Adding to the pit bull argument

Beau Vine

Agree on the brief period to back down. Several years ago ee had a pit come just inside our gate growling and barking. Granted,  our gate is about 60 yards from the house, but I  found this strange and highly aggressive considering the distance. I  went back in the house for a minute figuring it would go on. Nope, just kept creeping closer to the house. So I went and t
retrieved my AR and went back on the porch and fired a warning shot by his front that only pissed it off(30 yds.) Next shot, no warning, right between the eyes. Fuck pits.

Fuck warning shots. Ammo is expensive.
  • Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Agree on the brief period to back down. Several years ago ee had a pit come just inside our gate growling and barking. Granted,  our gate is about 60 yards from the house, but I  found this strange and highly aggressive considering the distance. I  went back in the house for a minute figuring it would go on. Nope, just kept creeping closer to the house. So I went and t

retrieved my AR and went back on the porch and fired a warning shot by his front that only pissed it off(30 yds.) Next shot, no warning, right between the eyes. Fuck pits.

In rural areas packs of wild dogs are a 'shoot on site and ask questions later' kind of problem.  They threaten livestock, smaller pets, even people.  They can go feral in a hurry and everyone takes for granted the amount of damage they can do.  

The three S's

• Shoot 
  • Shovel
  • Shaddup
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 2/23/2023 at 10:38 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

You’re right, but there are always other dogs in the shelter. Imagine being a gentle mutt and seeing that pit dog bully getting adopted before you. That would be a huge blow to your self esteem. 

Go down to town lake animal shelter and tell me how many non pit/pit mixes you see. I took my kids down there to get a dog (like I did just after college) and the overwhelming majority of dogs had pit in them. I was told by the employees that they didn’t have any dogs that they would feel comfortable introducing to children on site. I’m a huge animal lover but we seriously need to stop treating pit bulls like they are in the same category as poodles or labs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Go down to town lake animal shelter and tell me how many non pit/pit mixes you see. I took my kids down there to get a dog (like I did just after college) and the overwhelming majority of dogs had pit in them. I was told by the employees that they didn’t have any dogs that they would feel comfortable introducing to children on site. I’m a huge animal lover but we seriously need to stop treating pit bulls like they are in the same category as poodles or labs.

Wow, that’s a whole different scenario from where I live. All of my daughters have volunteered at our animal shelter, and they didn’t see very many pit bulls or pit mixes. There must be several reasons why pit bulls are sent to the shelter and remain there, but I can’t think of one.

Yes, I’m being facetious. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

At the San Marcos animal shelter, it's 0% non-pit mixes.  I looked for several months when we were dogless and didn't even see a chihuahua mix.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

At the San Marcos animal shelter, it's 0% non-pit mixes.  I looked for several months when we were dogless and didn't even see a chihuahua mix.

0%. Tremendous statistical oddity. 

20 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Can’t add article for some reason but wife said it wasn’t his fault.   He followed every protocol

People who have aggressive dogs are shocked when the dogs suddenly revert back to their aggressive nature. The previous bite cases should've been a huge red flag that the dogs shitheads.

"Sorry but these dangerous dogs have never been dangerous"

...until they were.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/wife-of-man-charged-with-dogs-deadly-west-side-attack-defends-him/273-c3358dc8-4197-45e7-a08c-50ff2fd2ae36

SAN ANTONIO — The wife of a man charged with his dogs' deadly attack last Friday is defending her husband, and said he is not to blame for what happened.

She is also apologizing to the victim's family.

"From the bottom of our hearts, we're sorry... but my husband is not responsible," Abilene Moreno said.

She said her husband, 31-year-old Christian Moreno, did everything by the book to keep their dogs, who were Staffordshire terriers, from escaping their property on Depla Street.

Now, her husband is behind bars on felony charges after the dogs killed 81-year-old Ramon Najera outside of their home's fence and injured three others.

On Sunday, Moreno showed KENS 5 how her dogs, named King, Snow and Legend, escaped from their yard. Moreno said the dogs pushed down the fence near where Najera exited his car.

Moreno said she and her husband weren't home at the time, but before they left, the couple harnessed, tethered and locked the dogs behind the gate.

"We were coming back and I saw the dogs behind the gate but they were covered in blood," said Moreno.

When the couple returned home, the dogs were out of their harnesses. First responders told them their dogs King and Snow had attacked four people, killing one.

"It's traumatizing to see my dogs that I have raised since they were puppies do that to somebody," she said.

Her heart goes out to the victim's wife, who was also severely bitten but lived. Moreno said the dogs were never raised to be aggressive.

"We never hit them, neglect them, never abused them," she said.

Moreno did admit the dogs have a history of escaping the yard. She said her husband is quick to fix any holes the dogs dig up. She also confirmed Animal Care Services' claims that King and Snow have been involved in two bite cases in the neighborhood. King was involved in one case while Snow had been involved in both cases. 

The most recent bite case was last month, and ACS took the dogs into custody as part of policy. 

At that point, Moreno said her husband didn't want King or Snow back. He was happy with keeping Legend and the litter of puppies Snow recently birthed. However, the couple's kids wanted the dogs home.

Before that could happen, Moreno said ACS wanted to sterilize the dogs and proceeded with the procedure. When the dogs returned home, Moreno said the dogs were fine but then later showed more signs of aggression. She even asked ACS best practices for keeping the dogs harnessed and tethered in the yard.

However, Moreno agreed with her husband to take the dogs back to ACS due to their behavior.

"I was like, these dogs aren't for us anymore," Moreno said.

But before they could, the deadly attack happened.

KENS 5 reached out to ACS. and they said the dogs' sterilization had nothing to do with the bite incident. They said "allowing their pets to roam has a direct correlation to this bite incident."

Now, Moreno said the family has no pets. They surrendered Legend and the rest of the puppies late Friday. With her husband in jail, Moreno is fearful of being in the neighborhood.

"Because of people saying certain things, threats from neighbors," she said.

Moreno is focused on paying her husband's bond to get him out of jail. Until then, he is expected to appear in court on March 28 for a pre-hearing.

"We're sorry for everything that happened and we never intended for anybody to get hurt," she said.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

People who have aggressive dogs are shocked when the dogs suddenly revert back to their aggressive nature. The previous bite cases should've been a huge red flag that the dogs shitheads.

"Sorry but these dangerous dogs have never been dangerous"

...until they were.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/local/wife-of-man-charged-with-dogs-deadly-west-side-attack-defends-him/273-c3358dc8-4197-45e7-a08c-50ff2fd2ae36

SAN ANTONIO — The wife of a man charged with his dogs' deadly attack last Friday is defending her husband, and said he is not to blame for what happened.

She is also apologizing to the victim's family.

"From the bottom of our hearts, we're sorry... but my husband is not responsible," Abilene Moreno said.

She said her husband, 31-year-old Christian Moreno, did everything by the book to keep their dogs, who were Staffordshire terriers, from escaping their property on Depla Street.

Now, her husband is behind bars on felony charges after the dogs killed 81-year-old Ramon Najera outside of their home's fence and injured three others.

On Sunday, Moreno showed KENS 5 how her dogs, named King, Snow and Legend, escaped from their yard. Moreno said the dogs pushed down the fence near where Najera exited his car.

Moreno said she and her husband weren't home at the time, but before they left, the couple harnessed, tethered and locked the dogs behind the gate.

"We were coming back and I saw the dogs behind the gate but they were covered in blood," said Moreno.

When the couple returned home, the dogs were out of their harnesses. First responders told them their dogs King and Snow had attacked four people, killing one.

"It's traumatizing to see my dogs that I have raised since they were puppies do that to somebody," she said.

Her heart goes out to the victim's wife, who was also severely bitten but lived. Moreno said the dogs were never raised to be aggressive.

"We never hit them, neglect them, never abused them," she said.

Moreno did admit the dogs have a history of escaping the yard. She said her husband is quick to fix any holes the dogs dig up. She also confirmed Animal Care Services' claims that King and Snow have been involved in two bite cases in the neighborhood. King was involved in one case while Snow had been involved in both cases. 

The most recent bite case was last month, and ACS took the dogs into custody as part of policy. 

At that point, Moreno said her husband didn't want King or Snow back. He was happy with keeping Legend and the litter of puppies Snow recently birthed. However, the couple's kids wanted the dogs home.

Before that could happen, Moreno said ACS wanted to sterilize the dogs and proceeded with the procedure. When the dogs returned home, Moreno said the dogs were fine but then later showed more signs of aggression. She even asked ACS best practices for keeping the dogs harnessed and tethered in the yard.

However, Moreno agreed with her husband to take the dogs back to ACS due to their behavior.

"I was like, these dogs aren't for us anymore," Moreno said.

But before they could, the deadly attack happened.

KENS 5 reached out to ACS. and they said the dogs' sterilization had nothing to do with the bite incident. They said "allowing their pets to roam has a direct correlation to this bite incident."

Now, Moreno said the family has no pets. They surrendered Legend and the rest of the puppies late Friday. With her husband in jail, Moreno is fearful of being in the neighborhood.

"Because of people saying certain things, threats from neighbors," she said.

Moreno is focused on paying her husband's bond to get him out of jail. Until then, he is expected to appear in court on March 28 for a pre-hearing.

"We're sorry for everything that happened and we never intended for anybody to get hurt," she said.

Gonna be honest, I believe her.  They probably didn't abuse those dogs.  Like I've said, they have hair trigger tempers.  Doesn't mean that there aren't owners who are POS's that beat them.

Tied the dogs up in the yard. Can't imagine why the fuck they are aggressive? I thought we passed a law against that shit?

They were interviewing a neighbor on the radio and he said the dogs attacked someone in January, and two weeks later, the city gave them back. I hope San Antonio gets the shit sued out of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Can’t add article for some reason but wife said it wasn’t his fault.   He followed every protocol

If that is true, then that proves it's the breed and not the owner. The breed is too dangerous for anyone to own and should be illegal.

33 minutes ago, Deej said:

Tied the dogs up in the yard. Can't imagine why the fuck they are aggressive? I thought we passed a law against that shit?

They were interviewing a neighbor on the radio and he said the dogs attacked someone in January, and two weeks later, the city gave them back. I hope San Antonio gets the shit sued out of them. 

I think that's dangerous dog protocol unfortunately.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

It was his fault. He owned a pit. If I were you I personally wouldn’t step foot in your sister’s house. Regardless of whether I had kids. 

It's beside the point, but how about crating the fucking dogs in your house when you are out instead of chaining them to ground or whatever.  My 70lb aussie is strong a hell and I could imagine her pulling up any sort stake in the ground given enough time.  But she's perfectly calm in her crate.  

Not advocating for this but is mandatory liability insurance for dog owners next?  Seems like there are enough grifting opportunities for the lawmakers to get it done.  must have a doggy DNA test to determine 'bad breed' % and your rate is based on that.  Dogs would need to be chipped showing proof of ins updated every year by the vets.  Vets would run a service like the car inspection places.  Dog cops would walk the beat with a chip reader and issue citations at dog parks and neighborhood sidewalks.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

It's beside the point, but how about crating the fucking dogs in your house when you are out instead of chaining them to ground or whatever.  My 70lb aussie is strong a hell and I could imagine her pulling up any sort stake in the ground given enough time.  But she's perfectly calm in her crate.  

Not advocating for this but is mandatory liability insurance for dog owners next?  Seems like there are enough grifting opportunities for the lawmakers to get it done.  must have a doggy DNA test to determine 'bad breed' % and your rate is based on that.  Dogs would need to be chipped showing proof of ins updated every year by the vets.  Vets would run a service like the car inspection places.  Dog cops would walk the beat with a chip reader and issue citations at dog parks and neighborhood sidewalks.  

I'm gonna draw two circles. One is the 2nd amendment "obama gonna take all my guns" crowd, and the other is the ones who would get pissed at this. 

They're the same circle. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm gonna draw two circles. One is the 2nd amendment "obama gonna take all my guns" crowd, and the other is the ones who would get pissed at this. 

They're the same circle. 

They’d be largely independent with very little overlap. I think both groups are ridiculous but the latter group’s opinion shouldn’t matter. If we were to go that route, they should feel lucky we instead aren’t indiscriminately euthanizing these breeds. 

I’m miffed my town doesn’t have an ordinance that outlaws these breeds. However there is probably never a need to do so. 

14 hours ago, chainsaw said:

If that is true, then that proves it's the breed and not the owner. The breed is too dangerous for anyone to own and should be illegal.

Novel thought...why the fuck have an animal as a "pet" that you have to chain up to keep it from going on a killing spree? What the fuck is the point of having said pit or any dangerous dog as a "pet"?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Novel thought...why the fuck have an animal as a "pet" that you have to chain up to keep it from going on a killing spree? What the fuck is the point of having said pit or any dangerous dog as a "pet"?

Gotta keep it real yo

20 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Unfortunately, that's trashy people protocol.

• 4 weeks later...

gawd. i didn't need to see that. i have an awful, traumatic story from our recent Texas visit...

so my dad has a pretty constant 'pack' out at his place in east Texas. an older dog will die (or there's an occasional car hit, or encounter with a hog or something), but people (i.e. assholes) are constantly driving out to the country and dumping dogs that then find their way to his place... and he is the biggest 'dog' person i know, for real. so of course he takes them in. he lives alone and they bring him tremendous joy.

his one rule is 'leave the cows alone' so the only time he takes one of the dogs to the shelter is if they just won't leave the cows alone. 

all his dogs (at least a dozen over the years) really are the sweetest, most lovable, playful, gentle dogs ever. i mean imagine a porch full of four or five big lunkhead goofy country dogs...that's his 'pack'. and I think the pack does a great job of moderating any aggressive outlying behavior amongst themselves. the alpha is the biggest, oldest male, Tank, on the left here...a gentle giant. Tank, Maggie, and Lucy...

20201112_202838.thumb.jpg.3b193239497e0c6245fe80196debbf8d.jpg

anyways... it's also real convenient for his friends to bring their dogs over and leave them there for a 'visit' basically any time 🙄 (i.e. take advantage of his generosity but of course he doesn't see it that way but whatever, i'm not living there).

here's a shot from a while back just to show what it frequently looks like at his place...

20220224_201228.thumb.jpg.e7fa30352fb66b516243bc2905a8f6f9.jpg

in case you're counting... that's seven dogs. you can only see the face of the one in the very back, by the blue cooler...the black and white pit named Maggie (not to be confused with my Maggie, RIP, who is the little dachsund in front).

ANYway...last week one of his friends dropped her dogs off for the afternoon, one of which was a little lapdog type, pekingese or shitzu kinda mix. all dogs were hanging in the yard...

my dad and husband were inside the house, my dad does what he normally does with foodscraps and whatnot and tosses some shit out to them. i mean he does that multiple times a day, they're country dogs. they suddenly hear this horrific screaming, rush outside...the little dog Duchess is in the yard with Maggie, her jaw, the entire bottom of her face, is just hanging by skin, blood everywhere. other dogs are on the porch looking sheepish and agitated, Maggie has kind of wandered off a bit in the yard and is just sitting watching. 

nobody saw what happened, but she has shown food aggression towards little dogs before. in fact... she tried to jump MY Maggie (the dachsund) a couple of years ago in a similar situation, and she was old and blind and didn't even know food was around, she was just walking across the room!

my sister and i both had a fit back then and tried to convince my dad his Maggie had aggression issues with little dogs and to not do that (toss them all food) when they were around... but he's the type that is all 'awww she's a sweetheart, she'd never hurt a fly!'

anyway... he's not saying that anymore 😝 but it's too late for little Duchess who had to be put down.

ugh. it was horrible. and her owner was basically just like my dad: it was an accident, Maggie is a sweet girl. hell, she was loving on Maggie after they got back from the vet with Duchess' dried blood on her shirt, WTF!! country people are fucking different. 

yeah, she's a fucking sweetheart until there's a little dog in the vicinity of food. i mean no, she's never shown an ounce of aggression with any of the big dogs...but she bit Duchess' face off and she tried to bite my Maggie's head off and only didn't bc i happened to be right there and i kicked the shit out of her. gotdamn it!

TL/DR my dad's 'sweetheart' pit bit a little dog's face off and now i get to worry if she suddenly will one day decide to do the same to my dad 😕

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, mchookem said:

gawd. i didn't need to see that. i have an awful, traumatic story from our recent Texas visit...

so my dad has a pretty constant 'pack' out at his place in east Texas. an older dog will die (or there's an occasional car hit, or encounter with a hog or something), but people (i.e. assholes) are constantly driving out to the country and dumping dogs that then find their way to his place... and he is the biggest 'dog' person i know, for real. so of course he takes them in. he lives alone and they bring him tremendous joy.

his one rule is 'leave the cows alone' so the only time he takes one of the dogs to the shelter is if they just won't leave the cows alone. 

all his dogs (at least a dozen over the years) really are the sweetest, most lovable, playful, gentle dogs ever. i mean imagine a porch full of four or five big lunkhead goofy country dogs...that's his 'pack'. and I think the pack does a great job of moderating any aggressive outlying behavior amongst themselves. the alpha is the biggest, oldest male, Tank, on the left here...a gentle giant. Tank, Maggie, and Lucy...

20201112_202838.thumb.jpg.3b193239497e0c6245fe80196debbf8d.jpg

anyways... it's also real convenient for his friends to bring their dogs over and leave them there for a 'visit' basically any time 🙄 (i.e. take advantage of his generosity but of course he doesn't see it that way but whatever, i'm not living there).

here's a shot from a while back just to show what it frequently looks like at his place...

20220224_201228.thumb.jpg.e7fa30352fb66b516243bc2905a8f6f9.jpg

in case you're counting... that's seven dogs. you can only see the face of the one in the very back, by the blue cooler...the black and white pit named Maggie (not to be confused with my Maggie, RIP, who is the little dachsund in front).

ANYway...last week one of his friends dropped her dogs off for the afternoon, one of which was a little lapdog type, pekingese or shitzu kinda mix. all dogs were hanging in the yard...

my dad and husband were inside the house, my dad does what he normally does with foodscraps and whatnot and tosses some shit out to them. i mean he does that multiple times a day, they're country dogs. they suddenly hear this horrific screaming, rush outside...the little dog Duchess is in the yard with Maggie, her jaw, the entire bottom of her face, is just hanging by skin, blood everywhere. other dogs are on the porch looking sheepish and agitated, Maggie has kind of wandered off a bit in the yard and is just sitting watching. 

nobody saw what happened, but she has shown food aggression towards little dogs before. in fact... she tried to jump MY Maggie (the dachsund) a couple of years ago in a similar situation, and she was old and blind and didn't even know food was around, she was just walking across the room!

my sister and i both had a fit back then and tried to convince my dad his Maggie had aggression issues with little dogs and to not do that (toss them all food) when they were around... but he's the type that is all 'awww she's a sweetheart, she'd never hurt a fly!'

anyway... he's not saying that anymore 😝 but it's too late for little Duchess who had to be put down.

ugh. it was horrible. and her owner was basically just like my dad: it was an accident, Maggie is a sweet girl. hell, she was loving on Maggie after they got back from the vet with Duchess' dried blood on her shirt, WTF!! country people are fucking different. 

yeah, she's a fucking sweetheart until there's a little dog in the vicinity of food. i mean no, she's never shown an ounce of aggression with any of the big dogs...but she bit Duchess' face off and she tried to bite my Maggie's head off and only didn't bc i happened to be right there and i kicked the shit out of her. gotdamn it!

TL/DR my dad's 'sweetheart' pit bit a little dog's face off and now i get to worry if she suddenly will one day decide to do the same to my dad 😕

Holy cow.  Gotta put Maggie down.  

he absolutely won't. not even debatable.

he will hopefully at least be more mindful of tossing beef bones and pig's ears and whatnot out to them all when there are 'guest' dogs visiting. but putting her down or even taking her to a shelter is not even up for discussion. maddening.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Dogs like humans can change.  Imo a dog can be a good dog but can also go crazy. Just like a human can

The difference is what type of damage a dog that snaps or gets in a bad mood can do. Any dog can hurt you badly under the right circumstances (a chihuahua that really takes a bit out of your face can case all kinds of plastic surgery bills).  But only a few are capable of killing, all by themselves, a child or an elderly person, much less a healthy adult that wants to get away. That San Antonio story pissed me off to no end. IMO any dog that’s off-leash, out of its yard,  and breaks skin with a bite should simply be destroyed, no questions asked. If you own dogs and have more than one bite incident in a five year period, all your dogs should be destroyed.  And I’m a dog owner and lover.

I have posted before, fuck these dogs, they need to be rounded up and destroyed. They are not needed to preserve biodiversity or ecological balance. People created them for a specific purpose that is no longer legal. They don’t need to exist There are hundreds of breeds of wonderful companion animals, nothing will be lost by simply eliminating these breed(s). 

• Hook 'Em 4

This is also the only breed(s) we accept the “don’t attribute it to the breed” bullshit.  A beagle wandering off following its nose? A lab that wants to jump in every pond and puddle? A collie that herds kids around the kitchen? A pointer who points at pigeons? No one will protest, and all those owners will say “yeah, that tracks, it’s the breed.” 

A dog bred for dogfighting bites people and animals? AlL dOgS aRe InDiViDuAlS!?

• Hook 'Em 6

Blue, my husky/heeler mix was set off by any dog that showed timidity, yet bared their teeth. As soon as she saw the lips curl, she would instantly flip them on their back and go at them. She didn't bite, but would be in full on snarl with teeth bared. Penny is the alpha of the two and she started rushing in and throwing her full weight into Blue, knocking her off the other dogs. It is now to the point where Blue starts her move, then stops and turns around looking for the 65 pound missle that is about to slam into her.