2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

I think Fultz is just a strange guy.  I remember a post game PC after one of his decent games last season.  A reporter asked him about the injury and he just stared siliently.  Didn’t say “no comment” or recite a line like “just focused on what’s ahead” etc.  Just stared blankly and said nothing until someone else asked a question.  Really odd.

2 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I think Fultz is just a strange guy.  I remember a post game PC after one of his decent games last season.  A reporter asked him about the injury and he just stared siliently.  Didn’t say “no comment” or recite a line like “just focused on what’s ahead” etc.  Just stared blankly and said nothing until someone else asked a question.  Really odd.

For what it's worth (I'm sure some in-house bias/protection is present), everyone in or around the Sixers raves about what a great kid he is. Those practice videos from last season of him shooting with the wrong hand, with a big hitch, etc. got out because he refused to wait for his own closed practice and wanted to get his work in whenever he could, regardless of who was watching.

Feel bad for the dude, but hard to envision a scenario in which he's a Sixer in 2020. Gotta trade him soon while he's still on a rookie deal, and another team thinks it's worth the low financial risk to try to fix a #1 pick.

Edited by aggie08

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

anybody know why the pistons have four consecutive days off?

Because the league set the schedule?

It happens.  Last January, the Celtics had 4 days off between games. They played at the Nets on the 6th, then at the 76ers on the 11th.

And, an article how the NBA creates the schedules for each team:

https://www.nbastuffer.com/analytics101/how-the-nba-schedule-is-made/

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

how in the fuck did he land a UW scholarship, become a star, be drafted first overall and unable to shoot the ball over his head?

theres been some epic busts at #1...but this is bizzaroland

He didn't have these ticks at Washington.  Go watch video of him there, he was a beast as a shoot-first PG. This isn't an Anthony Bennett situation where he was taken #1 overall out of nowhere and the rest of the league was shocked. Taking Fultz as the #1 pick was a consensus opinion among damn near every front office in the league. There's obviously something wrong with him be it mentally or physically, and I don't understand why Fultz and 76ers don't come out and admit it to relieve the pressure from him as the number # 1 pick who is severely underperforming expectations.  I'm guessing there's some sort of nervous system issue given the repeated memeable gif opportunities of him having physical ticks. It's a sad situation.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

I don't know who would even want him at this point. How much value could he possibly have? I'm 40(I'm a man!) and I was a pretty decent high school player. My shot might not be quite as good as it used to be and my athleticism definitely isn't, but the basic mechanics of my shot are no different than when I was 15. I just don't understand how he went from being a good shooter to full retard at the free throw stripe. It has to be mental.  

7 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I don't know who would even want him at this point. How much value could he possibly have? I'm 40(I'm a man!) and I was a pretty decent high school player. My shot might not be quite as good as it used to be and my athleticism definitely isn't, but the basic mechanics of my shot are no different than when I was 15. I just don't understand how he went from being a good shooter to full retard at the free throw stripe. It has to be mental.  

He's actually a robot and his software is glitching

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NowThis said:

celtics experiment still not clicking 

It’s 16 games into the season and they are shooting sub 35% from 3. That’s worse than last season. Kyrie will start to hit shots, Hayward will start to hit shots, Tatum will start to hit shots. You get the idea. And I’ve said this before but they have the best defense in the league. They will be just fine. If we get to the all star break and they are a near .500 team then we have something to talk about. Everyone needs to pump the breaks.

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

celtics experiment still not clicking 

Where were you last night when Boston beat the best team in the East (currently), and Kyrie out-dueled Kawhi down the stretch? It's a long season, man.

Their offense is concerning...but it was last year too, and they made it to the ECF. Their defense gives them a lot of leeway to hopefully figure things out consistently on the other end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

OKC is 5-1 without Westbrook and won the game he went out early.  

The West is insane right now. Not as good at the top as in year's past, but the margins between #2 and #13 are as thin as ever. I mean there's only 4 teams that I feel somewhat safe predicting to make the playoffs: GS, Houston, OKC (now that they seem to be able to at least function without Russ), and Denver. Maybe Portland because they know how to win regular season games. I still probably wouldn't put any money on anyone outside of Golden State and Houston.

It could come down to the last week of the season for like 8 or 10 teams out West. It's going to take some luck. Get hot for two weeks and you're the 4 seed; have your 2nd best player tweak an ankle in March, and you're outside looking in.

The Warriors have dick to work with right now and when Klay (11/26) and KD can't hit the broad side of a barn it's pretty fucking hard to lose to them. 

Still a good win for the Spurs but we kind of lucked out. Offense still looks lethargic with not a lot of guys that can get to the rim outside of DeMar. Defense is solid but we handed GS plenty of opportunities. 

Golden State is definitely crippled a lot without Curry and Green, but I still think their play is disappointing.  Durant just isn't in his groove right now, and I think Thompson really suffers not having Curry to create some gravity on the floor for spacing.  Spurs are just not good enough to really win a title, but also not bad enough to start some kind of Dying for Zion train derailment either.  With the way the West might tweak this year, at least 10-11+ teams realistically can make the playoffs and maybe quite a bit of this same group can even fight for a home first round.      

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I remember shagtards here claiming Durant is more important to the Warriors than Curry is

Offensively, it's not even a debate. They've always been crap to slightly below mediocre dating back to the Mark Jackson era without Curry. Granted, if they knew that Steph was out for the entire season or something, I'm sure they could completely retool the offense around KD with Klay playing more like a traditional 3-and-D guy, and it would be pretty good because KD is fucking awesome.  But, as long as they're running their current system, all the off ball screens, movement, back cuts, and extra passes are just a bunch of sound and fury signifying nothing without the threat of Steph causing defenses to scramble and break down.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I remember shagtards here claiming Durant is more important to the Warriors than Curry is

He was certainly more important last playoffs. 

I think Curry is definitely more impactful in the regular season - but Durant's game translates better to playoff ball. 

I don't understand this obsession with people trying to put one over the other. They are both phenomenal players that excel at different aspects of the game. There are things Durant provides that Curry can't and vice-versa. 

Lately - Durant has been their engine and Curry has been their supercharger. There is a respectable floor that Durant sets (especially if their bench didn't suck so much dick) but to get past a certain level they need Curry. 

Curry has more impact and importance for the Warriors system and roster because of what they run consistently.  He is a unique player that has changed the NBA as a whole more than any current player since maybe Shaq in terms of how the game is now changing, has already changed (roster construction, defensive/offensive game plans, analytics, etc) so he's a great, great player.  His gravity and impact on other teams is very unique and I believe in a way not seen since Shaq. 

Durant could probably thrive fine in almost any system where Curry due to the nature of his game maybe functions better in certain systems.  I personally think Durant is an overall better talent (specifically in that I think he could thrive more consistently in more varied roster situations and coaches, teams, etc) but I don't think Durant has ever peaked in a season as well as Curry did in his NBA2k video game session in 2016 which was in a sense a perfect storm of everything breaking just right where I think he was even better than LeBron that year. 

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

durant sure seemed pretty fucking important to them the past two finals (and last year's WCF). 

but i mean, i suppose these november games are a big deal too.

Your logic is so fucking flawed. Durant looks good when he's around this system i.e. Curry on the floor. Anyone does. Take Curry away and what do you have? A mess. Stop comparing apples to oranges. Durant is not needed for GSW to succeed. He just makes them pretty much unstoppable in the playoffs.

Edited by Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

He was certainly more important last playoffs. 

I think Curry is definitely more impactful in the regular season - but Durant's game translates better to playoff ball. 

I don't understand this obsession with people trying to put one over the other. They are both phenomenal players that excel at different aspects of the game. There are things Durant provides that Curry can't and vice-versa. 

Lately - Durant has been their engine and Curry has been their supercharger. There is a respectable floor that Durant sets (especially if their bench didn't suck so much dick) but to get past a certain level they need Curry. 

How can y'all not understand what he's getting at? When Curry is on the floor, Durant thrives. He is talking about when Curry can't play. The team looks totally different. GSW has already proven they can easily win without Durant. When he was injured in 2017, they only lost a game without him, including playoffs. They won before him, too and were already established. Curry is much more valuable and important than Durant is for the Warriors. He makes this team go.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Old Express News colleague of mine who covers the Spurs for AP said on FB tonight that the Warriors media are saying Durant is miserable and doesn’t want to play for the Warriors anymore.

Would love to see that team breakup. The entire league would be so much more interesting if any one of their top 4 players were traded, but I can't imagine who or what they would get in return for trading Draymond or KD.  

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Your logic is so fucking flawed. Durant looks good when he's around this system i.e. Curry on the floor. Anyone does. Take Curry away and what do you have? A mess. Stop comparing apples to oranges. Durant is not needed for GSW to succeed. He just makes them pretty much unstoppable in the playoffs.

I like how you start off by telling someone that his logic is so fucking flawed, and follow it up by positing that Kevin Durant, the 2014 MVP in OKC, "looks good because Curry is on the floor". KD has been the second best player in the NBA for nearly a decade now, he's been better than Steph his entire life, and it has nothing to do with GS's system or Steph being on the court.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

I like how you start off by telling someone that his logic is so fucking flawed, and follow it up by positing that Kevin Durant, the 2014 MVP in OKC, "looks good because Curry is on the floor". KD has been the second best player in the NBA for nearly a decade now, he's been better than Steph his entire life, and it has nothing to do with GS's system or Steph being on the court.

So true. What made that team special pre Durant was their bench play. There was just no let up. However, they were beatable. Much the same as a Curry-less Durant led team was beatable. Durant is a superior player to Curry and always has been. This debate is as silly as the claim that maybe Curry was better than Lebron circa 2015/2016. Curry has one thing he does, and when he is clicking he is as good as anyone ever. However, on his off nights he has no other go to. Lebron and Durant don't have to have a great shooting night from the arc to murder you.

My bad. Wasn't trying to help push a(nother) KD vs. Steph debate. Just pointing out the obvious that an offense built from the ground up around Steph's spacing, gravity, and unique-in-league-history skillset is going to struggle without him. Duh. I think it's safe to say that no player has ever had the offensive impact that Steph has without the ball in his hands. The quality of looks that the Warriors get with him on the court vs. off are night and day, whether Steph is hitting his own shots or not. Lowe said it best: Steph with 4 average NBA players around him is a Top 5 NBA offense onto itself.

But they (or any other team) could build an offense around KD tomorrow that would be almost as prolific and efficient (to say nothing of his defensive advantages)...they just won't so long as Steph is there, which may very well factor in to KD's decision this offseason.

Regardless, this iteration of the Warriors isn't winning jack shit in May and June without KD, just as unequivocally as it's not winning it without Steph.

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

How can y'all not understand what he's getting at? When Curry is on the floor, Durant thrives. He is talking about when Curry can't play. The team looks totally different. GSW has already proven they can easily win without Durant. When he was injured in 2017, they only lost a game without him, including playoffs. They won before him, too and were already established. Curry is much more valuable and important than Durant is for the Warriors. He makes this team go.

Why do I get the feeling I've watched Durant and the Warriors play many more games than you have?

I know what I'm talking about. I watched every game of their playoff run last season where Durant scored 600 points and led the playoffs in RPM - going 5-1 without Curry on the floor. I watched him straight up eviscerate the best player of his own generation on the road in the Finals.

They struggled to figure out the Rockets as a team and would have lost that series handily without Durant. This is not the Warriors from 2015 or 2016. They are thin, injury prone, and running into better teams.