Which Is Your Favorite Win Against OU?

Vic Mackey

If we find a way to win this week, it will move up to the top regardless how it happens.  After the shit that has been the 2010's, it would feel really great to have a win over OU, a top 10 ranking, be 5-1, be undefeated this late in conference play for the first time since 2009.  It would feel really good.

If we lose, then 2005 is my favorite.  For the same reasons but not quite as dramatic.

14 hours ago, NowThis said:

was going to post the same since UT was a massive dog and Switzer had humiliated UT for so long, although he was gone by 89.  The crowd was so electric, whistling and hooting filing out after the game. The winning TD to Cash was something I vividly remember to this day.

This.  My last year in LHB, I sat through 4 losses in a row to those cocksuckers, AND a fucking miserable 15-15 tie in a monsoon in 1984.  I literally threw up when Johnny Walker made that catch (drinking before the game may have had something to do with that too).  Close 2nd is 1991 (I think), only ou game I got to go to with my brother, we were right in the end zone when Bubba Jacques scooped up that fumble and ran it straight toward us.  Gotta beer thrown in my car window by some dumb okie that I almost ran over for standing in the middle of the goddam road going into the Cotton Bowl.  Good times...

Edited by UTCzech III
i knew cash didn't sound right

14 hours ago, UTEX90 said:

This will probably not make anyone else's favorite but 1989 when Peter Gardere won the game we had no business winning was huge for me and many fellow students.  The 80s were rough for the die hard faithful but I will never forget winning that game or the 3 to follow.

Goddamnit, post the video

I was too young to attend this one (started at age 8 in 1992, Gardere's Swan Song). That having been said, this might have topped my list if I was there. Just looking and listening to the crowd reaction to the TD, as well as the boys, and the last play and knowing the results of 1984-1988 just tells you that the sheer explosion is from a buildup of 5 truly miserable years against those fuckers. If ever someone asks you what "catharsis" means, show this video.

EDIT: I seem to remember someone telling a story about this game in the hornfans days that when the bands marched to their seats (this was back when they were in the actual stands and not those folding chairs in the back of the field), we sent half our band first, the Sooners came, then to everyone's surprise the other half of the LHB came in behind that. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by hpslugga

Was watching this game in CO while on an elk hunt.  Sitting in a cabin at about 11K feet altitude viewing the game on old rabbit-eared TV.  My fellow hunters were 2 OU grads and 1 aggy.  I was on the receiving end of a lot of talk about how bad the Horns were going to lose.  OU went up early and then this happened...
The mood changed and, of course, it was on after that and UT went on to win.  I didn't say a word.  I just poured another drink and smiled.  All of this was followed up by yours truly taking the biggest bull elk of my career and the 2 OU grads and aggy got completely shut out and never filled their tags.  
Suck it, bitchezz.
Watching this in real time after Shipley crossed the end zone, my heart almost dropped after Brent's tone changed and he began his sentence "There is...". I thought he was about to say there was a flag on the play. Huge sigh of relief. Even to this day it sounds like he's about to say that when I watch it. haha

1 hour ago, fellside said:

If we find a way to win this week, it will move up to the top regardless how it happens.  After the shit that has been the 2010's, it would feel really great to have a win over OU, a top 10 ranking, be 5-1, be undefeated this late in conference play for the first time since 2009.  It would feel really good.

If we lose, then 2005 is my favorite.  For the same reasons but not quite as dramatic.

If we win this week, it will be my 2nd favorite behind 2008 with all the surrounding circumstances. 2005 is up there for me but that was a formality. We were clearly the better team, Peterson was injured for the year and OU was down that year. Didn't they lose to TCU to open the season or the second game? Even Mack Brown was not fucking that up for us. I honestly say 2006 was more satisfying because we had no idea what Colt was going to become and OU was better that year than 2005. If we beat OU this week, can we say it is our biggest win of this decade? Seeing as how down we have been.

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

Goddamnit, post the video

I was too young to attend this one (started at age 8 in 1992, Gardere's Swan Song). That having been said, this might have topped my list if I was there. Just looking and listening to the crowd reaction to the TD, as well as the boys, and the last play and knowing the results of 1984-1988 just tells you that the sheer explosion is from a buildup of 5 truly miserable years against those fuckers. If ever someone asks you what "catharsis" means, show this video.

EDIT: I seem to remember someone telling a story about this game in the hornfans days that when the bands marched to their seats (this was back when they were in the actual stands and not those folding chairs in the back of the field), we sent half our band first, the Sooners came, then to everyone's surprise the other half of the LHB came in behind that. Can anyone confirm this?

yes.  Not every year, but most years I was there we would.  You can see it in this video, the half that started pre-game on the home side had already come in and was on the sidelines, this starts with the other half marching in.

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

For me, nothing will top 2008. Both were top 5. The crowd atmosphere was unbelievable. Especially when this play happened, one of my favorite moments in this rivalry.

It's this one for me.  Was right in corner there were Shipley caught the ball.  I think this was the year the stadium expanded and both crowds were rumbling.  Took an hour to get out of the stadium, but we were in no rush.  After the game, Kindle grabbed my wife out of the stands and carried her on his shoulders toward the band until security poked him.

Also, It's amazing to watch Shipley highlights.  He is a freaking ghost with the ball in his hands and this is the perfect clip to show it.

Edited by JBJ

2005 for me.

5 game losing streak against them going into the game.  We scored right before halftime and it was like a huge release of tension from all of those horrible losses.  The entire 2nd half was basically a victory party in the stands.  BOMAR-ED!

Edited by elguapo

My top 5 favorite:

2008 - Great success! 

2005 - We mudholed the gooners and Bomar shared gagging on dicks that day with Bob

2013 - Pulled the upset and never trailed in Mack's last Red River Shootout. Also, Case balled out and dropped the hammer. Defense manhandled the "Belldozer." 

1992 - Peter Gardere became the first and only QB to go a perfect 4-0 against Blow U

1999 - Down 17-0 and came storming back to win 38-28. 

In chronological order:

1991 -- My first TX-OU game, Bubba Jacques scooped up a fumble after a sack of Cale Gundy and ran it back for the only Texas TD in a 10-7 win

1994 -- Stonie Clark stuffs James Allen at the goal line in James Brown's start

1998 -- Ricky Williams runs wild on the Sooners

1999 -- UT trails 17-0 early and we roar back to win in the first Mack-Stoops matchup

2005 -- We finally break a five-game losing streak to Sooners

2008 -- Jordan Shipley and the Horns beat #1 OU 45-35 (might be my favorite TX-OU game ever) -- got fucking destroyed during the game with a best buddy

2013 -- One year after getting eviscerated (down 36-2 at the half), Case McCoy leads to us an amazing ass-whipping of the Sooners (this was especially sweet because my wife -- then my GF -- and I went to our first TX-OU game the previous year (the aforementioned ass-whipping) and I caught her doing "Boomer Sooner" -- she has Sooner family members -- at one point in the first half and we damn near broke up on the Midway after I bailed on the game at halftime)

12 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

1994 Stoney.

reason is simple.... in my 4 years on the 40 acres, that was the only fucking time we beat those assholes.  Plus I was sitting directly on the fucking goal line for that play.  Got Damn Stoney trucked that fool.

Who was #40 who stayed home and did a nice job of forcing Allen inside so that Stonie could put the wood to him?  If #40 crashes or does something else stupid, OU scores on that play.  I love the hit Case delivered, but he wouldn't have even had the opportunity if #40 hadn't done his job.  I can't make out  his name on his jersey cuz the video quality isn't the greatest, and I can't find a 1989 Texas roster with numbers on the interwebs.

Edited by Carl Spackler

6 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Who was #40 who stayed home and did a nice job of forcing Allen inside so that Stonie could put the wood to him?  If #40 crashes or does something else stupid, OU scores on that play.  I love the hit Case delivered, but he wouldn't have even had the opportunity if #40 hadn't done his job.  I can't make out  his name on his jersey cuz the video quality isn't the greatest, and I can't find a 1989 Texas roster with numbers on the interwebs.

Stoney was 1994. thats probably your first issue :)

answer is Robert Reed, OLB

• Like 1

2008. Down 14-3, felt like we were fucked. Once kick returns are done away with altogether, I’ll forever remind people how they used to change the game. Shipley & Quan may have been our best WR tandem ever.

At the end of the game, up 10, I was still on the edge of the bleacher. Realized after some thought and scoreboard examination that we had it, they couldn’t come back. Sweet feeling.

Edited by The Earl of Texas

Stonie- mutherfuckin'-clark!  That was some euphoric shit!  Easily the most memorable single play I can remember from the series.  

After that, 2005.  Wife was waddling around, pregnant with our son.  Her fat ass got up and was screaming and yelling all game!  She gave zero fucks that day.  Awesome!

13 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Interesting article on the 1976 tie game (my 2nd as a student) and the earlier accusations of OU spying on our practices.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2018/10/2/17927318/oct-9-1976-texas-ou-as-blood-sport

Ahh...srr50.  Such good stuff. 

2008 was unforgettable.  I remember walking into the stadium about 45 minutes before kickoff, going into section 6 at the 50 (nowhere near our real seats), and going down to the first row, and looking up and around the newly renovated Bowl, which was now a complete bowl, and thinking to myself:  "This mother fucker is going to be really loud now."  And it was.  The game itself was incredible, punctuated by Ogbonnaya going for 62 late in the 4Q. 

I know the Stony play in '94 was about as loud as it gets but it may have been topped by this in '90.  Loudest I've ever heard a Texas / OU game:

2013. I spent all week listening to Oklahoma sports talk radio and these guys were so goddamn arrogant. Weren't even talking about a potential OU loss, it was about the game next week because Texas was going to be a cake walk. Case McCoy gave an interview where he said that he could be remembered for the rest of his life for a great game against OU and that was all I needed to hear. Texas fans were putting their seats up cheap so I bought front row for $70 and put $1000 on Texas +13.5 against the spread. Won the bet, won the game, and got laid that night. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

2013. I spent all week listening to Oklahoma sports talk radio and these guys were so goddamn arrogant. Weren't even talking about a potential OU loss, it was about the game next week because Texas was going to be a cake walk. Case McCoy gave an interview where he said that he could be remembered for the rest of his life for a great game against OU and that was all I needed to hear. Texas fans were putting their seats up cheap so I bought front row for $70 and put $1000 on Texas +13.5 against the spread. Won the bet, won the game, and got laid that night. 

Congrats on the sex

On 10/2/2018 at 8:33 PM, C-Man said:

In chronological order:

1991 -- My first TX-OU game, Bubba Jacques scooped up a fumble after a sack of Cale Gundy and ran it back for the only Texas TD in a 10-7 win

1994 -- Stonie Clark stuffs James Allen at the goal line in James Brown's start

1998 -- Ricky Williams runs wild on the Sooners

1999 -- UT trails 17-0 early and we roar back to win in the first Mack-Stoops matchup

2005 -- We finally break a five-game losing streak to Sooners

2008 -- Jordan Shipley and the Horns beat #1 OU 45-35 (might be my favorite TX-OU game ever) -- got fucking destroyed during the game with a best buddy

2013 -- One year after getting eviscerated (down 36-2 at the half), Case McCoy leads to us an amazing ass-whipping of the Sooners (this was especially sweet because my wife -- then my GF -- and I went to our first TX-OU game the previous year (the aforementioned ass-whipping) and I caught her doing "Boomer Sooner" -- she has Sooner family members -- at one point in the first half and we damn near broke up on the Midway after I bailed on the game at halftime)

My favorite and my first was 1992. Right at the goal line for the stuff on student side for my girlfriends (now wife) first football game.

2013 is my second favorite and my latest for now. I took my brother and law and as the thing built up to a crescendo right before kick-off he said wow things are getting heated. I said yea and this half thinks it is going to lose. Can you imagine when both sides have everything on the line and both have no doubt they will win. We went on to crush OU that day.

2013 is in my top 5, as it was the most unlikely win during my time as a Longhorn fan.  Think about where we were leading up to that game -- we got crushed by BYU and promptly fired our DC, then got stomped by Ole Miss at home, and barely survived at Iowa State with a 1-point win (that Cyclone team ultimately finished with a 3-9 record).  We also had gotten ridiculously embarrassed by the Sooners the prior two years by a combined score of 118-38.  And then days before the game we all got a chuckle out of this:

GentleColdBittern-small.gif

So many other years in which Texas had been an underdog, many Longhorn fans still went into the game thinking we have a chance.  This is one of those years.  But not 2013.  I recall most reasonable Longhorn fans looked at a team in utter disarray with their coach headed out the door and thought we'd be lucky to keep it within three touchdowns. 

And then somehow we managed to sprinkle some magical herp-derp dust on the Cotton Bowl field and this wild shit happens:

2013-10-1209_45_50.gif

2013-10-1210_19_58.gif

texaspr.gif

ut.gif?w=1000

• Like 1

For me, nothing will top 2008. Both were top 5. The crowd atmosphere was unbelievable. Especially when this play happened, one of my favorite moments in this rivalry.

I don't even have to watch it to know...END ZONE AHEAD FOLKS!

Mine remains my first one 1990.  The blowu kicker RD Lashar (dude had a permed mullett for Christ sakes) had a last second, game winning kick that he hooked.  The kick was into the south endzone and the UT crowd thought it was good at first.  Then the refs signaled no good and the UT crowd erupted.  Everyone threw their drinks into the air.  An okie granny flipped me the bird on the way out.  It was glorious.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTebjS_dOKljjq725UzSnA

• Like 1

Yeah, after leaving the 2012 game in the 2nd quarter I vowed to end my 17 year attendance streak if Mack was still coach because after another blowout he clearly didn't care as much as me.  I blame shaggy influence for the decision to skip 2013, but yeah, nobody could have predicted that beatdown.

I also missed 2014 due to wife having surgery, so I should bump 2015 up in my rankings.  Since it had been 3 yrs since attending and 6 yrs since seeing a win, we really had a blast remembering how great of day it is when the good guys win.

• Like 1