Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Ldogg53

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Roller Rink was excellent. Monkey was a pretty average to bad episode. 

Pretty strong start to Season 15. 3 of the 4 have been good. Lethal Weapon 7 was probably the best episode in 5 years. Maybe more. 

Is there a reason they’re running two episodes a week? Is it some dumb ass record thing to squeeze in a complete season before the end of 2021? 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

monkey episode just made really wish that Lagunitas was still making Brown Shugga. it looked just like the special monkey beer, and at 10% abv it had that same knockout power that the monkey beer had. damn it, now i want some all over again. 

I haven’t had a beer in 6 years, but that was definitely a different, tastier beer than they usually pour and i though we were going to discover that they… didn’t know about the other beer they have on tap? I think monkey episode just gets us to Ireland for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve never seen a single episode of this show. Is it something you can just pick up at the beginning and start binging?

Yes and No.

Danny DeVito didn't come into the show until later, and I wouldn't watch S1 again.  You could jump around and still find most of it funny, but there's a shitload of references to characters/events from past shows which makes it even funnier.

The Sunny guys have started a podcast and they sound like they would agree not to go back and watch S1 (though I did when I megabinged the show in record time and had no complaints).

FWIW probably my favorite episode is The Gang Hits the Slopes as it not only shows them in top form but it’s also such a specific niche homage and parody of the very specific and niche genre of ski sex comedy movies.

I would agree with skip season 1, you’re not missing any important world building that you can’t figure out later on when they got their bearings a bit and added Danny Devito.

I’d probably start at season 2. I think it hits peak in season 4 and 5 but there’s a lot of quality throughout. 

My favorite episode is The Gang Quarantines, but I think the best episode is The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve never seen a single episode of this show. Is it something you can just pick up at the beginning and start binging?

its really almost non-sequential.  watch anything you want at any time.  i dont really keep track of season by season but generally 1-7 are great and it sorta fell off for me

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Thanks for all the replies. I’m gonna have some down time in January and look forward to watching. I think I can get it on Hulu or something. 

yeah it's on hulu. i would just tell you to start on season two and just go from there. as far as skipping around goes, it won't hurt you in terms of missing out on crucial plot points or anything, but i still don't recommend it, because every member of the gang has their own personal character quirks that become funnier and funnier over time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Season 1 is only 7 episodes and I like it a lot, just know that it gets exponentially better when Danny Devito joins the cast. There is some world building in the first season too that is worthwhile. They can be enjoyed out of order but I've noticed on rewatching that there is a lot of continuity and character building outside the main cast that pays off as you progress. I would definitely suggest watching them in order. Also, it the middle to late seasons, there is social commentary that went way over my head the first watch and even some rewatches. The "Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award" is a commentary that I literally did not catch until recently. It's a hilarious episode even without that context. Just be on the lookout for commentary that shows how good the writing is on the show.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

As someone who started between seasons 3 & 4, my introduction was watching in chronological order.  I was IMMEDIATELY hooked and found season 1 fucking hilarious.  It's a different show, in large part to DeVito not being involved, and the character roles being a little different.  

I do think it's worth watching if you're starting from scratch.  There isn't so much continuity, but there's some key world building and character development.  You meet the McPoyles, you get established with Mac's issues with religion and sexuality, Dee very quickly goes from voice of reason to co-conspirator, the unrequited feelings between Charlie and The Waitress are established, etc.

It goes up a notch at season 2, and then takes a huge leap in season 3.  Seasons 3-5 are the show at it's absolute best.  Season 5 is probably the best season of a comedy show ever, in my opinion.  From there on they maintain a balance of about 2/3 episodes being really good.  The worst seasons are probably down are 50/50, with the 14th season being a little tough without Glenn around as much.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

@Buzzrock Do not skip season 1.  The show is good from the start, even without Devito.  You'll be doing yourself a disservice.

Season 1 they're still kind of finding their groove, but the chemistry is good from the start and the consistency is better than the majority of the last 4 or 5 seasons where many episodes are very hit or miss. It's not like it's a bad show just because Devito isn't there yet.  The underage drinking one where they all go to prom is a classic, and like AI_4_ISU said, you'll miss a lot of world building with the characters' origins.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 4