Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I posted about this probably 100 pages ago. According to posters, we clearly killed Russian pilots in Vietnam and Korea. And that did not lead to war between us and Russia. So, it is not beyond the realm of possibility to allow mercenaries to fly planes sold or donated to the Ukranian government.

Those are decades old examples of USSR interfering in our wars.  This would be us interfering in a Russian war with a bordering country in what they view as a type of reunification/civil war.  

In any case, it can be argued exactly where the line is in terms of weapons lending tolerance, but there is definitely a line.  Massively tipping the balance of the war with our superior aircraft very likely crosses that line.  And even if we determine that it is worth the risk and we want to go that route, then we might as well use properly trained american pilots because Russians will neither know nor care who the pilots are.  If they start getting lit up by F-22s, us sending them a note saying "don't worry, those are not American pilots" won't do any good.  

Edited by synoptic

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That's nice.  But if you're wrong there's this mutual destruction doctrine that could wipe out half the civilized world...in a best case scenario. 

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. One is so unimaginable, that it's less likely. It's MORE likely the No-fly works and we save-lives.

9 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

I don't care. The fact that Ukraine isn't currently a part of NATO is NOT their fault. The threat to the West in Yemen and Syria, or Nigeria isn't anything compared to a new Cold War with half of Europe. This is a chance to take out one of America's biggest enemies, and send a message to our other adversary China. Kick them while they're down. I don't believe it will ever come to nuclear war. If we don't step in now, then when we will? After he's killed hundreds of thousands and then starts bullying and raining bombs down in Germany? The world is with us now, take advantage of it.

There also is a HUGE chance Putin backs down and there isn't any war with anyone. Only saved lives.

They will step in when there's an attack on a NATO signatory and Article 5 is triggered.

No one is going to risk nuclear war over this. It won't happen. I don't mind arguing on a message board about it, because it's harmless, but you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. 

And I agree, Ukraine not being a part of NATO is not entirely their fault. One of the big reasons Putin/Russia made the Donbas a contested area back in 2014 was to keep Ukraine out of NATO and the EU. There was no way either organization was going to allow membership while Ukraine didn't have sovereignty of their own country. Of course, it was impossible for it not to be a challenged area when Russian troops invaded Ukraine without declaring it and wiped out the Ukrainian armed forces who went to take back the area. Catch 22.

But it doesn't matter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. One is so unimaginable, that it's less likely. It's MORE likely the No-fly works and we save-lives.

Yes but if there's any likelihood at all of MAD we can't even consider shit that isn't directly affecting our allies.  It's sad as fuck but our hands are tied.  I personally wanted to push the envelope more - mercenary pilots in EuroJets lighting up the rooskies but sadly it seems we won't even go there...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

It's white Europeans.  The effect is different.  

I agree that the familiarity (they look like us) angle is valid, but I think the social media part plays just as big of a role in the way people are reacting.

3 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

I don't care. The fact that Ukraine isn't currently a part of NATO is NOT their fault. The threat to the West in Yemen and Syria, or Nigeria isn't anything compared to a new Cold War with half of Europe. This is a chance to take out one of America's biggest enemies, and send a message to our other adversary China. Kick them while they're down. I don't believe it will ever come to nuclear war. If we don't step in now, then when we will? After he's killed hundreds of thousands and then starts bullying and raining bombs down in Germany?

1) the fact that UKR is not part of NATO and the EU is absolutely their fault and no one elses. 30 years to make it happen and haven't even made an actual move towards it until RUS troops are in-country and coming towards Kyiv. not even 60% of the country supports joining the EU or NATO pre-invasion. almost a quarter support joining a customs union with Russia/Belarus/etc. have there been speedbumps? sure. let's blow the rest away. they have had 7 years to make it happen, start moving towards membership, etc and haven't. even with Russian military forces in their country.

2) we already basically are in a cold war with RUS in Europe before the invasion. we are going to be in one after this invasion almost no matter what happens.

3) know how we "take out" Russia and send a message to China? turn the entire country to glass, because that's the ONLY way they are "taken out" - or do you think that suddenly if we take out Putin that his replacement is going to be some pro-West, pro-Democracy, pro-USA replacement? because he will not be. Also, the Russian military may be shit, but attacking Russia != Shock and Awe going into Iraq.

4) if you think anything we do short of dropping a fucking nuke into Red Square is going to "send a message" to China you are wrong. they are significantly more prepared military, cyber, technology and based on what we have seen so far are way better trained. why would they look at anything happening to RUS and think "yeah, this is a reasonable comparison"?

5) don't worry about it folks, MillerEP doesn't think it will come to nuclear war. if anyone else thought this was the case with any certainty, they would have already waded into UKR conflict feet first. but they haven't.

6) glad you care about the hundreds of thousands of citizens in UKR dying - btw, currently its estimated at ~750 civilians have died. using homicide stats, about 472 homicides have happened in the US over the last 7 days. if you care about this there are many other conflicts where hundreds of thousands of citizens have already died - why don't you want to jump into those conflicts also? starting a world-wide war just because you think Putin is going to kill hundreds of thousand of people and "rain down bombs in Germany" is a bad take and ultimately based in a lack of knowledge, either on a macro scale or a micro scale based on current information. Putin != Hitler, full stop.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I don't think we can out drink them, unless we send in our finest, gulp, LSU fans.

Youre right. 

We should challenge them to a Cannabis Smoke off. 

Nerver try to out drink a Russian, but by God NEVER try to out smoke an American 

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You might be becoming a bit strident, which is diminishing the effect of what you're trying to say.

Also, you don't know much about recent history if you feel like Ukraine hasn't wanted to be a part of NATO/EU. That's simply not true. It's way more complicated than that, but the short answer is they've never had a realistic shot at it, even if huge portions have wanted to. The whole 2014 Maidan Revolution, where hundreds of thousands of people protested in Kyiv's main square while facing brutal crackdowns from Yanukuvych's security forces, was all about wanting to join NATO/EU. And that's the short answer. You're simply wrong on this account. Doesn't make you wrong on any of the rest, because you have it exactly right. But this isn't the Ukrainian people's fault. That's a rationalization to feel better about the helplessness of their current situation.

that's fair about being over the top on it.

i just don't understand the people that suddenly want to go to war with Russia (a nuclear power) over a country we are not allied with, that is not allied with our allies and who has had 30 years of opportunity to join NATO or the EU and haven't. even ignore the last 30 and let's say in the last 7 - they haven't.

it drives me nuts.

i know it is WAY more complicated than i have made it sound, but it isn't like a huge majority of their country has wanted to join (highest ever polling level is at like 62% last month, and even then another 21% in the same poll wanted to join a union with RU/Belarus) and were pushing for it non stop. they have not made moves to put a ton of pressure on either body to accept or reject their membership. they could have done more, and haven't.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

Youre right. 

We should challenge them to a Cannabis Smoke off. 

Nerver try to out drink a Russian, but by God NEVER try to out smoke an American 

Agreed. It’s not just weed either.

If you want to try candy flipping or smoke some rocks, we could fly that flag way higher than any other country.

3 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Willie Nelson to the front!

If you don't already know Snoop said Willie was the only one to ever make him tap out.

Fun story, I’ve smoked weed with willie in San Fran after one of his shows with his kid Luke circa 2007ish. 

That dude stayed until the last fan came over and talked to him. Guy in W TX grows his weed out by Ozona (on the other side of that check point)

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

It's MORE likely the No-fly works and we save-lives.

no, it isn't.

you can't just make wildass claims like this with nothing to back it up just because you think the odds of nuclear war is zero.

if Putin had said he was going to turn Kyiv into Grozny, circa 1995 that would be one thing but he hasn't. and he won't. Putin isn't trying to grind the Ukrainians to dust like Russia was doing in Chechnya.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

We laugh (because it's true and funny) but this is what happens when the people you rely on getting stuff done are 1) afraid to tell the boss they need a better plan, 2) Won't stick their neck out to try something different because that is too risky, 3) are too drunk on vodka to really care anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

1) the fact that UKR is not part of NATO and the EU is absolutely their fault and no one elses. 30 years to make it happen and haven't even made an actual move towards it until RUS troops are in-country and coming towards Kyiv. not even 60% of the country supports joining the EU or NATO pre-invasion. almost a quarter support joining a customs union with Russia/Belarus/etc. have there been speedbumps? sure. let's blow the rest away. they have had 7 years to make it happen, start moving towards membership, etc and haven't. even with Russian military forces in their country.

2) we already basically are in a cold war with RUS in Europe before the invasion. we are going to be in one after this invasion almost no matter what happens.

3) know how we "take out" Russia and send a message to China? turn the entire country to glass, because that's the ONLY way they are "taken out" - or do you think that suddenly if we take out Putin that his replacement is going to be some pro-West, pro-Democracy, pro-USA replacement? because he will not be. Also, the Russian military may be shit, but attacking Russia != Shock and Awe going into Iraq.

4) if you think anything we do short of dropping a fucking nuke into Red Square is going to "send a message" to China you are wrong. they are significantly more prepared military, cyber, technology and based on what we have seen so far are way better trained. why would they look at anything happening to RUS and think "yeah, this is a reasonable comparison"?

5) don't worry about it folks, MillerEP doesn't think it will come to nuclear war. if anyone else thought this was the case with any certainty, they would have already waded into UKR conflict feet first. but they haven't.

6) glad you care about the hundreds of thousands of citizens in UKR dying - btw, currently its estimated at ~750 civilians have died. using homicide stats, about 472 homicides have happened in the US over the last 7 days. if you care about this there are many other conflicts where hundreds of thousands of citizens have already died - why don't you want to jump into those conflicts also? starting a world-wide war just because you think Putin is going to kill hundreds of thousand of people and "rain down bombs in Germany" is a bad take and ultimately based in a lack of knowledge, either on a macro scale or a micro scale based on current information. Putin != Hitler, full stop.

1) This is not true. They applied in 2008, but then Putin got spooked, and installed his buddy Yanukovych to become President and tear up the document. Because of that, the people overthrew Yanukovych in the Euromaidan unrest because they WANT to be in the EU and in NATO. The Ukrainian people then installed a new government who reapplied in 2013. This spooked Putin again so he invaded Crimea and the eastern part of the country just a couple of months later to destabilize the region. This destabilization worked and that is why nobody let them join yet. However, NATO did lay out some reforms in 2015 they could make to pave the way, which they have been ACTIVELY working towards, which is why this Ukrainian military is leaps and bounds from the 2008 military. In June 2021 there was a summit in Brussels which re-visited the issue, and this is why Putin went in now. NOT their fault.

2) If Russia undergoes a government change that is more pro-European as opposed to openly hostile that will not be the case. They can rejoin the Western world. 

3) There are many stages between protecting the Ukrainian people and "turning all of Russia to glass." If the west shows they are united in the defense of allowing invasions of sovereign countries then they'll think twice about going into Taiwan or taking over the entire South China Sea.

4) See number 3.

5) There is historical precedence of cooler heads prevailing when close to nuclear war. Multiple instances where it has been restrained because once you go there there is no turning back. Two, in particular, were talked about earlier in this thread. It's not just me willy nilly thinking that.
edit: here are some examples https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_close_calls). Able Archer in 83 was probably the closest, followed by the 62 Cuban Missile Crisis. 

6) It's not just about saving lives, it's also about confronting an adversary to push for change while he is weak.

Also edit: I should add, I don't think it'll happen, I think we'll continue to tip-toe around Putin to not anger him, but I feel that we should.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

I don't understand why you're getting so worked up about something that is going to go the way you're arguing regardless. What is it harming you if someone has a different opinion? Even if it's blatantly wrong? Which it is. We're not going to be fighting the Russians over this. You are 100% correct on that.

As far as the above quote, you're making a simple rationalization for why it's Ukraine's fault they're being invaded, when being a part of NATO and/or EU was never an option. I love how you say it's less than 60% of the population that wants to join EU/NATO. How many people in UK voted in favor of a referendum to leave the EU? It was way less than 60%. Talking about what percentage support joining a customs union with Russia and Belarus completely ignores the dynamics there. The fact is a substantial majority has been fighting hard for closer ties with Europe. Frankly, it's been going on for pretty much Ukraine's entire history. There was a huge civil war with Polish backed troops on one side and Lenin's Bolsheviks on the other in 1917.  There was Stepan Bandera's fighters working with Nazi Germany in their invasion of the Soviet Union. It's a complicated country with a complicated history. But your efforts to put this entirely on the Ukrainian people for simply not trying hard enough to enter NATO/EU is disingenuous.

20 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

No offense, it's a good thing you aren't making the decision. You have to ask yourself, can I potentially sacrifice my family, everyone I know, my state my country for Ukraine. The answer is no, but I will be more than happy to send a care package with 7.62 mm rounds and a good luck card.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, NoName said:

250k people have died in the Civil War in Yemen and nobody was interested. somewhere between ~120k and ~150k from 06 to 18 died in the Mexican Drug War. Est 350k have died in the Boko Haram/Islamist fight in Nigeria. ~350k have died in the Syrian Civil War.

But those places don’t make defense contractors money like European conflicts or places rich with energy reserves.

Since it relates to this thread, with the wild amount of fund buying piling into corn and wheat with everything going on the US cash markets for corn and wheat have ceased to function normally.  For wheat basis has dropped sharply and most places are bidding off back months in a inverted market so the 1.50 futures move is almost flat cash price. Corn saw similar action today, and a number of corn processors have went no bid. 2008 meltdown is really the only other time we’ve seen this before. So it looks like demand is being rationed right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

candy flipping

I mean, I’m not try to split hairs or be unpatriotic but… Russians would take the gold if we had to go up against them in crack, mdma or methamphetamines. With out question. While we would destroy them in prescription pills, cannnabis and cocaine. 

just trying to offer facts

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't understand why you're getting so worked up about something that is going to go the way you're arguing regardless. What is it harming you if someone has a different opinion? Even if it's blatantly wrong? Which it is. We're not going to be fighting the Russians over this. You are 100% correct on that.

As far as the above quote, you're making a simple rationalization for why it's Ukraine's fault they're being invaded, when being a part of NATO and/or EU was never an option. I love how you say it's less than 60% of the population that wants to join EU/NATO. How many people in UK voted in favor of a referendum to leave the EU? It was way less than 60%. Talking about what percentage support joining a customs union with Russia and Belarus completely ignores the dynamics there. The fact is a substantial majority has been fighting hard for closer ties with Europe. Frankly, it's been going on for pretty much Ukraine's entire history. There was a huge civil war with Polish backed troops on one side and Lenin's Bolsheviks on the other in 1917.  There was Stepan Bandera's fighters working with Nazi Germany in their invasion of the Soviet Union. It's a complicated country with a complicated history. But your efforts to put this entirely on the Ukrainian people for simply not trying hard enough to enter NATO/EU is disingenuous.

this is 100% the case:

It's a complicated country with a complicated history.

fair enough about everything you are saying.

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

that's fair about being over the top on it.

i just don't understand the people that suddenly want to go to war with Russia (a nuclear power) over a country we are not allied with, that is not allied with our allies and who has had 30 years of opportunity to join NATO or the EU and haven't. even ignore the last 30 and let's say in the last 7 - they haven't.

it drives me nuts.

i know it is WAY more complicated than i have made it sound, but it isn't like a huge majority of their country has wanted to join (highest ever polling level is at like 62% last month, and even then another 21% in the same poll wanted to join a union with RU/Belarus) and were pushing for it non stop. they have not made moves to put a ton of pressure on either body to accept or reject their membership. they could have done more, and haven't.

62% is huge. 50.00001 of UK wanted to leave the EU, therefore it happened. 62% result in an election is basically a landslide.

Part of the reason you haven't seen more pressure put on is because NATO/EU discouraged it. If you want to marry a girl, and she keeps saying you need to make some changes first, you're not going to be very successful by going into pseudo stalker mode.

Ukraine was NEVER going to be allowed in EU/NATO as long as the Donbas region was contested. They also would have likely been forced to give up any claims to Crimea. It's huge part of why Putin made the Donbas region contested. Ukraine tried early on to take back the Donbas region by force, and the battalion sent out was wiped out by Russian troops who then went back across the border. After that it became a negotiated, protracted battle - NEGOTIATED by European countries, btw, who just wanted stability regardless of what it cost Ukraine. Ukraine has never had a legitimate chance to take back control of the Donbas, and without that they never had any kind of legitimate shot at NATO/EU membership, and in a variety of ways NATO/EU leadership let them know that. 

The most that was ever done in that regard was to tell Putin in negotiations early this year that they'd never agree to limitations on NATO membership, for Ukraine or anyone else who wanted to join. Didn't mean those countries could join, but they weren't going to pull that option off the table just to appease Putin/Russia.

Edit - Sorry, I'm just going through and responding to you while you're responding to me. Not trying to be that guy who doesn't know when to stop hammering a nail.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I mean, I’m not try to split hairs or be unpatriotic but… Russians would take the gold if we had to go up against them in crack, mdma or methamphetamines. With out question. While we would destroy them in prescription pills, cannnabis and cocaine. 

The krokodil alone...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

But your efforts to put this entirely on the Ukrainian people for simply not trying hard enough to enter NATO/EU is disingenuous.

He's not.  He's pointing out the utter and complete ideocracy of getting into a needless shooting war with a super power for a country we have no foreign obligations to protect and seem to be managing better than any expected.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BabaYaga said:

He's not.  He's pointing out the utter and complete ideocracy of getting into a needless shooting war with a super power for a country we have no foreign obligations to protect and seem to be managing better than any expected.

He is. Or was. He was doing both. I agree with that part of his posts. I don't agree with the part Ukraine has shown no inclination to join EU/NATO over the last 30 years.

4 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

USA new national motto:  We aren't number 1 in Meth! 

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

A fascist country invading a democratic sovereign nation is a big deal. It is in fact different than a Civil War in Syria, which is why the body count you keep bringing up is weird. Hell if you wanted to make a salient point, you would bring up communist China invading Tibet and us doing shit about it, but that was back in 1949. 

Someone suggesting that Putin will attack more countries other than Ukraine is not a bad take, considering a map was accidentally released showing Russian forces attacking Moldova, and Russia threatening Finland if they join NATO. That is actual provable current information. 

So I don't see why you're so worked up about this

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I dunno man, send them Candice Popp and Blind Nate. This war would be over tomorrow…

image.gif.95bf366f00ba578f526943169523c346.gif

• Haha 2