Talk Texas vs Purple Wizard's KState Wildcats

LTtxfan

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article218981635.html
Bill Snyder asserts his power over K-State assistant coaches with QB switch to Delton
When Kansas State quarterback Alex Delton took over for Skylar Thompson late in the third quarter of a 35-6 loss to West Virginia on Saturday, his presence in the huddle came as a shock to all but two people in attendance.
No one informed Thompson he was getting benched. K-State offensive coordinator Andre Coleman and quarterbacks coach Collin Klein were also in the dark. As far as they knew, the plan was to keep plugging away at a comeback attempt with the quarterback who had started all four of the Wildcats’ games and had seemingly proven himself as the best passer on the roster.
But Bill Snyder was ready to make a change. So much so that the K-State head coach bypassed his coaching staff and informed Delton directly that he would finish out the game following an interception by Wildcats defensive back Johnathan Durham.
This information was confirmed by two sources with knowledge of the personnel change.
It also lines up with what Delton and Thompson said immediately afterward. Delton told reporters that Snyder “came over to me right before the drive and told me I was going in.” Thompson, with disgust in his voice, said he was blindsided.
Nevertheless, the QB switch is here to stay. Both sources said the Wildcats plan to start Delton against Texas later this week and that K-State gave him the majority of its first-team work in practice on Monday.
Snyder hinted at such a move immediately following the West Virginia game, when he went out of his way to praise Delton for playing “extremely well” and to downplay Thompson for not playing “as well as he is capable.” He later walked back those comments after watching replays of the game and realizing that Thompson (11 of 17 for 145 yards, 16 yards on 12 carries) and Delton (7 of 12 for 82 yards, 18 yards on 11 carries) played “about the same.”
Still, Snyder is ready to shake things up.
In hopes of providing a spark for a sputtering offense that is currently averaging 21 points and 347 yards (both numbers rank ninth in the Big 12, ahead of only Iowa State), Snyder wants to revert back to the ground-oriented attack K-State has used successfully in the past. He views Delton, a gifted runner, as the better QB in that system. Expect lots of quarterback keepers against the Longhorns.

It’s a bold move that, according to sources, Snyder has desired all along. Even though Thompson was named the starter at the end of preseason camp, Snyder’s preference was to roll with Delton and see how far the Hays junior could take the offense. Problem was, Coleman and Klein and the rest of Snyder’s assistants supported Thompson.
Not wanting to overrule Coleman, a first-time play caller who aimed to take the offense in a new direction following Dana Dimel’s departure to UTEP, Snyder decided against using his veto power.
Until now.
Snyder didn’t publicly commit to either quarterback on Tuesday, saying he anticipates both will play against Texas. But he did explain why he benched Thompson against West Virginia.
“It wasn’t his fault that we were behind the 8-ball,” Snyder said. “The point is, we didn’t have any points on the board and we just needed to do something and needed to make some type of change. And the other young guy has been playing equally as well. Both of them have their hiccups and their issues. Skylar played well ... we just needed to try to do something to get a spark.”
It’s clear Snyder was never completely sold on Thompson as QB1. He refused to publicly anoint him as the team’s starter until the third game and, even then, rarely complimented his play. Delton has seen limited action in all four games, yet Snyder has had more positive things to say about him.
Last week, at his Tuesday news conference, Snyder had this to say about Delton: “His opportunities are going to come. They certainly will. There is no doubt in my mind about that.”
The QB change will likely be met with skepticism from some K-State fans. Thompson, who has thrown for 505 yards and four touchdowns, has been far from impressive this season. But he has been better than Delton. Though Delton has had his moments, including a 72-yard touchdown strike to Isaiah Zuber against Texas-San Antonio and 78 rushing yards against South Dakota, he has been turnover prone and taken sacks at inopportune times.
It’s also unclear what kind of effect this decision might have on Coleman. Promoted from receivers coach to offensive coordinator just nine months ago, how will he react to this type of micromanagement from his head coach? He already faced an awkward transition, starting the season calling plays from the press box but moving down to the field after two clunkers. What’s his next move?
Personnel disagreements are common on every coaching staff, but could there be a rift forming between Snyder and his young team of assistants, which not long ago seemed to energize him as he was coming off a cancer scare?
Snyder, a former offensive coordinator, said he regularly provides suggestions on that side of the ball.
“We constantly have dialogue about that,” Snyder said. “The fact that we aren’t getting the ball in the end zone, I don’t fault anybody in particular. I don’t fault our coaches. In all reality, I don’t really fault our players. Everybody has improvement to make. That starts with me ... We have all got to get better at what we are doing.”
“This is an offensive staff that, when you consider the assignments of each, it’s different. They are growing together. That part of it, I think, is improving. That hasn’t shown up with points on the board, but nevertheless I see that improving. It’s getting acclimated to it and continuing to make improvement. My interaction with it hasn’t changed from Day 1.”
Of course, others may applaud Snyder’s aggressive move, because it means Snyder is asserting himself and making a personnel change that he thinks will help the team bounce back from a 2-2 start. If he thinks the season is slipping away, perhaps he is wise to act … even if his assistants disagree.
It’s not like Thompson has been lighting it up. The Wildcats have lost two games to ranked opponents by a combined score of 66-16. And his decision to audible out of a QB sneak and into an option pitch on fourth-and-inches against West Virginia was disastrous.
With a shaky offensive line and drop-prone receivers, the numbers advantage that comes with running the quarterback behind a lead blocker, and the confusion that comes with zone-read plays, could be just what the doctor ordered for this offense.
K-State averaged just 2.5 yards per rush against West Virginia.
Delton has a positive history as a runner. When healthy, he started over Thompson last season and made an impact against Texas after Jesse Ertz exited with an injury. He rushed for 79 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries during an overtime loss in Austin.
He also took over for Thompson in the Cactus Bowl and led K-State to a victory over UCLA by running for 158 yards and three touchdowns on 20 carries. But he also missed the final three games of the regular season after suffering a pair of concussions.
Delton has been waiting for a moment like this.
“I feel like I am always ready,” Delton said following the WVU game. “I take my preparation serious and I take my play serious, so I am always going to be ready. When I come in I expect to be successful.”

Could be interpreted as either desperation or wizardry...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

our secondary is too good for skylar thompson especially with a weak OL.  he's just going to hope Delton's running ability keeps them in the game.  Its really his only option.

Make him not want to run.

Paging Gary Johnson and Brandon Jones.....

Edited by Lhorn

This could be a make or break game for Snyder.  Probably the most disarray for the KState Football Program during Snyder's tenure.  Comments from some KState Fans are that the Purple Wizard may need to step aside soon.

Comments from article below....

"Regardless of whether Delton actually gives the Wildcats a better chance of winning the game against the Longhorns on Saturday, Snyder’s behavior and disagreements with his assistants could be an indication that Snyder is losing his touch.

His defensive coordinator, Tom Hayes, retired after last season after coaching at Kansas State since 2011. Dimel played at Kansas State and moved from his graduate assistant role to coaching the offensive line when Snyder first took over in Manhattan in 1989. After spending eight seasons under Snyder, he moved on, but returned for another stint as a graduate assistant in 2005 and coached Snyder’s offense from 2009 to 2017 when Snyder returned to coaching.

In other words, Snyder relied heavily on continuity on his coaching staff, as well as finding under-recruited prospects, walk ons, and junior college recruits to bridge the talent gap between the Wildcats and nearly every other program in the conference. As the program struggles to replace several top contributors on both sides of the ball, the defense has suffered and the offense is embroiled in a quarterback controversy between Snyder and his assistants.

Going with Delton as the starter could galvanize the team combined with a bunker mentality produced by two blowout losses and a narrow home win over an FCS opponent in the first four games.

Or the intra-staff disagreements and Snyder’s public displays of anger could be a sign that an aging coach is losing his grip on a program with little margin for error. "

Edited by LTtxfan

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

our secondary is too good for skylar thompson especially with a weak OL.  he's just going to hope Delton's running ability keeps them in the game.  Its really his only option.

This is the puzzling part.  They had the entire OL returning and in the preseason they were being touted as one of the best in the nation.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

"PencilPusher" post:

"On offense, I would expect KState to roll out with Alex Delton and feature a lot of QB run game, opportunistic RPO's, and a game plan designed to get yards in small to medium sized chunks. They want to find themselves in 3rd and 4 type situations repeatedly. KState needs to possess for 36+ minutes and they want 10+ play type drives that even if they don't result in big points each time, they take precious time off the clock and keep Texas offense off the field. They want to be in the game in the 4th quarter where Texas could give up a big play that could result in a win for them. Keeping the UT offense off the field and limiting the number of plays run will force UT to be more perfect on offense, which Texas hasn't shown it can be that consistent for 4 quarters. "

KState article quote: "

Delton ran all over Texas late in an overtime loss against the Longhorns last season, finishing with 79 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries after coming on for an injured Jesse Ertz.

He might get another opportunity this week."

Yep......I'd like to say I am some kind of genius, but this is the obvious strategy and one would hope our defensive staff is all over this. The fact it is getting announced early in the week takes away the element of surprise to some degree and allows us to better game plan for one QB rather than 2. I am guessing the power struggle forced the hand on the announcement, rather than strategic conniving designed to force us to prepare for both., limiting reps on the QB run game, etc.  Guessing Casey Thompson will be getting a lot of scout team reps this week.

Offensive fast start will be key as well. I'd come out up tempo and see if I can't get some scores on the board early. We have scored on the opening possession in the last 3 games, though two of those were FG's. Need to do that again. Putting up a couple of early touchdowns might help fuel the internecine warfare that appears to exist on the K State staff because I don't think Delton will be capable of engineering big comebacks, especially with what I view the K-State game plan to be for this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is the puzzling part.  They had the entire OL returning and in the preseason they were being touted as one of the best in the nation.

Read same in preseason B12 articles as well "Elmer". 

No doubt KState's gonna try to both "out-physical and out-scheme" Horns with their better running QB.  They will probably run Jet Sweep a few times and might throw in trick plays such as reverses.....

Agree with comments that strong start is important for Horns...🤘

This game could sink either coach if it goes badly. I hope and think it is KSU that will be in chaos mode afterwards. To me, the goals should include getting some QB snaps for guys not named Sam (as well as getting meaningful experience for other depth guys). Discipline, too. No targeting DQs, especially in the second half.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

To me, the goals should include getting some QB snaps for guys not named Sam (as well as getting meaningful experience for other depth guys). Discipline, too. No targeting DQs, especially in the second half.

Make a statement.  Stomp a mud hole early and never let up.  Grind them down with long, sustained drives and force them to play catch-up (which they are ill equipped to do).  Let them hang around, and all bets are off...

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

T-Carter can still see action in 4 games and not lose a year of eligibility if he decides to transfer....

Barring injuries I don’t see him playing. He’s as good as gone at this point so why give him carries when Ingram, Watson and Young could use more.  It’s too bad. He’s a very capable but I guess coaches have him slotted as 4th or 5th. Maybe potential to fumble  

11 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Barring injuries I don’t see him playing. He’s as good as gone at this point so why give him carries when Ingram, Watson and Young could use more.  It’s too bad. He’s a very capable but I guess coaches have him slotted as 4th or 5th. Maybe potential to fumble  

If Horns were to get a good lead,  give TC carries.  Still prudent to have a 4th and even a 5th option at RB just in case of injuries (Knock on Wood). He can still help in 3-4 games.....

🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

I can’t believe that you guys are not laughing at the article pointing out that a 90 year old guy “may be losing his touch”? No shit, by 60 you start losing touch with a bunch of shit. Much less the complexity of a football program. The fact this guy is upright is a testament to his constitution.

On 9/25/2018 at 10:13 AM, PencilPusher said:

Damn...you'd think I'd remember since I was at the 99 game. Was it David Allen that returned the punt against us for a TD? That was an incredibly stacked team, though had Applewhite not gifted them 6 turnovers, we still might have beaten them. 

Yes. And it was fucking hot that day. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

That game was almost as stolen by refs as the Charlie Strong Okie Lite game.  

Very few times in my life have I seen a referee crew get booed the way that 2011 Kansas State crew did. They had absolutely no idea how to correctly apply the kick catch interference rule on punts. 

Threw my first football bet of the year on us covering (mostly stick to NBA). 

Fuck the purple wizard (jk God don't send me to hell) fuck this stupid bullshit of us losing every damn game there I'm sick of being nervous about it let alone suffering crippling losses (they also beat us at home, too).

So for this weekend fuck this garbage K State team let's roll these motherfuckers by 40 points and get ready to kick the shit out of OU.

Hook em fucking Horns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Deej said:

Chickens come home to roost for K-State this year. We lay a beatdown on them.

All streaks come to an end.  This is not Mack Brown or Charlie Strong Texas football.  Herman is not vulnerable to Snyder's wizardry.  This is the year the Horns get this monkey off our back, rip off his legs and beat him with them.  HIS. OWN. DAMN. LEGS!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 1:04 PM, Skipper said:

This game scares me just like everyone else but the reality is the only game in the current winless streak @ Manhattan where we were clearly the better team on paper was 2006 when Colt got hurt.  

We didn't lose that game because Colt got hurt - the same basic "pinched nerve" injury at the junction of right shoulder and neck, which he would suffer the next game against agy, three years later against Bama, as well as in the NFL. We lost the KState game because Jamaal fumbled, Selvin fumbled, and The Punter had a punt blocked, which took us from 21-21 to 21-42, all in about five minutes. I thought Jevan Snead QB'ed reasonably well and we got within three, but couldn't recover an onside kick at the end. You score 42 points and lose... it ain't on anybody but the D.

Mack was scared to death to have a freshman QB out there. Colt seemed to be not able to make a full throw in practice. We had two weeks to the agy T-Day game, and by the time it got there, Colt was said to be suffering from some gawdawful horrible flu -  sick, puking all night - and his arm still wasn't right.

Mack, scared to death, couldn't bring himself to let Snead take the reins. Colt looked like warmed-over shit, but played every single snap until he got ko'ed by a cheap shot with time for one play - after having been hit on a previous play almost as hard. The second one, he was out on the field for a good ten minutes, and wound up spending hours at Brack with MRIs, xRays, and more, culminating with (as I recall), "He's got a pinched nerve."

Snead stood on the sideline, helmet off, arms folded, staring at the field. I don't think Mack even looked at him. After Colt ot carted off, Snead had time for one play, he got one snap, one fucking snap: he dropped back and threw as much of a Hail Mary jump ball as he could, which was - predictably - intercepted. Watching his body language all day, I opined that he would be gone as soon as possible, and he was. He wasn't the best QB I ever saw, but he was better than just OK... god damn, he would have been a great asset to put in the Bama game, when Colt got ko'ed with the same fucking injury, and Squints was so unprepared to play that he couldn't even find his fucking helmet.

So, yeah, fuck KState, fuck the Purple Wizard, fuck their mothers, fuck their dogs, fuck their mothers' dogs, fuck their dogs' mothers.

Did I leave anyone out?

Right - Fuck 0U.

• Like 1