Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Germany publicly telling Russia not to go after Poland.

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-07-21-23/h_13683193b1ef7848f917d70d52cdea34

Germany has pledged to support its NATO ally Poland in defending its eastern flank in case of a potential attack from Wagner fighters in neighboring Belarus. During a news conference in Prague on Friday, German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius responded to a question about whether Germany was concerned by the Wagner group’s presence in Belarus and the prospect of an attack along Poland's border.

“We are all together, always in the closest coordination, not only when we physically meet at the level of defense ministers, but also otherwise. Where our Polish friends need support, if the worst comes to the worst, they will get it,” Pistorius responded.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Reporting that Girkin is to be detained until (at least?.?) September 18. He deserves to rot in jail but I am honestly going to miss his doom posting/ calling the decision makers in Moscow “pink ponies”, etc. His takes on the Russian’s shit show did add to the bouquet.

• Hook 'Em 4

I think it’s about time that native Russian rebel groups< Cough, cough> take out power plants and/or transmissions lines in Moscow and St. Petersburg.   

I think we’ve established how stupid the general Rusky populace is, and how gullible.   A Fox News watching populace.   Normally I would say they spend most of their time watching bad TV, getting drunk and screwing. But given their demographics, they seem to just watch TV and get drunk.

Let’s take away their TV and see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I think it’s about time that native Russian rebel groups< Cough, cough> take out power plants and/or transmissions lines in Moscow and St. Petersburg.   

I think we’ve established how stupid the general Rusky populace is, and how gullible.   A Fox News watching populace.   Normally I would say they spend most of their time watching bad TV, getting drunk and screwing. But given their demographics, they seem to just watch TV and get drunk.

Let’s take away their TV and see what happens.

An EMP that took out their TVs and cell phones, they would drink themselves to death within the month. In the US, it would probably take 3-4 months.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Informative article based mostly on Michael Kofman's reporting on the different tactics Russia is using in their defensive lines. Absent a true game changer, it makes sense why Ukraine is focusing on Bahkmut right now- it's probably the most bang for your buck right now politically speaking.

Russia built fake trenches along the front lines to lure Ukrainian soldiers into deadly explosive traps, researchers found

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-built-fake-explosive-trench-traps-to-lure-ukrainian-troops-2023-7 

Spoiler

A Ukrainian paratrooper takes shelter in a trench from a BM-21 Grad multiple rocket launcher attack on July 5,2022 in Seversk, Ukraine.

A Ukrainian paratrooper takes shelter in a trench from a BM-21 Grad multiple rocket launcher attack on July 5,2022 in Seversk, Ukraine.
A Ukrainian paratrooper takes shelter in a trench from a BM-21 Grad multiple rocket launcher attack on July 5,2022 in Seversk, Ukraine. Laurent van der Stockt/Getty Images
Russia has created layers of formidable defenses and fortifications to hold off Ukrainian advances.
Among them are fake trenches designed to lure Ukrainians into a death trap, researchers found on a recent Ukraine trip.
These obstacles are among the many challenges standing in the way of the Ukrainian counteroffensive.

Ukrainian forces know how to clear a trench. In fact, we've seen them do it flawlessly. But what happens when a trench isn't a trench?

Russian forces built a vast, complex network of trenches and other battlefield obstacles, such as anti-tank barriers and minefields, ahead of Ukraine's counteroffensive.

And while many of the trenches are actual Russian combat positions, others have been traps, researchers learned from front-line Ukrainian forces.

Russia's military "has continued to adapt," Michael Kofman, a leading Russia expert at the Center for Naval Analyses, said in a War on the Rocks podcast discussion published Thursday following a recent trip to Ukraine with other war experts.

"They build out fake trenches. They have mine trenches," Kofman said, explaining that they attempt to "lure Ukrainian forces into trenches that have been mined" with remote-activated mines "and then blow up the mines."

"Once forces jump into them, they have parts of trenches that are intentionally empty," he said, characterizing it as an attempt "to get Ukrainians into those trenches, to then essentially blow them up."

A paratrooper from the 81st Airmobile Battalion takes shelter in a trench from a BM-21 Grad multiple rocket launcher attack which has destroyed a neighboring house on July 5,2022 in Seversk, Ukraine.
A paratrooper from the 81st Airmobile Battalion takes shelter in a trench from a BM-21 Grad multiple rocket launcher attack which has destroyed a neighboring house on July 5,2022 in Seversk, Ukraine.  Laurent van der Stockt for Le Monde/Getty Images

Clearing a trench is a difficult battlefield task that requires a coordination of artillery and maneuver forces.

A recent video released by Ukrainian special forces showed a trench-clearing operation in which the Russians were caught off guard and defeated by Ukrainians using well executed tactics, but not every battle is guaranteed to go their way.

The possibility that the trench Ukrainian infantry are rushing into might be an explosive trap makes things immensely more difficult.

Kofman said that the kinds of adaptations happening in the Russian military go beyond routine defense.

From his conversations with Ukrainian military personnel on the front lines, which he got close to during his visit, he was able to learn that Russia is also doing tricky things like stacking anti-tank mines in order to tear up mine-clearing vehicles able to withstand the explosive force produced by one or two mines but not necessarily more than that.

Russia "is doubling, tripling them up," he said of the anti-tank mines. Russian approaches put "high-value targets" Ukraine cannot afford to lose at risk, threatening their survivability.

When it comes to land mines, others in Ukraine have observed some similar tricks by the Russians.

Ryan Hendrickson, a former US Army Special Forces Engineer who cleared improvised explosives in Afghanistan and is now working as a volunteer removing mines in Ukraine, talked with Ukrainian Toronto Television this week about some of the schemes he and his team have encountered.

Hendrickson said they have come across extremely complex minefields in which anti-tank mines are protected by anti-personnel mines and other explosives surrounded by booby traps.

The purpose of a setup like this is to maim or kill anyone involved in the de-mining process.

But when it comes to the Ukrainian counteroffensive, Russian land mines — which in addition to killing troops directly also slow advancing forces and expose them to enemy artillery, missiles, and airstrikes — are only part of the problem.

Standing in the way of a Ukrainian breakthrough, the Russian military has regular forces, motor rifle units, Spetsnaz units, and so on holding the lines, Kofman explained. They have a lot of artillery, and the Russian "entrenchments include incredibly dense minefields, anti-tank and anti personnel [mines] layered upon each other."

Russia also has a lot of anti-tank weaponry deployed on the forward lines, as well as drones, particularly one-way Lancet drones, and loitering munitions. They also have attack helicopters that have put dents in the Ukrainian offensive.

"And they've dug in extensively in terms of cementing fortifications, having bunkers, having tunnels in some parts of the main line," Kofman said, pointing out this formidable defense has been months in the making.

And key challenges for the Ukrainians as they face off against these defenses is a lack of the kind of weaponry they need most, as well as their inability to execute combined arms operations at scale.

Franz-Stefan Gady, an expert at the Center for New American Security who also recently visited Ukraine for research, said that in this situation, "absent a sudden collapse of Russian defenses," he suspects that "this will remain a bloody attritional fight with reserve units being fed in incrementally."

"I think this offensive," Kofman said in the podcast discussion of ongoing developments in Ukraine and the push to batter the Russian lines, "is likely to go on not just for weeks, but for months."

"I think it's going to see this extensive attritional phase with grinding fighting with incremental gains by Ukrainian forces, and that it's going to require a great deal of artillery ammunition and adaptation," he continued, adding "it's very difficult to conduct an offensive like this against a well-prepared defense."

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

If you're talking about the nuclear power plant, it's a decent amount further west.

My guess since the Dniper is starting to dry out after the Russians blowing the dam, the UKA are now going to see what happens if they put pressure on the Tomak corridor where the reinforcements come from. 

If they come from the East, then the UKA should be able to flex more on that region and depending where they come from finish the encirclement of Balmut.

If they come from the west in Crimea, then it might be time to see what type of havoc can be done from Kherson. If none come at all they try and finally break the defensive line and go all out towards Melitopol 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

If you're talking about the nuclear power plant, it's a decent amount further west.

I was looking at the maps below - if I'm reading the location of Robotyne right, and they take that little area, if they swing west towards Vasylivka (which is on the Dnipro river, almost straight north from Melitopol), the major road(s) between Melitopol and the power plant are within 30-40 km (50-60 by road).

Vasylivka is the circled area below (power plant is slightly NW, a little point sticking out into the river).  If they took that, they've made it extremely difficult to get forces from/through Melitopol to the power plant.

I could be wrong though, because there's a lot of duplicate place names, and the translations have a problem with some of them.  

Edit: Like @Laxtonto said, they have some major options to the east/south if they take Robotyne.

e8f0eb96e976e59892f989e0c4eddacf

DraftUkraineCOTJuly%2021,2023.png

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

The rest of the thread is also interesting and goes into further detail about the report. The regime isn't worried about its left, but its right

ChrisO_wiki
@ChrisO_wiki

17/ "For example, in the program 'Evening with Vladimir Solovyov' there is every time essentially a gang rape of the authorities. The speakers are constantly kicking the authorities for various shortcomings in their activities."

18/ The report notes that many of the 'ultra-patriots' have criticised difficulties in military operations

19/ It complains that "a large number of war correspondents who are sent from our official media ... [should not] spout all sorts of rubbish in their Telegram feeds."

20/ ... these figures think that at this stage it is necessary to drum into the heads of the population the existence of a huge number of problems and the traitors who create these problems."

21/ It warns that 'ultra-patriots' have created "an image of a so-called "fifth column" around Putin, which creates problems and which does not let the right information and true patriots reach Putin upstairs." The report forecasts an erosion of confidence in the government.

22/ ... "when confidence in the institutions of power in the institutions of power is lost, [they will] strike a final blow to the president and declare that "the fish rots from the head," preparing the way for Putin's overthrow.

23/ The next Russian presidential election in March 2024 is highlighted as the moment when the blow will come from "the information troops of NATO and Ukraine." Ukrainian propaganda is said to have become much more sophisticated and aimed specifically at Russians.

24/ "At this point, "the public, tired of the flow of negative news and failures, will be convinced that the "fifth column" and enemies of the state are in charge of our president.

25/ Then it will be possible to tell the public directly that Putin is an undesirable figure in the leadership of the country, that he is incapable of securing victories, or to effectively manage the army, has brought the country to a dead end, has quarrelled with the international community, and so on."

It advises that the Kremlin should "talk to those of the major information players and stakeholders who are able to hear."

27/ "Kartapolov, Gurulev, Prigozhin, Tsarev, Simonyan, a number of political analysts - they all need to be persuaded to stop whipping up critical hysteria and talking about the shortcomings and so on.

29/ "We must explain to them firmly that now you are clearly working for our enemies,  ... give them clear instructions that they should curtail this hysterical activity ...

31/ "We need to hold a big high-level meeting with them and demand to lower the temperature, to turn down the thermostat, so to speak."

Edited by PTINS
typo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PTINS said:

ChrisO_wiki
@ChrisO_wiki

17/ "For example, in the program 'Evening with Vladimir Solovyov' there is every time essentially a gang rape of the authorities. The speakers are constantly kicking the authorities for various shortcomings in their activities."

18/ The report notes that many of the 'ultra-patriots' have criticised difficulties in military operations

2 hours ago, PTINS said:

21/ It warns that 'ultra-patriots' have created "an image of a so-called "fifth column" around Putin, which creates problems and which does not let the right information and true patriots reach Putin upstairs." The report forecasts an erosion of confidence in the government.

22/ ... "when confidence in the institutions of power in the institutions of power is lost, [they will] strike a final blow to the president and declare that "the fish rots from the head," preparing the way for Putin's overthrow.

2 hours ago, PTINS said:

25/ Then it will be possible to tell the public directly that Putin is an undesirable figure in the leadership of the country, that he is incapable of securing victories, or to effectively manage the army, has brought the country to a dead end, has quarrelled with the international community, and so on."

It advises that the Kremlin should "talk to those of the major information players and stakeholders who are able to hear."

I never thought about it, but yeah, those evening news hosts have spent the past 500+ days telling their audiences that not enough is being done, and over time that could easily leave the people to believe "why isn't Putin doing something, how long will this continue?"

45 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^I'm always suspect of those videos, mostly because the Ukrainians wrap themselves up in blue, yellow, or green tape. These don't, are laying weirdly, no obvious signs of trauma/blood, and are too bunched up. Screams fake to me.

Early on Russia literally posted a fake video like that. You could see in another video some of the "dead" soldiers getting up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^I'm always suspect of those videos, mostly because the Ukrainians wrap themselves up in blue, yellow, or green tape. These don't, are laying weirdly, no obvious signs of trauma/blood, and are too bunched up. Screams fake to me.

Yeah, so many of the videos of Ukrainians show them with the tape, that when I don't see said tape, I assume they are Russians.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not all news is good news. 

Minefields, fortifications and Russian air power have combined to largely block big advances by Ukrainian troops in their offensive
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukraines-lack-of-weaponry-and-training-risks-stalemate-in-fight-with-russia-f51ecf9?st=pxkr8l5egzcidgo&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

My opinion? Things that could change the stalemate for the better:

-more and better weapon systems to Ukraine. 

-Russian economic/political collapse

-strategic mistakes by Russia

Things that can change it for the worse:

-Drop in US support

-Ukrainian political collapse (the economy has already collapsed)

-Ukrainian strategic errors  

The upcoming US elections will bring out our worst. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 4