Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

But we always knew Cruz was going to do nothing but play identity politics and play to the lowest common denominator. And deploy Russian bots. I think the answer is more pointed campaigning and ads that aren’t the typical ominous music/voice over and distorted images attacks but rather going negative on Cruz on the clampdown and true to form tip.

That is, Beto being Beto but playing more offense than defense.

It’s what he’s doing, and it’s worked before and will wrk again. Whoever appeals to the lowest common denominator will win.

I’d like to see Beto break that pattern. But I’m not betting on it. Bet on stupid and cruel - they have the numbers.

i still dont think any of the polling outlets have a grasp on how many young people are going to vote this year. it might not be enough to match all the ass backwards bigots in the state but it's going to be a massive number. 

Let’s hope. But we say this every cycle in this state.

11 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Let’s hope. But we say this every cycle in this state.

Why don't we vote in bigger numbers? That's the conundrum. We all saw the chart. Our participation rate is abysmal. What does it take to rouse another ten percent? I mean that's doable right? Ten percent added would be a good start.

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I think it’s fairly clear that the thing people talk about every time that never happens needs to happen this time for Beto to win. The bad news is that it has never happened. The good news is that this time, like all the other times, it is different.

One thing that’s different, a whole lot of Millenials are going to vote just so they can take that selfie with the “I Voted” sticker. It’ll be The in thing to do, and they will do it in droves.  Never underestimate their ability to make it about themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

Hopefully they do. About to make a comment about millennials being older than you think they are, but I guess they (we) range from 22-36 at this point.

It’ll be trending on twitter and Instagram that day. 

Assuming they remembered to register to vote. 

Jesus, I'm not listening to 42 minutes of that.

BTW, how can I get some large Beto signs? All the website has is yard signs. I own property at a couple of intersections where they would fit nicely. Do they have those at the pop up offices?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RPM said:

Jesus, I'm not listening to 42 minutes of that.

BTW, how can I get some large Beto signs? All the website has is yard signs. I own property at a couple of intersections where they would fit nicely. Do they have those at the pop up offices?

I’ll ask the other attorney in my office.  We just got a GIANT sign yesterday.  It’s about 6 feet wide, at least.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

There was a redevelopment plan. It involved eminent domain. Some people got upset. It didn’t go through, and that was that.

OK. So the deal didn't go through yet per the story Beto was involved in some pretty shady dealings and votes that would negatively affect the poor residents in the area and clearly benefit a group of wealth developers that includes his FIL. 

You're good with that?  Beto's image lustrous as ever?

6 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

The cynic in me says that even if Beto comes up short he still is drawing a shit ton of attention from the opposition. The fact that it's necessary to pump dollars in the race is a plus. It was always a longshot. I don't think Beto went into this thinking he was going to ride a wave of discontent into office. I would say he's done everything a candidate can do in Texas to get his name and ideas before the public. He's engaged and involved. 

That still might not be enough. Is it going to break the hearts and shutter the minds of the volunteers? I don't know. He's made a helluva effort. Is he fighting so someone else gets a gig in another state or he wins? I don't think he thinks about it. I think he wants to fucking win and is doing what he can within the parameters he set. I don't know if he would stop a negative campaign but I doubt he would go that route himself. That's not his style.

Mostly riffing. Going to send him some more dollars. 

In it to win it. 

Again, why do any of you think spending more money on a Cruz campaign will mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things?  Political parties have no problem spending as much money as they want.  

6 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

i still dont think any of the polling outlets have a grasp on how many young people are going to vote this year. it might not be enough to match all the ass backwards bigots in the state but it's going to be a massive number. 

Just like the last time, and the time before that, and the time before that, and the time before that...

Young people don't vote - it requires at least a tiny amount of effort.  

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Again, why do any of you think spending more money on a Cruz campaign will mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things?  Political parties have no problem spending as much money as they want.  

Not sure if serious. Republicans have already made the choice to stop supporting certain candidates to divert money to others. If we force them to send money to Cruz, then more people get cut off elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Not sure if serious. Republicans have already made the choice to stop supporting certain candidates to divert money to others. If we force them to send money to Cruz, then more people get cut off elsewhere. 

Maybe they stopped supporting those candidates because they were a lost cause?  I don’t know because I have no idea which campaigns they decided to divert funds from.  But I do believe any campaign on either side that has a decent enough chance of winning won’t hurt for money.

Political campaigns and football coaches salaries never hurt for money.  Schools, roads, health care... different story.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

OK. So the deal didn't go through yet per the story Beto was involved in some pretty shady dealings and votes that would negatively affect the poor residents in the area and clearly benefit a group of wealth developers that includes his FIL. 

@deadshank , I happen to have some experience in the oversight of large scale zoning and redevelopment cases , and they have some common characteristics.

1) They attract a broad range of well connected long time residents and entrepreneurs. Since this is also the population that produces most zoning commissioners, council members and civic leaders, the people driving big plans, the people who oppose them and those who approve them or not usually know each other, at least in passing. So these fights are pretty much intramurals and the people involved have axes to grind going back decades.

2) Long time residents who oppose the plans view support for massive rezoning and redevelopment of blighted areas with suspicion and view the connections above as evidence of corruption. 

I see the classic pattern in the Segundo Barrio: competing factions of progressive do-gooders: the re-builders who want to grow the tax base and improve an area to the benefit of a neglected population and the preservationist coalition who oppose change for wide range of reasons including the very reasonable fear of displacement. The re-builders are invariably cast as evil developers and corrupt profiteers. The preservationists are cast  as a coalition of obstructionists. That's just how it always works. 

But I digress. Here's the Beto paragraph. Show your work on these three parts:

1) What was "shady"?

2) How were the poor have been negatively impacted by his actions and

3) How was his FIL clearly benefited?

Sanders happens to be the father-in-law of first-term Councilman O’Rourke. To avoid creating a conflict of interest for his son-in-law, Sanders announced he intended to donate any profits he made from the redevelopment to charity. Plan opponents like Blaugrund remain skeptical, saying they haven’t seen the pledge in writing. O’Rourke, meanwhile, has participated in several key council votes, including the critical decision last fall to incorporate the redevelopment project into the city’s comprehensive plan. O’Rourke, who is running for reelection, adamantly denies any conflict of interest despite the fact that his wife, his mother, his father-in-law, and even O’Rourke himself were at one time all members of the PDNG. “My relationship with Bill does not present a conflict, as he cannot profit from this plan, nor can I, nor can any member of my family,” O’Rourke wrote in an e-mail.

BY the way - it might also interest you to know that O'Rourke actually voted to BAN the use of eminent domain as part of El Plan almost a year before the story you linked was published.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Eastwood said:

My wife registered to vote for the first time ever specifically to vote out the Rs. Mostly Trump inspired. She knows that the more control the D's have, the more likely that Trump is out. She isn't the only one in our circle who wasn't politically active until now. There is a lot of shock and disgust amongst the silent moderates that the electorate actually voted Trump in and have realized that the politics of this country have gotten out of hand.

I hope you encourage her and her circle to participate in the next cycle at primary time when there is real choice so we don't end up with more shit sandwich vs. douchebag choices in the general election (for POTUS).

Edited by bernorange

I think it will be demoralizing if he loses and all this excitement about gotv and such will be mostly for nothing. Young people are awful and seeing the big picture and thinking long term. If he loses they will think that if the most dynamic candidate in decades can’t win here then no democrat ever will and it will be decades before they get this involved again. 

But I’m generally pessimistic about certain things and I hope like hell I’m wrong or that this is all a moot point. 

19 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I think it will be demoralizing if he loses and all this excitement about gotv and such will be mostly for nothing. Young people are awful and seeing the big picture and thinking long term. If he loses they will think that if the most dynamic candidate in decades can’t win here then no democrat ever will and it will be decades before they get this involved again. 

But I’m generally pessimistic about certain things and I hope like hell I’m wrong or that this is all a moot point. 

Hence why Beto is strongly asking for volunteers to start reaching out to anyone that bought a T-shirt, yard or signed up anywhere.   

I hope you encourage her and her circle to participate in the next cycle at primary time when there is real choice so we don't end up with more shit sandwich vs. douchebag choices in the general election (for POTUS).
Yeah, about those Democratic primaries...

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

@deadshank , I happen to have some experience in the oversight of large scale zoning and redevelopment cases , and they have some common characteristics.

1) They attract a broad range of well connected long time residents and entrepreneurs. Since this is also the population that produces most zoning commissioners, council members and civic leaders, the people driving big plans, the people who oppose them and those who approve them or not usually know each other, at least in passing. So these fights are pretty much intramurals and the people involved have axes to grind going back decades.

2) Long time residents who oppose the plans view support for massive rezoning and redevelopment of blighted areas with suspicion and view the connections above as evidence of corruption. 

I see the classic pattern in the Segundo Barrio: competing factions of progressive do-gooders: the re-builders who want to grow the tax base and improve an area to the benefit of a neglected population and the preservationist coalition who oppose change for wide range of reasons including the very reasonable fear of displacement. The re-builders are invariably cast as evil developers and corrupt profiteers. The preservationists are cast  as a coalition of obstructionists. That's just how it always works. 

But I digress. Here's the Beto paragraph. Show your work on these three parts:

1) What was "shady"?

2) How were the poor have been negatively impacted by his actions and

3) How was his FIL clearly benefited?

BY the way - it might also interest you to know that O'Rourke actually voted to BAN the use of eminent domain as part of El Plan almost a year before the story you linked was published.

Forget it, Bozo. He’s just asking questions

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

i'm in this place as well. i think for the...movement? or whatever the fuck it is, beto needs to win, or all this is just a fart in the wind.

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

Governments exercise eminent domain all the time. And it always benefits one group of people to the detriment of another. This is a stupid argument.

Edited by Dahobbs

It's interesting to see the gender breakout of donors to these two candidates.

Cruz has 2 men donating for every 1 woman, and Beto has more women contributing than men.  cruz donor demographics  O'Rourke donor demographics

While Beto has more women than men, the men usually donate more, which shows more money coming from men than women.   But there are more women, they just donate less.

Like so many have stated in this thread of wives, daughters, mothers, female friends getting energized to vote,  I am sure this is part of what has TC running scared.  This unknown of previously inactive voters showing to not only be awake, but donating, wearing tees, getting active  has to be frightening to them.  While the red side can only push their base to the polls, it is limited in size.   On the other hand, the blue side has a lot of potential for growth.  That scares the TC campaign and energizes many of us.

That website https://www.opensecrets.org/ is a interesting site.   A lot of it is way over my head, so if anyone has a link to a documentary or article that can explain PACs., superPACs, 527s and the like to me, I would appreciate it. 

I found that site when I searched for a group called Community Health Counsel PAC.  Got a call from them this morning for a donation, something about influencing legislation for breast cancer.  These type of groups never have a website you can go to, they want to send you a envelope and have you send back a check, or do it by card over the phone.   I just keep asking for a website, then i got the spew about CHCPAC.   No website, but it took me to OpenSecrets. 

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but they raised $772,000, but spent $694,000 on fundraising.  CHCPAC summary

I could be wrong, but that site is pretty interesting anyway for rummaging through.

Well to keep things honest, at least in my part of Lake Highlands, the Cruz signs have caught up to the Beto signs.  I do think the Republicans are being empowered by the ugliness of the Ford/Kavanaugh hearings and just the general Soros bullshit.  I'm not counting on the hope and change message of Beto and some of the other Dems in my district overcoming the vileness this cycle. 

39 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Governments exercise eminent domain all the time. And it always benefits one group of people to the detriment of another. This is a stupid argument.

Even more stupid since in this instance not only did the plan not move forward but the person they are attacking for their involvement in an eminent domain case actually voted to ban the use of eminent domain.  So  yes, governments do exercise it all the time, but not this time.

• Like 1

I buy the Kavanaugh boost from Rs. It's a big story andv it could get some folks on the sidelines that otherwise may have been complacent. Nothing motivates them like feeling like victims, R politicians and media know this and are pushing that narrative accordingly.

I also buy that the American electorate has an incredibly short memory. Without a doubt, the most despicable thing that has happened this year is the family separation policy and its fallout, which still lingers, but both sides have completely moved on. If Kavanaugh is confirmed in a week or two as expected, I'm not sure how much that moves the needle. Not to mention a month is an eternity for Trump and his R minions to do something dumb and/ or reprehensible to take us back to where we were two weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I buy the Kavanaugh boost from Rs. It's a big story andv it could get some folks on the sidelines that otherwise may have been complacent. Nothing motivates them like feeling like victims, R politicians and media know this and are pushing that narrative accordingly.

I also buy that the American electorate has an incredibly short memory. Without a doubt, the most despicable thing that has happened this year is the family separation policy and its fallout, which still lingers, but both sides have completely moved on. If Kavanaugh is confirmed in a week or two as expected, I'm not sure how much that moves the needle. Not to mention a month is an eternity for Trump and his R minions to do something dumb and/ or reprehensible to take us back to where we were two weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As someone pointed out, this is when the Access Hollywood tape dropped in 2016.

Then there was about what felt like 18 months until Election Day.

34 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Saw a Ted sign at keonig and guadalupe today. If its still there Ill rip it out on my way home from work.

Not a big believer in free speech, eh?

Regardless of how someone feels about a candidate, the election process or the signs themselves, removing them for any purpose without permission is still against the law unless they are on that person’s property. In Texas, if you get caught vandalizing a sign, you could be charged with criminal mischief. And if you get caught stealing one? Well, you could end up paying up to $500 in fines.

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/warning-on-election-signs-being-stolen-and-defaced/

26 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Like i was really going to stop my car on keonig in rush hour to steal that sign, piss on it, then set it on fire.

Gimme a break..

Don't steal or vandalize it. Take it out of the ground and lay it down so there is no harm

Edited by happyfunball