Fearless predictions for rest of season

Xcalibur

Look, I'm not at all pleased that we lost to OkSt on Saturday.  But the truth is, it really doesn't fucking matter.  We weren't going to the playoff this year anyway.  We are not an elite team (not this year).  But our guys do play really fucking hard and we punish opponents for making mistakes.  OkSt just didn't really make any.  We have a true and consistent gamer at quarterback for the first time since Colt McCoy.  We also have a head coach who finally gives a shit—that is something else we haven’t had in about a decade.

Yes, we sucked shit through a straw on Saturday… mostly on defense, where we looked outright lost for most of the night.  But on offense too, although there were a few flashes of brilliance (e.g., Ehlinger’s dime to Beck), LJH and even CJ had some massive drops that are extremely atypical for their usual level of play.  Our run blocking was also bad for most of the game.  To say it was an off night for us is an understatement.  And then there was the officiating, which to be certain did not help things, but the effort we showed through 3 quarters was more than enough to lose the game on our own.

Nevertheless, Sam fucking Ehlinger led us to get within 3 at the end of the game—despite everything, we STILL had a chance to win the fucking thing.  That effort was sadly undone by a subsequent shitty special teams play, a phantom holding penalty that negated what could have been our game winning drive, and a shitty defensive stand in the final minutes.  So we lost.  We went 0-1 this week.  But, and let me be clear about this: It. Does. Not. Fucking. Matter.  All that matters is how our team responds.  They know this, and they are going to fucking respond.  They have done it all season.

We still control our own destiny to arrive in the Big 12 championship game on December 1st.  I feel supremely confident in saying that we will not have a game as shitty as Saturday's for the rest of the season.  Whatever pressure we had on ourselves from before that game with trying to make our way into the CFP is now dissipated.  The orange voodoo from a Halloween night game in Stillwater is now gone.  I believe our team will play looser and more determined to win the rest of this season.  We are going to get there, and it will start this Saturday against WVU.

Here are my fearless predictions for the rest of the season:

Texas wins its next 4 games (WVU, @TTU, ISU, @KU) and will play OU for the conference title on December 1st. 

WVU- Yes, their offense is legit and Grier is good.  Grier also trusts his receivers implicitly and throws balls up to them all the time, which has made WVU very turnover prone this season.  We will pick him off a couple times on Saturday and will do enough to win.

@TTU- This game was scarier before our loss to OkSt.  Now I’m sure that we will win it.  Tech has OU in the prime time slot this weekend, and they will leave it all on the field.  That game will be their chance to blow their load for the season, and they will.  Their game against OU will go one of two ways: either Tech will play its game but lose in such a manner that they will be deflated going into the following week (against us) or Tech will beat OU outright in a shootout.  Regardless of that outcome, Tech will play us the following week feeling that they can handle us without issue (as Tech demolished OkSt in Stillwater earlier this season).  Our team, however, will not be fucking around, and we will take them.

ISU- Out of all our remaining games, I am most glad we are playing this one at home.  ISU is every bit as good this year as they were last year.  This will be a hard fought slugfest, but we will pull away in the end on senior night.

@KU- If we don’t win this game, then fuck us and fuck everything I just said, because we won’t deserve shit.  That said, we’ll win this game.

We will arrive for our rematch with OU in the Big 12 CCG at 10-2.  I have no idea how that game will go.  But however it goes, I know we will have opportunities in the game to beat them and win the conference.  Herman and our team are deadliest when playing the underdog role.

In conclusion, fuck OU and Hook ‘em Horns.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

Look, I'm not at all pleased that we lost to OkSt on Saturday.  But the truth is, it really doesn't fucking matter.  We weren't going to the playoff this year anyway.  We are not an elite team (not this year).  But our guys do play really fucking hard and we punish opponents for making mistakes.  OkSt just didn't really make any.  We have a true and consistent gamer at quarterback for the first time since Colt McCoy.  We also have a head coach who finally gives a shit—that is something else we haven’t had in about a decade.

Yes, we sucked shit through a straw on Saturday… mostly on defense, where we looked outright lost for most of the night.  But on offense too, although there were a few flashes of brilliance (e.g., Ehlinger’s dime to Beck), LJH and even CJ had some massive drops that are extremely atypical for their usual level of play.  Our run blocking was also bad for most of the game.  To say it was an off night for us is an understatement.  And then there was the officiating, which to be certain did not help things, but the effort we showed through 3 quarters was more than enough to lose the game on our own.

Nevertheless, Sam fucking Ehlinger led us to get within 3 at the end of the game—despite everything, we STILL had a chance to win the fucking thing.  That effort was sadly undone by a subsequent shitty special teams play, a phantom holding penalty that negated what could have been our game winning drive, and a shitty defensive stand in the final minutes.  So we lost.  We went 0-1 this week.  But, and let me be clear about this: It. Does. Not. Fucking. Matter.  All that matters is how our team responds.  They know this, and they are going to fucking respond.  They have done it all season.

We still control our own destiny to arrive in the Big 12 championship game on December 1st.  I feel supremely confident in saying that we will not have a game as shitty as Saturday's for the rest of the season.  Whatever pressure we had on ourselves from before that game with trying to make our way into the CFP is now dissipated.  The orange voodoo from a Halloween night game in Stillwater is now gone.  I believe our team will play looser and more determined to win the rest of this season.  We are going to get there, and it will start this Saturday against WVU.

Here are my fearless predictions for the rest of the season:

Texas wins its next 4 games (WVU, @TTU, ISU, @KU) and will play OU for the conference title on December 1st. 

WVU- Yes, their offense is legit and Grier is good.  Grier also trusts his receivers implicitly and throws balls up to them all the time, which has made WVU very turnover prone this season.  We will pick him off a couple times on Saturday and will do enough to win.

@TTU- This game was scarier before our loss to OkSt.  Now I’m sure that we will win it.  Tech has OU in the prime time slot this weekend, and they will leave it all on the field.  That game will be their chance to blow their load for the season, and they will.  Their game against OU will go one of two ways: either Tech will play its game but lose in such a manner that they will be deflated going into the following week (against us) or Tech will beat OU outright in a shootout.  Regardless of that outcome, Tech will play us the following week feeling that they can handle us without issue (as Tech demolished OkSt in Stillwater earlier this season).  Our team, however, will not be fucking around, and we will take them.

ISU- Out of all our remaining games, I am most glad we are playing this one at home.  ISU is every bit as good this year as they were last year.  This will be a hard fought slugfest, but we will pull away in the end on senior night.

@KU- If we don’t win this game, then fuck us and fuck everything I just said, because we won’t deserve shit.  That said, we’ll win this game.

We will arrive for our rematch with OU in the Big 12 CCG at 10-2.  I have no idea how that game will go.  But however it goes, I know we will have opportunities in the game to beat them and win the conference.  Herman and our team are deadliest when playing the underdog role.

In conclusion, fuck OU and Hook ‘em Horns.

This team is relatively good at home and bad on the road. I expect a close loss in Lubbock and a much closer game than it should be in a win in Lawrence. Currently, we play to our competition. We won't be remotely back until we play to a standard regardless of competition. We're not there yet, but we are trending in the right direction.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

Grier also trusts his receivers implicitly and throws balls up to them all the time, which has made WVU very turnover prone this season.  We will pick him off a couple times on Saturday

If you watched the game Saturday, this should scare you the most..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xcalibur said:

We also have a head coach who finally gives a shit—that is something else we haven’t had in about a decade.

I don't buy this. I think Strong and even late-era Mack both cared more about winning and losing football games than basically any fan. You don't get to be the head coach at Texas unless you care about winning to like, a clinically insane degree. They didn't come up with the answers in time to get the job done, but throughout I think they really, really cared about winning.  Mack has/had the image as a folksy nice guy but often as not when you saw him on the sidelines he was purple-faced and yelling at people. I'm not sure anyone gets more worked up about anything than Muschamp does about football, but all the emotion in the world wasn't enough to allow him to put it together at Florida.

Edited by Thermos H. Christ

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We drop tech and win the rest. Win the bowl game and are pre-season top 10 next year.

do we open with Maryland? Please tell me we don’t open with maryland.

If we drop Tech and Win rest...... AND BlowU beats Tech on Saturday, then LONGHORNS go to B12 Championship Game..... 

We probably go 3-1 or 2-2 down the stretch and make a halfway decent bowl game, likely against someone with a better record than us because bowls want to sell tickets and Texas is a big brand. It won't be some huge TEXAS IS BACK statement but especially if we win the bowl game it'll be a clear step in the right direction over last year and miles ahead of where we ever were in the Strong era. But for now I can still dream of going 12-2 culminating in a conference championship and a NY6 victory, so I'm gonna get that in while the getting is good. It's like when you buy a ticket for big lottery jackpot. You don't really think you'll win, but just knowing that you could is a good feeling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

We likely drop 2 more and finish 8-4, hopefully good enough for the Alamo Bowl. Defense isn't good enough yet to handle the pass heavy teams left on the schedule.  

WV is a likely loss and pick one of Iowa State/Texas Tech. 

This is correct. 

KU better be a gimmie. I think the team and coaching has progressed beyond that.

As for the other 3 games, take a coin and flip it three times.  

ISU should have a 5 game winning streak when they roll into Austin, including a bunch of top-25 wins the last couple years.  Coach Campbell is going to have those boys running through brick walls.  

My prediction is 2-2 down the stretch, where we lose to TT in Lubbock and ISU at home.

That's still an 8-4 season and a CLEAR improvement from where we've been.

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

We likely drop 2 more and finish 8-4, hopefully good enough for the Alamo Bowl. Defense isn't good enough yet to handle the pass heavy teams left on the schedule.  

WV is a likely loss and pick one of Iowa State/Texas Tech. 

I will go out on a limb of optimism and say we lose only one of WVU/TTU/ISU. We've performed much, much better at home than we have in our away games and I think there's a spark to be had against West Virginia. Texas Tech concerns me most out of thr remaining three simply because it's in Lubbock and we've been pretty dismal in road games this season.

The resulting 9-3 record should get us into the Alamo Bowl. If we do go 8-4, which I conceded is very possible, we will likely end up in the Camping World Bowl.

1 minute ago, Brandywine said:

We lose 2 more. TT and WVU. 8-4. The sad thing is those loses will probably be like last Saturday. Let them get ahead at the beginning and fight back at the end. 

3 minutes ago, Xian said:

Losing sucks. I Prefer winning. 

That said, I sadly think we lose two more this year. 

Overall shitty, but still a nice improvement from years past. I vote we keep Herman another year 

32 minutes ago, mr.goodkat said:

we beat wvu, tt, ku lose to isu 

23 minutes ago, Whatever said:

agreed. 

2 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

KU better be a gimmie. I think the team and coaching has progressed beyond that.

As for the other 3 games, take a coin and flip it three times.  

ISU should have a 5 game winning streak when they roll into Austin, including a bunch of top-25 wins the last couple years.  Coach Campbell is going to have those boys running through brick walls.  

My prediction is 2-2 down the stretch, where we lose to TT in Lubbock and ISU at home.

That's still an 8-4 season and a CLEAR improvement from where we've been.

tenor.gif?itemid=5193502

4-0 in the regular season.  Beat OU in the Big 12 championship.

Chaos reigns among the one-loss teams; Texas makes the playoff.  Upsets Bama in Round 1 and crushes Notre Dame in the final.

Sack up, bitches.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We win out and lose a heartbreaker to OU in the big 12 championship. Aggy creams themselves. After upsetting Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, we are a consensus top 5 team going into 2019 with Ehlinger among the preseason Heisman favorites. Lincoln Riley goes to the Cowboys, Kyler plays baseball and OU enters the dark ages for the next decade

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

We win out and lose a heartbreaker to OU in the big 12 championship. Aggy creams themselves. After upsetting Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, we are a consensus top 5 team going into 2019 with Ehlinger among the preseason Heisman favorites. Lincoln Riley goes to the Cowboys, Kyler plays baseball and OU enters the dark ages for the next decade

Matt Campbell takes the Cleveland Browns job.  Mike Gundy joins a Whitesnake cover band.  Gary Patterson gives birth to triplets and sits out next season on maternity leave, then decides to be a stay at home mom, after his paid leave is up. 

Texas never loses a Big XII game again???

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

im going Jinx mode since the 2 times I picked us to win this year we lost.

I say Grier gones in dry on our secondary, if some 1 star named corneilous can looks like Lamar Jackson on us, grier will do unspeackable things.

Tech sucks but until we figure out how to get pressure on the QB i call this one a possible L

Iowa State scares me, but they have a true frosh at QB who is good but i think we can out athlete them

Kansas  W

we go 2-4 possible 1-4 in teh last 4  when the seasons over ill post a "see I told you so" thread like jimmyjazz

2-2 and ? in the bowl.  Lots of first half great, 2nd half shitty and the reverse of that.  The two games won will be KU and probably the least expected other game that is won.  Maximum gambling randomness.  That is what I deem most likely to occur from here.

It would be nice if they took care of business and won the Big XII however it is able to be done.  Beating OU again would be the icing on the cake of the championship.  Unless the first paragraph holds.  Then it would be minimal progress going to season 3 of the Hermanites.

We win out. WV will be close but they don't play as well on the road. I have faith that Orlando will have the defense lighting it up.

ISU will go down at DKR.

Tech QB Bowman may have come back too soon. He looked hesitant in the pocket. Defenses have film on him now as well. Still, this will be the toughest game to pull out.

Kansas will be closer than I expect since we play down to the competition.

We go to the Big 12 championship with a rematch with WVU. BlowU loses to WV on the road.

We are going to win them all...

(...that we don't lose)

We will not lose a single game...

(...That we win)

I'm hoping this loss cut deep when they watched the tape.

Hopefully they see the shit show they put on for the entire nation (and world) to see and it embarrassed them... Then maybe it will drive them off enough to pull their heads out of their ass and start playing to their potential instead of the other team's.

I'll have some koolaid and go with it had a profound affect that leads to some deep soul searching as a team who squandered a season that would have been a playoff berth if they had played each game with the intensity they played the first 3 quarters against OU.

It has the positive effect of pissing this team off and they put their foot on the pedal and don't let up until after the B12 title is theirs and they have wrecked whichever poor SEC soul gets offered up to appease an angry longhorn

We finish it!

If matchups matter (and they do), this is how I see it play out (sans any significant game changing injuries):

WVa - Likely loss-see my post in the game thread)

Tech - I think this is going to be a win.....we match up much better against Tech than OSU and WVa simply because Tech dinks and dunks down the field which against those types of offenses this year, we play pretty well. They aren't great on defense and have turnover and penalty problems as well. They've been good in the kicking game, but they aren't good at a lot else. Other than their second half against OSU and about a quarter and a half against WVa, they've been what you expect. Yada Yada Yada Lubbock and all that, but if we are indeed coming off of a 2 game losing streak, betcha we get right here. 

ISU - Win. It is a home game and though ISU has been a little friskier lately with the new freshman QB on offense, they aren't consistent enough. This is another game where the style of play suits us this year. I would expect a TCU type of game where it comes down to who executes better in the 4th quarter. 

KU - We will have something to play for so I expect us to take care of business. You know what KU has done well this year? Force turnovers (+16). They aren't good at anything else. What have we done well this year? Not turn the ball over. 

3-1 and we will see if that gets us a spot in the championship game. It might not based on what I am predicting above. 

Not sure how individual games will go but I predict a 9-3 regular season, we make the big 12 championship because weird shit happens, lose to OU, win Alamo Bowl, 10-4.  Great season.  Go into 2019 Top 5, need to use offseason finding OL depth and replacing starters on D.  It’s all on the table for next season.

There are some real bitches in this thread. We aren't finishing worse than 9-3, Oklahoma State basically scored 24 points on 2 screen doors at CB in the span of 20 minutes. Then Davis and Boyd came in and they scored 14 points in 40 minutes. People overreact to much. We are about to play the same team that got punked and had their lunch money taken by Iowa State. WVU aren't world beaters, neither is Tech.

10-2 would be a miracle recovery from the doldrums of the past 7 yrs.  9-3 is probably more realistic.  I keep thinking about how we were lucky to have beaten bu by 6.  They were driving with time left and could have won the game.  Then last week watching wv trounce them, bad, just humiliate them.  Doesn't bode well for us.  Herman, Beck, and Orlando cost us the osu game.  Their plan was shit.   We could have won, but there were clock management, playcalling, and other mistakes that trace back to coaching.  I have no clue what's going to happen Saturday but sure do hope I am pleasantly surprised.

18 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

We win out. WV will be close but they don't play as well on the road. I have faith that Orlando will have the defense lighting it up.

ISU will go down at DKR.

Tech QB Bowman may have come back too soon. He looked hesitant in the pocket. Defenses have film on him now as well. Still, this will be the toughest game to pull out.

Kansas will be closer than I expect since we play down to the competition.

We go to the Big 12 championship with a rematch with WVU. BlowU loses to WV on the road.

In general I'll agree but since 2012 vs UT...

At your house we're 2-1

At home 1-2

Texas is not losing to Texas Tech. WVU is a loss then Texas wins the remaining three games.

OSU proves to be the ultimate thorn in our side this year - very nearly beating both OU and the hillbillies but finishing neither. OU beats WVU twice in a row to win the B12. OU qualifies for the playoff and gets blasted by Alabama.

Texas goes to the Alamo Bowl and wins comfortably against an overmatched Pac 12 number two. 11-2.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk