Westworld Season 2

mackavelli

The first season was epic; it was interesting and really made you think. This season feels like something the SyFi channel would green light. Maeve, Delores, Samari, is all el stupido.

I'm not sure if the fact that the music is the greatest thing about this season-- it's truly awesome-- is a testament to how great Ramin is or how lacking this season is.

3 minutes ago, HouTex said:

And unnecessarily so, IMO. They try too hard to be clever and it becomes a chore to follow along.

Yeah.  It worked in Season 1, where the viewers had to slowly unfurl the mystery.

It is a bit of a tedium now with too many storylines, but i can also see in the TV business needing to drag something out, rather than keeping it tight as in a movie.  

Hopefully it doesnt go the way of Walking Dead (*shudder*)

51 minutes ago, HouTex said:

And unnecessarily so, IMO. They try too hard to be clever and it becomes a chore to follow along.

They've written the show like they have a hell of a story to tell, but they insist on moving that story along as slowly as fucking possible. I can accept some TV shows will not have an over-arching story to tell but might decide to take the episode-by-episode route instead, which can work as long as they accept that's the type of show they are (like a sitcom). This show is dabbling in both and it's frustrating. Last week's episode might have been my favorite of the season because it introduced a lot of new material and moved the story along greatly, this week was a regression it seemed.

They've written the show like they have a hell of a story to tell, but they insist on moving that story along as slowly as fucking possible. I can accept some TV shows will not have an over-arching story to tell but might decide to take the episode-by-episode route instead, which can work as long as they accept that's the type of show they are (like a sitcom). This show is dabbling in both and it's frustrating. Last week's episode might have been my favorite of the season because it introduced a lot of new material and moved the story along greatly, this week was a regression it seemed.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/22/2018 at 10:14 AM, 52-80 said:

This site does a good job at presenting a linear timeline

http://collider.com/westworld-timeline-explained

I think it's just a tremendously complex job to present a narrative the way that they have

It’s one thing to do it for a 30 year time gap, but to do it for basically no time gap the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. 

Just now, Horn_Spanker said:

Explain the Teddy story to me.  What happened to him last episode?

Dolores changed his settings to make him "tougher", but I think she's going to regret it and see that it was softer side of him that she fell in love with. Essentially breaking the free will that Maeve has learned to appreciate.

23 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I officially have no idea what’s going on now. Ford is in the cradle. Immortal?

That's pretty much how I see it: he programmed himself an afterlife. Apparently, the pea brain of a host isn't sufficient to hold a human's full character (Delos), but the vast array of servers in the Cradle are.

And it was Bernard who transferred Ford over (that he was only partially remembering).

Edited by bolverk

I'm rewatching the episode and can't help but notice the odd symmetry of Dolores and Ford playing the piano at the beginning and end. Does this indicate a deeper connection between the two that hasn't been revealed or discussed? Afterall, she was their first creation. Moreover, in the first scene when she's testing Bernard's "fidelity", can we be sure she's not really Ford since he's no longer Arnold at that point?

Guest Lobo

Ford/Hopkins can only survive in the CR4DL as long as he needs to in order to stall Alex Furlong into becoming his new host body.  

I mean, it's not like Westworld got heavy-handed with this notion by putting Mick Jagger/Victor Vacendak music into the show or anything.   That's be taking the Freejack script and painting it black or something...

I'm not the least surprised if Estevez makes a cameo before the season is up.  For shit's sakes...

Edited by Lobo

14 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Does anyone watch with subtitles?

All of Elsie’s lines were titled as Hale.

That’s pretty fucking interesting, man.

Just came back to post this. Dunno if it's an Easter Egg or an honest mistake by whoever does the captioning.

38 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Does anyone watch with subtitles?

All of Elsie’s lines were titled as Hale.

That’s pretty fucking interesting, man.

In the scene between MiB and his daughter at the campfire, she says "gala invite" but "gauntlet invite" is what shows up on the captioning. I'm leaning toward a mistake by the captioning company but who knows? But the seemingly minor point where MiB misremembered Grace's and her mother's feelings about the elephants in the Raj seems like it could be significant.

Edited by bolverk

One last bit of commentary: Ghost Nation has previously been pretty ruthless about killing other hosts but saving humans this season with the one notable exception being Maeve this episode when the one Indian says she's on the same path.

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

But the seemingly minor point where MiB misremembered Grace's and her mother's feelings about the elephants in the Raj seems like it could be significant.

I am not sure it is any more than the fact that he was far more interested in the park than his family, any time they visited.

4 hours ago, bamachine said:

I am not 100% sure it is a virtual park. It may be a memory he is reliving of when he was sent to make the new cpu and then delivered it to Ford in the park, away from the prying eyes of the rest of Delos, Inc. Hiding, in plain sight.

I think it contains all of the records of the guest visits and personal data/IP. Ford inserted his consciousness into the cradle to protect the data and hosts. It’s the IP they want to save and or steal. 

Ford is inside the system and actively thwarting their attempts to hack back into the system and regain control over hosts and park. They mention the system is improvising and correcting or deleting any back doors on the fly. If they could hack in they could shut down all of the hosts. 

MO

Guest Lobo

One fun thing you can get from a "real park" experience as opposed to VR/AR is blood/sweat/semen without people realizing they were truly turning it over.  With that information, you can figure out what these world leaders/business titans are biologically vulnerable to and go back into the mainland world and make sure they are fed that shit via food/drink/sex/environment/pharma/medical/et. al.  Another notch for William's vision...

10 hours ago, bamachine said:

I am not 100% sure it is a virtual park. It may be a memory he is reliving of when he was sent to make the new cpu and then delivered it to Ford in the park, away from the prying eyes of the rest of Delos, Inc. Hiding, in plain sight.

I think it is just the parks stored memories of previous events and Bernard's brain is in the cradle so he can basically take a virtual tour of it all. And of co nurse he encounters Ford's consciousness in there.

Like most of you, I’m fairly confused at this point. It’s hard to understand what each character’s goals are, therefore I have no idea what we are working towards. It would be like watching a sporting event when you don’t know the rules or objectives of the particular sport.

I think the show is starting to suffer from lack of any true protagonist. I guess we are supposed to root for Maeve and Bernard? It would help to have some decent humans.

What is MiB’s end game? He never liked the park when humans were protected. Ford reprogrammed everything, then young host Ford finally told MiB “This game is for you”. Is MiB now satisfied that the possibility of death is real? Is he just trying to exist as long as possible in the park before eventually getting killed?

Maeve is equally confusing. She took her crew on a 3 episode detour through Shogun World, only to gain nothing and crawl back through a tunnel into Westworld. They watched some Shogun vs. Geisha fighting, saw hosts die, said goodbye to the remaining hosts, and went back to their own park. She can control other hosts, but whenever she is being chased by Ghost Nation, seems to suddenly forget that ability.

I’m along for the ride, but it seems like the style of storytelling has taken priority over the plot itself, and that’s growing tiresome.

• Like 1

This show is losing my attention fast. I really have no idea what the point of this season is and I watch the Alt+Shift+X videos every week to try and stay on top of it.

This show must hold the record for the number of dead bodies lying around in almost every scene.

Something significant better happen in the next few episodes or I'm done

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Interesting timeline/theory here. Don't click if you don't like speculative spoilers.

https://m.imgur.com/a/SFMJKc8

Spoiler

Holy shit, I didn't realize that there were 2 Bernards.  I know the preview for this week's episode showed a whole room full of Bernards, I just didn't think that we'd already experienced that yet.  I know it'll all get tied up, but it's a serious mind fuck if we've got multiple versions of the same host running around out there.

One thing I thought about for this past episode is that there's been barely any female nudity this season.  I think it's a meta-comment on OUR (TV viewers) desires that mirror that of the humans in the park.  We want to see a bunch of titties on hot chicks.  Now that the hosts are rebelling and in control (in a sense), they're not going by our rules/desires any more.

I could not care any less about Maeve and her story line. She is also 0.00% believable as a "bad ass" and her and Hector's love arc is almost as weird as their goodbye kiss.

Delores is at least 2% believable as a bad ass, ass kick chick, as she's not 5'0, 89 lbs. 

1 hour ago, RTF Horn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Holy shit, I didn't realize that there were 2 Bernards.  I know the preview for this week's episode showed a whole room full of Bernards, I just didn't think that we'd already experienced that yet.  I know it'll all get tied up, but it's a serious mind fuck if we've got multiple versions of the same host running around out there.

One thing I thought about for this past episode is that there's been barely any female nudity this season.  I think it's a meta-comment on OUR (TV viewers) desires that mirror that of the humans in the park.  We want to see a bunch of titties on hot chicks.  Now that the hosts are rebelling and in control (in a sense), they're not going by our rules/desires any more.

I've given a little thought about this too and believe that the purpose Ford had in interviewing the hosts nekkid was to dehumanize them -- to point out that they didn't deserve the dignity of being in costume when they weren't performing for the audience. The dearth of T&A this season, I think, supports the notion that they now are no longer less-than-human.

• Like 1