Mike Gundy solves college football's fake injury problems but not coronavirus or BLM

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Or players can respect a that a coach can have political beliefs and stances different than their own, and the only thing that matters is whether that coach treats them with dignity and respect otherwise. It’s asinine that anyone has to completely support the political bent of college kids or be publicly excoriated for it.  

Ah, yes, the one-way street. Gundy, the man paid millions to lead the program, can go out of his way to make a political statement, but a player responding to that is just completely out of line. Your second sentence is another example of the kind of ridiculous victimhood nonsense that keeps showing up in this thread and I don't feel the need to address it again.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I remember the first, and possibly only time I ever flipped on OAN. 

Think this was early in its existence. With the amateurish studio talent, relatively poor production value and fucking bizarre angle on news, for a minute I truly thought it was some kind of satirical thing. 

I like that it exists. If someone speaks up in its defense, you can know right away that the person is a god damn idiot and you can move on to someone who may offer some value to the world.

I had no idea who OAN was until we all started working from home and I started watching Trump's COVID-19 briefings. I kept hearing really, really stupid questions from a reporter in the back and Trump indulging said questions. It was an OAN reporter and you could see other reporters rolling their eyes when OAN was given the mic.

• Like 1

No CR, bro!

But let me put it this way for the football board...In his most coked-up week on the job, Chip Brown has more journalistic integrity than anyone at OAN.  

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

No CR, bro!

But let me put it this way for the football board...In his most coked-up week on the job, Chip Brown has more journalistic integrity than anyone at OAN.  

I feel like there was a point about a week before Nik Bonitto was set to announce for Texaxs when ole Chip descended to those sooty depths.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:
1 hour ago, thirtyand0 said:

Yes, like Joe Biden and his photos and support of Robert Byrd the KKK member and Senate Leader.
Gone with the Wind? Depiction of southern democrats to the !970’s.
Yeah OAN is the devil.
CNN, LSDNBC is straight up truth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Read more  

Is it painful to be so stupid that you thought these would be relevant points in this thread?

Its painful to me

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Ah, yes, the one-way street. Gundy, the man paid millions to lead the program, can go out of his way to make a political statement, but a player responding to that is just completely out of line. Your second sentence is another example of the kind of ridiculous victimhood nonsense that keeps showing up in this thread and I don't feel the need to address it again.

Oh Hubbard has a right to express his opinion. But trying to publicly shame someone for wearing a shirt you disagree with politically while they were fishing in their free time? Reverse the circumstances. Imagine Gundy taking to twitter to highlight something he disagreed with about one of his players.  He’d be crucified. 

Do you go hunting down people on your social media over tee shirts?  Would you want someone coming after you over something as simple as that?  WTFO?

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

The President regularly tweets about OAN.  Let's stop pretending no one in this country has heard of them.

You're greatly overestimating how many people use twitter or spend their days hanging on every word of the president. 

May first instinct was a radio station when I saw the letters. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Imagine Gundy taking to twitter to highlight something he disagreed with about one of his players.  He’d be crucified. 

It depends on what the player said.

If a player was out wearing Klan robes and he went off about how that will never be tolerated he wouldn't be crucified.

Do you go hunting down people on your social media over tee shirts?

Have you EVER been on a sports team? Jesus

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If a player was out wearing Klan robes and he went off about how that will never be tolerated he wouldn't be crucified.

I had no idea bad_teammate posted here. I thought he was still shining turds on the old site? 

15 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Conversely, CNN, is also an opinion platform disguising itself as a legitimate source of News.

This isn't true.

I'm not a CNN fan, but they spend actual money to send reporters all over the country and all over the world. They have editorials (written and filmed) that you disagree with or find biased, but comparing OAN to CNN that directly is just ignorant.

• Like 10
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This isn't true.

I'm not a CNN fan, but they spend actual money to send reporters all over the country and all over the world. They have editorials (written and filmed) that you disagree with or find biased, but comparing OAN to CNN that directly is just ignorant.

The comparison is the accusation that OAN, with it's pandering piddly platform, is "propaganda" and is therefore dangerous. I think you are giving OAN far too much credit. CNN, however, IS a legitimate organization capable of actual propaganda because they have "journalistic integrity." Their fear mongering throughout this pandemic could not paint that reality any clearer. But this is not a discussion for the football boards, so I will yield my time.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

No, no. Something perfectly legitimate that Gundy had a problem with. Say wearing a shirt supporting a party of platform that Gundy disagrees with. He’d be leveled in short order. 

Yes. I’ve been on a sports team. I didn’t stalk other people, keep in mind that Gundy didn’t publish the photo, and then try to shame them publicly for wearing a pretty benign tee shirt in public. 

This whole attitude that you must immediately and publicly destroy anyone you disagree with over even the pettiest thing is out of hand. 

• Like 3

The ultimate resolution ended up being two adults had a conversation about their differences and now it appears the situation is settled. I’m still dumbfounded that people actually thought the only solution for settling their differences was to fire the coaching staff. I don’t know what makes that the mindset of people that any issue has to escalate to permanent expulsion before you talk things out. 

• Like 2

Can't believe it's not obvious to many people that this was about TIMING. In April, the Gundy OANN love was laughed off when he was more explicit than just wearing a t-shirt. But since then, we've seen multiple white-on-black murders in broad daylight on video. Millions of people took to the streets worldwide in protest.

OANN consistently demonizes the protestors and their cause, and airs propaganda for Trump and law enforcement. So even though it's just a t-shirt, wearing it today is more inflammatory now than Gundy's comments in April. Just wearing that shirt is a slap in the face of everyone who believes in the BLM cause, and that's kind of a big PUBLIC story these days. Talking it over in private doesn't get Gundy off the hook.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I wonder what Buck Burnette is up to these days.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Iceman said:

LOLz at people being offended by one politically minded news network.

You're fucking kidding, right?

Yep, you got it.

That's the only thing these young men were offended about. Nothing else at all.  No sir.  Just a "network" on a shirt.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You're greatly overestimating how many people use twitter or spend their days hanging on every word of the president. 

May first instinct was a radio station when I saw the letters. 

So radio stations east of the Mississippi have call letters that always start with W

Radio stations west of the Mississippi have call letters that always start with K

And radio stations in your head have call letters that always start with O

Gundy owned up to it.  I think the story is over.  But stuff like this is just beginning nationwide though.  People are gonna have to start owning the little flags they plant to let others know how bold they are.  

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Same here.  I had never even heard of it until a few days ago and finally Googled it this morning.

Same for me. I take it as a sign I am consuming the correct news and Internet content that I did not even know this was a thing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Yep, you got it.

That's the only thing these young men were offended about. Nothing else at all.  No sir.  Just a "network" on a shirt.

Like what?

If it was so bad why did the guy return to the team and not transfer or go to the NFL? If Gundy was such a bad coach who wasn’t developing him to be a better player, why come back?  Why did it only take 4 hours to go from outrage/not playing again to hugs?  Makes no sense if Chuba was really that deeply impacted by his coaches behavior.

lmao they held a struggle session 

I met with some players and realize it’s a very sensitive issue with what’s going on in today’s society. And so we had a great meeting, and [I was] made aware of some things that players feel like can make our organization, our culture even better than it is here at Oklahoma State. And I’m looking forward to making some changes, and it starts at the top with me, and we’ve got good days ahead.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/15/mike-gundy-chuba-hubbard-post-video-regarding-oan-t-shirt/

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

Like what?

If it was so bad why did the guy return to the team and not transfer or go to the NFL? If Gundy was such a bad coach who wasn’t developing him to be a better player, why come back?  Why did it only take 4 hours to go from outrage/not playing again to hugs?  Makes no sense if Chuba was really that deeply impacted by his coaches behavior.

How much time do you think a player spends with his head coach - measure that against time spent with position coaches and his roughly 100+ teammates.

Chuba could think Gundy is a son of a bitch and still have plenty of reason to return to Stillwater.  

We have seen plenty of former players tweet things they were unhappy with, like not being able to wear durags or jewelry, or being told they would be 'sent back to the hood'.  

10 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

Like what?

Both things can be true. Gundy probably should be more sensitive to what is happening now and Hubbard probably overreacted in the moment. 

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

Can't believe it's not obvious to many people that this was about TIMING. In April, the Gundy OANN love was laughed off when he was more explicit than just wearing a t-shirt. But since then, we've seen multiple white-on-black murders in broad daylight on video. Millions of people took to the streets worldwide in protest.

OANN consistently demonizes the protestors and their cause, and airs propaganda for Trump and law enforcement. So even though it's just a t-shirt, wearing it today is more inflammatory now than Gundy's comments in April. Just wearing that shirt is a slap in the face of everyone who believes in the BLM cause, and that's kind of a big PUBLIC story these days. Talking it over in private doesn't get Gundy off the hook.

Yup wearing that shirt now is going to get seen as a little wink-y "heh, this BLM thing is kind of bullshit, am I right guys" aside because a huge part of Gundy's job being a university ambassador. I mean he's an outspoken dude with a mullet, he's not trying to blend in.

It was, in the very best case scenario, pretty dumb of him not to think about that.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yup wearing that shirt now is going to get seen as a little wink-y "heh, this BLM thing is kind of bullshit, am I right guys" aside because a huge part of Gundy's job being a university ambassador. I mean he's an outspoken dude with a mullet, he's not trying to blend in.

It was, in the very best case scenario, pretty dumb of him not to think about that.

I think he knew exactly what he was doing when he put that shirt on, which makes it even more insidious.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Actually I think that was the right move, they talked it over and Gundy/Chuba at least put some kind of quick response out there.  I’m not happy that Gundy didn’t apologize and have no doubt based on his history with poorly thought-out public statements and obvious good ole country boy background that his overall outlook doesn’t fully jive with the prevailing winds of modern stance regarding social issues (which I fully embrace)...and I say that as a Poke who is wary anytime Gundy opens his mouth and got out of Oklahoma as soon as I had my diploma, choosing Northwestern to get my Masters degree. 

I’d ask why you ‘lmao’ over the quick response put out there after what was very likely an emotional and challenging meeting of coach/players...then again based on your history here and piss-poor rep/post ratio, it’s about what I’d expect out of you.  So keep fucking that vette. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I think he knew exactly what he was doing when he put that shirt on, which makes it even more insidious.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that. Unless you know him personally and can make that statement. Whatever he said and discussed with his players seems to have worked to convince them he made a mistake and not a sign of a deeper issue. 

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

How much time do you think a player spends with his head coach - measure that against time spent with position coaches and his roughly 100+ teammates.

Chuba could think Gundy is a son of a bitch and still have plenty of reason to return to Stillwater.  

We have seen plenty of former players tweet things they were unhappy with, like not being able to wear durags or jewelry, or being told they would be 'sent back to the hood'.  

If you are offended by "sent back to South Dallas" then you wilt if you heard how black guys talk to other black guys.  Attend one practice with your young children and listen to how ALL coaches and players talk to eachother, regardless of color.  Your virgin ears will sting.

The players have a voice.  Sadly, they are crying wolf and doing nothing to actually take a stand that shows real sacrifice.  You think Eagles is going to sit out and jeopardize his future?  No way. He is just talk.  Hubbard got real mad for FOUR HOURS before he was over his anger to not play.  Who else?  Cook? How long did his little tantrum last?   All the other players on twitter who said they were also going to sit or not play after their teammate cried wolf? 

Look, if it really bothers them, and they really care, then follow through on your threat.  Take a real stand and show how much it means to you.  4 hours is an absolute joke.  A few more of these cries for wolf scenarios and they will all lose credibility to do so going forward. 

40 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I don't know.  Why don't you fill us in...on selective outrage on bullshit reporting.

You gotta ignore him.  He’s a simpleton.  Just read his posts.  There’s ample evidence provided.

I guess everyone offended by OANN’s slant and defending CNN’s slant missed the meme that Cuomo has become.  “1st amendment.  You just gotta look it up.”

52 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So radio stations east of the Mississippi have call letters that always start with W

Radio stations west of the Mississippi have call letters that always start with K

And radio stations in your head have call letters that always start with O

Gundy owned up to it.  I think the story is over.  But stuff like this is just beginning nationwide though.  People are gonna have to start owning the little flags they plant to let others know how bold they are.  

Having some experience with three letter identifiers it’s usually common practice to drop the first letter with the understanding that the last three have the truly relevant information. I know WBAP is a Dallas stationer. I know KDFW is a Texas airport. But no one uses the first letter. Which is why I thought of a radio station. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I hear ya but as has been stated he was out fishing and appears to not have purposely wore that shirt as some kind of public statement.  He needs to internally be more mindful of his place as a very public figure during a time of much-needed intense reform.  However I’m not sure I’d classify it was fully insidious, more likely he doesn’t have much time to fully digest media and got hooked with confirmation bias while casually listening to an actually-insidious ‘News’ network that confirmed his (wrong) internal viewpoint on the virus and other crap.  

I’m not giving him a pass by any means and absolutely hate what OAN is, stands for, and truly deceptive practices that further a narrative that’ll hold the ‘can you believe people actually believed this shit back in 2020?’ place in record books in the future...much like people look back at the 60’s and shake their head at the deeply-ingrained separation and outright hatred of black people.  

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He even misspelled **glet.  JFC.  Grotesque racism requires decent spelling and punctuation.

That’s what he was going for? The racial term rhyming with piglet? I thought it was something to do with the millennial term “Lit”. JFC. 

7 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Oh Hubbard has a right to express his opinion. But trying to publicly shame someone for wearing a shirt you disagree with politically while they were fishing in their free time? Reverse the circumstances. Imagine Gundy taking to twitter to highlight something he disagreed with about one of his players.  He’d be crucified. 

Do you go hunting down people on your social media over tee shirts?  Would you want someone coming after you over something as simple as that?  WTFO?

Are you saying that it's a slippery slope?

41 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Both things can be true. Gundy probably should be more sensitive to what is happening now and Hubbard probably overreacted in the moment. 

I think this is what it boils down to. Hubbard overreacted, but watch OAN’s coverage for one second on black lives matter and if I were a black man, i would need Gundy to explain where he stands. Man to man. If you just tell me to shut up and get back to work, I might expose your ass (because like it or not, of all the kids and the parents of kids he’s recruiting, 95% of the kids and their parents would be deeply offended if Gundy openly admitted he thought BLM was a farce and a terrorist group like OAN puts off. So yes, probably an over reaction, but if you think he’s offended simply because of a shirt, you’re dumb. He’s offended because he knows his coach doesn’t give a flying fuck about BLM, and probably thinks anyone who even mentions it needs to stop whining. 

• Like 6