Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

We rode the train down from Crestview and walked over around 9 pm to catch the speech. The crowd was already on both sides of Riverside, the lawn next to the PEC was pretty much full, the median was packed with people in lawn chairs, and the lines for the food trucks were approximately 150 yards long each. The speech was fantastic and I couldn't stop  thinking "man I hope this guy wins". We had to make a logistical choice and could only stay for a couple of Willie songs, since we didn't want to miss the train and didn't know how crowded it would be on the way back. That turned out to be a good choice, because the 11:29 train filled to capacity and I'm sure the 12:03 did too. Another good choice was bringing a backpack with some bottles of water and a few chocolate chip cookies so we didn't have to brave the lines . All in all, it was a fun night of adventure that gave me a little hope in a time hope is needed. Now go vote in a month people!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

We’re trying to raise $5 million by midnight tonight to make sure we have the resources we need to be out there in every single county in Texas, listening to and sharing our story with everyone who’s going to decide the most important election taking place in this country this year.

Beto for Texas

Donated. Bought a couple more T-shirts 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

We’re trying to raise $5 million by midnight tonight to make sure we have the resources we need to be out there in every single county in Texas, listening to and sharing our story with everyone who’s going to decide the most important election taking place in this country this year.

Beto for Texas

it was at about 4 mil flat last night at midnight.  i suspect they'll make it, I think last time they set a goal that I recall (Cruz' first attack ads came out) there was a big surge towards the end

42 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Are you talking about trump and stormy?

He’s quoting our resident voice of the trust fund babies Johnny the sack. Apparently he’s hopping mad about cavanaugh and writing 10k checks all over town in support of the republicans, and to watch rats fuck. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Cruz-loving WIlco Republican Facebook friend is extra pissy because of all the Beto shirts he saw at the Cedar Park HEB this morning. Raises an interesting question: has anybody ever seen a person wearing a Cruz shirt?

Nope. 

I've worn my Beto shirt all day/erreyday since Friday.  Have had multiple people asking where to get one. 

43 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Cruz-loving WIlco Republican Facebook friend is extra pissy because of all the Beto shirts he saw at the Cedar Park HEB this morning. Raises an interesting question: has anybody ever seen a person wearing a Cruz shirt?

My Southern Wilco hood had 28 Beto signs to 2 Cruz signs on my morning bike ride with my son just a bit ago. The big house right when you drive in that used to be a model home had their Beto sign stolen the night of the first debate. They posted something about it on the neighborhood FB page, and when the F250 driving, wannabe SEAL beard wearing AR humpers piped up in the comments, they were pretty roundly shouted down. I was very surprised. 

57 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Nelson-Cruz-Otto-Greule-Jr-Getty-Images-

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

JFC.

Yeeeeeah that's what I'm talking about. Outside groups having to spend that money to protect a Ted Cruz because Ted can't raise money from regular people, meanwhile they cut other GOP incumbents off in swing districts.

I love it. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeeeeeah that's what I'm talking about. Outside groups having to spend that money to protect a Ted Cruz because Ted can't raise money from regular people, meanwhile they cut other GOP incumbents off in swing districts.

I love it. 

That $1 mill would go much further in ND or MT or IN or MO. Cruz is hurting GOP senate challengers in red states. Continuing to make more enemies 

Possibly hurts this race as it will 100% be spent on attack ads against Beto. BUT, we have said all along that Beto is going to help every swing district dem in the country by forcing conservative resources into an area that pubs used to sleepwalk though. 

Wheb Texas truly goes purple, good luck republicans. You are going to need all the super pac money you can get.

• Like 1

I love it. 
That $1 mill would go much further in ND or MT or IN or MO. Cruz is hurting GOP senate challengers in red states. Continuing to make more enemies 
Possibly hurts this race as it will 100% be spent on attack ads against Beto. BUT, we have said all along that Beto is going to help every swing district dem in the country by forcing conservative resources into an area that pubs used to sleepwalk though. 
Wheb Texas truly goes purple, good luck republicans. You are going to need all the super pac money you can get.
All correct, and it's still only 1/5th of Beto's $5m over the past couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

More people at Whole Foods asking where can they get a shirt combined with me and 2 others wearing our Beto shirts already.

there was someone wearing s T-shirt that said “stand for the flag but kneel for the cross” and I’m sure he saw me rolling my eyes near the guac. 

(Roll of the Eyes because of his shirt AND the price of guac at Whole Foods, Jesus it’s expensive)

5 hours ago, Horndog said:

Attendance at aggy-piggy game 55,383.

They should rename the game “The Red River Meet & Greet” brought to you by Jerry Jones. 

Seriously, the attempt by aggy to recreate TX-OU has obviously failed, just like everything else they do to measure up to us, and they should have the game go back to home and home. 

36 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

More people at Whole Foods asking where can they get a shirt combined with me and 2 others wearing our Beto shirts already.

there was someone wearing s T-shirt that said “stand for the flag but kneel for the cross” and I’m sure he saw me rolling my eyes near the guac. 

(Roll of the Eyes because of his shirt AND the price of guac at Whole Foods, Jesus it’s expensive)

Wear it to WalMart instead of Whole Foods and the response to your shirt may be different.

small anecdote from last night

Was at the Decemberists show at Bass and it was pretty full. Colin Meloy was like, why the hell are you guys here and not at the Beto/Willie show? [huge cheers] You probably bought these tickets before that was announced right? [audience laughter] Thanks for honoring your commitment, and they'll try to be half as good as Willie. then they sang some whiskey river. Point being, Beto is visible and relevant as shit, even to those outside of Texas. BTW, Colin Meloy is funny as shit. Good show, but bummed to have missed the Willie/Leon/Beto gig.

• Like 5

Just donated again.
Was there a way to donate at the show last night?

I didn't see anything. They did have merchandise for sale. Focus was definitely on voter registration and generating enthusiasm for volunteering and turnout.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

also the bit to text a number to get signed up to help knock on doors for the GOTV campaign.  That was funny, Beto saying something like "Text Willie to <whatever the number was>.  Text that word to that number, don't actually text Willie Nelson.", talking for a bit about human interaction and taking the time to make a connection with people in the effort to get people out to vote.  Which is their big strategy. 

Also FWIW, if someone knocks on your door for Beto, be friendly and give them a little boost.  Maybe ask if they need a water or to use the restroom.  The positive interactions really boost more than the negative ones drag you down.  I'm still pumped about getting that sign to the woman in the wheelchair, and hearing her shout from inside the house when she saw me on her doorbell camera with the sign.

Went to the Beto campaign HQ on Airport today to pick up a few signs for my fiancee's grandma who cuts hair and had some customers asking for signs.  They have a reasonable selection of shirts - some whataburger ones and then a lot of the standard BETO for SENATE and Beto roadsign shits.  I ordered one of those Beto por Texas shirts last night - that's a cool design.  They have the rainbow Beto shirts at the HQ too.

• Like 3

Quick update from the Shaggy 1% VIP experience last night.  The good:  Got to meet Beto.  He's evah so dreamy.  Pic to follow as soon as I get a chance.  The not as good:  We spent the first 2 hours of the concert sitting in a fenced-off area where we could neither see nor really hear the music.  Waah.  Also I don't know if they planned this out in advance, but when we formed the photo line, we were told that pics would be taken in groups of five, and they assigned us three random people to take a picture with and instructed us to decide whose camera we were going to use and then to exchange phone numbers for sharing the picture.  By the time we got to the front of the line that whole plan had kind of fallen apart; people were just wandering up to Beto in whatever group formations they desired and taking pictures that way. We ended up with a random dude in ours but he was on the outside and can easily be cropped out.   The good again:  Once we got the pictures out of the way we got to watch the rest of the concert right up front from a VIP section. Noice.  The not as good - Um, was it just me or was Willie's set not all that great?  I don't know if he was having trouble hearing or if he's just old AF, but his playing and his timing were so off that it was affecting the bad.  Not a biggie, though, I mean, given why we were all there.  The best:  Beto's speech.  Holy fuck.  I was all in before but now I'm REALLY all in. 

Willie is 85 years old - you're not wrong, but I think the quick timing, somewhat clunky guitar playing, sounding a bit winded, that's what you're going to get when you go see Willie now.  Had the same experience when I saw him a year ago at the Floore Country Store.

I wonder if the weirdness with trying to group people for the pictures was planned or if maybe Beto was running a bit late from whatever Tribfest stuff he was doing.  Sounds like that happened before the concert?

Edited by Celery Man