Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

And to add— in many coalition governments, the foreign ministry is not a “power ministry” or one that offers a lot of domestic political juice and so it goes to a junior partner. Senior partners like finance, defense, interior…..Control the money, control the guns. 

But protocol wise, they are the conduit on working level and implementation of foreign policy. When they aren’t synced with the senior partner or the office of government, you can get fireworks. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

750000 Russians in Ukraine by may. Damn. 

How many are alive? 

I think he got a bit out over his skis on this one. He's right that Russia will attack until they can't anymore (without compromising their own defenses elsewhere). 

But the idea that Ukraine will attack Russia after pushing them out? Absurd.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

50 minutes ago, The Dog said:

How many are alive? 

I think he got a bit out over his skis on this one. He's right that Russia will attack until they can't anymore (without compromising their own defenses elsewhere). 

But the idea that Ukraine will attack Russia after pushing them out? Absurd.

If Ukraine gets Russia out what it will want is to secure it's position with a strong military presence on their borders and then join NATO.  Hungary will work against it, but like the Nordic countries if the UK, Poland, US etc give stand alone agreements of mutual security during the transition period then it is just as good.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Saint Austin said:

It sounds like the allegation that we had something to do with the pipeline destruction is BS... but even it were true, I'd be totally fine with it.

We were getting it shut down through economic and political means though.  Blowing it up never made sense.

Russia blamed the UK.  They didn’t have the balls to officially announce that we did it, if they had actually believed that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think the Bradley’s are coming out of drawdown authority, which means existing stocks.  It’s hard to imagine the president directing the military to give up its better equipment and leaving our own forces with second tier and out of date stuff. You don’t know when you might need it. It will be interesting to see what the Ukrainians get now that we’re tapping into funding to go straight to industry. 

To be clearer, this war has gone on a year. We have thousands of Bradleys in storage. Even with drawdown authority, I don’t think that excludes -with the year’s heads up - putting some of the better optics on stuff in storage that we think will very likely be eventually shipped to Ukraine.

What annoys me is having a year to prepare and now saying oh, “it will take a while to have good optics because we have to upgrade and/or modify - or send the newer stuff - so we send the older tech stuff. “

We should’ve begun those upgrade storage kit tasks in April or May of 2022.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That "transcript" is absolutely bonkers. 

Yeah that sounds about as natural as a Tommy Wiseau script only with better stage direction. 

9 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^Nothing to see here, just running over their own dead

Hey at least we now know that tank driver from the graduation ceremony made it to the front. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

We were getting it shut down through economic and political means though.  Blowing it up never made sense.

Russia blamed the UK.  They didn’t have the balls to officially announce that we did it, if they had actually believed that.

They were probably banking on Europe not being able to come up with supplies of natty gas on their own and hoping to use that as leverage.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

750000 Russians in Ukraine by may. Damn. 

How the hell do they expect to move, supply, and feed them?  They knocked down so many housing units it is going to be nearly impossible to accomplish this feat.   The meat grinder method only works if you are winning (see Czar Nicholas) and Russia only wins if the US is saving their ass and handling their logistics/supplies.  

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Nivek said:

How the hell do they expect to move, supply, and feed them? 

We may very well have a better picture of what’s going on than Putin, and I’m not kidding - he may have a chain of people doing their best Frank Dreben impressions and telling him that everything is okay and they have the logistics chain and supplies to handle them, and get them to the front.  Nobody wants to admit they’re moving troops in Scooby Doo vans and transporting artillery shells in civilian cars,

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

We may very well have a better picture of what’s going on than Putin, and I’m not kidding - he may have a chain of people doing their best Frank Dreben impressions and telling him that everything is okay and they have the logistics chain and supplies to handle them, and get them to the front.  Nobody wants to admit they’re moving troops in Scooby Doo vans and transporting artillery shells in civilian cars,

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to keep on my toes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sounds like the plot for Wages of Fear:

"A massive fire erupts at one of the SOC oil fields. The only way to extinguish the flames and cap the well is an explosion caused by nitroglycerine. With short notice and lack of proper equipment, it must be transported within jerrycans placed in two large trucks from the SOC headquarters, 500 km (300 miles) away. Due to the poor condition of the roads and the highly volatile nature of nitroglycerine, the job is considered too dangerous for the unionized SOC employees."

I keep thinking about the scene in the film Glory, when the troops face their first rebel battle.  After the first skirmish, which they win the forest is full of smoke and eerily quiet, and Morgan Freeman yells, "here they come!", and of course the rebs make an assault that breaks down to hand to hand combat.  Every time I read about the russian reserves its what I think about.  A methed up horde of idiots just charging in an attempt to overrun emplacements.