Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Ldogg53

On 6/24/2023 at 8:46 AM, miguelito said:

I laughed at all the new ones.  You know what you're getting into, just watch them do their thing.

Dennis has some great looks and reactions. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The whole scene where Mac is explaining "Johnny" at the beginning is just stolen by Dennis on the verge of breaking the entire time.

• Haha 1

First episode was approaching greatness. Second to last episode was pretty good.

I think this what I’ve come to expect. 1 great episode per season, and hit and miss on the other 7 to 9 episodes.

The Cranston and Paul episode might be the low point of the series. The only thing I smiled at was Mac’s Michael Jordan suit. 

I’ll continue to watch because it’s the summer. 

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I'm catching up this season.  Just got through "Frank vs Russia."  Frank's reactions when the "buzzer" goes off had me rolling.  Loved that episode.

I will watch Frank/DeVito in anything and everything he ever does. I fucking love Danny DeVito.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Them thinking that Aaron Paul is Malcolm and that Cranston’s fame is from that show is damn hilarious to me. 

yeah this was by far the best episode of the season for me. the mj suit and the gang thinking that aaron paul is malcolm are the two funniest moments of the season for me. it wasn't great, but it was fine. it certainly wasn't anywhere close to the low point of the series (frank's brother, the female boggs episode, most of the last several seasons, etc have all been much worse imo). meanwhile everyone else's favorite episode is literally just one repeated joke about frank having vibrating anal beads up his ass. i guess there is no accounting for taste. 

Just caught up to the most recent episode and yeah I think I'm done with this show. Too much of this "meta" bullshit going on and it reeks of laziness. The podcast is about to wrap up their season 5 episodes anyway so now is the perfect time for me to bow out and remember the show for what it was rather than what it is right now. 

On 7/2/2023 at 9:14 PM, shadow_operative said:

yeah this was by far the best episode of the season for me. the mj suit and the gang thinking that aaron paul is malcolm are the two funniest moments of the season for me. it wasn't great, but it was fine. it certainly wasn't anywhere close to the low point of the series (frank's brother, the female boggs episode, most of the last several seasons, etc have all been much worse imo). 

Couterpoints:

Frank's Brother is a freaking tour-de-force of absurdity. Just having Danny DeVito play himself as like a 19-year-old just wearing his "go out" wig is all you need to know. Then there's the whole "Shady Nasty" thing and then the reveal at the end when everyone is old... it's fucking weird and absurd and ridiculous and hilarious.

I understand why some people don't like the Female Boggs or a lot of the recent episodes just because they are veering in different directions with the comedy... e.g. the Female Boggs episode is a pretty blatant satire of female re-boots of classic movies, all the way down to the episode itself being intentionally not as good as the original.

They've done lots of episodes like that over the past several years where they are trying to something very dryly satirical on a specific topic; stuff that is more "clever" vs. laugh out loud funny.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

what's strange to me is how many people here seem to have drawn the line with this season as the point where the show jumped the shark, when in reality this season has been no different from the last, i dunno, 3, 5, 6 seasons? in fact i've enjoyed a couple of this season's episodes more than i have any episode of the most recent seasons. the idea at bat this season is noticeably different/worse than other seasons is confusing to me. 

Edited by shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Couterpoints:

Frank's Brother is a freaking tour-de-force of absurdity. Just having Danny DeVito play himself as like a 19-year-old just wearing his "go out" wig is all you need to know. Then there's the whole "Shady Nasty" thing and then the reveal at the end when everyone is old... it's fucking weird and absurd and ridiculous and hilarious.

I understand why some people don't like the Female Boggs or a lot of the recent episodes just because they are veering in different directions with the comedy... e.g. the Female Boggs episode is a pretty blatant satire of female re-boots of classic movies, all the way down to the episode itself being intentionally not as good as the original.

They've done lots of episodes like that over the past several years where they are trying to something very dryly satirical on a specific topic; stuff that is more "clever" vs. laugh out loud funny.  

Yeah, and there are still enough legitimately funny moments (even this season) that it's worth it for me to tune in.  I won't rewatch a lot of these episodes, but the good ones I definitely will.

Just now, shadow_operative said:

what's strange to me is how many people here seem to have drawn the line with this season as the point where the show jumped the shark, when in reality this season has been just about exactly the last, i dunno, 3, 5, 6 seasons? in fact i've enjoyed a couple of this season's episodes more than i have any episode of the most recent seasons. the idea at bat this season is noticeably different/worse than other seasons is confusing to me. 

I think 6 was the last strong top to bottom season.  When 6 came out, I thought it was pretty weak but that's just because it followed 5, which is arguably the funniest season of any show in TV history.  Having recently rewatched the bulk of the series, it's much closer to the early seasons than the later in terms of quality.

I do think that ever since Howerton missed a couple of episodes that the production and feel has been changed, but the overall quality level (30% great, 30% trash, 40% filler) has been the norm for a decade.

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what's strange to me is how many people here seem to have drawn the line with this season as the point where the show jumped the shark, when in reality this season has been no different from the last, i dunno, 3, 5, 6 seasons? in fact i've enjoyed a couple of this season's episodes more than i have any episode of the most recent seasons. the idea at bat this season is noticeably different/worse than other seasons is confusing to me. 

People are dumb.

The one difference that I've noticed this season is that something will happen and it's kinda funny, not bad at all, but seems like would have been way funnier if they had gone a slightly different direction. I'm watching the show and in the moment seeing things that feel like missed opportunities to do something else. But is that an actual difference in the show? Probably not. It's probably just more exposure to their process with the podcast and see them clearly reacting to feedback they've gotten but not doing in in the way I thought was best.

Another miss. There’s plenty of weird shit at Chuck E. Cheese they could have parodied, but they focused on mouse tittles and a talking dog/psychotherapist. I don’t think the show is in a good place for original storylines. 

This shouldn’t be hard. Beloved character cameos and memberberries. They’re only doing 8-10 episodes a season, and there’s plenty of source material. 

On 7/3/2023 at 11:59 AM, HRSchenker said:

Just caught up to the most recent episode and yeah I think I'm done with this show. Too much of this "meta" bullshit going on and it reeks of laziness. The podcast is about to wrap up their season 5 episodes anyway so now is the perfect time for me to bow out and remember the show for what it was rather than what it is right now. 

I've tried to get into the podcast, but its kind of a beating and an indicator that they just aren't that funny anymore. 

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Just catching up on the last few episodes (Celebrity Booze and Risky Rat).

These aren’t great, but they’re nowhere near the series low point (Mindy Kaling episodes; female Boggs).

I agree with this take. For me, Mindy Kaling episode is the low point, female Boggs is not great but they were doing a thing. Reading this thread at all while watching this season makes it worse.

I do feel like on the Risky Rat episode, the gang was getting along too well.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I've loved every episode, but God damn the bowling ep killed me the whole way through. When the McPoyles literally popped up I nearly had an aneurysm. 

Same. Glenn is killing it this season too. Dennis' psychopathy is really taking hold in his 40's. I sometimes think I could have been a tv comedy writer, but things like the Dennis system backwards spelling Sinned is just so perfect, and not something I would have come up with in a million years. 

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Same. Glenn is killing it this season too. Dennis' psychopathy is really taking hold in his 40's. I sometimes think I could have been a tv comedy writer, but things like the Dennis system backwards spelling Sinned is just so perfect, and not something I would have come up with in a million years. 

The way he suantered up to Dee and her crew with his cronies right behind him reminded me of all those 80s sports movies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

The way he suantered up to Dee and her crew with his cronies right behind him reminded me of all those 80s sports movies. 

It's the same 80's cackle from The Gang Hits the Slopes, and Charlie trying to do it but with terrible timing was funny.

• Hook 'Em 2

The heart monitor going off during his tangents was funny to me. And he’s been saying he can make his body do stuff and lo and behold he made it happen, and we got to see how. I thought it was just so good.

Edited by 'stache