Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

10 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/senate-races-gop-up-in-texas-tennessee-dems-up-in-arizona-new-jersey-cbs-news-poll/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7b&linkId=57839880

New CBS/YouGov poll has Cruz up 50-44. Conducted over Oct 2-5. Online poll of registered voters. Havent duf into the numbers. Still close. Would like to see what things look like in a week.

In 2012 Cruz won against Sadler in 56-40.  It seems hard to believe that Beto has only converted a few percent to vote for him. 

Wearing my Beto shirt at IND airport...

- got a thumbs up from an older couple from SA

- ran into another Texan with another veto shirt 

- got a “we are rooting for him!” comment from an older lady who lived in nawf carolina

- got a “cool shirt!” from a dad walking with his son.

all in the span of 2 hours 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s remarkable being tone deaf AF and clueless is now a legitimate political strategy in today’s GOP

As deranged as it is, the Republicans are better at supporting Trump than the Democrats were at supporting Obama. If Dems had been this aligned with Obama, we might have had real healthcare reform, enough to carry goodwill for another Dem President, not Hillary, in nov. 2016.

Edited by pacman

On beto v cruz, i don't see where yhe perceived improvement is. You want to replace somebody who wants to be a career politician with somebody else who wants to be a career politician. I will vote beto because i always tend to vote against incumbents but i don't foresee being impressed by beto's actions if elected. 

7 minutes ago, pacman said:

On beto v cruz, i don't see where yhe perceived improvement is. You want to replace somebody who wants to be a career politician with somebody else who wants to be a career politician. I will vote beto because i always tend to vote against incumbents but i don't foresee being impressed by beto's actions if elected. 

I think the difference is one wants to be a public servant, the other wants world domination. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pacman said:

Honest question. How closely have you followed this race? One is a campaign of ideas and positivity. The other is hateful lies to scare olds into voting. I can’t fathom viewing these two candidates as similar in any way.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, pacman said:

the difference is how they want to be career politicians

22 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

You obviously haven't been paying attention.

29 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Honest question. How closely have you followed this race? One is a campaign of ideas and positivity. The other is hateful lies to scare olds into voting. I can’t fathom viewing these two candidates as similar in any way.

My pessimism shows.

Absolutely agree the talk is different, that's clear. But, politicians always talk and rarely follow through.

You are right, cruz attack ads are reason enough for a beto vote. I failed to consider that in my post. Good point.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

I have no delusion that Beto is going to take office (well, I don't think he will actually win, but if he did) and then all of a sudden there's legalized pot, reformed healthcare, teachers who can afford to live in the districts they teach in, and a worker visa program that reflects the reality of the border.  In the alternate non doomed existence in which he wins the election, he may take us closer in that direction than where we currently are (which is called progress).  But he's an easy vote over Cruz because, while Beto champions basic human decency and real American values, Cruz stands for everything that is awful about where we are right now.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RayDog said:

Beto has promised to limit himself to two terms and he does not take PAC money. That is a big difference without even getting into policies.

Love the self-imposed term limit promise.  Not to nitpick, but Beto does take a decent amount of PAC money.  It’s not corporate PAC $ though, which is what’s most important, IMO.

2 hours ago, scottsins said:

Love the self-imposed term limit promise.  Not to nitpick, but Beto does take a decent amount of PAC money.  It’s not corporate PAC $ though, which is what’s most important, IMO.

What do you mean by decent amount? Per opensecrets he has taken less than $55000 as of the last quarter and most of that was from other candidate's election pacs.

He's done some joint fundraising be with End Citizens United too. That might be some of it. There's a principled basis for what he's taken and what he hasn't. It's a world's difference from most politicians and will allow him to focus more on his constituents and not special interest PACs who he has to pay back. Just "No PACs except for this one that is focused on ending PACs" doesn't have as good of a ring to it. I think everyone knows what he means by PACs.

10 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

He's done some joint fundraising be with End Citizens United too. That might be some of it. There's a principled basis for what he's taken and what he hasn't. It's a world's difference from most politicians and will allow him to focus more on his constituents and not special interest PACs who he has to pay back. Just "No PACs except for this one that is focused on ending PACs" doesn't have as good of a ring to it. I think everyone knows what he means by PACs.

That is still not a "decent amount."

I will add that it is nice that after Cruz pulled his bullshit over Jstreet that opensecrets added a column for pac contributions from groups like that. In Beto's case that column is all zeros.

Edited by RayDog

2 hours ago, RayDog said:

What do you mean by decent amount? Per opensecrets he has taken less than $55000 as of the last quarter and most of that was from other candidate's election pacs.

You are correct.  I should have said “non-zero amount”.  It’s  tiny %.  Tiny enough, that if it were up to me, he would just give it all back or whatever.  As you noted earlier regarding J Street, Cruz will take any insignifican shit like this and run attacks on it. 

ETA, that in the big picture, it’s not a big deal, but I just have little, if any faith in the electorate to see through that shit.

Edited by scottsins

48 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Bottom continues to fall out of the No bid on Cruz reelection on predicit. 

Yep.  I needed the Kavanaugh shares to grade and redeem about it 3 days earlier than they did, because my plan was always to take off of those earnings and dump them on Cruz’ re-election “Yes” shares.  Price ticked up quite a bit in that span.  I still put in a somewhat lowball offer.  If I don’t get a bite soon, Plan B is to just go all in on “Trump will be the 2020 GOP nomineee”.  It was around or just under $.70 last I checked.

TEXAS

Record number of Texans registered to vote before Oct. 9 deadline, but there's still time to apply

In Texas as of Monday, 15,698,626 people are registered to vote in this year’s midterm elections — a new record, according to the secretary of state’s office.
But many people who sent in their applications to register aren’t seeing it reflected in the state’s “Am I Registered?” database.
The state says not to worry — as long as you complete, sign and postmark your application by Tuesday, you will be registered to vote, said Sam Taylor, communications director for the secretary of state. You should receive your voter registration certificate in the mail within 30 days.

So I dropped my wife and my voter registration cards in the mail a few weeks ago at the exact same time. She received her registration card. I did not and per votetexas.gov, I am not registered in my current county. If I drop another registration form in the mail tomorrow, which I understand is the deadline, is that sufficient to be registered for this election?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

being a nervous guy, though, I would consider going to the tax office and registering at the counter or with any of the numerous people camped outside the door waiting to help you out.  In Travis, that is at 5501 Airport.  East side of the building (or north?  closer to 35 side).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

So I dropped my wife and my voter registration cards in the mail a few weeks ago at the exact same time. She received her registration card. I did not and per votetexas.gov, I am not registered in my current county. If I drop another registration form in the mail tomorrow, which I understand is the deadline, is that sufficient to be registered for this election?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Neither my roommate or myself have gotten our updated cards after moving and changing our info two months ago. My info is correct online so I am not sure that it matters but it still worries me. Seems like a lot of people have such issues.