Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

Just now, elguapo said:

But Lobo works at a bank so he definitely knows more about how to spend campaign money than people who run campaigns as their job, and it has absolutely nothing to do with him supporting the L candidate!

Just a part-time employee really.  Until the car-buying season really takes off when the new Oldsmobiles come in later this calendar year.  

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Take me for example. I voted for O'Rourke and it was my first vote for a Democrat for national office in my life. I've voted Libertarian for national office for decades. Splitting control of Washington while simultaneously removing power from the current version of the GOP was my goal. But maybe if I'd learned more about Dikeman and liked what I learned I maybe just might have voted for him instead of O'Rourke.

this is pretty similar to me.  i guess i'm younger than you because i haven't been eligible to vote for decades, but for the past 8-10 years i've only voted libertarian because i live in texas and it doesn't really matter.  but because trump (and the current GOP) is such a sack of of shit, i cast my first ever vote for a democrat -- beto o'rourke.  i was excited to do it too.  went on the first day of EV, stood in (admittedly a short) line and felt very proud that i was able to say "fuck you" to trump and the current GOP.

i had never even heard of the libertarian candidate.  can't say i would have voted for him if i had because i'm pretty fucking pissed at trump and the GOP and i wanted my vote to actually hurt them rather than just cast a protest vote, but the point is i wasn't even aware of the libertarian candidate and went into the booth with absolutely 0% of actually voting for him.  maybe it would have been a 5-10% chance i would have if i'd known anything about him.

47 minutes ago, ERhine said:

The belief that Beto was supposed to openly support Dikeman is one of the dumber ones I’ve seen on this thread.

Wait a minute. This guy thinks Beto should support Dikeman, the same guy that has filed an FEC complaint against Beto? Good luck on that one.

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

At the same time, the olds on my Facebook have been circulating the  “holy shit get out and vote so that dumb young people don’t have their say” palpable fear message.  I bet old people still vote like they always have.  

No Hillary and Trump at the top of the ballot. 

The lack of ads (tv or internet) has been the most perplexing thing about the campaign's strategy. I know they're going all in on the GOTV campaign, but an ad or two like the ones below showcasing your supporters or your beautiful family or your travels through Texas would have been beneficial in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I live in a neighborhood that's very closely divided among R & D which is actually pretty rare for Austin, so it's a hotly contested area (particularly at the muni/state level).  From the FEC rolls, they know I give money to both sides and have voted in both primaries (obviously in different years).  As a Mexican American (your racist assumptions crack me up as always), I was raised not to answer the fucking door.  And now, as part of my job, I get to help direct hundreds of thousands of dollars to candidates of R, D, and L flavors.  So you'll remember your fucking place the next time you try to pigeon-hole me.  Our bank holds quite a bit of PAC money so when a campaign fails to remember there are rules in how they approach us, I figure, "they're too fucking dumb or too fucking corrupt for my vote."  

For U.S. Senate, I literally just this morning cast my vote for Neil Dikeman.  And O'Rourke's campaign is going to regret not taking the offer to support Dikeman for disenfranchised Republicans more seriously.  

Jesus Christ.  THAT doesn't bolster your point one bit.  Way to go, Deep Pockets.

The Beto phone-bankers and door-knockers are literally just helping people find early voting/election day locations and trying to help them prepare a plan to vote. They aren't trying to convince people to vote for a candidate over the other. Seems like a pretty ridiculously thing to get butthurt about

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus Christ.  THAT doesn't bolster your point one bit.  Way to go, Deep Pockets.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I live in a neighborhood that's very closely divided among R & D which is actually pretty rare for Austin, so it's a hotly contested area (particularly at the muni/state level).  From the FEC rolls, they know I give money to both sides and have voted in both primaries (obviously in different years).  As a Mexican American (your racist assumptions crack me up as always), I was raised not to answer the fucking door.  And now, as part of my job, I get to help direct hundreds of thousands of dollars to candidates of R, D, and L flavors.  So you'll remember your fucking place the next time you try to pigeon-hole me.  Our bank holds quite a bit of PAC money so when a campaign fails to remember there are rules in how they approach us, I figure, "they're too fucking dumb or too fucking corrupt for my vote."  

For U.S. Senate, I literally just this morning cast my vote for Neil Dikeman.  And O'Rourke's campaign is going to regret not taking the offer to support Dikeman for disenfranchised Republicans more seriously.  

Assuming you are an accountant then?

My last two bosses were vocal Trump supporters. Trump's policies have destroyed our industry and ability to grow. People despite their supposed brilliance vote / donate against their economic best interest all the time usually without their realization. 

Edited by happyfunball

I'm legitimately curious how Lobo, who "was raised not to answer the fucking door", always seems to know what candidate is being pushed on him by the stranger on the other side.  Sure, maybe he peers out the peephole or a window and happens to catch sight of that one O'Rourke volunteer wearing a Beto t-shirt and a hat loaded with flair and sparklers, but in general, most of the people who come to MY door are dressed like everyday Joes and I have to actually have a conversation with them to learn who they're trying to pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The thing is, Lobo is not wrong. He's an asshole, but he's not wrong, per se. Instead of funneling money to dead end democrats to try and spark coattails or down ballots on obvious losing efforts (and arguably being a horrible steward of the money that some centrists and republicans have given to him only and specifically), he could have used that money to siphon off votes for cruz to the 3rd party candidate which directly helps his election night results. 

Why should he give up a dime to anyone? 

God bless the child that's got his own.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm legitimately curious how Lobo, who "was raised not to answer the fucking door", always seems to know what candidate is being pushed on him by the stranger on the other side.  Sure, maybe he peers out the peephole or a window and happens to catch sight of that one O'Rourke volunteer wearing a Beto t-shirt and a hat loaded with flair and sparklers, but in general, most of the people who come to MY door are dressed like everyday Joes and I have to actually have a conversation with them to learn who they're trying to pitch.

Maybe you missed the part where he works at a bank and directs hundreds of thousands of dollars as part of his job?

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Maybe my prejudice against the Confederacy is showing, but I just can't imagine that backwards ass state electing Stacey Abrams.

Plus their's that tiny inconvenience that the dude she's running against is in charge of the election.

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Why should he give up a dime to anyone? 

God bless the child that's got his own.

Just as a pragmatic measure to hurt your opponent who was/may-be-winning. Theoretically, the thinking is this:

• You've ran an awesome grass roots GOTV campaign and raised a record amount of money
  • Polling/Inside info tells you that you've probably tapped out the Dem market, and you believe that
  • Polling/Inside info tells you that you're losing by a small margin and the votes have settled in, more or less, and you believe that
  • You have money
  • You've gone on record (and probably done a lot more off record because the optics arent great in my opinion) to giving money to help out down-stream Dems
  • Polling/Inside info tells you that you that 1-2-3% of voters will never vote for you. They are Cruz's voters who are shaky and looking for a reason not to vote for Cruz.
  • Strategically you can make the case the next best action would have been to funnel some cash to the 3rd party candidate who would then take those votes who don't want to vote for Cruz but are doing some because they've never vote for Beto.
  • This has a direct negative impact on Cruz which has an indirect positive impact on Beto, either giving him better odds or helping to seal a close win.

In my opinion, it's better to do this with any surplus funds than it is to pour good money at bad with other state Dem's who will most likely lose. This is because the money that was given to Beto was given to help him win (which by giving to 3rd party indirectly helps to do) rather than help others win (which by giving to others, helps Beto not one bit to win).

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Just as a pragmatic measure to hurt your opponent who was/may-be-winning. Theoretically, the thinking is this:

• You've ran an awesome grass roots GOTV campaign and raised a record amount of money
  • Polling/Inside info tells you that you've probably tapped out the Dem market, and you believe that
  • Polling/Inside info tells you that you're losing by a small margin and the votes have settled in, more or less, and you believe that
  • You have money
  • You've gone on record (and probably done a lot more off record because the optics arent great in my opinion) to giving money to help out down-stream Dems
  • Polling/Inside info tells you that you that 1-2-3% of voters will never vote for you. They are Cruz's voters who are shaky and looking for a reason not to vote for Cruz.
  • Strategically you can make the case the next best action would have been to funnel some cash to the 3rd party candidate who would then take those votes who don't want to vote for Cruz but are doing some because they've never vote for Beto.
  • This has a direct negative impact on Cruz which has an indirect positive impact on Beto, either giving him better odds or helping to seal a close win.

In my opinion, it's better to do this with any surplus funds than it is to pour good money at bad with other state Dem's who will most likely lose. This is because the money that was given to Beto was given to help him win (which by giving to 3rd party indirectly helps to do) rather than help others win (which by giving to others, helps Beto not one bit to win).

Stop.

It's the kind of strategy that sounds good in theory on a message board and never works in practice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Just as a pragmatic measure to hurt your opponent who was/may-be-winning.

I still don't get it and I'm pretty sure the majority of Beto supporters would be less than pleased with him openly supporting the Libertarian candidate.

And that's before that same candidate filed the 'largest ever FEC Complaint against CNN and Beto'. You know, fuck Dikeman.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Maybe you missed the part where he works at a bank and directs hundreds of thousands of dollars as part of his job?

I didn't miss that part, but I'm referring to his admission that neighborhood canvas activities are sufficient to keep him from voting for those candidates.  How does he know who's being pushed if he never opens his door?

Just now, elguapo said:

Stop.

It's the kind of strategy that sounds good in theory on a message board and never works in practice.

So you admit it's logically and strategically sound, on paper, in theory, in the classroom, etc.

But what stops it from working and executing successfully on the dirty streets of politic?

Seems like the R of the RACI chart would fall on the awesome campaign manager and he need to earn his bucks. Plus, just think, the campaign manager that could pull off Beto winning would write his own ticket for the rest of his Texas Politics career.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I didn't miss that part, but I'm referring to his admission that neighborhood canvas activities are sufficient to keep him from voting for those candidates.  How does he know who's being pushed if he never opens his door?

Why are you trying to pigeonhole-him? Remember your fucking place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, relapse98 said:

I still don't get it and I'm pretty sure the majority of Beto supporters would be less than pleased with him openly supporting the Libertarian candidate.

And that's before that same candidate filed the 'largest ever FEC Complaint against CNN and Beto'. You know, fuck Dikeman.

Man, the thing about politics I've always heard, is that you have to make strange bedfellows and such and so forth. Politics is a combination of The Prince and Art of War and Art of the Deal and 8D Chess and Leaning In and #MeToo'ing and Doing the Floss and Kissing Babies and Doing Drugs with BadTeammate and sending your kids to Ivy League. No half measures.

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

My wife just got done with her second door knocking campaign. They have an app that shows who in the area has done some sort of engagement that indicates Democrat support. Liking Beto on Facebook, voting Democrat in this primaries, contributing, etc. The whole mission is to go, ask about whether the person has early voted, and if not help them make a plan on when they are doing it. It is intentionally designed not to  annoy people who don’t already lean that way. 

Only about 20% of the people I've talked to are Cruz supporters because the campaign really did a good job identifying supporters and potential supporters. Most Cruz people fall into one of the following categories:

1) A spouse of someone on my list. This is the most common. 2) The person on my list moved and the new occupants are Rs. 3) The person on my list went off to college but still have their permanent address and I end up talking to their parents. 4) They are wavering Republicans. 5) A mistake in the app.

It's definitely an expanded list compared to the Democratic party VAN (list of Dem primary voters). They knocked on 900k doors in the run up to the GOTV phase which helped add some new names, aside from the above-mentioned techniques.

40 minutes ago, Shenanigans said:

The Beto phone-bankers and door-knockers are literally just helping people find early voting/election day locations and trying to help them prepare a plan to vote. They aren't trying to convince people to vote for a candidate over the other. Seems like a pretty ridiculously thing to get butthurt about

When we encounter a Cruz voter, we politely end the conversation and head elsewhere. The feeling is almost always mutual.

The undecided voters OTOH we do try to push towards Beto. Most of them will at least hear us out and a few are actually pretty easy to sway. That's how I know that Lobo is full of shit.

• Like 2

When we encounter a Cruz voter, we politely end the conversation and head elsewhere. The feeling is almost always mutual.
The undecided voters OTOH we do try to push towards Beto. Most of them will at least hear us out and a few are actually pretty easy to sway. That's how I know that Lobo is full of shit.
The difference between in person and phone interactions with Cruz supporters is striking. When I do get one face to face, they have always been polite and often complimentary of someone my age getting out and hitting the pavement.

I would still say the majority are polite on the phone, if not a bit more short, but I have had some nasty ones too. From ranting about guns or open borders to outright personal attacks on me, not being right in front of someone really changes the tone.

Thatb isn't to single out Cruz voters. Hell, if the Trump campaign called me I honestly doubt I'd be very nice. Just an interesting psychological observation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Has anyone else got the mail out letter Beto sent through the Texas Democratic party?   I have been unable to find it, but I would post scanned images of it if anyone was interested (though I would have to find another host, since Imgur is dead to us now).  It's a good letter.  I've looked for it online, but haven't had any luck yet. 

30 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Has anyone else got the mail out letter Beto sent through the Texas Democratic party?   I have been unable to find it, but I would post scanned images of it if anyone was interested (though I would have to find another host, since Imgur is dead to us now).  It's a good letter.  I've looked for it online, but haven't had any luck yet. 

I gots it 

So I attended some fundraiser (for some PAC that jointly benefited John Cornyn and NRSC) last night where John Cornyn spoke. (Not voluntarily, it was work-related, and the open bar and free food weren't bad, and I damn sure didn't give any money).  We dems in attendance played talking points bingo. "Soros is paying protesters." "Kavanaugh was treated horribly by the mean democrats."

The actually interesting thing from his speech is that at one point he starts talking about the midterms. After conceding that the democrats will take control of the house, he starts talking about the senate. He goes down the list of all the competitive senate races by state and name: (this is nearly verbatim):

"Last night I was in Nashville campaigning with Blackburn. We're confident we will keep that seat. We think Rick Scott will win Florida, but it will be close. In Arizona, McSally is a bit behind but we're not sure how accurate the polling is there. We're very confident that Cramer will win in North Dakota and that Heller will hang on in Nevada. Indiana is going down to the wire but I'm going up there to campaign for Braun....Welp thanks for coming and enjoy the great food and drink."

Fin. Not a single mention of Ted Cruz or the Texas senate race. If you didn't know any better, you wouldn't know there was even a senate race going on in Texas. Both republicans and democrats talked afterwards about how bizarre that was. 

Edited by Mack Tripper

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

• You have money

Do you really think that giving money to a third party candidate is better than giving it to another candidate in your own party?

I could not possibly disagree more. The whole idea of helping out the others is to make their opponents spend their dollars in places that they didn't anticipate. That draws resources away from other races. Might as well blow it on pizza and beer rather than give it to the Libertarians. They want some sweet sweet cash? Go earn it. As Huckleberry pointed out they are typically disaffected R voters.