Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Think most people knew that Wagner were in no ways the “good guys,” but were hoping that it would topple the regime and at least open various factions to complete for the top position. Tough when the power has a nukes, but not likely that the opposition that we generally support would have the military power to start the revolution. Would be hoping for them to emerge later. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

So you’ve got choices for the new post-putin Russia. Let’s see: there are Wagner like Bond villain types. Neo-Nazis. Left fascists. Right fascists. Czarist restoration nutjobs. Mafyia groups. Russian nationalist whackos. Russian orthodox crown of Constantine end times enablers. Any less extreme folks are dead or in the gulag

We won't get Alexei Navalny - would be amazing/awesome, but he'd be killed in short order.

What we can hope to get is somebody who was/is wealthy, who wants open relations with the West, who wants to get Russia back in a position of not being laughed at by everybody around them, who wants to deal with countries other than Iran, who wants to get their industries back up and fully running, who doesn't want to be bent over by the Chinese.  That would mean getting out of Ukraine, maybe sending some folks to The Hague, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Clue #14325 of why the Russians are horrible people.

Putin is angling for that aggy Hall of Champions.  Of course, if Russia had actually pulled off the stats he's talking about, they'd be blasting proof of it out all over Russian social media.  But they don't because they didn't.  Instead, they focus their efforts on killing civilians.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Rage+1 4

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russia's losing this war many different ways, but one of the dumbest fucking ways is using their limited supply of missiles against civilian targets instead of military targets.

I think this goes back to the idea of equating the capabilities of the Russian tech to our own. We can make the tech and systems to identify the targets and the guidance to get that tech there to perform the surgical strike on major targets. It is becoming obvious that the Russian tech can’t.

Even if you are talking a 1/2% variance in the targeting system at 300 km out is a circle 1.5 km wide as acceptable targeting. If you talking a 0.1% variance we are still saying 300 m.   That is a great broad stroke weapon but is ineffectual against true hardened targets. 

There is a reason why the Russians are doing their precision work from close and their retaliatory terror strikes from afar…

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Putin is angling for that aggy Hall of Champions.  Of course, if Russia had actually pulled off the stats he's talking about, they'd be blasting proof of it out all over Russian social media.  But they don't because they didn't.  Instead, they focus their efforts on killing civilians.

Ah, but you have to understand Putin-speak. For example, when he says 41 tanks, he means 41 water tanks. (Them cows gonna go thirsty!)

Or when he says 280 vehicles, he literally means vehicles, as in, passenger cars. (Take that, commuters!)

And when he says over 100 armored cars, he means cars that had been Armor Alled by fastidious owners. (That'll teach those clean freaks!)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Sanctions in Africa starting vs. Wagner. DOS Statement. 

Antony J. Blinken, Secretary of State

The United States is imposing sanctions on several entities in the Central African Republic (CAR) today for their connection to the transnational criminal organization known as the Wagner Group and for their involvement in activities that undermine democratic processes and institutions in the CAR through illicit trade in the country’s natural resources.

We are also designating one Russian national who has served as a Wagner executive in Mali.  Wagner has used its operations in Mali both to obtain revenue for the group and its owner, Yevgeniy Prigozhin, as well as to procure weapons and equipment to further its involvement in hostilities in Ukraine.

The United States has also issued a new business risk advisory focused on the gold industry across sub-Saharan Africa.  Specifically, this advisory highlights how illicit actors such as Wagner exploit this resource to gain revenue and sow conflict, corruption, and other harms throughout the region. Death and destruction has followed in Wagner’s wake everywhere it has operated, and the United States will continue to take actions to hold it accountable.

https://www.state.gov/sanctioning-entities-and-individual-connected-to-wagner-group-in-africa/

Thoughts on significance of this?  As noted above, we've known Wagner was bad for a long time and so has anyone that has done business with them.  Presumably could have imposed these sanctions for a long time now.  So why today?  

15 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Thoughts on significance of this?  As noted above, we've known Wagner was bad for a long time and so has anyone that has done business with them.  Presumably could have imposed these sanctions for a long time now.  So why today?  

Seems like it corresponds to Russia admitting Wagner is a state-backed militia?

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Pressure. We could not hammer them earlier. Now we can. We are not happy with how despots in Africa are aligning with the fucktards. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Pressure. We could not hammer them earlier. Now we can. We are not happy with how despots in Africa are aligning with the fucktards. 

This, I think it's a very public shot across the bow, and I suspect in the near future we will conduct cruise strikes against Wagner positions across the globe.  In the past, I think that even though we've already designated Wagner as a terrorist organization, we've given pause as to hitting them because their ties with Russia gave them some level of cover.  Now that they are disavowed by the Russian state, I think they are fair game.  As a matter of diplomacy we are going to give people a public heads up and after a few warnings things are going to go boom.  CAR makes a good candidate for this to happen, if for no other reason it's not in the Middle East.  If I am going to send a message, this lines up.  Additionally, unlike Ukraine or even Syria, there is no reason to believe their is any actual uniformed Russian personnel their; which equals legally strike on terrorists.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

14 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

This, I think it's a very public shot across the bow, and I suspect in the near future we will conduct cruise strikes against Wagner positions across the globe.  In the past, I think that even though we've already designated Wagner as a terrorist organization, we've given pause as to hitting them because their ties with Russia gave them some level of cover.  Now that they are disavowed by the Russian state, I think they are fair game.  

Will we need to?  Me thinks Putin will take care of this  himself.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Will we need to?  Me thinks Putin will take care of this  himself.

I think we do need to do this, because it will send a much more clear message globally coming from the United States than whatever murky shit the Russians might do.  (Also, I doubt their ability to actually do a cruise missile strike like this).  Wagner is now a designated terrorist organization recognized as such by the United States and will be treated accordingly.  Destroying one base on a global stage should send a loud and clear message to any Wagnerite operating globally.  The United States will find you, and we will kill you, go home or to Belarus, but don't stay where you are thinking it's business as usual.  If you do, you will die.  

That is a very clear and concise message to them, and in my opinion, one that needs to be sent.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

"A senior Russian general [Surovikin] had advance knowledge of Yevgeny Prigozhin's plans to rebel against Russia's military leadership, according to U.S. officials ...there are signs that other Russian generals may have also supported Prigozhin's attempt"

What I love about this, is that it could be 100% bullshit and was put out there by U.S. officials to ramp up paranoia amongst the Russians - some FSB type is liable to read about it and pass the info along and either resources will be wasted, or possibly even some purging.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

What I love about this, is that it could be 100% bullshit and was put out there by U.S. officials to ramp up paranoia amongst the Russians - some FSB type is liable to read about it and pass the info along and either resources will be wasted, or possibly even some purging.

That was my first thought. But I think in order for us to do that, we would want more chaos/fear in the Kremlin.

But I’m not sure that’s the case. We seem to be supporting this war in a way that sees the best possible path as Russia leaving Ukraine AND Putin staying in power.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

That was my first thought. But I think in order for us to do that, we would want more chaos/fear in the Kremlin.

But I’m not sure that’s the case. We seem to be supporting this war in a way that sees the best possible path as Russia leaving Ukraine AND Putin staying in power.

I'm sure our intel is well aware of who is competent and who isn't.  Getting this out in the open makes sense to me only if we are trying to get them to degrade their own capabilities internally (via a purge or whatever).  Considering the fragile state Putin is in, and the likelihood he starts having people whacked anyway, maybe he will take the bait, true or not.  

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

This, I think it's a very public shot across the bow, and I suspect in the near future we will conduct cruise strikes against Wagner positions across the globe.  In the past, I think that even though we've already designated Wagner as a terrorist organization, we've given pause as to hitting them because their ties with Russia gave them some level of cover.  Now that they are disavowed by the Russian state, I think they are fair game.  As a matter of diplomacy we are going to give people a public heads up and after a few warnings things are going to go boom.  CAR makes a good candidate for this to happen, if for no other reason it's not in the Middle East.  If I am going to send a message, this lines up.  Additionally, unlike Ukraine or even Syria, there is no reason to believe their is any actual uniformed Russian personnel their; which equals legally strike on terrorists.  

This is the path I was wondering if we might be going down.   Will be an interesting side piece of drama to the Ukraine conflict.  Seems to me Pringles really didn't think this through.  He should have just kept on to Moscow and let the chips fall.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BamaATL said:

We designated Wagner a Transnational Criminal Organization by Treasury but they aren’t a designated Foreign Terrorist Organization. Lots of similarities in sanctions effects and tools but not quite as tough as getting slapped with the terrorist label. 

• Hook 'Em 3