New Bowl Game Coming in 2020: Myrtle Beach Bowl

Vic Mackey

Don't really care about added bowl games. I will only watch a few, but several of those will be on a whim, so additional games means I might get to watch football on a whim...

That said I would be willing to have less bowl games to expand the playoffs. I also think all teams, no matter their record, should have the option of the two weeks of post-season practice that is afforded to bowl and playoff teams. The dregs should have the chance to get a leg up on the next season by getting in some practice, if they so desire.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

I've never understood people complaining about more bowl games... it's football. And it's kids playing football having a great time doing so with the travel, extra practices, gifts and freebies, some of them flying for the first time in their life, and the potential to win one more game (especially for seniors who are done).

Any bowl game, ANY, is more significant and better to watch than the cupcake games teams like Alabama in the SEC schedule this week (fucking Citadel).

Beat me to it.  Hell I watched almost 3 hours of Ball St/Western Mich last night.  

Fuck all of you haters.

College football is the greatest sport on Earth period.

Bowl games have always been nothing more than exhibitions in their entire existence until the so called playoff was created.

I watch every college football game that I can including all of those Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday and Friday games.

They are almost always some of the most entertaining games you will see by the way. Tuesday night was Western Michigan and Ball State in a very good overtime game.

I also watch all of the D2 and D3 "actual" playoff games in December. 

I will watch all or part of every bowl game as usual. If you hate them don't watch. Do something with your wife and kids or watch some stupid ass network television show.

I will watch college football instead.

The end.

Edited by Steamboat1874

20 hours ago, mdleast said:

I used to be in the camp of thinking that all of additional now games were watering down what it meant to be “bowl eligible” especially when 5-7 teams are needed.

However I’ve since realized that more college football games (especially in mid to late December when we will soon be facing a desert of no CFB games for almost 8 loooonnnnggg months) is always a good thing. While I’m certainly not watching all of these bowls (especially lesser ones) the prospect of more bowl games increases the possibility of some that I will be interested in watching.

Don’t overthink this, folks.

Anyone who thinks there are too many bowl games doesn't have elderly parents/in-laws that they have to visit during the holidays.  

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

How do you feel about Azusa Pacific getting a bid over a team with with two 1-point losses to ranked teams?

My alma mater? I was pissed at the NCAA, but mostly for allowing all of what transpired in the Commerce game, which was an abject disgrace to humanity. Regardless, them's the breaks. Even with a win vs. Commerce, we still wouldn't have won our conference (Tarleton was unbeaten) and had to rely on outside help to get in. I hate being in that position and fully recognize its perils.

Edited by hpslugga

3 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

My alma mater? I was pissed at the NCAA, but mostly for allowing all of what transpired in the Commerce game, which was an abject disgrace to humanity. Them's the breaks.

What was the problem with the Commerce game?  Was that the one that took two days to play?

21 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

What was the problem with the Commerce game?  Was that the one that took two days to play?

Oh that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah, there was a lightning delay and the game was postponed with a 10-10 halftime score. Without any agreement from the coaches, AD's, etc, Commerce's staff decided all on its own immediately to load up the buses and head back home. Upon hearing this, our AD immediately got on the phone with theirs and after what I'm told was a lengthy stand-and-trade, it was agreed that the game would resume at 2pm the next day...at fucking Apogee Stadium in Denton, TX. What that means is that Commerce was categorically refusing to play the game in Wichita Falls, which is where it was scheduled to play. When you refuse to play a game where it's supposed to take place, the other team has every right to lobby the NCAA to count that game as a forfeit. For reasons not explained, we decided to go along with it.

But it gets worse than that.

With around 3 minutes to go, we're down 20-19 and are lining up for a FG. It gets blocked, but then Commerce pulls a Leon Lett. One of their guys in the back makes very obvious contact with the ball, then one of our players picks it up and runs it into the end zone. The play is initially ruled a Midwestern State touchdown. Admittedly, that would be the wrong call is that would be a muff and muffs cannot be advanced. So the correct call would be Midwestern ball, First and Goal on the 5...

Then the officials get into what seems like a 7-minute conversation and it's ultimately decided that it's Commerce's ball. The reason given to Midwestern Head Coach Bill Maskill? That because the ball crossed the line of scrimmage, it's a dead ball. Well yeah, that's correct, but the problem is that ball is turned live the instant the Commerce player touched it, which the referee never actually denied. There is no difference between a partially blocked punt and a partially blocked FG: in either case, if either cross the LOS, if a defending player touches the ball, it's a muff and it's fucking live.

So they fucked us on allowing that game to be moved, and they fucked us again on what should have been a very obvious muff call.

I have no issue with the Tarleton game because we had scored a late TD to cut it to a 1-point game and possibly send it to OT, but the holder couldn't handle the snap on the PAT and he was sacked. As I said before, them's the breaks. Still, that Commerce game was a total fraud.

And to be fair, it's not all on the NCAA. The LSC should never have allowed that freakshow to go on either.

Edited by hpslugga

The list of cities with bowl games that are shitty places to visit gets longer and longer each year.  And somehow Austin is left holding its dick.  We are an over-festival'd town in the Autumn and Spring.  But who gives a shit about the week between Christmas and New Years?  Why not pack up a few hotels, have a couple million dropped in our lap by tourists, teams, and sponsors?  Doesn't hurt anybody.  

Bears repeating---the more adamant someone is about how we have too many bowl games, the more NFL fantasy football that guy plays.  He wastes his entire Sunday watching meaningless games because he needs points from that receiver or kicker.  For 21 weeks in a row.  But he'll be goddamned if some MAC team is gonna have a kick ass time in great weather for a week in December.  

I just like to be able to turn on the TV any time day or night for about a 2 week stretch before the great drought begins and find a live college football game on.

I also do agree with something that was said upthread and that is they should allow all teams to practice the extra 15 or so days after the regular season is over even if they're not going to be playing in a bowl.

^
we forget at a football rich university, that for many NCAA Div. I teams, those extra 15 days of practice with no bowl game revenue coming in, are too expensive for about half the member schools to conduct without a game/payout as the end goal.  Salaries are obviously annualized, but just turning on the lights, prepping the field, drinks, camera crews, guys just handling footballs, equipment managers, busses, food, athletic tape, ice, etc., etc., etc.  all that shit for 115 players and coaching and 20 extra staff folks just to stand around and go fetch shit.  Then think about schools with climate controlled practice bubbles, just heating those things in late December.  It can cost $10,000+ to conduct one full 2-3 hour practice for an FBS football program.  Times 15?  Shit adds up.  

On 11/15/2018 at 9:35 AM, hpslugga said:

Oh that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah, there was a lightning delay and the game was postponed with a 10-10 halftime score. Without any agreement from the coaches, AD's, etc, Commerce's staff decided all on its own immediately to load up the buses and head back home. Upon hearing this, our AD immediately got on the phone with theirs and after what I'm told was a lengthy stand-and-trade, it was agreed that the game would resume at 2pm the next day...at fucking Apogee Stadium in Denton, TX. What that means is that Commerce was categorically refusing to play the game in Wichita Falls, which is where it was scheduled to play. When you refuse to play a game where it's supposed to take place, the other team has every right to lobby the NCAA to count that game as a forfeit. For reasons not explained, we decided to go along with it.

But it gets worse than that.

With around 3 minutes to go, we're down 20-19 and are lining up for a FG. It gets blocked, but then Commerce pulls a Leon Lett. One of their guys in the back makes very obvious contact with the ball, then one of our players picks it up and runs it into the end zone. The play is initially ruled a Midwestern State touchdown. Admittedly, that would be the wrong call is that would be a muff and muffs cannot be advanced. So the correct call would be Midwestern ball, First and Goal on the 5...

Then the officials get into what seems like a 7-minute conversation and it's ultimately decided that it's Commerce's ball. The reason given to Midwestern Head Coach Bill Maskill? That because the ball crossed the line of scrimmage, it's a dead ball. Well yeah, that's correct, but the problem is that ball is turned live the instant the Commerce player touched it, which the referee never actually denied. There is no difference between a partially blocked punt and a partially blocked FG: in either case, if either cross the LOS, if a defending player touches the ball, it's a muff and it's fucking live.

So they fucked us on allowing that game to be moved, and they fucked us again on what should have been a very obvious muff call.

I have no issue with the Tarleton game because we had scored a late TD to cut it to a 1-point game and possibly send it to OT, but the holder couldn't handle the snap on the PAT and he was sacked. As I said before, them's the breaks. Still, that Commerce game was a total fraud.

And to be fair, it's not all on the NCAA. The LSC should never have allowed that freakshow to go on either.

Well it looks like the NCAA made the wrong call on Azusa Pacific after all.

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

They should have a bowl for every team every year. I'd be down to watch 1-11 Kent State play 1-11 Louisiana-Monroe in Pigeon Forge, TN.

If you make the bowl more gimmicky the worse the teams are, then I'm in for it. Make 'em play football in a mud pit, for example. Or have random explosions all over the field or something.

• Like 1

This is where they should send any 2 teams on probation.

Visiting Damascus seems like ten steps up by comparison.
This is an awesome idea!!

Two teams on probation. Game played at the Angola Plantation in the Louisiana State Penitentiary. This idea, I like it.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:57 PM, Lobo said:

^
we forget at a football rich university, that for many NCAA Div. I teams, those extra 15 days of practice with no bowl game revenue coming in, are too expensive for about half the member schools to conduct without a game/payout as the end goal.  Salaries are obviously annualized, but just turning on the lights, prepping the field, drinks, camera crews, guys just handling footballs, equipment managers, busses, food, athletic tape, ice, etc., etc., etc.  all that shit for 115 players and coaching and 20 extra staff folks just to stand around and go fetch shit.  Then think about schools with climate controlled practice bubbles, just heating those things in late December.  It can cost $10,000+ to conduct one full 2-3 hour practice for an FBS football program.  Times 15?  Shit adds up.  

Bowl games pay out money for both winners and losers. I'd have to look at the accounting behind those payouts but I would imagine that every participant is at least breaking even when it comes to bowl-associated costs for their program. 

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Bowl games pay out money for both winners and losers. I'd have to look at the accounting behind those payouts but I would imagine that every participant is at least breaking even when it comes to bowl-associated costs for their program. 

I thought they pay out in tickets you can't even give away.

4 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

I thought they pay out in tickets you can't even give away.

Best article I could find after a quick google. So, some schools may be losing money at the end of the day but overall it is difficult to quantify. 

At the very least, I would say the majority of programs are seeing a benefit to their bottom line - especially those playing on the bigger stages (obviously that is not what this thread is about - just fleshing out the discussion). 

• 4 weeks later...

What a fucking joke. The only sport that has this shit fucking system and you actually have grown men who defend this because "omg moar football is better!!!". 

The fact that your semifinals and finals are not the last 3 games of the season is ignorant. 15 bowls between semifinals and the finals? Good lord.