Red River Shootout topped CFB ratings last week

clapclapclap

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/10/college-football-ratings-texas-oklahoma-overnights/

FOX topped the college football ratings charts for the first time this season as the Red River Rivalry hit a seven-year high in the metered markets.

Saturday’s Texas-Oklahoma college football game scored a 4.3 overnight rating on FOX, up 115% from Iowa State-Oklahoma in the same window last year (2.0), and the network’s third-highest college football overnight ever, excluding bowls and conference championship games.

The Longhorns’ win trails Ohio State-Michigan (6.7) and Penn State-Ohio State (6.4) last year and Notre Dame-Stanford in 2015 (4.7).

Compared to previous editions of the Texas-Oklahoma rivalry, this year’s game increased 79% from last year on ESPN (2.4), 115% from 2016 on FS1 (2.0), and 13% from 2015 on ABC — the last time it aired on broadcast television (3.8). The 4.3 is the highest for the rivalry since 2011 (4.5).

The Longhorns’ narrow win was the top college football game of the weekend. Since it began airing regular season games in 2012, FOX has topped the charts just five times.

Ranking second for the weekend, LSU-Florida on CBS and Notre Dame-Virginia Tech on ABC both scored a 3.1 overnight. LSU-Florida increased 19% from the same matchup last year (2.6) but declined 23% from 2016 (Tennessee-Texas A&M: 4.0).

Notre Dame-Virginia Tech fell 21% from Michigan State-Michigan last year (3.9) and a tick from FSU-Miami in ’16 (3.2).

Rounding out the top five, FOX scored a 2.9 overnight for Indiana-Ohio State (+38%). The game, which aired immediately after Texas-Oklahoma, earned the network’s second-best overnight of the season. FSU-Miami chipped in a 2.2 on ABC, up 29% from last year (Notre Dame-UNC: 1.7). Versus last year’s meeting between the rivals, which aired in the comparable window last year, but on ESPN, overnights increased 10% (from 2.0).

Washington-UCLA brought up the rear on broadcast with a 1.6, but that was still up 14% (Washington State-Oregon: 1.4). On cable, no game exceeded the 1.4 overnight ESPN drew for both Alabama-Arkansas (+8%) and Kentucky-Texas A&M (-48%).

[Numbers from Fox Sports PR 10.7, Sports Business Daily 10.8]

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Red River Rivalry?   Fuck that.

Every single time Red River Shootout begins running off the tounge of these announcers then they go err Showdown.

Fuck, just call it the Texas OU game, or come up with a completely different name.

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So if we don't suck, our ratings are decent. Just like 2008 and 2009 when we were always in the most watched games of the season. 

As I’ve theorized, there is a quadrant of polarizing cfb programs: Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, and Texas. There are a lot of people that want to see them win, and there are A LOT more people that want to see them lose.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:50 PM, clapclapclap said:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/10/college-football-ratings-texas-oklahoma-overnights/

The Longhorns’ win trails Ohio State-Michigan (6.7) and Penn State-Ohio State (6.4) last year and Notre Dame-Stanford in 2015 (4.7).

Is it comparing apples to apples.  Was the game national?  Were the same number of markets watching to really compare?  

Washington-UCLA brought up the rear on broadcast with a 1.6, but that was still up 14% (Washington State-Oregon: 1.4). On cable, no game exceeded the 1.4 overnight ESPN drew for both Alabama-Arkansas (+8%) and Kentucky-Texas A&M (-48%).

Woof

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

He stumbled into something.  Texas is good at far too many things to be called a mere football school.

Truth.

We are a football school.  We are also a baseball school.  And a swimming & diving school.  And a volleyball school.  And a party school.  And a great academic school.  A music school, an engineering school, a business school....

It's good to be us.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 9:08 PM, Lhorn said:

Forgot who said it earlier this year but to paraphrase “college football is better when Texas and Michigan are good”. 

That was Gus "A child shall lead" Johnson during the USC game.

Top 10 Most watched Games this year. I left off Miami/LSU and VT/Noles because the unique Day/Time

1.Ohio St @ Penn St ABC

2. Ohio St vs TCU  ABC

3.Michigan @ ND  NBC

4. LSU @ Aub CBS

5. ATm @ Bama CBS

6. Wash vs Aub ABC

7. Louisville vs Bama ABC

8. Clem @ ATM ESPN

9. Syracuse @ Clemson ABC

10. Stanford @ Oregon ABC

Based on numbers i have seen UT/OU game should be in the 4-6 range. 

Few things that stand out. CBS isn't pulling the numbers it usually does. Maybe they will this week with UGA/LSU and later for Bama/LSU but they usually have much better #'s

Also as i noted in another post FOX just does not pull strong CFB numbers. Never have. So for UT/OU to be that high is impressive. 

1 hour ago, ERhine said:

Is that your goal? Flood threads with the same shit photoshop to try and get your +rep? Are you Rocko? Is that why you care so much about rep?

My goal on Surly is to have fun while hopefully entertaining people on this site. Apparently, not everyone agrees with you that my contributions are "shit."

What is your goal here? I would certainly hope it's to enjoy yourself.   

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

My goal on Surly is to have fun while hopefully entertaining people on this site. Apparently, not everyone agrees with you that my contributions are "shit."

What is your goal here? I would certainly hope it's to enjoy yourself.   

My goal is to get some laughs and have the ban on swam lifted. 

Granted the latter is not a popular goal. 

• Like 1

Most watched game of the season on Fox. Dude is asking for trouble because A&M-Alabama was watched by a handful more people. Of course that was at 2:30 on CBS.

1. Ohio State at Penn State - 9.141M
2. Ohio State vs. TCU - 7.232M
3. Michigan at Notre Dame - 7.091M
4. Miami vs. LSU - 6.553M
5. LSU @ Auburn - 5.936M
6. Texas A&M @ Alabama - 5.650M
7. Texas vs. Oklahoma - 5.608M
8. Washington vs. Auburn - 5.253M
9. LSU @ Florida - 4.703M
10. Louisville vs. Alabama - 4.540M

Edited by Huckleberry