Official 2018 bitch about family/holiday drama thread

GhostOfTomJoad

I love my family and we get along very well. But a couple hours is about all I can take. Being the one that cooks helps make it manageable at least since I can immerse myself in the kitchen for a day and a half.

I'd much rather be sitting at Duke's Bar in London sipping a martini, but I steel myself because I can't take away the grandkid from my folks or my wife's folks. A castle in Scotland would be nice too, out in the woods with the wife and kid and some servants.

Just now, G650 said:

I love my family and we get along very well. But a couple hours is about all I can take. Being the one that cooks helps make it manageable at least since I can immerse myself in the kitchen for a day and a half.

I'd much rather be sitting at Duke's Bar in London sipping a martini, but I steel myself because I can't take away the grandkid from my folks or my wife's folks. A castle in Scotland would be nice too, out in the woods with the wife and kid and some servants.

fuckin'  wannabe .........Sir G650 over here....  That's old school Va.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

fuckin'  wannabe .........Sir G650 over here....  That's old school Va.

Lol.

I'll have you know I can point out the ancestral family home outside of Darlington, County Durham England. Though the rumor is our side of the family left the British Isles under somewhat inauspicious circumstances, which I imagine is par for the course for all of us native Virginians.

hF8787435

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Lol.

I'll have you know I can point out the ancestral family home outside of Darlington, County Durham England. Though the rumor is our side of the family left the British Isles under somewhat inauspicious circumstances, which I imagine is par for the course for all of us native Virginians.

hF8787435

Heh heh, well of course we Americans have been kicked our of the best countries all over the world.  I know my Paternal Great grandfather was an Irish Mick with a pretty violent drinking problem.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Our priest wouldn't ask.  He likes us and doesn't give me any shit for not being Catholic, not even hinting remotely at a desire to convert and he knows we didn't get married in a Catholic Church, we got married outside on a Sunday not using diocese clergy and had no communion; but still got the Church to endorse the wedding as an officially sanctified and sacramental ceremony.  However, the woman in the front office that collects the paperwork before you can have a baptism at the Church...holy shit---she loves her some paperwork.  We have to send the name of the sponsoring Catholic.  And then my wife is nervous that the church will somehow find out that one of her middle sisters has been living with a guy for 15 years while unmarried.  But I got shit from the wife because I pointed out, "15 years living together, jointly titled on a home and a few other assets...yeah---they're common law married."  Her mother cried about it all and sobbed over the fact that the Catholic Church doesn't recognize common law marriages.  My reply was, "Welp, good thing the IRS does."  

Their rules are just an absolute fucking beating of exhaustive proportions.  And they fail to understand that a prayer to literally 15 different saints before a meal is only made tolerable by having some alcohol on the table during said meal.  But nope, theological intolerance and Pepsi for these folks!  

Catholics without booze?  You sure they aren't spiking that Pepsi?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Catholics without booze?  You sure they aren't spiking that Pepsi?

My god, I wish they were.  Almost all the cousins and most of the aunts/uncles tie one on, but for some reason when they are all together...the alcohol supply dries up rather quickly.  They're kinda like baptists in the respect, like they can all tie one on in their regular lives but not around one another.  

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

My god, I wish they were.  Almost all the cousins and most of the aunts/uncles tie one on, but for some reason when they are all together...the alcohol supply dries up rather quickly.  They're kinda like baptists in the respect, like they can all tie one on in their regular lives but not around one another.  

Funny, I grew up with my moms family for the most part. They were Baptists and didn't drink, but didn't make any big deal it of it or others, in the family who did drink. There was never alcohol at any family events, and it didn't seemed to be missed.

My older cousin (and his wife) who I grew up with like he was an older brother drinks a beer or mixed drink from time to time, but not often. When he's at our place on Thanksgiving he likes to have a few bourbon &  gingers.  It's one of the few times a year he drinks, and its always fun cause he's  having a good time, and I get to get him buzzed...

Edited by Onboard 2.0

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Catholic/Baptist hybrid? Mother of god.

34 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Odd.

My family is heavily Catholic (more in a heritage way, and less in a strict dogmatic way) and they've all been partiers as far back as they've been here (about 120 years).  But then again, we're German (maybe you are as well), it's embedded in the blood line.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Going to ranch Thursday after work as kids get dismissed at noon that day for Christmas break.  I think there will be 30 of us there. Half are kids 0-13.   I love it.  Will be like a Griswold Christmas as we will all be together 6 nights.  But kids sleep on third floor in bunk beds and adults all have our own rooms and bathrooms.  We assign meals and clean up duties.  

We all get along pretty damn well.  Will be food, booze, fires, shooting, fishing, hunting, etc.  My family is realtively normal and harmonious.  

I'll bet the kids love it even more than you do.  

I'm 40 years old, and still remember Christmas Eve at my grandparents' house.  My mom is one of 17 kids- each set of parents got their own bedroom, but there were grandkids in sleeping bags from one end of the main floor to the other.  Loved it, but it was the shits if you were on the outside and someone in the middle got up in the middle of the night to pee...

15 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I'm 40 years old, and still remember Christmas Eve at my grandparents' house.  My mom is one of 17 kids- each set of parents got their own bedroom, but there were grandkids in sleeping bags from one end of the main floor to the other.  Loved it, but it was the shits if you were on the outside and someone in the middle got up in the middle of the night to pee...

Holy mother of God.  And each set of parents got their own room?  Tha fuck did your grandparents do for a living?  Run a junta in Chile?

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion- we were never all there at the same time- just people from one end of the house to the other.  House seemed like it was built more vertically than horizontally- bachelor uncles in the basement, kids in the two living room areas with the Christmas tree on the main floor, and aunts and uncles in the 2nd story of the house. 

It was a gigantic, really old house.  Had an awesome screened-in porch where we slept in the summertime.  We had our choice of the porch or the aforementioned living room floor. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

A Baptholic?  Sceery stuff man...

That's me, Catholic school Monday to Friday, Baptist Church and Sunday school followed by a stern lecture form the nuns if I let on I went to baptist church.  As little kid I thought the baptists were the poor relations cause the Catholics had saints, and the baptists didn't.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's me, Catholic school Monday to Friday, Baptist Church and Sunday school followed by a stern lecture form the nuns if I let on I went to baptist church.  As little kid I thought the baptists were the poor relations cause the Catholics had saints, and the baptists didn't.

Lol, hell it makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Wow.  And you're not a psychopath?

Heading out this morning for the trip to the in-laws. Wife picked up for beautiful fillets & some green beans, salad, etc so we can make dinner while we're there (her mother informed her that the only veggie they had was potato salad). Got a couple bottles of wine & throwing my trusty Weber Smokey Joe in back so I don't have to mess with his 40 year old POS offset smoker. 

Wife told me her mom has assured her she'd have The Talk with her dad prior to her arrival, meaning he won't barrage us with political talk as soon as we arrive. If he keeps his word he'll be through speaking to us within ten minutes. Fingers fucking crossed.

Can we have a new rule...I get that you're gonna keep your purse and phone/phone charger out on my kitchen counter during your entire stay so that we all see you have an iPhone 6S or whatever with the fashionable cover.  And I love seeing your purse that has seen the floor of every public bathroom between Saint Louis and Austin on the very spot where I prepare my daughter's lunch on the weekends. 

But can you finish your goddamn fucking Starbuck's iced latter mocha who-gives-a-fuck beverage already?  You arrived with it at 10:30a, totally a reasonable hour to have a large iced coffee drink.  You left it all over the house with your name sticker and price still on it so we know you enjoy complicated, $7 coffee drinks on the reg a la Kenny Powers.  And there it sits, all over my house after lunch, all the way into the evening.  With nary an ice cube left, just two tepid sips left at the very bottom.  And I find it every fucking hour on the hour in a different place, leaving a coffee stained ring every fucking place you go, with the straw clinging to the last inch of its mangled life.  And then as I clean up after dinner, I politely inquire if I can dispose of the cup along with the day's trash...you still have to fucking chime in..."Oh no, that's my go-to drink at Starbuck's...I'm still working on it, but thanks."  And I have to find that fucking syrupy disgrace the next fucking morning with the little remnant dots of where you took it to and fro about my home, like the jizz remnants of a woman who may have gone too far with Terry Crews.  But yes, this holiday season...may all we remember you get super awesome drinks at Starbuck's and milk them for a day while the rest of us proudly serve and drink Trader Joe's drip coffee made with love, frugality, and a deep respect for space and time.  

Edited by Lobo

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Can we have a new rule...I get that you're gonna keep your purse and phone/phone charger out on my kitchen counter during your entire stay so that we all see you have an iPhone 6S or whatever with the fashionable cover.  And I love seeing your purse that has seen the floor of every public bathroom between Saint Louis and Austin on the very spot where I prepare my daughter's lunch on the weekends. 

But can you finish your goddamn fucking Starbuck's iced latter mocha who-gives-a-fuck beverage already?  You arrived with it at 10:30a, totally a reasonable hour to have a large iced coffee drink.  You left it all over the house with your name sticker and price still on it so we know you enjoy complicated, $7 coffee drinks on the reg a la Kenny Powers.  And there it sits, all over my house after lunch, all the way into the evening.  With nary an ice cube left, just two tepid sips left at the very bottom.  And I find it every fucking hour on the hour in a different place, leaving a coffee stained ring every fucking place you go, with the straw clinging to the last inch of its mangled life.  And then as I clean up after dinner, I politely inquire if I can dispose of the cup along with the day's trash...you still have to fucking chime in..."Oh no, that's my go-to drink at Starbuck's...I'm still working on it, but thanks."  And I have to find that fucking syrupy disgrace the next fucking morning with the little remnant dots of where you took it to and fro about my home, like the jizz remnants of a woman who may have gone too far with Terry Crews.  But yes, this holiday season...may all we remember you get super awesome drinks at Starbuck's and milk them for a day while the rest of us proudly serve and drink Trader Joe's drip coffee made with love, frugality, and a deep respect for space and time.  

Image result for clap gif

• Like 1

dd441e2d8168b38bb3a38d6ed9961ed7.gif
  • Like 4

This year we will be informing all family on both sides that after this year we will be spending Christmas eve and day at our own house. Enough is a fucking enough with shlepping kids around to three different houses (total driving = 1,000 miles) over the course of 4 days.

Before God, I swerar this year is the last time I drive from Kyle to Denton. Never again.

Also, Lobo, I believe the relative you are referring to is my wife, so sorry about that.

Wait, you said St. Louis? Nevermind, its not her.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2018 at 11:59 AM, Lobo said:

That really does stink though because a lot of older folks that still use old school USPS are the demographic that still sends gift cards, too.  So it's a doubly vulnerable situation in the first few weeks of December...particularly those that live in more rural areas as my in-laws do.  Since they trust community banks, a federally chartered one needs to issue some kind of digitally secure gift card that can be cancelled out if not received on the other end by a certain date.  The USPS I guess would also have to be involved, I dunno.  

Back to the topic of the thread...One of my wife's sisters announced she is unable to travel for Christmas because her dog is sick.  She doesn't believe in boarding it and barely believes in proper vet care.  I'm glad actually since she can suck the fun out of a Mardi Gras parade.  But she's now shitting on our baptism plan for April/May.  She can't travel then either, unless of course the dog is dead.  And my wife needs her to be the sponsor since Catholic Churches demand a Catholic sponsor it.

I've got a bunch of family members you can borrow. All they require for payment is beer in the day and bourbon at night. 

So what’s the new rule?

This year we will be informing all family on both sides that after this year we will be spending Christmas eve and day at our own house. Enough is a fucking enough with shlepping kids around to three different houses (total driving = 1,000 miles) over the course of 4 days.
Before God, I swerar this year is the last time I drive from Kyle to Denton. Never again.

Also, Lobo, I believe the relative you are referring to is my wife, so sorry about that.

You’ll go next year and you know it.

e1a83cfe3a498d622c5cbff4c88d0541.gif
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

chill out, she's still working on it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, a quality rant but it's your own house.  Shoulda policed up that cup after the first hour and thrown it away.  Just shrug and say  "It looked like you were through"    Politeness just got you cleaning up someone else's coffee ring stains and ...

giphy.gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'm with you on that one. We did the same thing last year - told everyone we wouldn't be doing the fucking tour de Texas and spending more time in the car than actually enjoying our Christmas this year. The wife, baby and I are eating breakfast, opening presents, going to Crown and Anchor for lunch, then coming back and hanging at the house, drinking wine, and hot tubbing. Probably throw on some Christmas classics like Christmas Vacation, Trading Places, and basketball. Might walk the neighborhood with the stroller to check out the lights, if we're feeling really wild and crazy. A few of the family is still passive aggressive pissy at us. But they were warned, and I don't care. First time I've looked forward to Christmas since I was a kid.

Do it - you won't regret it.

Edited by BradInATX

In laws added wifi so we have a connection to reality.

2 MAGA hats are sitting on the coffee table, flanking a cross.

FIL is deaf as a post so relies on TV ear headphones to watch TV. His old pair burned out so I had to install the new pair. Instructions say they need to charge 7 hours prior to first use. He's beside himself that he cant turn on fox news until 9pm.

Wife and I took a long walk around the ranch with the dogs while he napped. Came back to see him put a .22 through a very dead armadillo burrowed up by his foundation.

I'm ready for a drink.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lateshow said:

I've got a bunch of family members you can borrow. All they require for payment is beer in the day and bourbon at night. 

Lateshow - don't forget the in-laws - I'm pretty sure some of yours will go a long way for pills and cheap vodka.