Westworld Season 2

mackavelli

I had a thought:

Delos’s brain was “rejecting its reality” according to William when talking to the 149th version. 

In season 1, one of the baseline questions when analyzing a Host is “have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?”

So, perhaps that was Ford’s endgame. Get the hosts to a place where their brain won’t “reject its reality” so that human consciousness could be written on top of a host control unit.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

"Well how do you think it is growing up William, when your name rhymes with a part of the female anatomy that doesn't even exist on us robot hosts?"  

I wonder if a Man vs God type theme is coming into play. What if the cognitive plateau could be the soul and/or lack of one in the machines? Or perhaps something more broadly metaphysical? There are already lots of light/dark, good/evil references all over this show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something that's bugging me...

If William had such an integral role in the development of the park, why does MIB appear to be lost/searching/wandering his way around the wilderness all the time? 

I know it's a big park but other hosts/guests/security seem to navigate at a much quicker pace than he.

And this makes me curious about how much he's ventured into the other parks during this 30 year experiment.

Guest Lobo

What was in the red parcel that MiB retrieved at the saloon last episode?  he called it cheating.  Was that the nitro?  Or something else?  Or do we not know yet? 

Something that's bugging me...
If William had such an integral role in the development of the park, why does MIB appear to be lost/searching/wandering his way around the wilderness all the time? 
I know it's a big park but other hosts/guests/security seem to navigate at a much quicker pace than he.
And this makes me curious about how much he's ventured into the other parks during this 30 year experiment.

In season 1 MIB kills the outlaws wife and several other thugs after sitting at the table and methodically breaking down and servicing his revolver. At the time I mentioned that it looked like he had been in that exact same situation multiple times as a result of him knowing exactly where each thug would be. IMO he was trying to advance through what he thinks is a quest line, but kept on failing by not shooting the wife. So basically resetting multiple times before advancing further into the park.

I thought it was interesting that in the last ep MIB sat down at the exact table and was about to go through the same process with his revolver as if the same shit was about to go down.

In another ep, after getting captured by mystery killers, MIB says something to Teddy like- “I’ve been roaming this park for years and your dumbass just stumbles onto this”
  • Like 2

This last episode was the best yet, and I appreciated the fact that they stuck with one main story, and didn't jump around too much. I think this show benefits when it is more focused and less scattered. Looking forward to some Samurai shit next week. 

2 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

In season 1 MIB kills the outlaws wife and several other thugs after sitting at the table and methodically breaking down and servicing his revolver. At the time I mentioned that it looked like he had been in that exact same situation multiple times as a result of him knowing exactly where each thug would be. IMO he was trying to advance through what he thinks is a quest line, but kept on failing by not shooting the wife. So basically resetting multiple times before advancing further into the park.

I thought it was interesting that in the last ep MIB sat down at the exact table and was about to go through the same process with his revolver as if the same shit was about to go down.

In another ep, after getting captured by mystery killers, MIB says something to Teddy like- “I’ve been roaming this park for years and your dumbass just stumbles onto this”

Exactly. 

I guess it's like somebody playing his own video game - he understands the coding and technology required to make the game possible but he still has to actually play the game to learn how to win it.

7 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

Some of the MIB scenes have a definite GOT feel from the music. Hell, end of S1, maybe E9 or so, I swear I could hear the Rains of Castermere playing in the background on a cello. Great fucking music for both shows

At the risk of stating the obvious (particularly since Ramin Djawadi's cameo was pointed out upthread) it's the same dude who scores both shows. 

On 5/15/2018 at 4:02 PM, Lobo said:

What was in the red parcel that MiB retrieved at the saloon last episode?  he called it cheating.  Was that the nitro?  Or something else?  Or do we not know yet? 

I wondered that myself? I was curious why the many sites I follow about this show basically didn’t mention what I thought was a significant scene. Did I miss something, as I thought that tool was designed specifically for the repair of a host, and not human flesh?

Or are we all believing that this William is in fact himself now a host. With a new body, but his own consciousness? And that he was able to work around the rejection problems that plagued James Delos project?

44 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

I wondered that myself? I was curious why the many sites I follow about this show basically didn’t mention what I thought was a significant scene. Did I miss something, as I thought that tool was designed specifically for the repair of a host, and not human flesh?

Or are we all believing that this William is in fact himself now a host. With a new body, but his own consciousness? And that he was able to work around the rejection problems that plagued James Delos project?

He may be a host but both the hosts and actual humans share the same skin and tissue, so the wand would work on either. It is cheating because that tech did not exist in the wild west.

What a great episode. Those white robots are terrifying. Would like to have 12 of those on defense...

When they all killed themselves by breaking their own neck was sick...

Yep, imagine waking up the in the middle of the night with those things entering your room, they just sit there and stare at you silent, I would shit myself.

Man you could freak some people out if you had access to a badass costume like that .

On 5/14/2018 at 11:27 PM, Planet Houston said:

My wife loves the show - I thought she might give it a pass after the extreme violence of S2E1, but the story has been great in the following episodes and she’s all in again. 

Agree with those who say last night was the best episode of the series. Fantastic. I think that the “human host” is MIB and he’s in his “interview” after not surviving the uprising. The only hole in that is that I don’t get the impression that Ford really had a hand in the secret immortality project, but that’s probably a false assumption. 

ok did i miss something? do we know there is a human host? someone was mentioning three on the previous page? if someone can explain, i would appreciate it.

I’m enjoying this episode although it seems after reading this thread more and more, I’m not dedicating anywhere near the IQ I should be to fully understanding what’s going on.

What’s the consensus on a good 15-20 minute recap video or podcast or for each episode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

ok, yeah i remember now. bernard said he was sent to the lab by ford to retrieve another control unit for another.  thanks!

He was sent there to print it, not just snatch the one that was being printed. Undecided if that is an important distinction or not at this point. 

15 hours ago, heso said:

He was sent there to print it, not just snatch the one that was being printed. Undecided if that is an important distinction or not at this point. 

Yes I think they showed Bernard put in his thumbprint ID and then a code and it started to print a new one for him. So he instructed it to build something. It wasn’t just him snatching one that was already being built 

I read a lot of the various articles about the show each week, and there are essentially two camps right now:

Camp 1: The last episode was the best of the series, and can’t wait to see what the show does to build on the whole immortality angle  

Camp 2: The last episode was too much like LOST, the show is jumping the shark, and they should get back to the basics of season 1 that made it so enjoyable.  

I think both of these are missing the point of the show. In my view, the show is essentially a parable about altruism/caring about more than oneself versus selfishness. The characters who we root for aren’t focused on their own ends (Arnold and Ford at the end of Season 1 who care more about their “children” than their own lives, Maeve who broke her programming to find her daughter, MiB in the last episode when he broke his loop and saved Lawrence’s town, etc) and the characters we revile are the ones who only care about themselves (Most of Delos board/management, guests who fuck and kill for sport, Ford until we realize at the end he was trying to help the hosts gain consciousness, Dolores this season for the most part, etc.). 

I think its a show that is trying to make the point that actions matter, redemption is possible, and the ends don’t justify the means. 

I wouldn’t mind if they showed more nudity while making these points this season, though. 

Edited by hornian
  • Like 2

That's apparently given a lower priority than extracting their pound of flesh on Maslow's hierarchy of cyborg needs. 

Besides, they presumably reproduce mechanically and asexually, meaning that there's no biological imperative to drive an interest in fucking (for sport or perpetuation of the species), bringing an important and strange wrinkle to the "more human than human" theme. 

8 hours ago, bamachine said:

They still could have shown William's daughter get nekkid, in her sex scene. She has shown the goods in film before. I want to see them on my TV screen in HD, not on some vid site on my laptop.

Well....u ain't wrong