Official 2018 bitch about family/holiday drama thread

GhostOfTomJoad

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ho mother fucking ho ho right there....100% spot on.

Gonna go with team ham for Xmas. You can have your tacos too, and I'll gladly have a few, but no ham on Xmas ??  fuck that noise.

whynotboth?.gif

I'm thinking shredded honeybaked ham tacos

• Like 2

LOL, just got off the phone with the old man. He said he was flustered about the taco stuff because he "didn't know what he needed to get from the store".  I just said we'd handle all of that and he can just get the drinks. He sounded relieved and said that was just fine.

HAMGATE 2018 HAS BEEN AVERTED!!!

• Like 4

Christmas neighbor? I’ll be out that way off of Hwy 83 for 5 days around Christmas. The hardest part is somehow smuggling out son’s presents out there without him noticing as he still kind of believes in Santa.
That's farther west than us. 290 and 479.

On the bright side we're not having much luck securing one of our go to pet sitters so we might be doing the cannonball run day trip.

10 hours ago, Sandman said:

LOL, just got off the phone with the old man. He said he was flustered about the taco stuff because he "didn't know what he needed to get from the store".  I just said we'd handle all of that and he can just get the drinks. He sounded relieved and said that was just fine.

now youre making your widow dad buy his jerk kids the expensive booze while you guys buy cheap ground beef, cheese, salsa, a few seasoning packets for 20 bucks?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Over the years as our older relatives have passed on we've merged two traditions so our "traditional" Christmas dinner is now ham, enchilada casserole, three or four kinds of tamales, Swedish sausage, lutefisk, yeast rolls, and various sides that people feel like making, plus whatever delicious concoction my Dad pulls from his genius cooking mind. 

We always seem to have a full house from both sides of the family, and enough leftovers for three additional meals.

• Like 1

I could have complained a lot about my side of the family for various reasons .....But one thing I couldn't bitch about was Xmas meal flexibility.

If someone had an idea to do something different, everyone was all in.  Someone would say they wanted seafood - we did it.  Mexican - game on.  Usually every 3rd or 4th year we'd mix it up and go off script.  We still had a couple of staples from traditional menus that we made regardless, but nothing says Christmas like frying shrimp, shucking oysters, and a side of cornbread dressing.

Enjoy your taco bar- but get some ham......

• Like 1

We pretty much mix it up every year, but always stick to winter dishes. Last year I did Osso Buco, Coq au Vin the year before.

This year we are going pasta rolls filled with a meat sauce like a bolognese with chicken livers, covered in bechamel and manchego cheese.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

Go to hell 

Yeah SIL and BIL always have a big crockpot of barbacoa bought from the carniceria that morning with flour tortillas, corn tortillas, cilantro, lettuce, and green sauce. Goes well with the cheap beer, pan dulce, and big pot of pozole. We'll snack on that shit all day. I never want to go back to being white.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Felix said:

Over the years as our older relatives have passed on we've merged two traditions so our "traditional" Christmas dinner is now ham, enchilada casserole, three or four kinds of tamales, Swedish sausage, lutefisk, yeast rolls, and various sides that people feel like making, plus whatever delicious concoction my Dad pulls from his genius cooking mind. 

We always seem to have a full house from both sides of the family, and enough leftovers for three additional meals.

Of all the things that I'm glad to have left behind when I escaped Minnesota, lutefisk has got to be #1 on the list. I damn near get dry heaves just thinking about that shit. 

On 11/29/2018 at 7:18 PM, Sandman said:

Resurrecting Hamgate.   You know what goes good with tacos?  A big pot of pinto beans.  You know what goes well with a big pot of pinto beans?  That’s right, ham.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, G650 said:

We pretty much mix it up every year, but always stick to winter dishes. Last year I did Osso Buco, Coq au Vin the year before.

This year we are going pasta rolls filled with a meat sauce like a bolognese with chicken livers, covered in bechamel and manchego cheese.

You had me at bolognese, won me completely over with chicken livers. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

Christmas dinner? Tonight? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? 

One thing that has allowed us through the years to avoid having petty bullshit arguments and power plays is that neither one of our families has a "You gotta do it on this day and this fucking day only" attitude.

Well, that...and we had the grandkids, so we had immunity...

We treat birthdays and other stuff the same-  we gonna celebrate when we have the chance to get together.  FTR, we are doing Thanksgiving with her side of the family this weekend.  Can't wait.  Her uncle and aunt host.  He has awesome man cave and they have patio/ outdoor kitchen/ heater towers so we crank up the margamarita machine for the ladies and knock back some brewskies. into the evening.  It's always a relaxing good time.

One thing about the different weekend, the wife made it clear that from 2-6, the Army-Navy Game would be priority.  I didn't have to say a word.

So, now that i said all that, it will probably go to hell in a handbasket over some trivial bullshit...

Go Army!  Beat Navy!

On 12/1/2018 at 7:11 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Of all the things that I'm glad to have left behind when I escaped Minnesota, lutefisk has got to be #1 on the list. I damn near get dry heaves just thinking about that shit. 

I consider myself a connoisseur of weird meats that Europeans brought to the upper Midwest (head cheese, jaternice, braunschweiger, etc), but fuck lutefisk.