An Old Fashioned

Macanudo

This could be an entry into the bourbon thread but it would get lost.  I've always like a really good Old Fashioned.    I've never made one at home until recently.  

Normally I like a traditional version of the drink but I'm not a purist.   A couple of weeks ago I had Backstreet Cafe's frou-frou version:

Bourbon, praline liqueur, Dolin Rouge, Orange Bitters, Peychaud Bitters spiced simple syrup.

Yes, I know that's not a classic version of it.   It was good but not great.   I enjoyed it as an aperitif but would most definitely not make it at home.   

A few nights later, I had a pretty classic version at Houston's on Westheimer:

Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey, Orange Bitters, Orange Twist

Now this was sublime.   

When I look at recipes, there are the muddled sugar cube/bitters ones vs. the simple syrup/bitters ones.  I have never seen a recipe like Houston's that skipped any sugar.   Is that normal at all?

Over the past few days, I've tried making a simple syrup/bitters version with Basil Hayden and Willet.   Both were around average.   But not what I want.   Is the bourbon?   Or something else?  

What am I doing wrong? ***

***  Yes, I realize that how a drink tastes is completely subjective.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Muddled sugar and simple syrup is all the same taste wise. IMO the real trick is how you mix the bourbon into the drink. Here’s what I do and it works consistently every time. 

1/4oz 1:1 home made simple syrup, Agnostura or Old Fashioned Bitters of whatever brand to taste. Stir to combine. Pour in 1oz of whatever bourbon you want as long as it’s good enough to sip neat. Stir to combine. Add ice and stir at least 30 seconds to dilute. Then top with 1.5oz of the same bourbon and garnish, I use one or two Luxardo cherries. When I wanna get fancy I’ll do a Luxardo maraschino liquor rinse in the glass for a little added flavor. Really the most important thing to do is to dilute that first oz before topping with the rest of the bourbon. It gives the first few sips the right balance and mouthfeel. 

Edited by Biscuits And Groovy
  • Like 1

My personal preference is to toss a sugar cube, bitters, and a maraschino cherry into the glass and muddle the sugar and bitters together (give the cherry a hit or two as well, but don't smash it to pieces). Then, add in your bourbon, 1.5-2 oz. Stir this until the sugar is almost all dissolved (it's OK if you get impatient). Then drop in an ice ball, or ice cubes I guess but the ball doesn't melt as fast so it doesn't water stuff down so much. Delicious.

• Like 1

Rye. Stop using Bourbon. Drink Bourbon straight. Use Rye for your OF. Everyone has something different that they like. I’m very heavy on the bitters, and will mix in some Orange bitters with my angostura on occasion. Also, if you are adding a cherry, for the love of god, don’t  use a shitty maraschino. Buy a Luxardo jar.

Old Overholt is your best rye bet unless you want to drop some coin. I use cubes, but a tsp of sugar will work if you don’t have one. I’m not a fan of simple syrup for an OF, but that is just personal preference. Use a single big cube of ice as well. Silicone molds are cheap.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Rye. Stop using Bourbon. Drink Bourbon straight. Use Rye for your OF. Everyone has something different that they like. I’m very heavy on the bitters, and will mix in some Orange bitters with my angostura on occasion. Also, if you are adding a cherry, for the love of god, don’t  use a shitty maraschino. Buy a Luxardo jar.

Old Overholt is your best rye bet unless you want to drop some coin. I use cubes, but a tsp of sugar will work if you don’t have one. I’m not a fan of simple syrup for an OF, but that is just personal preference. Use a single big cube of ice as well. Silicone molds are cheap.

Which brings me to my next point. I completely fucked up in my last post by saying add 1.5-2 oz bourbon. I almost exclusively use rye, specifically Templeton 4 year aged rye. It's a decent (to me) price under $30 and makes a damn delicious old fashioned. I rarely use it for anything other than mixing old fashioneds.

1 minute ago, Texaskimo said:

Which brings me to my next point. I completely fucked up in my last post by saying add 1.5-2 oz bourbon. I almost exclusively use rye, specifically Templeton 4 year aged rye. It's a decent (to me) price under $30 and makes a damn delicious old fashioned. I rarely use it for anything other than mixing old fashioneds.

I do like Templeton, but I drink too much to be buying it all the time, and after extensive research, have found you have to spend north of $60 a bottle to really make a noticeable difference. Old Overholt is very underrated. Although 3 years ago it was $14 a bottle, and now it’s closer to $20.

Well since no one really has answered the no sugar thing... I was trained at place i worked at awhile ago not to make with it with sugar.

Everyone seemed to enjoy them and got plenty of compliments.

Like mentioned start with high quality cherry and some orange without rind. Muddle then add booze,splash of bitters and shake over ice....strain...burn a orange twist, run over rim of glass then throw it in drink....done and done

• Haha 1

An old fashioned can be any whiskey (there are also gin and brandy versions, the latter probably being way too sweet for my taste).  I get that you guys prefer rye as the corn in bourbon makes it sweeter, but there are so many different bourbon mash bills out there to say you just use rye seems like it is limiting your universe.  The old Grand-Dad 114 is a high rye bourbon that makes a delightful OF, but generally I like to stick with the higher proof stuff in my OFs.

6 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Well since no one really has answered the no sugar thing... I was trained at place i worked at awhile ago not to make with it with sugar.

Like mentioned start with high quality cherry and some orange without rind. Muddle then add booze,splash of bitters and shake over ice....strain...burn a orange twist, run over rim of glass then throw it in drink....done and done

So I’m not the biggest fan of a cherry with sugar, but without sugar a cherry is necessary. As previously stated, I skew towards bitter and not sweet, so about 7-10 shakes of bitters is what I like.

really, an old fashioned is just a general idea. So really you can concoct one any way you like.

But use rye you heathens.

Edited by UnivTex34

Im gonna put on my elitist hat for second, so sorry in advance. 

I’d usually say that people have different opinions and everyone has their own tastes, but anyone who tells you to muddle the fruit or add club soda to an old fashioned is just wrong. Never, and I mean that in the most absolute way, muddle fruit in an old fashioned. That part is not a matter of taste like the Simple Syrup or Cube argument. An old fashioned is a bourbon drink and the only purpose of fruit in an OF is as a garnish. If you muddle fruit in an old fashioned it isn’t an old fashioned anymore. And if it is cloudy when you finish making it you fucked up and should start over. 

This goes back to the classic Cocktail formula. What a cocktail is at its basic roots is Alcohol, Sugar, Secondary flavoring agent. Then mixed with varying levels of dillusion. The Old Fashioned is the original whiskey cocktail. Whisky is the spirit, Sugar, Bitters to add complexity to the flavor, light dillusion from stirring with only the ice that the drink will be served with. I would go as far as to say only Agnostura, or Bitters that are an Agnostura clone. But I just don’t like Peychudes in my OF. Not a fan of the Peychudes flavor profile. 

Edited by Biscuits And Groovy
  • Like 1

Time was when the affable and sympathetic bartender moistened a lump of sugar with Angostura bitters, dropped in a lump of ice, neither too large nor too small, stuck in a miniature bar spoon and passed the glass to the client with a bottle of good bourbon from which said client was privileged to pour his own drink. In most places the price was 15 cents or two for quarter.

Nowadays the modern or ex-speakeasy bartender drops a spoonful of powdered sugar into a glass, adds a squirt of carbonic to aid dissolution, adds to that a dash or two of some kind of alleged bitters and a lump of ice, regardless of size. Then he proceeds to build up a fruit compote of orange, lemon, pineapple and cherry, and himself pours in a carefully measured ounce and a half of bar whisky, usually a blend, and gives one a glass rod to stir it with. Price, 35 to 50 cents. Profanation and extortion.

4 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

I would never shake a drink like an old fashioned or a manhattan, those require a nice stir with the ice. Shakers are for fruit forward drinks like margaritas or daiquiris.  

6 hours ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

I’d usually say that people have different opinions and everyone has their own tastes, but anyone who tells you to muddle the fruit or add club soda to an old fashioned is just wrong. Never, and I mean that in the most absolute way, muddle fruit in an old fashioned. That part is not a matter of taste like the Simple Syrup or Cube argument. An old fashioned is a bourbon drink and the only purpose of fruit in an OF is as a garnish. If you muddle fruit in an old fashioned it isn’t an old fashioned anymore. And if it is cloudy when you finish making it you fucked up and should start over. 

This goes back to the classic Cocktail formula. What a cocktail is at its basic roots is Alcohol, Sugar, Secondary flavoring agent. Then mixed with varying levels of dillusion. The Old Fashioned is the original whiskey cocktail. Whisky is the spirit, Sugar, Bitters to add complexity to the flavor, light dillusion from stirring with only the ice that the drink will be served with. I would go as far as to say only Agnostura, or Bitters that are an Agnostura clone. But I just don’t like Peychudes in my OF. Not a fan of the Peychudes flavor profile. 

Lulz dillusion

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

I'm mostly with you.  I do like one dash of the Peychudes.  It's the dominant bitters in a Sazarac which, along with the absinthe, is why I like them.  On the rye vs bourbon issue I'm agnostic.  I love them both.  Another thing is that I'm blessed (I call it that) with taste buds that can't tell a meaningful difference between a lot of things.  An inexpensive bourbon like plain Weller or Jim Beam works fine in an OF.  For me, the bitters and sugar will destroy whatever nuance I might get drinking it neat.  

And I love the blonde's 3 oz. pour.  

7 hours ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

Yup. 

I agree with much that has been said on here, but the video of the Ritz bar on NOLA is closest to what I do.  I wouldn't muddle an orange slice or anything like that, even a cherry, but I do had a sliver of orange peel in the cocktail.   The tiniest hint of orange makes the drink for me.  And I use bourbon.   

where the fuck is bozo hiding?

Just now, DFWTexEx said:

I agree with much that has been said on here, but the video of the Ritz bar on NOLA is closest to what I do.  I wouldn't muddle an orange slice or anything like that, even a cherry, but I do had a sliver of orange peel in the cocktail.   The tiniest hint of orange makes the drink for me.  And I use bourbon.   

Gagree, except Rye. 

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

where the fuck is bozo hiding?

Beat me to it by 8 minutes.

I try to keep about half a cup of fresh turbinado simple syrup on hand, which I think compliments the bitters and rye well. I'll combine ~3/4 teaspoon of the simple syrup with 3 generous shakes of angostura bitters in an old fashion glass, and stir well. Then 3oz of Old Overholt Rye and a single large ice cube and stir well. Squeeze orange rind over the top and drop in the rind.  

10 hours ago, HouTex said:

IMO, simple syrup doesn't work as well as sugar dissolved with bitters and a little water.  I think it's something about heating up the sugar.  An OF is my favorite cocktail.  

I agree with this.

Another key to the OF is the sugar must be completely dissolved before too much rye/bourbon is added or it may not fully dissolve.  I make sure all of the sugar is dissolved before I add any booze.  I can't stand it when most of the sugar is in the last few sips.  I think this is why some bars/people use simple syrup.

Someone critique my old fashioned recipie:

Add .25 to .5 oz of agave nectar (slightly different mouth feel, no need to worry about sugar crystals not dissolving)
Add a dash or two of orange bitters
Add 1oz burbon (currently trying some Belle Meade that's been damn tasty)
Stir to combine. I have a milk frother/stirrer thing that I sometimes use instead of a stirring spoon that aerates the hell out of it and incorporates the ingredients really well. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
Add ice cube
Add 1oz burbon
Garnish with luxardo cherry and orange peel, expressing orange oils onto rim of glass

I'm pretty happy with it and my buddies like it, but I'm curious what the shag elite think

1 tsp of powered sugar soaked with 5 dashes of angostura bitters and a splash of water - stir to combine/dissolve

2 oz of good rye

rim the glass with a slice of orange peel and drop it in along with a cherry if I have one.

I like either crushed ice or the large iceball then I enjoy the changing flavors as the ice dilutes the whiskey

Love a good OF and like other stuff too.  Was in a cool little whiskey bar in hollywood CA last week called Lost Property.  The bartender was awesome.  Had an OF or two then he said he would make me something.  I like cherries, so he whipped up a "red hook".  real simple, very good:

Rye whiskey 2 oz

Punt e Mes/vermouth 1/2 oz

Maraschino liqueur 1/4 oz

22 minutes ago, chesthair said:

Love a good OF and like other stuff too.  Was in a cool little whiskey bar in hollywood CA last week called Lost Property.  The bartender was awesome.  Had an OF or two then he said he would make me something.  I like cherries, so he whipped up a "red hook".  real simple, very good:

Rye whiskey 2 oz

Punt e Mes/vermouth 1/2 oz

Maraschino liqueur 1/4 oz

Isn't that basically just a manhattan?

2 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I thought Biscuits and Groovy was Bozo. An Old Fashioned is my go to cocktail, but I prefer to make my own. It's amazing how many different methods bartenders use to build them. Around here anyway, most are pretty bad.

It's really amazing to me how many bartenders fuck up an Old Fashioned. I travel a lot for work, and the OF is pretty much my go to bar drink. 90% of them are terrible. At home I'll occasionally add a splash of St Germaine to my OF...It's an interesting flavor profile. If I do that, I cut way back on the sugar as elderflower liquor is pretty sweet.