Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

27 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Flagged. But goes back to the point of fog of war. Moving in these conditions can be quite confusing. Pretty graphic. 

Holy moly. That's dangerous work right there. Thanks for the post. 

From Noelreports:

"SSO units of the 73rd Naval Special Operations Center went behind enemy lines during a recent mission in the south."

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 5

The coming battles between Ukraine and Russia ultimately will boil down to which side’s preparations prevail, strategists say
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukraines-offensive-is-a-battle-of-readiness-e26d3825?st=8rw90davoyuqrl2&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

No hack or cheat code for this one. I’m glad to see Ukraine take a pause to re-assess. It sounds like the first line of resistance, stocked with disposable Russian troops, is tougher than expected, the mines are a big problem, and the second line of defenses is supposed to be a bitch, with better Russian troops. Nothing wrong with challenging the assumptions the plan was based on. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BamaATL said:

The slow roll of what they are doing is really beginning to come into focus in my opinion.  The probing attacks serve multi purposes

1.  To test the enemy's strength across the lines

2.  To get the enemy to move and expose their reserves

3.  To exhaust their capabilities, both in terms of human capability, but also weapons and ammunition

Meanwhile, they've been steadily destroying ammo dumps and cutting resupply.  When the time is right, the Russians will be physically exhausted, out of ammo, and with no hope of resupply; be it ammo or humans.  That's a pretty good formula for a rout.  It's a slow roll doing it this way, but given what they have to work with, it may well be the best way or even the only way.  

Kinda like what we did in the 1st Gulf War?  We did it from the air, but still.

35 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Will we see an American news report on this migrant crisis?

This highlights why KIA stats don’t tell the story of this war. There is a percentage of the Russian forces they really don’t give a shit about. 

That these troops receive almost no training is a feature, not a bug. Same with the archaic rifles. Their job is to match forward and help identify the locations of Ukrainian forces, so Russia can fire artillery at them. If they’re shot and either wounded or killed, Russia will exert no extra effort to retrieve them. 

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Flagged. But goes back to the point of fog of war. Moving in these conditions can be quite confusing. Pretty graphic. 

The first 3 looked like they didn't have any weapons. Not that it matters. The last guy didnt even know his own trenches well enough to clear the alcove he was killed from. 

If this was indeed behind enemy lines,  and these Russians were actual combat soldiers and  not logistics personnel then Ukraine is about to stomp a mud hole. 

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

The first 3 looked like they didn't have any weapons. Not that it matters. The last guy didnt even know his own trenches well enough to clear the alcove he was killed from. 

If this was indeed behind enemy lines,  and these Russians were actual combat soldiers and  not logistics personnel then Ukraine is about to stomp a mud hole. 

These are the best trenches I've seen from the Russians and, if prior posts are correct about the second line being better prepared, then they could well be.

But I don't know shit about fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

This highlights why KIA stats don’t tell the story of this war. There is a percentage of the Russian forces they really don’t give a shit about. 

True. When this is all over, the tale of the tape will be professional Russian soldiers KIA or seriously wounded (plus of course equipment/armor/weaponry taken out).

I disagree with your earlier post about Ukraine reassessing after meeting fierce resistance. It appears none of Ukraine's new strike groups have entered combat yet. The front line skirmishes are purportedly to bring Russian artillery within range of counterbattery fire. Yet Ukraine is still gaining ground on several axes. I think they are purposely slowplaying the start of the counteroffensive to destroy as much Russian artillery & ammo, plus air and air defense assets. They have been hitting a lot of artillery if you look at the daily totals, and have taken out four helicopters in the last few days. Looks like its going according to plan to me.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, texastough said:

True. When this is all over, the tale of the tape will be professional Russian soldiers KIA or seriously wounded (plus of course equipment/armor/weaponry taken out).

All of the heavy losses of the "professional" Russian soldiers last year (those who had made it a career or were deep into their conscription and had finished all of their training), combined with them gutting their training battalions last year in the misguided belief that they just needed a quick boost of forces for short-term campaigns and so wouldn't need those training battalions for the long-term is going to weigh heavily on them.

This is especially true when it became clear that it wouldn't be 3 weeks or even 3 months, and they realized that they had to mobilize hundreds of thousands of new conscripts, but didn't have the training battalions because they had been gutted or lost in combat (since their training battalions are attached to regular army brigades/divisions that went into combat). That's a huge institutional loss right there - maybe it made sense for Russian soldiers to do their final training with active-duty units in peace time or even during more "minor" wars (Chechnya), but if those active-duty units are in the middle of a war that is devastating the Russian Army, there is no decent training to be done, it's give a dude a rifle and put them on the line, when all they've had is 3-4 weeks of initial training on how to prepare rations or wear a uniform.

32 minutes ago, texastough said:

I disagree with your earlier post about Ukraine reassessing after meeting fierce resistance. It appears none of Ukraine's new strike groups have entered combat yet. The front line skirmishes are purportedly to bring Russian artillery within range of counterbattery fire. Yet Ukraine is still gaining ground on several axes. I think they are purposely slowplaying the start of the counteroffensive to destroy as much Russian artillery & ammo, plus air and air defense assets. They have been hitting a lot of artillery if you look at the daily totals, and have taken out four helicopters in the last few days. Looks like its going according to plan to me.

And those probing attacks are clearly taking more ground than anybody expected.

And when you zoom back to the 30,000 foot level and you see all of the ammo dumps they've been methodically destroying, and knowing that Russia can't easily replace those munitions/etc. for various reasons.....  Meanwhile Russia has been expending their missiles on apartment buildings and schools and hospitals or empty streets in the rear, while Ukraine is using them to pound away at strategic targets such as said ammo dumps.

We might be looking back at Russian blowing the dam and trying desperate things like turning 60 year-old tanks into VBIEDs as a sign of how desperate they are.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

That trench video is insane. What the fuck were those ruskies doing just waltzing around without a care (or gun?) in the world?

Again, like all things Russia, this only makes sense if vodka is involved.

Reportedly its from special forces who got behind russian lines, so those guys probably thought they were fellow russian soldiers firing at Ukrainians

• Hook 'Em 1

This shelling occurred in Volnovakha (red pin) which is about halfway along the highway between the major Donetsk and Mariupol. The closest Ukrainian forces are in/around Vuhledar about 18 miles to the northwest.

image.thumb.png.9d570af277cb2db0e2625776349643ed.png

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Not a whole lot happens in this long clip below so feel free to skim it but, still, moping up to find kill/capture remaining Russians must be stressful af. 

Video of that Ka-52 posted above. It has a dual rotor where the blades circulate in opposite directions, which provides it stability so that it doesn't need a tail rotor. I saw a report somewhere that it, unfortunately, made it back to base.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, texastough said:

Reportedly its from special forces who got behind russian lines, so those guys probably thought they were fellow russian soldiers firing at Ukrainians

Also noticed how shitty their gear is. Those helmets looked like WW2 Era red army shit.

Edited by MissingInAction
Shitty
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

One of the things he related is that the Ukrainian girl he's friends with at university has a summer job there

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

the boy commented that if the war and training is still going on next summer (and hoping that it's not....but it probably will be), he may sign up to work at one of the facilities. 

Undefeated

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, texastough said:

Given how well-constructed those trenches were, and that they looked like they'd been lived in for a while, I'm guessing it was non-infantry Russians as well - could have been working air-defense or artillery or something along those lines.  Basically, POGs, REMFS, whatever, just non-infantry.  Guys in rear areas probably thought they'd have some warning of Ukrainian troops.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, butthurt said:

Wait....so, assuming all of that is true....Russia knew that there was a western weapon that could easily be supplied to the area that could have great effectiveness against Russian soldiers, and Russia decided to....create the conditions favorable for that weapon (yeah, yeah, they accuse Ukraine of the dam attack, whatever)?

Stupidity is Russia's #1 natural resource.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Minister of Defense of #Ukraine Oleksiy Reznikov, in an interview with Current Time TV, stated that on February 24, 2022, Lukashenko's Minister of Defense Khrenin called him and offered to sign the Act of Surrender of Ukraine.

"Everyone has their own hobby. I am not personally acquainted with the Russian Defense Minister, I do not know his level of intelligence, so I am not ready to comment. The only thing I can comment on is that he had a strange behavioral movement on February 24, when he asked the Minister of Defense of #Belarus Khrenin to act as a messenger for his messages. After lunch, I received a call from the Belarusian minister with a proposal to sign an Act of Surrender. It was funny," Reznikov said.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5