re not voting, it’s for nothing.  The rules on the senate makeup is currently setup well for the gop and is not going to change. However there is zero reason the dems don’t own the house by a wide margin.   But the dems tie their own hands by not winning more state legislatures.   

The gop quietly moved forward on the long game while too many dems danced thinking Obama would save them.   And many dems in Texas will most likely repeat that mistake even if Beto wins. It would be a big loss for the gop but possibly only a set back for them in Texas.   Gotta win the small battles if you want win large wars consistently. 

I’m not a fan of bill maher but that’s a good lesson that many democrats don’t understand.  Nothing wrong with yelling (not in restaurants) or protesting but if you’re not voting, it’s for nothing.  The rules on the senate makeup is currently setup well for the gop and is not going to change. However there is zero reason the dems don’t own the house by a wide margin.   But the dems tie their own hands by not winning more state legislatures.   
The gop quietly moved forward on the long game while too many dems danced thinking Obama would save them.   And many dems in Texas will most likely repeat that mistake even if Beto wins. It would be a big loss for the gop but possibly only a set back for them in Texas.   Gotta win the small battles if you want win large wars consistently. 
I'm hopeful. A lot of the reaction to Trump has been to refocus on local community and government. My wife and I are hosting a campaign event for a school board candidate next weekend and organizing a phonebank for Beto in part to connect with local like-minded people. We never would have done those things 2 years ago.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
28 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm hopeful. A lot of the reaction to Trump has been to refocus on local community and government. My wife and I are hosting a campaign event for a school board candidate next weekend and organizing a phonebank for Beto in part to connect with local like-minded people. We never would have done those things 2 years ago.

That’s what is needed for more moderate and liberal causes.  Working on less sexy campaigns like school boards and city councils. 

That’s what is needed for more moderate and liberal causes.  Working on less sexy campaigns like school boards and city councils. 

To put it more directly, you don’t exterminate vermin by only kicking out the adults. You have to get em in their larval form, too. Leadership and building a decent and responsible political class starts at the grass roots.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To put it more directly, you don’t exterminate vermin by only kicking out the adults. You have to get em in their larval form, too. Leadership and building a decent and responsible political class starts at the grass roots.

That's why I'm confident the Republican Party has slit its own throat. They've lost an entire generation.

That's why I'm confident the Republican Party has slit its own throat. They've lost an entire generation.

Let's hope.

Couple thoughts this morning.

Need to push back on the curriculum wars. That's been part of republicans plan too. "Common core? Critical thinking? Fuck that. Have some Jesus." Need to refocus on STEM, critical thinking and bring back civics class.

Need to bring back the ERA movement but expand to protect lbgt. Channel all this energy into something that makes a difference. Everytime a 5-4 decision limits rights, the movement just grows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

That's what I thought after the utter disaster that was the Bush presidency. They'll find new ways to find support among enough of the shitty younger generations to keep going. This idea that the GOP can simply be waited out needs to be viciously bludgeoned to death. It's going to take consistently turning out significantly more voters than they do at all levels for a long time to kill the GOP as a party, and even then the same forces will come back under a different name.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

That's what I thought after the utter disaster that was the Bush presidency. They'll find new ways to find support among enough of the shitty younger generations to keep going. This idea that the GOP can simply be waited out needs to be viciously bludgeoned to death. It's going to take consistently turning out significantly more voters than they do at all levels for a long time to kill the GOP as a party, and even then the same forces will come back under a different name.

This. It’s all about turning out the younger liberals. We will continue to win the war on Twitter and instagram but until these people start showing up in significant numbers, Republicans will continue to win the war at the ballot box, where it counts.

If you ever start thinking that things are going to change, read this. Read it over and over again. Make your friends that care about dem politics read it. It’s nothing earth shattering in the slightest, just a reminder of the monumental amount of work that has to be done in every single election to truly change things.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2018/7/18/17585898/young-voter-turnout-polls-midterms-2018

Let's hope.  
Couple thoughts this morning.

Need to push back on the curriculum wars. That's been part of republicans plan too. "Common core? Critical thinking? Fuck that. Have some Jesus." Need to refocus on STEM, critical thinking and bring back civics class.

Need to bring back the ERA movement but expand to protect lbgt. Channel all this energy into something that makes a difference. Everytime a 5-4 decision limits rights, the movement just grows.

Texas Freedom Network is all over the curriculum wars. They deserve some cash.

The hope from trumpism is that the newly minted activist generation will keep it up - it’s no longer okay to just vote, we have to give our time, money, voices and our vote to the cause. My hope is that paradigm shift becomes a permanent shift in behavior.

6 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

I just saw the attack ad aimed at Beto about the eminent domain thing. Seems a little too inside baseball to make any difference.

It’s an odd attack.  One, the commercials are referencing a plan that never ultimately occurred. Second, Ted Cruz has endorsed trumps border wall.  Won’t that require eminent domain to confiscate land from Americans?     And as far as wealthy people getting rich off the wall, I would assume construction companies are strongly in favor of it for their own profit.   Sounds exactly what Cruz is accusing Beto of doing.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s an odd attack.  One, the commercials are referencing a plan that never ultimately occurred. Second, Ted Cruz has endorsed trumps border wall.  Won’t that require eminent domain to confiscate land from Americans?     And as far as wealthy people getting rich off the wall, I would assume construction companies are strongly in favor of it for their own profit.   Sounds exactly what Cruz is accusing Beto of doing.

i'm sure the Club for Growth is totally against Kelo too

• Like 2

Was out last night wearing my Beto pin as usual, and had people come up to me as usual, wanting to know where I got it, how to get one, blah blah blah.  The sentiment behind the conversations carried a lot more gravitas yesterday.  Especially with the women.  Several of them were crying when they told me that they too supported Beto and that they wanted to get involved in his campaign, and that the last week had been intolerable.  I knew exactly what the deal was with them.  I could see it in their eyes and I know they could see it in mine.  They are galvanized.

But here's my biggest concern:  I am still in shock and disbelief that the Kavanaugh thing has given a bump to the Republicans. I don't know why I'm shocked. You'd think I would have learned by now, but I keep waiting for that one thing that is going to cause them to turn.  I think it has finally sunk in emotionally as well as intellectually that 1/3 of our country would break the law, ignore the constitution, protest the holding of elections - whatever their orange cheetoh god commands.  Because liberals and democrats are worse than Russians, they are worse than Nazis, they are worse than terrorists, they are worse than anyone.  So if we have to keep kids in cages and lie about it and ignore the Supreme court, that's OK.  If we have to keep women down by whatever means to protect our boys, then it's OK.  Kick them out of their jobs if they are a threat to men. Mexicans are all rapists and leeches.  No more Latinos in this country.  Muslims are all terrorists.  Can't be Muslim in the U.S. anymore. Two term limit gonna endanger making America great?  Ignore that rule.  I believe 100% that Trump's minions would support these positions.  And get enough crooked and biased judges and crooked, power-hungry Congress members, and it's not so farfetched that these things could happen.  Not tomorrow or next week or next year, but certainly within a generation, two at the outside. 

Couple these positions with the elimination of the social safety nets, which is the stated goal of many Republicans, and the continued gutting of the public school system, which is already happening, and the possibility that a great many citizens will not be able to afford healthcare, which they are trying like hell to make happen and who knows where we go from there.  I think it's something of a coin toss between a new Facist regime or a new pre-revolution France. And oh yeah, there's the anti-Semitism part.  I told M12 as far back as Trump's campaign that sooner or later it would come around to the Jews because it always does.  Then of course on Friday we got the Trump Soros tweet and the Grassley reinforcement.  Does Trump believe that shit about Soros?  Maybe not, but that's not what matters.  What matters is the neo-Nazis are now ecstatic that the President of the United States has validated one of their narratives about the wealthy left-wing Jews secretly pulling the strings behind the scenes.  Yep, right on schedule. 

OK I kind of got off on a tangent there, but that's how important I think these midterms are.  It's now or never.  Our spare bedroom Beto popup office opens today, and we already have some campaign people here. They are all so young and confident.  I feel very old and tired and jaded.  I've never felt this threatened or helpless before in my entire life.  Maybe some of it is the re-experiencing of what happened to me (it's in the Trump thread if you missed it, I'm not gonna repost it here).  But I think most of it is not fear of the past but fear for the future.  These next 31 days are, I think, going to tell us the direction our country is going to move for at least the next 50 years.  And, like I always say when I go on a rant like this:  I hope to hell I'm wrong.  But to drag out another old tired analogy, we are the frogs in the pot of water that is just starting to warm.  I don't want to be in it when it starts to boil.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Was out last night wearing my Beto pin as usual, and had people come up to me as usual, wanting to know where I got it, how to get one, blah blah blah.  The sentiment behind the conversations carried a lot more gravitas yesterday.  Especially with the women.  Several of them were crying when they told me that they too supported Beto and that they wanted to get involved in his campaign, and that the last week had been intolerable.  I knew exactly what the deal was with them.  I could see it in their eyes and I know they could see it in mine.  They are galvanized.

But here's my biggest concern:  I am still in shock and disbelief that the Kavanaugh thing has given a bump to the Republicans. I don't know why I'm shocked. You'd think I would have learned by now, but I keep waiting for that one thing that is going to cause them to turn.  I think it has finally sunk in emotionally as well as intellectually that 1/3 of our country would break the law, ignore the constitution, protest the holding of elections - whatever their orange cheetoh god commands.  Because liberals and democrats are worse than Russians, they are worse than Nazis, they are worse than terrorists, they are worse than anyone.  So if we have to keep kids in cages and lie about it and ignore the Supreme court, that's OK.  If we have to keep women down by whatever means to protect our boys, then it's OK.  Kick them out of their jobs if they are a threat to men. Mexicans are all rapists and leeches.  No more Latinos in this country.  Muslims are all terrorists.  Can't be Muslim in the U.S. anymore. Two term limit gonna endanger making America great?  Ignore that rule.  I believe 100% that Trump's minions would support these positions.  And get enough crooked and biased judges and crooked, power-hungry Congress members, and it's not so farfetched that these things could happen.  Not tomorrow or next week or next year, but certainly within a generation, two at the outside. 

Couple these positions with the elimination of the social safety nets, which is the stated goal of many Republicans, and the continued gutting of the public school system, which is already happening, and the possibility that a great many citizens will not be able to afford healthcare, which they are trying like hell to make happen and who knows where we go from there.  I think it's something of a coin toss between a new Facist regime or a new pre-revolution France. And oh yeah, there's the anti-Semitism part.  I told M12 as far back as Trump's campaign that sooner or later it would come around to the Jews because it always does.  Then of course on Friday we got the Trump Soros tweet and the Grassley reinforcement.  Does Trump believe that shit about Soros?  Maybe not, but that's not what matters.  What matters is the neo-Nazis are now ecstatic that the President of the United States has validated one of their narratives about the wealthy left-wing Jews secretly pulling the strings behind the scenes.  Yep, right on schedule. 

OK I kind of got off on a tangent there, but that's how important I think these midterms are.  It's now or never.  Our spare bedroom Beto popup office opens today, and we already have some campaign people here. They are all so young and confident.  I feel very old and tired and jaded.  I've never felt this threatened or helpless before in my entire life.  Maybe some of it is the re-experiencing of what happened to me (it's in the Trump thread if you missed it, I'm not gonna repost it here).  But I think most of it is not fear of the past but fear for the future.  These next 31 days are, I think, going to tell us the direction our country is going to move for at least the next 50 years.  And, like I always say when I go on a rant like this:  I hope to hell I'm wrong.  But to drag out another old tired analogy, we are the frogs in the pot of water that is just starting to warm.  I don't want to be in it when it starts to boil.

AbleCleanAngwantibo-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Heh yeah I get it, you guyssssssssssss.................

I'm an anti-Republican right now.  I have two daughters and a wife and I can't fathom how any woman isn't alarmed by the way these guys operate.  But I think we need to all just accept that, quit talking about the psychology or the harm and just get try to get people out to vote. I think the folks who vote Republican feed off liberal tears, and liberal tears to them mean any kind of analysis which takes the feelings of women or minorities into consideration.

So let's stop feeding the beast.  Let's target the Trumpkin Republicans and attack their ideas without making it about how we feel.  That just motivates them.

• Like 5

And I'm thinking about this because yesterday I listened to this episode of waking up.  Starts out looking back at the movie Religulous and moves into some discussion about how the far left is fucking up the chances for the left to succeed.  One of the most basic points -- do you lefties ever think about how your actions piss off people?  They are cherry picking issues, but make some good, and to me obvious and practical, points.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/139-sacred-profane/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/senate-races-gop-up-in-texas-tennessee-dems-up-in-arizona-new-jersey-cbs-news-poll/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7b&linkId=57839880

New CBS/YouGov poll has Cruz up 50-44. Conducted over Oct 2-5. Online poll of registered voters. Havent duf into the numbers. Still close. Would like to see what things look like in a week.

I feel you Mac’s Better Half.

I had a long talk with my 16 year old daughter this week and I had to pretend to be much more optimistic than I really feel because I don’t want her to be bitter and jaded and have a default position of hating men before she’s even an adult.

It’s been a very gross week and I sincerely hope the young people turn out and vote.

Us older liberals are depending on them. All their retweets and viral videos are cool and all but they don’t mean shit if they stay home on Election Day.

If I were to optimistically cherry pick notions of what is happening, I would hope that 6 points is the crest of trumpist indignation at the Kavanaugh clusterfuck (confirmation, not Devil’s Triangle).
Yeah, my hope too. We'll see. I'd also like to see more analysis on how effective Beto can be at expanding the voting base. All these registration and GOTV efforts have to be good for something right?