Official 2018 bitch about family/holiday drama thread

GhostOfTomJoad

Honestly, the rural/urban divide is pretty similar across all states that aren't in the heart of the confederacy. Even here in Texas. Hell, Four of the big five counties are 60 plus percent Democratic while the rural counties are all 70 percent or more Republican. It's even present in the bluest of blue states - leave NYC, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, etc... The rural areas are red as can be. It is the way of the wold these days.

Back to your regularly scheduled bitching.

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Anyone post the looking at Christmas lights in his own neighborhood story? I thought about it last night when we were hanging out in my buddy’s driveway watching cars roll by looking at lights. He lives in Pecan Grove (west of Houston in Richmond). It’s popular for lights and hay rides to see the lights. There are folks on those rides that live in the neighborhood. It reminds me of that shagsters story.

• Like 1

Ok my only bitch for the season and it's so purely selfish. . .my kids, their mom and stepdad, and their grandmother went to Jordan for Christmas, my husband in law either wanted to 1. See Petra, or 2. Find a remote place to dispose of a body.

Anyway I miss the kids, but at least they're coming to see me in January before heading back to college. And they get to travel which is priceless.

Saw a photo on FB with my son, daughter, and their stepdad standing in front of some historical ruins at Jarash and showed it to my wife and said honey can we get this printed and framed? She laughed her ass off. Stepdad is actually a very good dude and we always joke about taking the kids and him on vacay and leaving my ex at home alone.

I do have a shit ton of brand new in law drama going on, just horrible pathetic tragic dysfunction. I'll post more later but the takeaway is dont stick your dick in crazy no matter how hot and dirty she (SIL, and no not me) is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luke duke said:

My FIL asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee when I got up this morning. I said yes and he proceeded to pour a cup and put it in the microwave. As he hands it to me he tells me that it was from yesterday’s pot that he wanted to finish off so he could make a fresh one.

He’s retired with more money than he will ever be able to spend in his lifetime.

That's a generational thing. I grew up with my great grandparents who lived thru the Great depression. Their entire lives were spent re using tin foil......

• Like 1

My FIL asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee when I got up this morning. I said yes and he proceeded to pour a cup and put it in the microwave. As he hands it to me he tells me that it was from yesterday’s pot that he wanted to finish off so he could make a fresh one.

He’s retired with more money than he will ever be able to spend in his lifetime.
My very wealthy late grandfather always did this too.

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's a generational thing. I grew up with my great grandparents who lived thru the Great depression. Their entire lives were spent re using tin foil......

There is no reason to throw away perfectly reusable tinfoil as long as it ain’t greasy.

15 minutes ago, luke duke said:

That's a power move by him, makes you remember where you are on the family totem pole.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Throw it in his face.

My FIL is always offering me beer and whiskey.  Granted they're both bottom shelf swill, it's the gesture that count.

• Like 1

Ok here goes.

Prepping for annual boudreauxcoonass/riveroaksjews/sanfrancisconttawwdgayuncles/christmaseve/hannakah which is always interesting.

I'm stumped. What kind of original gift do I get the uncles from SF? They drive teslas, square dance, are docents at the SF art museum, and wear lavender jeans/shirts/shoes? Retired silicon valley techsters.

box of ammo? Yeti?

Muledick. DUH stupid sip.
  • Like 1

I was referring to my in-laws. They were born in the 50s.    

Microwave? Fuck that shit. Cold coffee, kahlua (or brandy, burbon, rum, tequila, scotch, vodka, gin, absenth, jager, robitussin, etc.), ice, It's beginning to look alot like Christmas iced breakfast coffee!  with a side of rotel velveeta dip and fritos   

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I drink Jack Daniels. Everyone knows this. Someone gave me a bottle of Jim Beam Honey as a gift. Wtf?

Turns out, it’s great in coffee.

It was a banner year in the tbone house...my old man tossed me a bottle of Jim Beam Honey and said "Drink up, kid!"  

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Does reheated Folgers (or similar) taste any worse than 1st run? And remember these people grew up drinking instant coffee.

You don't have instant coffee?  Who does have instant coffee?  You buy a jar of Folger's Crystals, you put in the cupboard, you forget about it.  And later on, when you need it---it's there.  

It lasts forever.  It's freeze dried.  Freeze-Dried Crystals.  

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Well look, there are two liquids that are acceptable in coffee.

Jameson and Bailey's.

I'm not saying you're wrong about the Beam Honey in coffee, but you're wrong about the Beam Honey in coffee.

I guess in a pinch, you have to get rid of it.. but.. it's a poor substitute for the proper coffee additives.

You ever tried vodka in coffee?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

No comrade I have not, mainly because I didn't grow up in fucking Russia without Bailey's and Jameson.

Lol. 

Something about black coffee and a good grain vodka revs my engine. Needs to be good and hot though.

It can also get you dangerously hammered so there's that.

Oh, right, I should also mention I'm a complete degenerate but you already knew that.

Edited by ztejas

53 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

No comrade I have not, mainly because I didn't grow up in fucking Russia without Bailey's and Jameson.

I think you're drinking too much coffee brah, Jamesons or baileys not withstanding.....  just sayin'.      And bourbon is a completely logical and acceptable coffee additive.

On the way home from work, drove by Specs at I-45 and Rayford.  Parking lot was overflowing.

I thought of this thread immediately.

Poor bastards.

also, and maybe this is for the beer thread; but do people drink everything they buy every day?  Why the fucking last minute shopping for stuff that's got a great shelflife?

Edited by slorch

Well look, there are two liquids that are acceptable in coffee.
Jameson and Bailey's.
I'm not saying you're wrong about the Beam Honey in coffee, but you're wrong about the Beam Honey in coffee.
I guess in a pinch, you have to get rid of it.. but.. it's a poor substitute for the proper coffee additives.

Nah. It’s pretty good.