Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

On 10/7/2018 at 9:43 PM, Bama Chick said:

Or one wants to serve the people of Texas and the other wants use the people of Texas to further his presidential ambitions.

That’s an interesting take.  I’m sure Beto has no national aspirations.  That’s why he does every national TV appearance he can.   🙄 

4 hours ago, GRHorn said:

That’s an interesting take.  I’m sure Beto has no national aspirations.  That’s why he does every national TV appearance he can.   🙄 

Trying to get as much exposure as possible when you're trying to unseat an incumbent senator in a hilariously gerrymandered red state, fuck him right?

Posts like this are why people call you a fucking idiot sometimes.

• Like 3

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

Trying to get as much exposure as possible when you're trying to unseat an incumbent senator in a hilariously gerrymandered red state, fuck him right?

What does gerrymandering have to do with a statewide election?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Cruz is ahead, from 4-10 points as some of the polls show, he would be stupid to debate.   He just needs election day to get here as soon as possible.   And Beto doesn't want attack ads, so Cruz is in the clear.

Yep..... their internals must be telling them they have the margin and just need to run out the clock.  Now, their internals could be wrong, but they probably feel good with some of the noise they made with the attack ads and any bump (maybe none) from the Kavanaugh situation.  Gotta hope for some bad internal polling for them and a massive closing wave for Beto, but it's looking like that 2-5 margin win for Cruz most folks have been predicting the last couple of months.

3 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

Down to a 6-pt lead in this NYT polling thingy. They're still not quite to the 250 minimum but getting there.

From my memory, there were showing that 18-29 had a success rate of 1 in 155 last night.  Now it's down to 1 in 132.   you would think that would help Beto.

8 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Wonder if not going neg has hurt Beto?  Seems like every other commercial is an attack ad on Beto. 

This is a tough one. Cruz’s neg ads have helped energize his base, and yet Beto wants to stay positive to not offend that base in hopes they will vote for him. At some point I feel you have to say “go for it!”  

Just checked back at that NYTimes poll, and it showed Cruz at 52% and Beto at 45%. The thing is: I glanced at the map of respondents. From from Laredo down through the LRG Valley to the coast, it had 6 red dots and 5 blue (as best as I could count). Not only is that a very small proportion of that region's overall population compared to the state (11 dots out of 415, or only 2.7% of the sampled universe), it in no way reflects past voting patterns that we see in South Texas.

Edited by bolverk

I know the youths don't vote but 6% is absolutely undersampling them and there is not a chance in hell Cruz wins that demo (up 51-49 in this poll), or really even comes close. I'm not saying we're going to see some reat awakening but there is gonna be a spike and it isn't gonna be favorable for Cruz. This is a good poll so I am not going to just throw out their result, and I'm sure that'll rectify itself as they get more answers, but worth noting. Looks like it'll end up somewhere from Cruz +4 to Cruz +8 which is about what one would expect.

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

This is a tough one. Cruz’s neg ads have helped energize his base, and yet Beto wants to stay positive to not offend that base in hopes they will vote for him. At some point I feel you have to say “go for it!”  

beto needs surrogates to attack the Cuban-Canadian pussy, he shouldn't do it himself

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

beto needs surrogates to attack the Cuban-Canadian pussy, he shouldn't do it himself

If only Molly Ivins or Ann were around...we need some sharp-tongued Texas women with an attitude around here. Hell, Beto should enlist Bama Chick to act as his surrogate.

24 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I know the youths don't vote but 6% is absolutely undersampling them and there is not a chance in hell Cruz wins that demo (up 51-49 in this poll), or really even comes close. I'm not saying we're going to see some reat awakening but there is gonna be a spike and it isn't gonna be favorable for Cruz. This is a good poll so I am not going to just throw out their result, and I'm sure that'll rectify itself as they get more answers, but worth noting. Looks like it'll end up somewhere from Cruz +4 to Cruz +8 which is about what one would expect.

The pollsters goal for that demographic was 9%. Hopefully it will be even higher with Betos GOTV.

11 hours ago, M12BH said:

I am not gruntled.  Maybe it's the eternal pessimist in me.  But like Troph, this Kavanaugh thing has me rattled.  I mean, how in the blue hell could that cluster have COST the Democrats?

No don't answer that.  I already know. I see it every day.  It's kind of not fun walking around and knowing that statistically, 1/3 of everyone I see would consider me a liar, a con, a freak, a Soros shil, a loony, a liberal propagandist operative, and a fraud if I told my story.  Anyway we'll find out in a few weeks.  Operation M12/M12BH pop-up office is in full swing over here.  

Perceived LACK of fairness?

just got canvassed by Beto's campaign. we were both enthusiastic 🙂 but we're in central austin...told him i hoped his counterparts were doing the same in south texas!

he said they are, and what the campaign is saying is that if he can pull off a win, it's literally going to be by a few thousand votes.

don't give up, vote!

5 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Gerrymandering has nothing to do with a state-wide election.  There may be other "built in" factors but gerrymandering ain't one.

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

just got canvassed by Beto's campaign. we were both enthusiastic 🙂 but we're in central austin...told him i hoped his counterparts were doing the same in south texas!

he said they are, and what the campaign is saying is that if he can pull off a win, it's literally going to be by a few thousand votes.

don't give up, vote!

I’m sure that whether Betos campaign thinks it’s down by 10, up by 10 or anything in between, they will tell their supporters to act as if they are down by a thousand votes and every call or knock on a door can make the difference.  Maybe it will.  

Not completely germane, but reminded of the ground campaign canvassing. 
A young, white, male, nerdy/hipster looking dude rang my doorbell the other night and was canvassing for a guy named Colin Allred. I'd never heard of the guy, didn't know him from Adam, and no idea if he was R or D, but the guy basically said "canvassing for Colin Allred, have you heard of him?" I said no, he said oh okay, well you can look him up and i hope you vote for him bye.
lol, either he figured he needed to move on because I had no idea who his guy was and I was a waste of space or he was lazy/shy.

Colin is a good guy and worthy of your vote. He’s worth a google.

1 hour ago, NameWithHeld said:

Gerrymandering has nothing to do with a state-wide election.  There may be other "built in" factors but gerrymandering ain't one.

Some believe Republican gerrymandering discourages potential Democratic voters from going to the polls. 

2 Beto signs on my street of ~40 houses.  It’s a Hispanic family (Honduran iirc) and an AA family. Not the only Hispanic or AA family on the street, but those 2 are. Only 1 Cruz sign.  

Lots of folks in 60’s though, would guess most are red.  I know the few under 40 neighbors I have are all straight ticket R.  Most are O&G and attorneys. Fort Bend. 

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

A young, white, male, nerdy/hipster looking dude rang my doorbell the other night and was canvassing for a guy named Colin Allred. I'd never heard of the guy, didn't know him from Adam, and no idea if he was R or D, but the guy basically said "canvassing for Colin Allred, have you heard of him?" I said no, he said oh okay, well you can look him up and i hope you vote for him bye.

lol, either he figured he needed to move on because I had no idea who his guy was and I was a waste of space or he was lazy/shy.

That's what flyers are for. I went knocking for Sri Kulkarni for TX-22 on Sunday and everyone at least took a flyer, even if they said they weren't voting. 

Three weeks ago I canvassed for Beto and they did pins and stickers but told me to go easy on the flyers because they're expensive. You fuckers better keep donating!

Good story, though. I've only gone canvassing these two times in my whole life and I can at least say I'm better than this Allred guy. Some people are "in a hurry" but even the non-voters will talk to you if you pry a little. The anti-PAC money thing is a really good icebreaker.

Seriously, though. There are a ton of first time door-knockers like myself walking around out there.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

Some believe Republican gerrymandering discourages potential Democratic voters from going to the polls. 

That's one of the things I've found it is good to mention.  People don't realize that this is just straight up popular vote.  "I don't need to vote, he'll win Austin".  Nah, it's this crazy thing where your vote matters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

That's what flyers are for. I went knocking for Sri Kulkarni for TX-22 on Sunday and everyone at least took a flyer, even if they said they weren't voting. 

Three weeks ago I canvassed for Beto and they did pins and stickers but told me to go easy on the flyers because they're expensive. You fuckers better keep donating!

Good story, though. I've only gone canvassing these two times in my whole life and I can at least say I'm better than this Allred guy. Some people are "in a hurry" but even the non-voters will talk to you if you pry a little. The anti-PAC money thing is a really good icebreaker.

Seriously, though. There are a ton of first time door-knockers like myself walking around out there.

Yea and to note. Real life isn't the internet. If you knock on my door you can be campaigning for the biggest asshole or opposite end of my spectrum and I'm going to be kind and offer you a bottle of water and try and give you a minute or two of attention and respect. 

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Ha.  I've posed with Colin for a few shots for the campaign.   He's a good guy.  Sessions has been in that seat for ever and fuck him and his lazy ass entitled approach to this seat. Lot of really enthusiastic youngsters are always hanging out at his campaign headquarters in Richardson.  Colin is a pretty softspoken guy.  He'd be nice addition to the Texas contingent.

When all is said and done, I'm actually not expecting the guys running for US seats because the mindless republican dittoheads are going to vote based on hate and they are going to vote for the uglier candidates.   The candidates we really need in win in the Colin Allred disctrict are the state candidates - John Turner and Nathan Johnson who are both running against certifiable morons.   I can see someone thinking that they'll do anything to get a right to life or a 2nd amendment candidate elected, but to just vote for stupidity over a couple of guys who seem to really be thinking about the issues?  Just sad.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

That's one of the things I've found it is good to mention.  People don't realize that this is just straight up popular vote.  "I don't need to vote, he'll win Austin".  Nah, it's this crazy thing where your vote matters.

This.  I had this mentality before my dumb ass realized it was a popular vote.

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

If only Molly Ivins or Ann were around...we need some sharp-tongued Texas women with an attitude around here. Hell, Beto should enlist Bama Chick to act as his surrogate.

Beto just needs to raise questions about Cruz's lack of advocacy for affordable healthcare for Texans during his six years in office.

• Like 2

It amazes me that Cruz is the favorite in nearly every poll yet on a Texas-based forum not one poster is willing to champion for this guy. I guess the majority of his supporters are moving in silence and impulsively voting for the home team.

Edited by Bruh Man

It amazes me that Cruz is the favorite in nearly every poll yet on a Texas-based forum not one poster is willing to champion for this guy. I guess the majority of his supporters are moving in silence and impulsively voting for the home team.

Cause the rural olds who vote a straight ticket.