Kris Boyd probably should start showing up for meetings

TtomTerrific

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

And why wasn't DK Metcalf First-Team All-SEC? And why didn't the Mountain from Game of Thrones ever catch on in the NFL?

Well Hafthor Bjornsenn didn't want to play American Football and he's also the strongest man in the world, so his reason isn't because he lacks the physical ability. He just doesn't want to play some stupid sport that has a high injury risk and not much tradeoff as far as pay/sponsorships go. He's absolutely worked out with the teams and blown their minds and has a well documented history of "trying other sports". He's a freak and was an excellent basketball player before he started doing strongman.

DK Metcalf is just bad at what he should have been good at, but still good enough to play D1 and still good enough to get drafted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Well Hafthor Bjornsenn didn't want to play American Football and he's also the strongest man in the world, so his reason isn't because he lacks the physical ability. He just doesn't want to play some stupid sport that has a high injury risk and not much tradeoff as far as pay/sponsorships go. He's absolutely worked out with the teams and blown their minds and has a well documented history of "trying other sports". He's a freak and was an excellent basketball player before he started doing strongman.

DK Metcalf is just bad at what he should have been good at, but still good enough to play D1 and still good enough to get drafted. 

While this is an excellent response, I was just kidding around with his "why don't combine numbers = success" question

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:
1 hour ago, tjhooker said:
why wasn't he better with numbers like that at Texas?  Kid is frustrating for me to figure out.

No pass rush at all.

Agree. However, why didn’t he (or the coaches) adjust his technique to stop WR from running by him and drawing the predictable holding/PI penalties?  Somebody was slow to adjust to the real problem up front. 

33 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Agree. However, why didn’t he (or the coaches) adjust his technique to stop WR from running by him and drawing the predictable holding/PI penalties?  Somebody was slow to adjust to the real problem up front. 

Some players are who they are. It's all well to teach it in practice, but Kris has had discipline issues off the field and on.

I've always believed that his strength is his most elite "player talent"... he is pretty fast and average sized... not very disciplined nor possessing a particularly strong work ethic. 

I don't believe that the combine did anything for Kris (positively or negatively) than to validate these widely held perceptions of him as a football player. 

8 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

I've always believed that his strength is his most elite "player talent"... he is pretty fast and average sized... not very disciplined nor possessing a particularly strong work ethic. 

I don't believe that the combine did anything for Kris (positively or negatively) than to validate these widely held perceptions of him as a football player. 

Which, in a really weak year at CB, puts him in a position to make some nice money.

Edited by texifornia

• 3 weeks later...

Eyes of Texas:

Scouts comments at Texas Pro Day

CB Kris Boyd

“Boyd worked out well today. You see the explosiveness and just a bunch of raw athleticism. But he plays with such bad eyes. You almost have to break him down and start over in the image you want him. So that has to be factored in when you consider where you’re going to take him.” … “I love Kris Boyd as a kid. He’s just so damn straight forward — for better or worse. And I find it refreshing. He knows where his strengths and weaknesses are. I think he’s coachable. And he needs work. But if you can be patient as a team and bring him along behind an aging veteran, you could have a gem on your hands in a few years.”

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 8:59 AM, immamac said:

metcalf is actually pretty good.  not “good enough to play d1” but a high level d1 player in the SEC.  the only thing he isn’t good at is staying healthy.  and maybe running cleaner routes.  but he put up numbers and made circus catches.  he’s good.

Edited by futureman

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-select-texas-db-kris-boyd-in-the-7th-round-of-the-nfl-draft

Brutal

Strengths

• Big and strong for a cornerback
  • Plays with toughness and attitude
  • Good job with hands in bump-and-run
  • Can give receivers a rough ride over first five yards
  • Crowds and bodies up receivers downfield
  • Takes good angles to play the catch-point
  • Adequate downhill burst to close
  • Active, strong hands make contested catches difficult
  • Decent job at recognition from zone
  • Willing, physical tackler who doesn't need help